• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,209
    edited December 1969

Stezza said:
    I'd like to see Carrara 9 handle simple props like the recently released

Robot Rem >:-(

I just got that. I'll have a look soon.
  • TangoAlphaTangoAlpha Posts: 4,584
    edited December 1969

There does seem to be an issue with the lower leg piston rods rotating with the foot, and the DS version is a bit of a pain to pose, but otherwise I don't particularly see a problem, at least to my untrained eyes.

• RealtimeRealtime Posts: 95
    edited May 2014

Since the announcement all comms went dead.
    Hello...If any one is out there....

Love to know what progress is being made with C9

or not...

Post edited by Realtime on
  • wetcircuitwetcircuit Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

I have suggested this in the past, but since we are just whistling Dixie in this thread...

I would like a way to save sequential OpenGL frames (like say, from the Storyboard Room) to a simple preview video that can be played in realtime so that we can check animations and such at the full quality and speed of our OpenGL video cards. That would be a huge timesaver, and an alternative to scrubbing and guessing at the pace of things. Would be even better if that "video preview" could have the scene's audio tracks as well, to check fX and lipsync.

The ability to save out that video preview as a QT or AVI would also be great, as you could sent it to a client or drop in your video editor as a placeholder.

• cdordonicdordoni Posts: 583
    edited December 1969

I would like a way to save sequential OpenGL frames (like say, from the Storyboard Room) to a simple preview video that can be played in realtime so that we can check animations and such at the full quality and speed of our OpenGL video cards. That would be a huge timesaver, and an alternative to scrubbing and guessing at the pace of things. Would be even better if that "video preview" could have the scene's audio tracks as well, to check fX and lipsync.

OpenGL capture has been around a while. Agreed it would be useful to have in Carrara now, but if you can't wait ...

There are ways to get this from some third party apps (just Google openGL capture) and perhaps there is something that will grab it and play it back without the delay.

edited May 2014

cdordoni said:
    There are ways to get this from some third party apps (just Google openGL capture) and perhaps there is something that will grab it and play it back without the delay.
    The problem is not the "delay" the problem is we need to see it play in actual time. In the Storyboard Room you can choose how many frames per second you are looking at... that needs to play at that speed. If I do a preview at 15fps it needs to play at 15fps... or preview at 5fps it needs to play at 5fps.... It doesn't need to render in realtime, just adjust the playback so it is realtime (or actual time - however you want to call it).

Like After Effect's RAM PREVIEW. Controls for the size of the frame and the FPS.... AE has an option for Render Every 5th Frame, etc...

The storyboard already renders sequntial frames in OpenGL, but the way it displays isn't helpful for timing or sound fx.

Post edited by wetcircuit on
    edited December 1969

cdordoni said:
    The problem is not the "delay" the problem is we need to see it play in actual time.

That's exactly what I mean by delay, the frames are not being played back in real time.

The methods of OpenGL capture may overcome this, or may not. I don't know enough about it other than its possible to grab the OpenGL from your video card.

edited December 1969

here's an example:
    http://www.fraps.com/

edited December 1969

I'm on a Mac. It's easy to just do a screen grab. Maybe I am missing something but this would not be even close to what I am talking about.

edited December 1969

I'm on a Mac. It's easy to just do a screen grab. Maybe I am missing something but this would not be even close to what I am talking about.
    Right. I agree with Holly.
    The issue is that, when playing back either an animation sequence or a mimic setup (which, I guess, is also an animation sequence - slaps forehead), we're actually seeing a step-by-step notched out playback, not even close to the fps that the sequence is set to be.

A good example would be how we can view animations in DAZ Studio - in particular when looking at aniBlocks. It would be most beneficial if we could get correctly timed playback in the view port, even if it has to diminish the actual visual render... it's the playback speed that's most important - the fluidity of it all. but with today's OpenGL and the Graphics cards that run it, we should be able to get at least as good of a view as what we get in DAZ Studio's aniMate playback.

edited December 1969

That was an example of something that can grab the OpenGL display, not that it solves your need specifically. I know you are on a Mac.

You want to take the OpenGL display and run it so it plays back every frame at a consistent rate, so that it displays in real time.

The purpose of my comment was to inform you that it MAY be possible to achieve what you need or want right now. If you want me to give you the solution, we'll that's a different matter.

edited December 1969

cdordoni said:
    That was an example of something that can grab the OpenGL display, not that it solves your need specifically. I know you are on a Mac.

You want to take the OpenGL display and run it so it plays back every frame at a consistent rate, so that it displays in real time.

The purpose of my comment was to inform you that it MAY be possible to achieve what you need or want right now. If you want me to give you the solution, we'll that's a different matter.

