Ghastly's Ghastly Freebees. (Ghastly's Gizmo-trons)

Comments

• ghastlycomicghastlycomic Posts: 2,528
    edited December 1969

http://www.sharecg.com/v/74507/view/21/DAZ-Studio/Ghastlys-Soldiers-Tunic-Genesis-1

Here's some skimpwear for the boys. A fantasy soldier's tunic with lots of parts for you to mix and match. Enjoy as you please.

soldier_tunic_1.jpg
    1000 x 1250 - 480K
  • ChronopunkChronopunk Posts: 291
    edited December 1969

Hey, Ghastly, I've been meaning to ask you.

How does MD handle rigid surfaces/boning, like say in a corset?

edited December 1969

http://www.sharecg.com/v/74737/view/21/DAZ-Studio/Big-Eye-Anime-Head-Genesis-1-Real-Version

CRAP! I screwed up with the Big Eyed Anime Head morph and accidentally uploaded an older, less stylized anime head morph.

This time it should be the real one. Let me know if it isn't.

Mini_Dress_test_1.jpg
    1000 x 1250 - 485K
    edited December 1969

Poorly. It doesn't do a good job simulating hard surfaces embedded in fabrics. You can cheat around it but it's a lot of effort. I think it's one of the many things on their "to do" list as people have been pleading for some time for the ability to import objects such as rings, buttons, clasps, ribbing, buckles, etc. and have them actually interact with the fabric simulation.

• ChronopunkChronopunk Posts: 291
    edited December 1969

Poorly. It doesn't do a good job simulating hard surfaces embedded in fabrics. You can cheat around it but it's a lot of effort. I think it's one of the many things on their "to do" list as people have been pleading for some time for the ability to import objects such as rings, buttons, clasps, ribbing, buckles, etc. and have them actually interact with the fabric simulation.

Well darn it all. I was hoping you'd say "Great! It's awesome and here's a design of my own to show it off!" so that I could spend some of my tax return money on a license (pricing scheme be damned). But... *sigh* Such is not to be.

What's the learning curve on Hexagon, he wondered aloud, and how would it do for such things...

edited December 1969

Hexagon is pretty easy to use, but it really lacks in features and has a history of not running well at all on modern computers. I'm fortunate that it runs on mine.

Marvelous Designer is really great at running cloth simulation but it does have some limitations. When I used the beta version it did not export a mesh with thickness so one of the reasons I have such a huge backlogue of unfinished MD models is because I have to manually add thickness in Hexagon.

I do this by cheating the thickness. I extrude at the edges just a very tiny bit inward then extrude again just a little tiny bit upward so that all the edges of my outfits would look like the letter U if magnified. In 99.999% of renders this will give the appearance that the material has thickness to it. You wouldn't notice it's just an L shaped extrusion unless you were doing an extreme close up and if you were doing an extreme close up chances are there would be more artefacts in your render that would grab your eye before the cloth edges did.

I hear in the latest version of MD3 they now extrude with thickness. The problem is it's a full mesh thickness instead of an edge thickness. This creates 2 problems. 1) It doubles the polygon count of your clothing model. 2) A double mesh thickness also causes problems with clothing because in certain poses the inner mesh will poke through the outer mesh. The advantage is you can have a different texture map on the inside of the garment than you do on the outside.

For things like buttons claps and rings and ribbing etc you can cheat it by simply stitching your clothing in place as if the button was there and then adding the button afterwards in a modelling program (which is what I do for buttons) or for things like ribbing and rings you can build a psuedo ring/rib out of stiff leather (make sure to set the polygon density really high for these parts) and then replace them with a properly modelled ring/rib in a modelling program afterwards.

When it comes to making clothing in Marvelous Designer you pretty much have to have another modelling program as well to properly finish your meshes up or they won't look very good in Daz.

I was going to buy Marvelous Designer myself but they've decided to distance themselves from the hobby market and are tying to cater to the pro market only (which I think is a mistake but time will tell). I've started playing with the trial version of 3D coat since they have a $100 hobby license. It has cloth simulation but at this point the cloth simulation is just a beta curiosity and it's primarily a sculpting based modeller with automatic retopo like ZBrush. I still find myself taking the meshes I make with it into Hexagon for some final clean up because I like the precision Hexagon offers, but I think with time I'd be able to learn to do everything I do in Hexagon in 3D Coat.

I'm going to try cleaning up one of my MD meshes in 3D Coat and retopo it as one of the other problems with MD3 is it still only exports a random triangle mesh and not a quad mesh which can cause animation problems.

• mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001
    edited December 1969

I'm going to try cleaning up one of my MD meshes in 3D Coat and retopo it as one of the other problems with MD3 is it still only exports a random triangle mesh and not a quad mesh which can cause animation problems.

