Anaglyphs - red and cyan glasses required to view.

Comments

• David BrinnenDavid Brinnen Posts: 3,136
    edited July 2012

A slightly different version to the one I was looking at. Your version seems to be a bit cosier. Here I've tried something ambitious with see-through materials.

Edit: a model from the DAZ store - which I would provide a link to if I could find it. The search system seems a bit wild, under a search for "sports car" it offered me some bizarre products and GT 40 (my first search) wasn't much help either. But there you go.

GT14__holo_2_anaglyph.jpg
    750 x 750 - 451K
    Post edited by David Brinnen on
  • HoroHoro Posts: 10,056
    edited December 1969

Beautiful. Very effective! I experimented with mirrors. Again the normal ALS but toe-in doubled from 1.5° to 3.2°. Hiro is from DAZ. The rest is Bryce.

AlienShrine-ana2.jpg
    800 x 600 - 260K
  • AtlantisAtlantis Posts: 133
    edited December 1969

Just a test... ( to get objects floating out of the picture )

rings2.jpg
    1156 x 570 - 584K
    edited December 1969

Great effect how the chain comes forward.

• shaykallshaykall Posts: 109
    edited December 1969

Nice work @tlantis, Horo - the landscape had me wondering if you'd used a photograph. Very good indeed.

Here's an experiment with ALS_depth_plus.

I use DAZ models here, http://www.daz3d.com/shop/pausanias-cruiser/ and http://www.daz3d.com/shop/n1-interceptor/ both of which I note are currently on offer.

I made the image mostly monochrome to improve the effect since many of the details on the model were either red or blue, this did interfere somewhat.

These are great especially this one David (being a big Sci Fi fan I am a little bias lolol),
    Are there any tutorials (hopefully vide's) on making Anaglyphs ?

Maybe you could make a tut on how you did this particular image ?

thanks in advance

edited December 1969

shaykall said:
    Nice work @tlantis, Horo - the landscape had me wondering if you'd used a photograph. Very good indeed.

I use DAZ models here, http://www.daz3d.com/shop/pausanias-cruiser/ and http://www.daz3d.com/shop/n1-interceptor/ both of which I note are currently on offer.

I made the image mostly monochrome to improve the effect since many of the details on the model were either red or blue, this did interfere somewhat.

These are great especially this one David (being a big Sci Fi fan I am a little bias lolol),

thanks in advance

Thank you Shaykall.

Well, there are indeed video tutorials on making Anaglyphs on the Bryce Mentoring DVD, including some examples. Although that is not the way these new images above were made. What we are developing here, somewhat painstakingly, is a set of filters to use in Bryce that will allow Bryce to render directly as an anaglyph without the need for any additional software. This will eventually... we hope... become a product, which will include the filters, example scenes and tutorials (video and text) in all probability. That bit has not yet been determined since we are still - as you might detect - in the experimental phase. Normally I'd just throw up some examples on the Gallery and have done with it. But since, last time I looked, the gallery was not accepting submissions - I thought I'd throw it open to the forum. If anyone objects to this approach, they only have to say so, and I will cease doing it.

Time permitting, a tutorial could be included on how the space ship image was setup. I just need to have time and the ability to remember... Since there will need to be a few examples of how to makes scenes, there is no reason why this could not be one. However, with the products, I usually like to include all the example scenes... and since I don't own the right to distribute those models, I couldn't really do that.

I wonder why this forum persists in informatting my messages?

Here's a Halloween themed image I made the other year - anaglypherized. With the ALS targeted depth plus.

Hollow_head11_b1_anaglyph1.jpg
    750 x 750 - 638K
    edited December 1969

shaykall said:

thanks in advance

Thank you Shaykall.

Well, there are indeed video tutorials on making Anaglyphs on the Bryce Mentoring DVD, including some examples. Although that is not the way these new images above were made. What we are developing here, somewhat painstakingly, is a set of filters to use in Bryce that will allow Bryce to render directly as an anaglyph without the need for any additional software. This will eventually... we hope... become a product, which will include the filters, example scenes and tutorials (video and text) in all probability. That bit has not yet been determined since we are still - as you might detect - in the experimental phase. Normally I'd just throw up some examples on the Gallery and have done with it. But since, last time I looked, the gallery was not accepting submissions - I thought I'd throw it open to the forum. If anyone objects to this approach, they only have to say so, and I will cease doing it.

