The Adventures of Lomund

Comments

• TotteTotte Posts: 13,508
    edited December 1969

Nice scenery. Nice balance of grass and trees. I can see the mountains in the distance.

Thanks starionwolf!

edited December 1969

Pieter’s Place

When they had said a last farewell to Baldor and Brego and the ponies, the group of tired adventurers really longed for a nights sleep under a roof and a cooked meal served at a table. They saw a farmstead on the other side of the river and took a ferry across.

When dismounted to horses and walked up to the farmstead, where they were met by Pieter himself, his wife and his twin daughters Frida and Freja. The farm house was a large two story building a there was a large barn too. When they asked for a roof and a night s sleep, Mr. Pieter said “Winter is soon upon us, and I gladly give you a roof and meal if you help me prepare the farm for the winter. We got wood to cut, fields to plow". A deal was quickly struck as they group really needed to take a break and a breath. Gorm already had his eyes for Frida, a lovely and charming girl, sixteen winters old, but Frida turned his feeble flirting attempts down with a smile on her lips.

To be continued…

welcome__to_pieters_place_pw.jpg
    1600 x 1280 - 691K
  • JaderailJaderail Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

I'm so engrossed in your adventures Totte I will be at a loss to continue my own. Well done and very enjoyable.

edited December 1969

Jaderail said:
    I'm so engrossed in your adventures Totte I will be at a loss to continue my own. Well done and very enjoyable.

You have to continue yours Jaderail, I want to keep reading it!
    edited December 1969

Totte said:
    Jaderail said:

You have to continue yours Jaderail, I want to keep reading it!I'm just waiting on the Fix Totte. Just waiting...
    edited December 1969

Winter came and went

Fall turned into winter and everyone worked at the farm, honest work for honest pay. Gorm and Lomund spent time in the barn and the small tool shed where they fixed and mended all the tools on the farm, and they went down to the river to fish from time to time. Lomund also spent a great deal of time hunting with Miriel, and Miriel taught him some very keen tricks on how to see things that are trying to hide. Lomund could after some months really feel that this training was doing good as he now could see prey that was almost hidden, that he had missed before.

Aliena, the wife of Pieter cooked the most delicious stews, which made the dinner a feast every day. Eirik taught Froderick, the you son of the Pieter family who mostly took care of the horses how to mend saddles and reins and how to keep them greased so they wouldn’t break in the first place. All in all the winter slowly passed, and Eirik celebrated his twenty-ninth winter, and then it was Lomund day as he turned twenty-two.

As the winter was coming to an end, the group decided it was time to prepare for a departure, but they decided to stay until the beginning of Marsh. On March the third Gorm will celebrate his twenty-second birthday.

To be continued…

winter_came.jpg
    1600 x 1280 - 472K
    edited April 2014

Gorm's birthday

On Gorm’s big day, a group of fur traders led my the old and weathered Reidan arrived by boat to Pieter’s place. They asked for lodging as the were to travel further by land. In the evening there was a great party, and the wind didn’t bring the hard chill anymore, spring was around the corner that’s for sure. After the dinner they all talked, and Reidan said that they were to travel through Mirkwood. Lomund told Reidan that there were large spiders in the Mirkwood, and Reidan laughed and asked his comrades: Are you afraid of spiders? They laughed and said spiders, they crush them with their boots, just like cockroaches. Lomund then went to his room and picked up a piece of a spider leg that he got with him from Mirkwood. Actually, jt had been stuck in his saddle and he had kept it. He took the leg with him down to the great room and showed it to Reidan, who dropped his jaw to the ground and there were no more spider jokes that evening.

At night when everyone were in bed, Freja, one of the twin daughters, came to Gorm chamber and said that she was sad that he was going to leave, such a handsome man he was. They cuddled a little, then they jumped into the boots and tiptoed together to the barn.

To be continued…

lomunds_leg_pw.jpg
    1724 x 1379 - 463K
    Post edited by Totte on
    edited April 2014

An unpleasant surprise

What happened in a barn, stays in a barn, an old saying from the North. When Gorm decides to tell the rest, the rest of us will know. But anyway, when whatever they did in the barn was done, they decided to sneak back into the main building. Gorm went first, and he heard something in the night, and saw something in the light cast by the flickering torches on the building walls. He quickly told the rose cheeked Freja to hurry. She looked a little startled but Gorm grabbed her arm then they rushed across the yard into the house. Inside he told her to go to her room and lock the door, the farm is being attacked.