That's one of the 'minor' problems a pure triangle mesh has...lack of proper edge loops makes doing certain operations impossible. Also it makes sculpting custom fit morphs an order of magnitude more difficult. And those are just for starters...I won't get into the headaches involved in creating new/custom U/V maps for them...assigning 'clean' edges to material zones is practically impossible.

No...triangles are the pits...especially random tri meshes.

• ModernWizardModernWizard Posts: 850
    edited December 1969

Ghastly, I'm just dropping by to say that I appreciate your generosity in providing all these high-quality items for Genesis. Everything works equally well on male and female characters, which I appreciate to no end. I also admire your facility in modeling ruffles. Thank you, thank you, thank you. Subscribing to this thread to keep an eye on the latest drapey skimpwear...

--MW

edited December 1969

Thanks! I'm glad you're enjoying my freebees.

Also as a general note, is anybody having trouble with the Chibi Figure 1.5.

I've heard there are problems for Linux users and now some Windows users are claiming to have problems with the figure.

• shanteshante Posts: 206
    edited December 1969

Here's another skimperiffic outfit, perfect for your slave girl (or slave boy) to entertain company in.

Dance monkey boy, DANCE!

http://www.sharecg.com/v/72118/view/21/DAZ-Studio/Ghastlys-Dancing-Veils-Genesis-1

This would have been nice with the newer Leiah set for V4. Too bad your offerings don't also include the older Gen4 girls for Poser!? :(

edited December 1969

Here is a pair of almost identical Japanese styled swimsuits.

http://www.sharecg.com/v/75142/view/21/DAZ-Studio/Ghastlys-Japanese-Swimsuits-Genesis-1

swimsuit_duo_2.jpg
    1000 x 1250 - 540K
    edited December 1969

shante said:
    Here's another skimperiffic outfit, perfect for your slave girl (or slave boy) to entertain company in.

Dance monkey boy, DANCE!

http://www.sharecg.com/v/72118/view/21/DAZ-Studio/Ghastlys-Dancing-Veils-Genesis-1

This would have been nice with the newer Leiah set for V4. Too bad your offerings don't also include the older Gen4 girls for Poser!? :(

I'm only able to make stuff for the figures and software I have unfortunately.

All the Marvelous Designer stuff I made was for Genesis 1. When I was making the Marvelous Designer outfits it was during the beta test for MD3. As co-incidence had it that entire month I was basically sitting at a desk for 16 hours a day and when an alarm would go off I'd click a mouse button (alarms would go off anywhere from never to every 15 minutes on any given day). Given such a mindless task to perform I had my laptop with me and would fill my hours learning the MD3 software. I literally made hundreds of outfits (given that it can take anywhere from 5 minutes to an hour to make an outfit in MD3 depending on the complexity). So there's a huge backlog of Genesis 1 outfits for me to finish up in Hexagon (adding thickness, renaming the material groups, adding hard surface items). Granted you do nothing but sit and crank out outfits all day not all of them are going to be winners and you end up with a lot of outfits which are variations of a theme so I've really only been releasing the ones which 1) don't require a lot of post export work, and 2) don't completely suck ass.

Now I've got 3D coat so probably for the next while the outfits I'll be releasing (like the above swimsuit) will be stuff I've made with 3D Coat.

• none01ohonenone01ohone Posts: 862
    edited December 1969

I've had a good long look and I think I may just have found the little extra!
    Thanks for the freebie Ghastly. LOL!!!

edited December 1969

It's an equal opportunity swimsuit.

• Former DAZ CustomerFormer DAZ Customer Posts: 167
    edited December 1969

Thanks! I'm glad you're enjoying my freebees.

Also as a general note, is anybody having trouble with the Chibi Figure 1.5.

I've heard there are problems for Linux users and now some Windows users are claiming to have problems with the figure.

I just grabbed this (thanks so much for all you share!), and I do have problems - what I get is kind of a 'v' shape with mittens. Win7/64, current patches, DAZ 3D Studio 4.6 Pro, current patch.

Happy to help debug if I can.

edited December 1969

Somebody had sent me a PM on how to fix it but unfortunately I deleted it and can't remember who sent it.

It has something to do with the way one of the files is named that messes it up and changing the file name fixes the problem.

• RlowensRlowens Posts: 35
    edited December 1969

Referring to the chibi 1.5

Here is info from the log :

WARNING: fileinput\dzassetdaz.cpp(6443): Could not find bone for bone binding: /data/Ghastly/Ghastly Chibi/Ghastly Chibi/chibi 3.dsf#Glans

If add that bone the shape somewhat reforms, but still doesn't work.

If you still have a working version, would you mind repackaging and uploading it again?

Would love to have a working version.