Hmmm... It might not be too bad for not-so-lengthy animation to run a quick OpenGL grab for each frame and then run it back as a video at the correct speed. If it was saved to an image sequence format, which could easily be done quickly in Howler, we could even open the sequence in Carrara's render room to view it. Or just use Howler, since it's open anyways ;)

good call for the possible solution.

I still agree with Holly that we could use this optimization in Carrara

edited December 1969

cross platform openGL capture:
    http://apitrace.github.io/#apitrace

edited December 1969

cdordoni said:
    cross platform openGL capture:
    http://apitrace.github.io/#apitrace

thank you! will look into it!

edited December 1969

Unfortunately it seems Macs have fewer options for working with the OpenGL output directly.

If the card vendors are not providing the development tools for all platforms consistently, there seems little the software developers can do.

edited December 1969

cdordoni said:
    Unfortunately it seems Macs have fewer options for working with the OpenGL output directly.

If the card vendors are not providing the development tools for all platforms consistently, there seems little the software developers can do.

I have read it is the other way around, that it is Apple who control OpenGL on the Macs and they seem to be "disinterested".... I don't know personally.
    edited May 2014

I have read it is the other way around, that it is Apple who control OpenGL on the Macs and they seem to be "disinterested".... I don't know personally.

That could be true. I assumed it would be the card developer who would responsible for providing support or sdk for their products.

I did notice that some of NVidia's tools for OSX were either lagging behind the PC versions, or non-existent. So if Apple's responsible for maintaining OpenGL for their platform, that would explain why the card makers have less support for the Mac.

Post edited by cdordoni on
    edited December 1969

It would be nice if render resolution, aspect ratio etc could be set on a per camera basis. That way I could have (say) camera 1 set to 720p video resolution, camera 2 set to 4x3 portrait etc. and I could easily switch back and forth between them without having to faff about redoing the settings every time.

Also a "Quarter size quick render" toggle would be really handy.

edited December 1969

"An error occurred while executing a save" - Fix it!!! >:(

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,073
    edited December 1969

Tim_A said:
    "An error occurred while executing a save" - Fix it!!! >:(

I would like to associate myself with this remark. >:-(

• edited December 1969

Hi

Just one thing - that would make a huge difference - enabling mutithreading/multicore use in the assembly room.

At the moment, multithreading is only enabled for rendering. In the assembly room only 1 core works which causes complex scenes slow to a crawl even when simply trying to move objects.

Video cards, Open GL and so forth would scarcely be an issue given the huge performance increase this would make.

• dot_batdot_bat Posts: 373
    edited December 1969

tear off detachable palettes. too much digging

edited December 1969

Tim_A, i dont remember who made this-"Border_Frame_Camera". i made the same request as you for independent cameras. i thank the guy every time i use it. its a camera thats aspect ratio can be changed with morphs but not the resolution. i work with stills, maybe helpful to you

edited December 1969

Thanks dot_bat, I'll look for that. I like to get more than one setup from a scene, and quite often want to switch between portrait and landscape.

(I suppose the other way to do it would be to rotate the camera through 90 degrees, but that then means un-rotating the image in post)

edited December 1969

Tim_A said:
    Thanks dot_bat, I'll look for that. I like to get more than one setup from a scene, and quite often want to switch between portrait and landscape.

(I suppose the other way to do it would be to rotate the camera through 90 degrees, but that then means un-rotating the image in post)

Nope. Just set up the cameras separately. Enter the appropriate ratio with the production frame on during setup of each camera, and name them so that you know how you want them rendered. Save the scene.
    Now go to the render room (the scene can be closed by this point), and use the Batch Queue to Add the same scene for each different camera you've made, and set the aspect ratio to match your intentions.

I often take two to four shots of each animation I do, so that I have more to choose from in the editing phase of production ;)

edited December 1969

Tim_A, i have the file if you have some where i can drop it off to you let me know

• DUDUDUDU Posts: 1,945
    edited December 1969

dot_bat said:
    Tim_A, i dont remember who made this-"Border_Frame_Camera". i made the same request as you for independent cameras. i thank the guy every time i use it. its a camera thats aspect ratio can be changed with morphs but not the resolution. i work with stills, maybe helpful to you

If you speak about that: http://woodscreation.co.uk/border-rendering-in-carrara/

edited December 1969

DUDU_00001 thats it thanx

• DUDUDUDU Posts: 1,945
    edited December 1969

dot_bat said:
    DUDU_00001 thats it thanx

Thanks to "CarraraCafe"...;-)

http://carraracafe.com/news/border-rendering-tool/