Gorm rushed into Miriel’s room and woke her up with the words “We’re under attack, wake up them rest”, then he rushed to his own room and grabbed his sword, shield and helmet and headed out into the winter to do his job, defend the farm against whatever were out there.

To be continued…

nightsneak_from_barn_pw.jpg
    1166 x 1505 - 372K
    Post edited by Totte on
    edited December 1969

Defend the farm

Miriel, being an elf, never really sleeps, so she was dressed and just picked up her bow and Quiver and then she quickly sneaked outside, and climbed up onto the barn roof for a better view, and she found a perfect straddling position. There she saw them, at least a dozen Goblins slowly approaching the farm. Gorm woke up Eirik on his way out to take a position between the barn and main building. Eirik woke up Lomund and they just jumped into their boots and grabbed their weapons and woke up Reidan on their way out.

Miriel began to shoot from the roof, but the darkness made it a little harder to hit as she aimed for those farthest away to minimize the chance of the Goblins to realize they were under fire. She hit one in the head that fell without a sound.

Eirik carefully went around the barn to cover that flank, while Lomund went to the other end of the main house to secure that flank. Tactical combat were their speciality, and preparing an ambush for the unsuspecting attackers would give them a good combat advantage, which usually was the difference between victory and an early death.

Reidan also came out with three of his men. One of them followed Eirik and the other two ran and helped Gorm hold the line, while Reidan joined Lomund on the right flank. Lomund also shot a few arrows before the Goblins realized they were spotted and charged, which made Lomund drop his bow and pick up his dwarven knife.

Gorm stood firmly in the center of the gap between the two buildings and shouted “You shall not pass!”!

To be continued…

miriel_straddling_roof.jpg
    1200 x 1200 - 180K
  • Tako YakidaTako Yakida Posts: 548
    edited December 1969

I hope you are making money from that creative mind of yours. I bet the combination of story and renders as illustrations would sell well on the e-book market. :P

edited April 2014

I hope you are making money from that creative mind of yours. I bet the combination of story and renders as illustrations would sell well on the e-book market. :P
    I Do not want to take a thing away from my great friend Totte, as I too think along those lines E-Books, but my Friend Tako please Keep in mind what I'm fixing to link too is just a test bed for the idea and not final. I had to stop my work on this due to a OS and DAZ Studio error that the New DAZ Studio Beta has fixed. I too will be back to this project very soon. Here is mine so far.. Exile: Drows Walk

Now to say this to Totte. I love it, can not wait to see more. And Very soon I shall join you again with my project side by side with yours.
    Post edited by Jaderail on
    edited December 1969

Jaderail said:
    I Do not want to take a thing away from my great friend Totte, as I too think along those lines E-Books, but my Friend Tako please Keep in mind what I'm fixing to link too is just a test bed for the idea and not final. I had to stop my work on this due to a OS and DAZ Studio error that the New DAZ Studio Beta has fixed. I too will be back to this project very soon. Here is mine so far.. Exile: Drows Walk

Your test bed is off to a good start I'll say. The renders using story-type camera angles look good. The details come through nicely. :0)

edited December 1969

Maybe, but I haven't given it a try. I might do it, but my biggest concern is not being natively English speaking, tend to give you really bad reviews from someone speaking Oxford English and then your chances are thinner than slim to make any sales at all. Experienced that with an adventure I released. Had some sales until someone reviewed it, ripping it apart because the language wasn't perfect, stopped dead in sales.

• mori_mannmori_mann Posts: 1,152
    edited December 1969

Not being a native speaker never stopped me from writing (or co-writing with another non-native speaker). Language isn't perfect, but ask them to do a project in YOUR mother tongue instead ;)

But seriously, spelling and grammar errors can mostly be fixed by editing. First your own and then have someone else proof-read for you. Even native speakers make errors. The ones ripping down a story because they have issues with your use of the language, are probably jealous because they can't find flaws in the story line.

Keep up the good work, it's a fun adventure.

edited December 1969

I second that 100%!! Darn the torpedo's, full speed ahead!! As the paraphrase goes...

edited December 1969

Raging battle

Eiriks charge around the barn proved to be a wise move as he faced some goblins sneaking that way, which he disposed with some help of Miriel on the roof and the fur trader that joined him. Lomund and Reidan clear their flank together and slowly moves around the main building to flank the goblin attackers. Lomund has picked up his bow again, and Reidan showed what a skilled swordsman he was dealing with those goblins.

