Something wrong with my Daz Studio

My 3D SpinMy 3D Spin Posts: 600
edited February 2019 in New Users

I used to easaly place 3-4 figures in a scene and in an envirorment and preview it and then render.
But now if i put 2 figures - DAZ becomes unresponsive and i have to shut it down with Task manager
even on the preview...Should i reinstall DAZ or what could have gone wrong? My Disc space runs up
to a 100% and makes my whole computer unresponsive for a long time...

Post edited by Chohole on

Comments

• DustRiderDustRider Posts: 2,691

Is it disk space that runs to 100%, or disk usage?

If it is disk space, then you need to either uninstall a few things, or get a larger hard drive. If it is disk usage, then you are most likely running out of RAM, and DS is using swap space/disk on the hard drive which will bring things to a crawl. Make sure you have no other programs open at the same time to ensure you have more free RAM (having several tabs open in a web browesr can eat up RAM pretty fast). Also, some programs will continue to "use" RAM after closing them down, and the only way to reclain the "lost" RAM is to reboot the computer.

How much RAM does your system have?

• My 3D SpinMy 3D Spin Posts: 600
    edited February 2019
    DustRider said:

Is it disk space that runs to 100%, or disk usage?

If it is disk space, then you need to either uninstall a few things, or get a larger hard drive. If it is disk usage, then you are most likely running out of RAM, and DS is using swap space/disk on the hard drive which will bring things to a crawl. Make sure you have no other programs open at the same time to ensure you have more free RAM (having several tabs open in a web browesr can eat up RAM pretty fast). Also, some programs will continue to "use" RAM after closing them down, and the only way to reclain the "lost" RAM is to reboot the computer.

How much RAM does your system have?

It is disk Usage and i have  8GB RAM

Post edited by Richard Haseltine on
  • DustRiderDustRider Posts: 2,691

Ok, that helps a lot. For the DS content being produced now, 8Gb is pretty minimal for DS. My guess is that you are running out of RAM, and when all of your RAM is used, then the system is using your disk drive as extra RAM, which is really slow compared to RAM, which is why your system becomes unresponsive (wait long enough and it will return control, but it does make it virtually un-usable). With only 8Gb, you will really need to be careful with how much and what you put in a scene, especially if your using Iray (it virtually doubles the system resources needed). Scene Optimizer (on sale right now) should help a great deal to keep scene sizes manageable.

The big question is what changed to make your system use more RAM? You definitely should make sure all other programs are closed while working with DS, that is the most likely cause. But if you could have the same figures without lag before. the big question would be what changed recently? Did you install anything new? Did you just start using Iray (it will take about twice the RAM)? Or, is one of the figures you are trying to use a new one, or maybe a new outfit or props? There are some things in the store that use huge amounts of RAM, so if you trying to use something different, that may be the cause as well.