QUIRKY, HUMOROUS, FAST AND FURIOUS: Fabulous Prizes! WIP Thread:

12345679»

Comments

• AntaraAntara Posts: 444
    edited December 1969

Somehow the smoke particle preset was broken for C8. As Headwax said above you can open it in C7 and save it as a scene file. If you don't have C7, I put a scene file up on ShareCG:
    http://www.ShareCG.com/v/64199/view/5/3D-Model/Carrara-Particle-Smoke

Yay! Thank you so much!!! It worked! :D Thank you for making it available. Maybe we should have a sticky post somewhere with such bug fixes. So that other people who stumble upon the same errors could get the fixed version too.

If DAZ doesn't fix it themselves they should at least help by making such a post of user-fixes sticky. Or maybe post about it at CarraraCafe?

• de3ande3an Posts: 915
    edited December 1969

Welcome to Hogtown! Where pigs learn to fly.

The plane and pig are original creations.
    The items on the ground are from the Carrara objects folder.
    Trees are from the plant editor, reproduced with replicators.
    Smoke trail is a particle generator on a motion path.

hogtown.jpg
    1024 x 768 - 324K
  • HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,922
    edited December 1969

de3an said:

Beautiful! Beautiful! You've done a great job - it's something I tried a failed at miserably. The smoke stream and the little figures really add a little something extra!

• VarselVarsel Posts: 574
    edited December 1969

It looks like it's gone be some really good entries.
    So I have finished mine and put it up in the entry tread...

So just for the fun:
    A new hazard in the morning commute.

tease01.jpg
    800 x 600 - 277K
  • EleleElele Posts: 1,097
    edited July 2013

Varsel said:
    It looks like it's gone be some really good entries.
    So I have finished mine and put it up in the entry tread...

So just for the fun:
    A new hazard in the morning commute.

Great render!
    ...I can't tell if the cow is scared or turned on :D

Post edited by Elele on
    edited December 1969

de3an said:

Piggies!
    How I've missed that lil pig, when's your avatar coming back?

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,800
    edited July 2013

De3an's avatar is there
    you just cannot see it, I can on Android and Chrome (not IE prob)
    Some never get to see them
    they hide here http://www.daz3d.com/images/avatars/uploads/20802815364b217d2b334d3.jpg
    you might not see my troll either then but my older one

Post edited by WendyLuvsCatz on
    edited December 1969

De3an's avatar is there
    you just cannot see it, I can on Android and Chrome (not IE prob)
    Some never get to see them
    they hide here http://www.daz3d.com/images/avatars/uploads/20802815364b217d2b334d3.jpg
    you might not see my troll either then but my older one

Noooooooo...
    What a cruel world we live in :(

• evilproducerevilproducer Posts: 9,040
    edited December 1969

Antara said:

Somehow the smoke particle preset was broken for C8. As Headwax said above you can open it in C7 and save it as a scene file. If you don't have C7, I put a scene file up on ShareCG:
    http://www.ShareCG.com/v/64199/view/5/3D-Model/Carrara-Particle-Smoke

Yay! Thank you so much!!! It worked! :D Thank you for making it available. Maybe we should have a sticky post somewhere with such bug fixes. So that other people who stumble upon the same errors could get the fixed version too.

If DAZ doesn't fix it themselves they should at least help by making such a post of user-fixes sticky. Or maybe post about it at CarraraCafe?

That's a good idea. I can try and put it up at the Carrara Cafe!

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,073
    edited December 1969

Woe is me.

I didn't get a chance to work on my WIPs for a couple of weeks, and now I can't find the files. I thought I kept everything in a directory called DAZ monthly contests, but the rhino-cow, ape-cowboys, and stampeding armadillos are nowhere to be found. The worst part is that I did find some of the saved test renders in the directory, so I know I'm not imagining getting started on these projects for the July contest.

Aaargh.

On the bright side, there is still time remaining. On the other hand, ...

edited December 1969

Varsek, I laughed out loud at your entry ( a good laugh) :)

edited December 1969

diomede64 said:
    Woe is me.

I didn't get a chance to work on my WIPs for a couple of weeks, and now I can't find the files. I thought I kept everything in a directory called DAZ monthly contests, but the rhino-cow, ape-cowboys, and stampeding armadillos are nowhere to be found. The worst part is that I did find some of the saved test renders in the directory, so I know I'm not imagining getting started on these projects for the July contest.

Aaargh.

On the bright side, there is still time remaining. On the other hand, ...

never too late ;)

edited December 1969

Just a reminder.
    The challenge ends in three days.
    There's some great prizes on offer.
    In addition to Daz vouchers don't forget DimensionTheory's wonderful generosity.

PRIZES:

DIMENSIONTHEORY

I’m proud to announce that, along with DAZ’s kind sponsorship, well known Carrarrite DimensionTheory will be generously sponsoring this month’s challenge.

