Now Available: SPEX for Genesis [Commercial]

SloshSlosh Posts: 2,391

SPEX for Genesis is a pair of conforming, morphing glasses for Genesis. SPEX fits 37 characters in the Genesis gene pool, including generations 3, 4 and 5 Michael, Victoria, Aiko, Hiro, Freak, Stephanie, David (3 and 5 only), The Girl 4, and the Young Teens Julie and Justin, Genesis Basic Male, Female, and Child, Troll for Genesis, Sadie and Sam, Mavka, Jason and Jasmin, Chibi Boy and Chibi Girl, Hitomi, and Satsuki. Also supported are Genesis Evolution Head Morphs and Expressions, Manly Men, Bruisers Thugs and Tough Guys, Aaron and Andrea, Genesis Ethnicity Morphs, Azumi, Dryden, Takeo, Benjamin, James, Candace, Riley, Emilie and Edward Odd, Dean, Sean, Gunner, and Neo, as well as all head morphs that came with each of the above listed characters. I think that's all of them. And if your favorite morph is not on the list, SPEX comes with a second pair of morphing glasses with the same functionality as original SPEX without the character morphs built in. Simply select your figure's head and the glasses are smart-propped. This includes the new Genesis 2 Female and the original DAZ characters, such as Victoria 4, Aiko 3, David, and any other monster or alien in your arsenal.

So, what else do SPEX do? SPEX and SPEX2, the smart prop version, both come loaded with morphs to change the shape and style of your glasses, including 12 dial-spun shapes, 5 arm styles, and 12 morphs to change the dimensions of your frames. Special posing morphs allow adjustments to make that perfect fit.

There are 14 included style presets for quick loading of color and frame style, as well as 48 material presets, 44 matching shader presets, and 25 lens settings presets for color, tint, and magnification. Mix and match styles, frames, and lenses to get the glasses you want for that perfect look.

The first set of attached renders are straight from DAZ Studio 4.6 with no postwork, except the last 3 for compositing only. No adjustments to contrast, color or anything else.

popup_5.jpg
500 x 650 - 327K
popup_4.jpg
500 x 650 - 357K
popup_2.jpg
500 x 650 - 248K
popup_1.jpg
500 x 650 - 234K
Main.jpg
500 x 650 - 288K
Post edited by Slosh on

Comments

• SloshSlosh Posts: 2,391
    edited July 2013

This next set of renders, also untouched, shows the glasses on a few more characters. The first is Aiko 3 and Hiro 3, the next one is The Girl 4 with Freak 5 and the Dum-Dum head morph by Joe Quick, the next one is Hitomi and Mavka, then Sadie and Sam, and finally Genesis 2 Female and Taiga. The last pic has G2F and Taiga wearing SPEX2, since I only got Taiga this morning. Their morphs are not included at this time, although I will try to update new characters as I get them.

I will post one more list of pics that mainly contain test renders I did while making the glasses.

GF2Taiga.jpg
    500 x 650 - 182K
    SadieSam.jpg
    500 x 650 - 217K
    HitomiMavka.jpg
    500 x 650 - 201K
    G4F5.jpg
    500 x 650 - 194K
    A3H3.jpg
    500 x 650 - 216K
    Post edited by Slosh on
    edited December 1969

These final pics are test renders, so the lighting may not be the best. But first, is a store display type setup of the 14 included preset styles.

Slim_Frames.jpg
    357 x 500 - 169K
    Chibi_Girl.jpg
    500 x 700 - 167K
    Chibi_Boy.jpg
    600 x 600 - 162K
    popup_3.jpg
    500 x 650 - 281K
  • Joe CotterJoe Cotter Posts: 3,259
    edited December 1969

Looks interesting. I hope it does well for you Slosh :)

• SzarkSzark Posts: 10,634
    edited December 1969

Very cool Slosh good lucj with your first PA product.

Will you supply the stands too....please.