Gorm stood steady parrying with his shield and dealing one lethal blow after another around him. The fighting is hard and suddenly more goblins arrives to the battle. Eirik has now flanked the goblins held back by Gorm and several falls for his sword. Lomund begins to fire his bow at those arriving and they hesitate and some begin to retreat. Now Miriel makes one of her famous headshots and nails the target to the leg of another goblin. Gorm at the same time shouts: Run home or die!

The remaining goblins starts to retreat and Lomund and Miriel keeps shooting. The group now quickly dresses a little more properly for the winter while Froderick saddles some horses. They track the goblins a while and find one badly wounded that they try to interrogate but no one speaks goblin and he just didn’t understand. Miriel once again fails to speak to the trees. They follow the track a little further and see another track coming from the North and joining the one leasing West, towards the misty mountains. They decided to sleep a few hours and hunt the attackers in the morning, when the goblins are asleep.

To be continued…

raging_battle_pw.jpg
    1590 x 745 - 325K
  • MelanieLMelanieL Posts: 7,139
    edited December 1969

Really enjoying the ongoing saga.
    On the subject of non-native English-speaking: do you write in Swedish then put through a translator, OR translate it yourself, OR just write it in English?
    As a native Brit I have no problem whatever reading your texts, but I do notice some spelling and grammar errors - but my Swedish is non-existent and I can only admire anyone who is able to write anything worth reading in a second/third/... language. :)

edited April 2014

MelanieL said:
    On the subject of non-native English-speaking: do you write in Swedish then put through a translator, OR translate it yourself, OR just write it in English?
    As a native Brit I have no problem whatever reading your texts, but I do notice some spelling and grammar errors - but my Swedish is non-existent and I can only admire anyone who is able to write anything worth reading in a second/third/... language. :)

I write in English directly, and the posts here are rather quickly put together too. The fun thing is, I had two Brits helping me with parts of that adventure text, but I know another group of Swedes who hired editors from the UK and the criticism was that the text lacked a consequent flavor as different people had edited different parts. So editing in a foreign language is really difficult as you will miss subtile differences in tone. You can use correct words where a native speaker might pick a slightly different synonym.

An example I got from one English speaking friend. I Swedish we use one word to describe a flock of animals, just that, flock. English has a flock of seagulls, a pride of loins, a gaggle of geese, just for starters....

Post edited by Totte on
  • MelanieLMelanieL Posts: 7,139
    edited December 1969

Totte said:
    MelanieL said:

I write in English directly, and the posts here are rather quickly put together too. The fun thing is, I had two Brits helping me with parts of that adventure text, but I know another group of Swedes who hired editors from the UK and the criticism was that the text lacked a consequent flavor as different people had edited different parts. So editing in a foreign language is really difficult as you will miss subtile differences in tone. You can use correct words where a native speaker might pick a slightly different synonym.

An example I got from one English speaking friend. I Swedish we use one word to describe a flock of animals, just that, flock. English has a flock of seagulls, a pride of loins, a gaggle of geese, just for starters....

Yes, well English does have a ridiculously large number of different words to say the same thing! I don't think I could learn it properly now - luckily I did most of my learning before the age of 4 :)
    Anyway keep up the good work - I love this thread.

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

MelanieL said:
    Totte said:
    MelanieL said:

Yes, well English does have a ridiculously large number of different words to say the same thing! I don't think I could learn it properly now - luckily I did most of my learning before the age of 4 :)
    Anyway keep up the good work - I love this thread.

But at least we only have one word for snow :coolsmirk:

edited December 1969

LOL @ Chohole!!

But you have three dozen words for rain?

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

Totte said:
    LOL @ Chohole!!

But you have three dozen words for rain?

Not quite that many, most of them are just amplifications or descriptions of the rain, like "B*&%%@#" rain again"

edited December 1969

I hate synonyms! I used to teach English to Japanese peeps online. English and Japanese synonyms pooped me out. ;)

Well Totte, I hope a generous editor will come your way and offer to standardize your texts for publication. :)

edited May 2014

Sorry for the late post, but this building took a lot of time to model and texture (I really needed a special model for the text part.. stay tuned...

