Relationship between CPU and Ram when rendering.

Lissa_xyzLissa_xyz Posts: 6,116
edited December 1969 in Daz Studio Discussion

I'm starting this thread so I can avoid a further hijack of where I initially posted. If I read right somewhere, the CPU is used to I guess collect the data in the scene, while the ram is used to actually push the pixels out. I'm not sure if it's right or not, I'm just trying to understand what each of them do. Here's a link to my previous post in another thread (which sparked me to start this one): http://www.daz3d.com/forums/viewreply/365282/

Comments

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,565
    edited December 1969

The opposite, for the most part: RAM is needed to hold all the elements in the scene, CPU does all the calculations.

• JimmyC_2009JimmyC_2009 Posts: 8,891
    edited December 1969

The current DAZ Studio renderer, 3Delight, does not use the graphics chip at all. The GPU is obviously used to paint the screen in any system though, but it does not work out any of the algorithms for the render process.

Other render engines, Luxrender for example, can use the GPU in tandem with the CPU for the actual render process. Octane only uses the GPU as far as I know, but it can use two GPUs with many CUDA cores, so the CPU is not used at all for the rendering process.

• Lissa_xyzLissa_xyz Posts: 6,116
    edited December 1969

Thanks, Mike. So I had it, just backwards. lol

Jimmy, I knew the GPU did nothing but the viewport. Since you brought up the GPU though, do you happen to know if DS recognizes both of my cards (SLI) or only uses 1?

• JimmyC_2009JimmyC_2009 Posts: 8,891
    edited December 1969

I am afraid I don't know is the honest answer, but i suspect it will only be able to see the one that is currently listed (or listed first).

I think Mike probably knows the answer to that one.

• adamr001adamr001 Posts: 1,322
    edited December 1969

To my knowledge, DS will use all the GPU cores (so shows my GPU meter) and all the RAM of the both cards in the SLI setup.

edited December 1969

Thanks, Adam. What meter do you use? Gpuz?

• frank0314frank0314 Posts: 13,361
    edited December 1969

I use GPU Meter from addgadgets.com http://addgadgets.com/gpu_meter/

• jestmartjestmart Posts: 4,449
    edited December 1969

It is my understanding that having two 1GB SLI linked graphics card is not the same as having one 2GB graphics card. The SLI cards are splitting the load but working in tandem so their memory buffer has to have the same data.

edited June 2013

jestmart said:
    It is my understanding that having two 1GB SLI linked graphics card is not the same as having one 2GB graphics card. The SLI cards are splitting the load but working in tandem so their memory buffer has to have the same data.

Well, the way it works, at least in gaming, is that my 2 460GTX cards work in tandem and become as powerful as a single 580GTX, but in DS, if only one of my cards are seen, then it's like my viewport is using a single 460 and not a 580.

This is what both of my cards are: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130571

EVGA Superclocked GTX460
    Core Clock 763MHz
    Shader Clock 1526MHz
    CUDA Cores 336

Effective Memory Clock 3800MHz
    Memory Size 1GB
    Memory Interface 256-bit
    Memory Type GDDR5

DirectX 11
    OpenGL 4.0

Post edited by Lissa_xyz on