Hexagon to Daz Failure

edited December 1969 in Hexagon Discussion

I have a starship I made in Hexagon. I need it so it keeps its materials when I export it. So far none of the default Exports have worked, so I tried to send it to daz to export as FBX, a format I know works. But every time I send it from HExagon to daz, I lose all my shading domains. Whats going on and how do I correct this.

Comments

• patience55patience55 Posts: 7,006
    edited December 1969

I have a starship I made in Hexagon. I need it so it keeps its materials when I export it. So far none of the default Exports have worked, so I tried to send it to daz to export as FBX, a format I know works. But every time I send it from HExagon to daz, I lose all my shading domains. Whats going on and how do I correct this.

Well, that's a 'communication' issue between the 2 programs.

I make .obj files in Hexagon for D/S. In D/S after 'all' the mesh editing is finished; the uvmap created and unfolded, remade, re-arranged, etc. Then each area is assigned its very own 'shading domain'.

Now there's also a little trick to making better uvmaps in Hexagon, so sometimes I make the shading domains, to remake the uvmaps; then remove the shading domains and at some point create the final Shading Domains. EACH Shading Domain "must" have its very own material assigned to it. Never mind what the colours are, just so long as they are all different.

[save the project file]

Export out the file, I know this works with the .obj files.
    Close Hexagon.
    Open Hexagon.
    Import in the newly created .obj [or whatever] file.
    Make sure that the 'only' materials listed are those in use.
    Incre Save the project file.
    Export out the final .obj file.

Import the file into D/S and from the Surface Tab, assign the colours and/or textures desired for each surface. Here you can apply the same colour to all of them if so desired. Save out your new prop or figure file and carry on.

n.b. "welding" "Edit > undo" and a few other actions can cause Hexagon to immediately dump all the Shading domains OR the uvmap. So keep an eye that the uvmap still exists, the shading domains exist, etc before making the final saves and final exports and closing the program. Incremental saves can be very handy ;-)

• patience55patience55 Posts: 7,006
    edited December 1969

Don't recall what the default settings were atm, but Hexagon will remember the settings last used [normally].

005.png
    1000 x 500 - 195K
    004.png
    744 x 552 - 65K
    003.png
    863 x 458 - 84K
    002.png
    530 x 474 - 75K
    001.png
    1000 x 393 - 150K