Time permitting, a tutorial could be included on how the space ship image was setup. I just need to have time and the ability to remember... Since there will need to be a few examples of how to makes scenes, there is no reason why this could not be one. However, with the products, I usually like to include all the example scenes... and since I don't own the right to distribute those models, I couldn't really do that.

Here's a Halloween themed image I made the other year - anaglypherized. With the ALS targeted depth plus.

Thanks for the quick response, I did buy the Bryce Mentoring DVD a month or two back, will fire it up and have a look..

edited December 1969

shaykall said:
    shaykall said:

thanks in advance

Thank you Shaykall.

Thanks for the quick response, I did buy the Bryce Mentoring DVD a month or two back, will fire it up and have a look..

Look here...

Image3.jpg
    640 x 934 - 526K
    Image2.jpg
    395 x 528 - 173K
    Image1.jpg
    605 x 325 - 142K
    edited December 1969

@shaykall - it is a good idea to get the hang for anaglyphs using the method outlined in the videos. Once the ALS is ready and can go to the shop (there's still a lot of work ahead), you will doubly appreciate that you can render an anaglyph directly in Bryce. You can watch the anaglyph render, check, not yet happy, ajust a parameter, restart the render. Everything can be done in Bryce, from the start to the finished anaglyph. Only one picture to render, not two. Are you in animation? Hey, you can render an anaglyph animation.

edited December 1969

Since we are on the topic of the DVD. I took one of the scenes from the disc and anaglypherized it with the ALS targeted depth plus.

02-03_Desert_road2_scene5b_anaglyph1.jpg
    750 x 750 - 819K
    edited December 1969

Looking good, very effective.

edited December 1969

Bryce anaglyph goes Prometheus
    ( right click image and select view image to see full size )

prometheus0001.jpg
    1200 x 575 - 437K
    edited December 1969

@ David... That landscape is mind dizzeling ..when viewing it..Pink Floyd's "One of these day's " came up in my mind....
    Awesome!!!!

edited December 1969

Horo said:
    @shaykall - it is a good idea to get the hang for anaglyphs using the method outlined in the videos. Once the ALS is ready and can go to the shop (there's still a lot of work ahead), you will doubly appreciate that you can render an anaglyph directly in Bryce. You can watch the anaglyph render, check, not yet happy, ajust a parameter, restart the render. Everything can be done in Bryce, from the start to the finished anaglyph. Only one picture to render, not two. Are you in animation? Hey, you can render an anaglyph animation.

@Horo,
    I found the video's and the PDF's, Following your tutorial I managed to get an Anaglyph image that actually worked :))
    Now I am going to have a go at something a bit more adventurous..

edited December 1969

@tlantis - looking good.

@shaykall - glad you could make it work. Thanks for telling us.

edited December 1969

Horo said:
    @tlantis - looking good.

@shaykall - glad you could make it work. Thanks for telling us.

Will post an image as soon as I have one :)

edited December 1969

And another from the DVD anaglypherized with the ALS targeted depth plus. Things that seem to help for landscapes and in general. Avoid protruding objects close to the frame. Make the lighting a bit more even than you would with a normal image. Try to avoid strong blue and red colours being used in the scene. There are other considerations to do with image separation and the placement of the focus point - hence the semi-automation of the entire process with filters, lenses and mirrors. I trust that you can see it works.

01-03_A_canyon_somewhere3_scene10_anaglyph.jpg
    750 x 750 - 875K
    edited December 1969

Yes another from the DVD anaglypherized.

03-01_Lake_scene1_anaglyph.jpg
    750 x 750 - 717K
    edited December 1969

Very good examples, the first one particularly. Been busy with the non-targeted one and have finally a working AAA.

edited December 1969

Horo said:
    Very good examples, the first one particularly. Been busy with the non-targeted one and have finally a working AAA.

Anaglyph Alignment Algorithm?

edited December 1969

Good guess. ALS Alignment Approximator.

edited December 1969

Horo said:
    Good guess. ALS Alignment Approximator.