Goblin hunt

After a good nights sleep, some slept better than others, Pieter and Aliena served a very good breakfast and was thankful for the job. The dead goblins were piled and bunt on a bonfire by some of Reidan’s men, while Reidan and one of his men, Orsul, joined the goblin hunting party. They set out a couple of hours after sun up, and the tracks were easy to follow in the snow. Reidan told the others that there had been some disturbances in the Grey Mountains this winter from Orcs coming down and raiding villages. Both Miriel and Lomund knew what he was talking about, they had spent many nights watching over the farms north of Dale.

They quickly calculated how far the goblins would have come before light, and they knew that they would not have come very far, so they would probably be hiding in caves in the hills. On mid day, they saw a large building, looking abandoned, and they tracks led straight to it. The building was a one story stone building with a wooden second floor covering half the building. All the windows shutters and doors were closed.

Carefully the hunting party sneaked around, planning an attack, when Miriel, as usual, climbed up on the roof of the one story part. She almost ran her light foot through the rotten roof when Lomund got one of his ideas.

To be continued…

thegoblinhouse-1.jpg
    1200 x 900 - 125K
    Post edited by Totte on
    edited December 1969

Tearing down the house

Lomund came up with an idea. What if the building was as fragile as it looked? He tossed a rope to Miriel and told her to tie it to the sturdiest piece of wood she could find on the roof, preferable close to the left wall. Then he gave the other end to Reidan and Orsul, who now began to think this wasn’t such a great idea to hunt the goblins as they saw many tracks, and also wolf tracks, that led to the abandoned house.

Lomund told them to tie the rope to their horses, and to pull when he gave the signal. Miriel climbed up to the roof of the second floor, while Lomund and Eirik took position outside the two windows on the front that were facing the sun, and Gorm took position in front of the door. On Lomund’s signal, the horses pulled and the others opened the window shutters and the door to let the sun in.

No one believed what happened. The whole left wall of the building collapsed and the lower roof fell down with a terrible noise. Goblin screams were heard from the building, and a wolf and two goblins ran out through the door to attack Gorm. Miriel starts to shoot from her position high above.

To be continued…

thegoblinhouse-down.jpg
    1200 x 900 - 179K
    edited May 2014

Eirik and a rusty nail

From the window in front of Eirik, someone shot an arrow, and Eirik decides to make a jump in through the window, but he get caught on a rusty nail and falls backwards. Out through the window jumps a wolf and lands over him. Miriel sees the problematic situation Eirik is in and shot an arrow that goes through the head of the wolf and stops just less than an inch from Eirik's eye.

The battle is hard. Lomund shots a wolf in front of Gorm. Eirik crawls away from the dead wolf and tried to climb through the window again, but guess what, he gets stuck on the rusty nail again and falls down on the inside this time. When inside, Eirik sees a goblin escape through the back window. He shouts that one is running. Lomund dashes around the house and shots the escaping goblin.

To be continued….

Eirik-Arrowed.jpg
    1200 x 1200 - 248K
    Post edited by Totte on
    edited December 1969

Goblin hideout

When they had secured the building they started to search and found a trapdoor under the debris that had fallen down.They found a few dead goblins and a dead wolf under the fallen roof. They heard some noises from the trapdoor, goblin noises.

They burnt all the bodies in a large bonfire, much as those back at the farm were doing right now. They counted to 23 goblins and 4 wolfs. Miriel suddenly shouted, she had seen a goblin on a wolf ride away, far away. At least one goblin survived to go home and tell the tale.

When they had finished they rode home again and retuned to Pieter’s farm in time for supper. Freja looked very happy when she saw Gorm. Her cheeks turned slightly red, but the others didn’t really understand why she looked like that.

To be continued…

happyfreja.jpg
    1131 x 1600 - 275K
    edited May 2014

An evening when decisions were made.
    After the group returned from the attack on the old house where the goblins were hiding, Pieter asked about it. Gorm and Lomund happily told him how they had got rid of at least a dozen more goblins and some wolfs. Reidan and Orsul both looked at Pieter and said, "They are crazy, totally crazy, but every word they say is true."

