DAZ Sub-dragon in Poser and missing IK

SimonWMSimonWM Posts: 924
edited December 1969 in Poser Discussion

When I load the subdragon in Poser it is missing its IK. I've tried resetting my downloads and re-installing and the result is the same, IK shows as grayed out on my menu. IK works fine in DAZ Studio though. Does anyone knows what I'm doing wrong? Have tried Poser Pro and Poser Pro 2012 with the same results.

1.jpg
1920 x 1169 - 304K

Comments

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 96,849
    edited December 1969

I believe that the SubDragon lacks IK chains - I'm pretty sure I've seen other complaints about this.

• SimonWMSimonWM Posts: 924
    edited December 1969

Thank you, Richard. I'm working with an animator whose files have IK in Poser so don't know how that happened unless the animator setup the IK in Poser herself.

• DarkRiderDLMCDarkRiderDLMC Posts: 561
    edited December 1969

SimonWM said:
    Thank you, Richard. I'm working with an animator whose files have IK in Poser so don't know how that happened unless the animator setup the IK in Poser herself.

How does SubDragon render for you in newer poser? I waited forever to buy it due to cost and when I did, found it rendered with wing discoloration and holes in the wing diaphragms. There were work-arounds like turning off shadows and something else, but I just quit using it.

I've always found it to be daz's best looking dragon.

• Cliff BowmanCliff Bowman Posts: 1,677
    edited December 1969

SimonWM said:

She must have added them herself, because it really doesn't have IK chains in the .CR2 as supplied by DAZ. It's not a hard job to add basic IK chains in Poser.

How does SubDragon render for you in newer poser? I waited forever to buy it due to cost and when I did, found it rendered with wing discoloration and holes in the wing diaphragms. There were work-arounds like turning off shadows and something else, but I just quit using it.

I've always found it to be daz's best looking dragon.

It is indeed a lovely looking dragon that I was very enthusiastic about when it first came out, before I discovered problems like the intersecting wing membranes and lack of IK. I also, effectively, quit using it when it became apparent that DAZ didn't believe fixing it would earn them sufficient extra sales to make the work worthwhile.

The low-res mesh does in fact intersect - it's a problem that can be visible in DAZ Studio as well, so it's not limited to Poser. The best fixes would be to edit the mesh, adding in a corrective morph, or to apply displacement to the wings to seperate the upper and lower surfaces - ideally using a displacement map to seperate the wings only where needed. I believe the best of those would be a morph, as using displacement could get tricky if you want to use displacement in textures to provide additional data.

The SubDragon is also a bit low-res, which means that areas like the neck don't bend as smoothly as I'd like in Poser, even with mesh smoothing turned on. I know of no workaround for this except to export a higher-resolution version of the figure - and that might require a lot more work if it means the rigging needs to be tweaked (it might, it might not).

Cheers,

Cliff