Nesting TLA's? (Three Letter Acronyms) Is that conventional or should it not be ALSAA? Either way, it is good news, since the ALS, although less user friendly than the targeted version, offers less image distortion and so works with wider FOV's or AOV's. Although neither works well with DOF, both are fine with TA! Probably, given the nature of the effect, DOF wouldn't be a bad idea anyway, and liable to cause instant headaches.

edited December 1969

Depth perception experiment with four kites (ever since Graham Dresch turned up with his home made kites I've been thinking about kites). So anyway, on my monitor at the viewing distance I sit at, the foreground kite measures the following in each scene respectively. ALST+ Now all I need to do is figure out how to animate this...

image 1 - 2 1/4 inches
    image 2 - 2 3/8 inches
    image 3 - 2 1/2 inches
    image 4 - 2 7/8 inches
    iamge 5 - 4 1/2 inches (final calculation performed by bringing a kite spar forwards to measure directly on the monitor surface)

Four_Kites_example_5.jpg
    750 x 750 - 717K
    Four_Kites_example_4.jpg
    750 x 750 - 705K
    Four_Kites_example_3.jpg
    750 x 750 - 691K
    Four_Kites_example_2.jpg
    750 x 750 - 686K
    Four_Kites_example_1.jpg
    750 x 750 - 684K
    edited July 2012

Interesting series of experiments. Best strategy when viewing is to find the object which is easiest to get 3D, then also the more difficult align easily. For the last example, the kite farthest away is a bit difficult to bring in line. However, the nearest one is easy. Once you get it right, the rest of the picture follows without pain.

I also been experimenting along these lines using the ALS. The first one uses 2.1° "toe-in", is easy on the eyes but the ivy ia a bit flat in depth. the second one has 10°, look much more natural as far as depth is concerned, but is more difficult to behold - particularly towards the left and right edge. There are ghosts from the red. Also, the specular mapped HDRI in the background adds some distutbance.

jungle_100.jpg
    600 x 800 - 277K
    jungle_021.jpg
    600 x 800 - 269K
    Post edited by Horo on
    edited December 1969

I see what you mean. The first ivy example is easier to look at, but perhaps not realistic as far as the perceived depth is concerned. Like the final example of the kites, finally the terrain is beginning to look large and the sky distant - unlike the first, where the landscape and the sky barely reach beyond the screen. There are many choices for the artist to make with 3D viewing - which means... it is a very good thing.

• pumecopumeco Posts: 0
    edited July 2012

Haven't been commenting but I've been watching.
    Very nice, and I like that Peasant Brinnen stated "So anyway, on my monitor at the viewing distance I sit at ...".

A few years back I posted a Vue render on here where I'd added some post-work that was supposed to make it pop at a certain distance from the screen. I never did continue with that test because it didn't work as expected. The whole idea of it was sort of related to anaglyph, but it wasn't supposed to be anaglyph. The look you get from aberration is very similar, so that made me wonder whether exaggerating aberration would have a similar (although admittedly crude) effect of 3D, and whether it would be distance dependent from the monitor.

No one said a word when I mentioned it because I think they all thought I was talking crap.
    Turns out I was, because I never did get it to work.

Post edited by pumeco on
    edited December 1969

Thanks Len, yes well, here's the thing, thinking about it, we manage to cope with TV where we can accept we are looking at large things even when they fit on the screen, then there is no reason not to suppose there is some leeway with the same once depth is added? Well... I don't know that for certain, but 3D cinema seems to work OK mostly... Anyhow, here's Kite scene 3 with some proper volumetric clouds. Took a tad longer to render as you might imagine.

Four_Kites_example_3_with_vol_cloud1.jpg
    750 x 750 - 700K
    edited July 2012

A test render

A planet sized Alien ship approaching LV-426

alien0005.jpg
    1200 x 575 - 555K
    Post edited by Atlantis on
    edited December 1969

Nice work @lantis, the depth setting is certainly a challenge in order to convey the correct sense of scale. Here this is a tricky topic and one I've dedicated a lot of clock cycles to recently.

1 - TA render
    2 - IBL render
    3 - Standard render (on my old old computer this same render would have taken about two to three weeks). It actually took about half an hour. It is an "upgrade" of an old Bryce 5 file, which is a fun use for the Anaglypherizer - Anaglyph Lens System (targeted) if you rather.

Splash_anaglypherized1.jpg
    750 x 750 - 472K
    Three_Shuttles_example3.jpg
    750 x 750 - 933K
    Three_Shuttles_example2.jpg
    750 x 750 - 822K
    edited December 1969

And another...

B7_1_0_109_p33_s7_v2_promo1_anaglyph1.jpg
    750 x 487 - 930K