Pieter said that he would need to build some defenses around the farm, and asked if Reidan and his men could stay and work a few months, as he knew that the group of adventurers were heading away, He told the group about an inn, the Easterly Inn, recently opened about a day ride to the South on the East side of the River Anduin. It was ran by a short man, a Hobbit named Dodinas, but he preferred to be called Dodi. He wanted to send then a warning about the Goblins, and also order some supplies. Lomund got a list from Pieter that he should give to Dodi.

Now, suddenly Lomund remembered the piece of the Axe they had got from the Hermit in the Mirkwood, and he thought better late than never, and asked Pieter if he could take a look at it as he was of Woodman heritage and might know something about it. Gorrm brought ir and Pieter studied the piece, and said: "This seems to be a piece of the legendary axe Wolfbiter."

They decided that the group should pack tomorrow and then leave early the day after. This was the farewell and goodbye to Pieter's farm. No one knows of the group of adventurers would come back here again. They were to set out on a new and dangerous adventure, and maybe in time get back to their friends and loved ones in Esgaroth.

To be continued ...

the-axe_pw.jpg
    1600 x 1280 - 393K
    Post edited by Totte on
    edited December 1969

Easterly Inn
    In the morning the brave adventurers set off for the ride south along the eastern riverbed of the River Anduin. First the crossed the river at the ferry just outside Pieter’s farm, and then they set off south. After a half day ride they took a lunch break, just where the flat lands turned into fallow hills.

I the evening they saw smoke coming from behind a hill, the smoke from a chimney. They followed a trail and after a few minutes they saw a very nice little place. A small bridge crossed a running stream, and there was a stable and an inn, the Easterly Inn. When they arrived a grey and black dog came running and barking, and then returned to the stables. Some horses were tied outside the inn. Lomund whistled for the stable boy and tossed him a copper coin, telling him to feed and water the horses as they were here to stay the night.

The inn was beyond expectations, a very cosy place. There were several other guests in the tavern. A group of men were sitting around a table, and a group of dwarves were at the bar, just as they usually are.

When the group has sat down at a table, a dirty dwarf entered the tavern, shouting Agatha, give some food and a beer, I’m stavning. The innkeeper, Dodi shouted from behind the bar: - “Love, give Frier food and drink, he’s been doing a great job on that barndoor today, and go ask what those newcomers want to drink.

Lomund heads to the bar and starts to talk with Dodi, handing him the list from Pieter and warning Dodi about the goblins. When Lomund looks at the menu and the winelist, he seems that several entries has been crossed out. He asks about it over a beer and Dodi said: - “My brother, Dinodos, called Dindy, left six months ago, just before the winter for Bree to buy supplies. His caravan was to expected to arrive last week, but he has been delayed for some reason. And these rumors of Goblins in the mountains is very disturbing indeed. I really hope he is safe. Did you know that a Hobbit named Bilbo Baggins is the financier behind this inn. He went on an adventure and came back to the Shire just five years ago. Me and my brother has always wanted to go on adventure, to see what lies behind the border. Now we are here.

Lomund repiled: - “Do you need help to find your brother and the caravan? Me and my friends will gladly be of service.

To be continued…

easterly_inn.jpg
    1400 x 648 - 114K
    edited December 1969

An adventure is taking shape

Dodi looked at Lomund and at his friends around table number four. An elf, a really strong man and another man, all well armed and seems to be in good shape. He said: - “I will give you twenty pieces of silver each if you find out what is delaying my brother and help him if he is in need, that is all I can spare right now, money is a little sparse.

Lomund looked at the Dwarf sitting beside him and said: - “Hello Mr. Dwarf, Lomund, son of Geirmund of Dale. I have a proposition for you and your two friends. What do you say about following us to the mountain passes helping this poor hobbit fellow’s brother with those pesky little goblins?

The Dwarf replied: - “Sorry sir, but we're on an important errand for the King under the mountain and we’re heading east through the Mirkwood in the morning, taking the old east road, the one that the King under the mountain himself took.

When Eirik heard that the dwarves were going to Ebebor, passing through Esgaroth on the way, he asked them if they could deliver a little letter to his wife Helga, and the Dwarves said that they would gladly do that for someone from Laketown.

So it was decided, the adventurers would leave tomorrow and go south about two days to the ford to cross Anduin, and then head west to the mountains. The dwarves would join them to the ford, where they would go east and follow the old road.

To be continued...

tavern_inside.jpg
    1600 x 900 - 295K