• V3DigitimesV3Digitimes Posts: 3,049
    edited December 1969

This looks nice!!!
    I'm curious and I have a one question :
    for Generation 4, are there morphs that will allow us to adjust the glasses to different M4 or V4 head morphs?

edited December 1969

Szark said:
    Very cool Slosh good lucj with your first PA product.

Will you supply the stands too....please.

I hadn't thought about that, but I don't see why not. I'll put them on ShareCG after release. You might have to remind me.

• SzarkSzark Posts: 10,634
    edited December 1969

Cheers Slosh and yes I will remind you. LOL

edited July 2013

Kadix said:
    This looks nice!!!
    I'm curious and I have a one question :
    for Generation 4, are there morphs that will allow us to adjust the glasses to different M4 or V4 head morphs?

Are you talking about Genesis with M4 and V4 morphs through GenX? If so, the answer is SPEX2 will work fine for that. There are simply too many morphs to have incorporated them into SPEX. M4 and V4 shapes for Genesis work with SPEX, even combined with other characters, but any Morph++ type morphs need to use SPEX2, which is included, of course.

Oh, let me add that if you we're not talking about M4 and V4 for Genesis, but just the good old fashioned Gen4 versions of them, then yes, use SPEX2 and you can use any morphs you have, they will not hurt the glasses.

Post edited by Slosh on
  • SimonJMSimonJM Posts: 5,945
    edited December 1969

Looking good! :)

• LimneryLimnery Posts: 126
    edited December 1969

Very cool! Looking forward to picking them up when they're released.

• Lissa_xyzLissa_xyz Posts: 6,116
    edited July 2013

These look wonderful!

(daz forums min char count is too high)

Post edited by Lissa_xyz on
  • Herald of FireHerald of Fire Posts: 3,504
    edited December 1969

Nice promo renders Slosh. These SPEX can be very flexible indeed, there are literally dozens of combinations you can create with the morphs supplied. Here's a render I did recently with a dial-spun character and conforming SPEX.

SPEX.png
    1000 x 1000 - 1M
  • WilmapWilmap Posts: 2,917
    edited December 1969

Nice lot of renders.

Good Luck with Daz Slosh.

• anikadanikad Posts: 1,919
    edited December 1969

Wow, great renders. I'll have to pick this up.

• SpottedKittySpottedKitty Posts: 7,232
    edited December 1969

Interesting. Is there any way to use the chibi style on a normal head to get the Elton John effect?

edited December 1969

Nice promo renders Slosh. These SPEX can be very flexible indeed, there are literally dozens of combinations you can create with the morphs supplied. Here's a render I did recently with a dial-spun character and conforming SPEX.

Very, very nice, HoF. What character is she? She doesn't look like the Genesis child, so I am assuming K4? Or a custom mix?

edited December 1969

Interesting. Is there any way to use the chibi style on a normal head to get the Elton John effect?

I'm not sure what you mean, exactly. The Chibis don't have a style that is specific to them, the glasses are the same on all characters. The only difference is that the Chibis enormous heads don't leave much room for morphs, so SPEX won't change much when morphs are dialed in. To get around that, I would use SPEX2, which morph just fine once they are sized to fit the head. As far as creating Elton John's style, you can make such a thing by using the various shaping morphs. And since "regular heads" are not so big, it would be much easier than the Chibis. There is a "Frames Round" option, as well as a "Frames Thicker" option, which combined should do the trick. Then, a custom texture would really bring it together. SPEX actually comes with two UV mapping options, one that is great for tiled textures such as camouflage (included) and another for planar mapping, such as the Stars and Stripes that Sam is wearing. Of course, you can use different mapping on each of the 5 different material zones on the frames, such as planar for the round parts and default (tiling) for the arms.

edited December 1969

It's been raining all day (actually all week) here in Florida, and my internet and cable have only just come back online, so I haven't been able to read up or reply to this thread until now. My apologies.

edited December 1969

Someone just sent me a PM asking me if there was any particular reason I chose to go with conforming glasses rather than strictly prop glasses, and I thought it would be best to answer here.

