Ghastly's Ghastly Freebees. (Ghastly's Gizmo-trons)

Comments

• ghastlycomicghastlycomic Posts: 2,528
    edited December 1969

Ippotamus said:
    Make a Wish

This one is for you, Ghastly. ;)
    Thank you for all the grand things.

Very nice! Glad you enjoy the freebees.

• jerriecanjerriecan Posts: 470
    edited December 1969

Just wanted to say how much I appreciate your hard work. Thank you for sharing with us. :)

edited December 1969

You're all very welcome. Share the wealth I always say.

edited December 1969

http://www.sharecg.com/v/80418/view/21/DAZ-Studio/Ghastlys-Pulp-Space-Suit-Genesis-1

If there's one thing pulp science fiction covers of the 40s and 50s taught me it's that this is a totally appropriate outfit to wear in the vacuum of space.

Pulp_Suit_2.jpg
    1280 x 1600 - 731K
    Pulp_Suit_1.jpg
    1280 x 1600 - 726K
  • nobody1954nobody1954 Posts: 933
    edited December 1969

In space, no one can hear you die of embarrassment ;-). Thank you very much.

• MilosGulanMilosGulan Posts: 1,950
    edited December 1969

Haha very true :) nicely done btw :D it will be useful and I am hoping to try it soon, I mean as soon as I have some more free time ;)

• ModernWizardModernWizard Posts: 850
    edited December 1969

*_* It's so beautiful! :p

Is that helmet conforming or a prop?

--MW

• namffuaknamffuak Posts: 4,063
    edited December 1969

Lovely - thanks!

FWIW., there was an editorial and some follow-up letters in Analog back in the late 60s or very early 70s that pointed out the need for a new type of space suit. It seems that human skin is already vapor-tight and equiped with a highly efficient heat removal system. All that needs to be added is a suitable helmet with air supply, some type of breathable pressure skin, and thermal protection from direct sunlight. It seems that the main stumbling block is getting a proper seal between the helmet and the face/neck/upper body . . . by the time a no-leak seal is in place you've got the whole bloody suit again.

edited December 1969

--MW

One of each.

• ModernWizardModernWizard Posts: 850
    edited December 1969

--MW

One of each.

Why thank you! It's like 70s Kink blasted off into space. :D

--MW

• RAMWolffRAMWolff Posts: 10,146
    edited December 1969

Hi Ghastly.

I think we went over this before but wanted to ask you since your the resident 3D Coat expert here. 3D Coat does draping?

I bought Wrinkle but it's just not doing much regardless of the settings I'm using.

Example, I exported Dusk out with his arms up, then the tunic I made for him, arms up. Loaded both and the damned thing barely moves the sleeves down to a more collapsed look. Just disappointing to me.

Can you run a sym in 3D Coat with one of your fav figures with their arms all the way up and a mid length sleeve and see what you get? If it's a pretty nice collapse I might have to really dig in and learn more about this program. I own it but never use it much....

edited December 1969

It depends on the stiffness of the fabric which program will better give the results you are looking for.

3D Coat only has one stiffness setting which is like fine silk so everything it simulates is very drapey. Wrinkle's softest stiffness setting is still very stiff, like heavy denim so it doesn't drape as well. I find sometimes I get the best results by taking a mesh and beginning it's drape in Wrinkle, then exporting it to 3D Coat and continuing the drape there.

I rarely use a gravity higher than .25 in 3D Coat so I can carefully stop it when it gets the results I want and I can pull the fabric to try and drape it how I want.

The thing with cloth simulation is you need a very high resolution mesh or there just isn't enough geometry to allow for a decent simulation to take place. So if the source mesh was low poly you're going to want to export it subdivided.

A shirt with less than 15K quads isn't going to run a simulation very well.

• mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001
    edited April 2015

It will look more like a heavy winter coat, without the 'puffiness' than a shirt...

Or at least it will in Blender. I imagine most cloth sims would give about the same result, when it's too low poly.

Post edited by mjc1016 on
    edited December 1969

OK. thanks for the info. Very helpful! So if I export my Tunic at a higher resolution, like even 2 up, once I get it draped then what? With the cloth sim at that level do I then import the results back into DS with the Tunic in there at that 2 up resolution, apply the morph and then lower the main Tunic back down after and it's all going to work OK??