Thank you.

Somebody had sent me a PM on how to fix it but unfortunately I deleted it and can't remember who sent it.

It has something to do with the way one of the files is named that messes it up and changing the file name fixes the problem.

edited December 1969

I'll see what I can do to fix this.

edited December 1969

In the meantime here's something I made while experimenting with making clothing with 3D coat.

Not exactly a practical set of armour but sometimes it's more important to look sexy than it is to not be dead.

http://www.sharecg.com/v/76026/view/21/DAZ-Studio/Ghastlys-Test-Armour-genesis-1

test_armour_2.jpg
    1000 x 1250 - 482K
    test_armour_1.jpg
    1000 x 1250 - 504K
  • none01ohonenone01ohone Posts: 862
    edited December 1969

Nice 3Dcoating. Thanks for the freebie.

• Lord GanthorLord Ganthor Posts: 592
    edited December 1969

Good looking suit of armor, despite the protection issues. Fits well, moves nice. The materials didn't want to play nice with Bryce, so I substituted native materials, which turned out okay for just an hour playing around with it. The only real issue I have with the suit is that I can't figure out if she needs to be a superhero (or villain), some sort of super ninja-assassin or something else. I added Joe Quick's superhero mask just for effect. Thanks! It's fun!!

Armor_Test_Figure_001.jpg
    321 x 632 - 132K
    edited December 1969

And if anybody asks why the the armour plating deforms when the character bends you can just tell them it's made out of a non-newtonian fluid that remains pliable under normal conditions but solidifies under impact thus allowing both flexibility and protection.

And if they then ask you why the entire outfit isn't just made of non-newtonian fluid armour plates you can tell them "Because SCREW YOU, that's why!"

edited December 1969

http://www.sharecg.com/v/76200/view/21/DAZ-Studio/Ghastlys-Ghastly-Crime-Fighters-Genesis-1

It's CAPTAIN DISTURBING and his sidekick UNNERVING BOY. They fight crime by challenging gender norms and making their opponents feel too uneasy to fight back.

Two! Two! Two complete outfits for you to enjoy as you feel fit

ub_test_17.jpg
    1000 x 1250 - 455K
    ub_test_16.jpg
    1000 x 1250 - 480K
  • Faeryl WomynFaeryl Womyn Posts: 3,273
    edited December 1969

I really have no response to these...LMAO The boots will be handy to use, would love to have the hair, though with an option not to use the cat ears.

• RAMWolffRAMWolff Posts: 10,146
    edited December 1969

Simply and UDDERLY fantastical! lol

edited December 1969

I would have also accepted Fabuliscious.

• RAMWolffRAMWolff Posts: 10,146
    edited December 1969

HAHAHA... I agree... OK.. it's utterly FABULISCIOUS!

edited December 1969

These are not completed outfits but rather a set of 3 bodysuits for the Genesis 1 figure in Daz Studio, OBJ, and 3D Coat formats. You may use these however you want as a base for making your own clothes. When I get a little better at using 3D Coat I plan to make a tutorial for using it to make Daz clothing and this will be the resource file for the tutorial.

If the geometry of the bodysuit strikes you as familiar it's because I made it out of the Make Human Alpha 7 mesh. I tell you that Make Human mesh has sure come in handy for props and clothing use. Make Human grants unrestricted rights to its meshes so you can use them for all sorts of other neat stuff besides simply as human figures.

The two simple suits use the regular mesh so they're pretty low poly. The loose suit uses the same mesh but it had one level of subdivision on it so it's a little higher poly. I used the cloth simulation in 3D coat to make the loose fitting mesh and the regular Make Human mesh just didn't have enough polygons to run the cloth simulation so I had to sub divide it. It's still pretty low poly though.

In any case, feel free to use these bodysuits however you want.

http://www.sharecg.com/v/76213/view/21/DAZ-Studio/Bodysuit-Resources-Kit-Genesis-1

Make_Human_Body_Suits.jpg
    1000 x 1250 - 325K
  • ModernWizardModernWizard Posts: 850
    edited December 1969

Captain Disturbing and Unnerving Boy are freakin' awesome! Impractical armor without chest protection! Codpieces! Butt cleavage! Thigh-high boots! What's not to love?

--MW

edited December 1969

Captain Disturbing and Unnerving Boy are freakin' awesome! Impractical armor without chest protection! Codpieces! Butt cleavage! Thigh-high boots! What's not to love?

--MW

It was inspired by those "what if male superheros were drawn like female superheros" posts you see on the tumblrs all the time. I know those posts are meant to shame comic artists, but I always think the feminized male versions are kinda hot. Like the Batman one where his chest is open and the Bat Symbol is made of his shaved chest hair. OooOOOooh yeah! Shmecksay!