Prop glasses are perfectly acceptable in every situation. They are not subject to distortion from Genesis' morphs and they move along with the character as they should. But, what if you have your character all set up, clothed, hair, etc. then you realize you want to add a little bit of Jasmin, or maybe change the figure altogether. That would require refitting your glasses in most cases. With conforming glasses, that is not necessary, they change when you need them to. Granted, if you apply a morph that has not been supported yet, there may be some distortion, but in nearly every case, you can dial down the generated morph in the glasses' parameters to eliminate the distortion. For example, let's say you have V5 set up and she is wearing SPEX. You decide to dial in a GenX morph that you really like. This morph is not supported because there are just too many possibilities for me to have accounted for them in SPEX. Open the hidden properties in the parameters tab of SPEX and find the GenX head morph you just dialed in. Now, dial it down to 0% and the glasses should be fine. In most cases, the prop glasses (SPEX2) will not even be needed as SPEX can be adapted pretty easily. Of course, there may be some exceptions, but most of the time they just work.

• dan.shivedan.shive Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

I didn't know how badly I wanted this exact product until I saw it here.

edited December 1969

dan.shive said:

That makes me smile. Hey, what is that ogre in your avatar? I think he is on my wishlist to buy for future morphs and projects, unless he is custom.

• dan.shivedan.shive Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Slosh said:
    dan.shive said:

That makes me smile. Hey, what is that ogre in your avatar? I think he is on my wishlist to buy for future morphs and projects, unless he is custom.
    It's the Skullcrusher Ogre, my favorite of the Daz Monstrosities.

• HeatherleeaHeatherleea Posts: 247
    edited December 1969

Awesome, great variety and styles. Congrats on your first product!

• Herald of FireHerald of Fire Posts: 3,504
    edited December 1969

Slosh said:
    Very, very nice, HoF. What character is she? She doesn't look like the Genesis child, so I am assuming K4? Or a custom mix?
    She's a custom Genesis mix. A blend of morphs which are compatible with SPEX, really just to demonstrate that they work fine even when mixing figures together. A little basic child, a little Julie and a little [redacted].

There are quite a few style morphs available for the SPEX which can be mixed and matched to give much larger glasses. Here's David 5 sporting the world's cheesiest grin and silliest spectacles. All of this was done using the provided morphs and conforming glasses, with no extra scaling required.
    Crazy_Spex.jpg
    1000 x 1000 - 549K
  • CyberDogCyberDog Posts: 232
    edited December 1969

These will be in my basket the moment they hit the store. I was just looking for morphing glasses.

• Dino GrampsDino Gramps Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Looks like a great product. A sure sale for my runtime!

• RAMWolffRAMWolff Posts: 10,146
    edited December 1969

This set looks to be very fabulous. The Elton John look would be easy as you can see from above. Just throw a sparkle shader on the frame zones and it's totally Elton! :-)

edited December 1969

RAMWolff said:
    This set looks to be very fabulous. The Elton John look would be easy as you can see from above. Just throw a sparkle shader on the frame zones and it's totally Elton! :-)

Sparkly shader comes in 5 preset colors, but you can change the diffuse channel to any color or texture. The glitter is actually in the specular channels.

This is not supposed to represent Sir Elton, just maybe a super fan... so no haters, please. (smiley face, winky face)

SparklyBlue.jpg
    384 x 500 - 115K
  • RAMWolffRAMWolff Posts: 10,146
    edited December 1969

FABULOUS! Nice shader!

• Digital Lite DesignDigital Lite Design Posts: 728
    edited December 1969

Love these! Definitely a must have. We need more things like this. : ) Realistic accessories. This is something I will buy as soon as it is out. : )