It depends on the stiffness of the fabric which program will better give the results you are looking for.

3D Coat only has one stiffness setting which is like fine silk so everything it simulates is very drapey. Wrinkle's softest stiffness setting is still very stiff, like heavy denim so it doesn't drape as well. I find sometimes I get the best results by taking a mesh and beginning it's drape in Wrinkle, then exporting it to 3D Coat and continuing the drape there.

I rarely use a gravity higher than .25 in 3D Coat so I can carefully stop it when it gets the results I want and I can pull the fabric to try and drape it how I want.

The thing with cloth simulation is you need a very high resolution mesh or there just isn't enough geometry to allow for a decent simulation to take place. So if the source mesh was low poly you're going to want to export it subdivided.

edited December 1969

If the scene isn't something animated then I'd just pose the figure with the conforming cloth on it. Subdivide the cloth mesh and export it. Then export the figure in the pose, run the simulation against the posed figure and then export the cloth mesh and import it into the scene. Delete the conforming mesh altogether and just parent the imported simulated mesh to the posed figure. Just make sure you're fully satisfied with the pose before you export everything because you won't be able to change it afterwards.

edited December 1969

Here's an example using the outfit I'm making now.

I posed the figure, exported it and voxelized it. Exported the cloth mesh subdivided. Ran the simulation (.25 gravity 60 friction 0 thickness) in 3D Coat, then imported the mesh. Fixed the areas where the collar had self intersected (basically separated the collar from the rest of the mesh in hexagon then sent the two separate meshes back to DS and put a smoothing modifier on the collar with collision set to the sweater mesh) Parented the collar mesh to the sweater mesh and parented the sweater mesh to Genesis.

Exporting subdivided doesn't collapse the UV maps and neither does 3D Coats cloth simulation so you can use the exact same texture maps you would use on the conforming cloth.

Now I can't change Genesis's pose because the new clothing mesh is just a pop not a conforming cloth. But if I do need another pose I can just repeat the process again.

kwerki_test_4.jpg
    1280 x 1600 - 327K
    kwerki_test_3.jpg
    1280 x 1600 - 310K
    kwerki_test_2.jpg
    1280 x 1600 - 359K
    kwerki_test_1.jpg
    1280 x 1600 - 345K
    edited December 1969

Lost my sub again to your thread. Grrrrrrrrrrrr DAZ!

• IppotamusIppotamus Posts: 1,579

Ghastly!

We need you!!

• ChronopunkChronopunk Posts: 291

Just posting to say I need more Ghastly in my life. :)

• SteveM17SteveM17 Posts: 971

Yes, the Ghastly stuff is cool.

• D.RobinsonD.Robinson Posts: 283

Thanks alot Ghastly you wasted a whole afternoon of my life downloading all your freebies lol.

Little render of one of them.

Daniel

http://www.daz3d.com/gallery/#images/83080/

Hmmmmm His last post here was in April!!  I hope he's OK!!  surprise

Hi everybody! Yup I'm doing fine I've just been very busy IRL so I haven't had a lot of time for doing 3D stuff. Hopefully I'll be able to get back to the 3D stuff this fall. Glad you're enjoying the freebees.

Glad your OK Mr.  Thanks for checking in!  laugh

New Chibi figure "Lolo Hai" with hair and an outfit. The figure uses textures for the face to give a 2D look.

Use as you wish.

http://www.sharecg.com/v/84173/view/21/DAZ-Studio/Chibi-Figure-Lolo-Hai

Lolo Complete 2.jpg
    1000 x 1250 - 515K
  • KeryaKerya Posts: 10,943

Chibi-cuteness! Thank you!

• mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001

Great figure...

• CathyMCathyM Posts: 261

What a cute and excellent model you've created, ghastlycomic :)  Thanks so much for sharing with us.  -Cathy

• MilosGulanMilosGulan Posts: 1,950

Thank You, this looks very nice.

Glad you're all enjoying the chibi. I'm working on a set of geographed male genitals for Genesis 1 right now. It'll be better than the old non conforming prop one I made before. Apart from the obvious being geographed it's also much better anatomy wise since it's voxel sculpted and not vertex modelled like the old one. I was able to build it by laying down the internal anatomy and then sculpting flesh over top of that. Should be up on ShareCG in awhile.