So in addition to DAZ’ coupons outlined below we have DimensionTheory’s magnificent:

1st Place: Monterey HDRIs for first place: http://www.daz3d.com/hdr-prosets-monterey

2nd Place: Cloud Nine Atmospheric Clouds: http://www.daz3d.com/cloud-nine-atmospheric-clouds-for-carrara

3rd Place: Skies of Terra Volume One : http://www.daz3d.com/skies-of-terra-volume-one

These are all superb pieces of engineering. If you know DimensionTheory’s attention to detail and his artistry you’ll realise what wonderful prizes these are.

Thank you DimensionTheory!!

You can see DimensionTheory’s store here: http://www.daz3d.com/dimensiontheory

You’ll find he has 20 rip roaring products for Carrara.

DAZ

And once again DAZ has been kind enough to sponsor us. Thankyou Britney!
    DAZ is donating:

Ist Place: a $50 coupon
    2nd Place will win a $30 coupon
    3rd Place wins a $15 coupon
    In addition the Honorable Mention will receive a $5 coupon code.

DAZ has been very generous in encouraging these Carrara Challenges and has offered to support us once a month!

Please note that the coupons are for DAZ3D items.

So if you can please reward our sponsors by putting some work in the Challenge.

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,073
    edited December 1969

Suggestions welcome.

planet_of_the_apes_WIP.jpg
    1480 x 1973 - 238K
    edited December 1969

Ha ha wonderful, you made me laugh out loud :) Chester Harlequin is such an appropriate name.
    Ah my suggestions?
    Oh I'd probably try and get a texture on the canvas of the wagon cause it is so close to the viewer.
    Maybecheck out the planet of the apes posters for ideas on font and text placement.
    ?
    http://www.allposters.com/-st/Planet-of-the-Apes-Movies-Posters_c497_.htm
    I never knew Charlton Heston was in planet of the apes!

edited December 1969

I am loving the great and inventive images here.

And I also just finished my second entry. ( http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/25907/P15/#387518 ) I don't have any meaningful WIP's, again.

However, this snail was the one I kept having issues with the UV map not sticking to the object. Even after multiple exports and imports and all that (UGH!), but I did force it to render correctly by reapplying my selected UV layout (thankfully one of the basic ones) right before I rendered. (If I saved it and reopened or just went through the saving process, the blasted UV collapsed to the blasted dot.... did I mention "UGH!!!" ?)

Aaanyhow. I did get it to render OK in the end, which is the important bit.

Instead of the WIP, I just wanted to share the same render before and after post.

I am nowhere near head wax's level of postwork skills, but I did go a bit beyond my usual workflow. Although I do usually mess with layers and add DOF or smoke/fog when needed, it was my first time experimenting with PS motion blur. And with the ability to select individual objects by Index in the Index channel of the render's multi-passes, I found the Motion Blur filter in PS very useful for the job and much more convenient than the slow one inside Carrara rendering. Also this way I had more control over it. For example, the leaf has a different direction of the motion blur than the snail, because as the snail is climbing the leaf and is moving towards the camera, the leaf is shaking in the vertical motion under the snail's weight. I'm not sure I'd be able to get this done in Carrara without rendering the whole thing (or just the blurry objects) twice.

Right now I can't think of anything else to say about this. The scene is very basic and simple, again. And especially compared to most of the others here. But if there are any questions about the scene, I'd be happy to answer.

Snail3.jpg
    1600 x 1200 - 754K
    Snail2.jpg
    1600 x 1200 - 1M
  • WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,800
    edited December 1969

beautiful work
    (even if I do want to pluck the blighter off the leaf and smash it against the fence)

edited December 1969

beautiful work
    (even if I do want to pluck the blighter off the leaf and smash it against the fence)

Yes it's a beautiful job you did Antara. The snail is especially good, the textures look like a real snail. The snail looks good enough to eat (with some garlic and white wine and a little green herb) .

So Index in the Index channel? I'll have to try that, thanks for the heads up, it might be one of the ones I have never looked at it,

Great entries, the standard is very high for everyone!

edited December 1969

head wax said:
    beautiful work

Yes it's a beautiful job you did Antara. The snail is especially good, the textures look like a real snail. The snail looks good enough to eat (with some garlic and white wine and a little green herb) .

So Index in the Index channel? I'll have to try that, thanks for the heads up, it might be one of the ones I have never looked at it,

Great entries, the standard is very high for everyone!

Thank you Wendy and Andrew!
    (although I was hoping for more compassionate reactions to the snail :). the poor thing is trying so hard!)

I use Index channel all the time to select individual objects or groups of objects in the scene. Now I can't even imagine how I lived before it :). It's one of the best features of multi-pass for me :). Out of all the channels/masks, I mostly use just Index and Distance ones.

Speaking of channels: I am a bit perplexed by the fact that Carrara saves AO as a channel instead of a layer, when it saves a render as PSD file. I rarely render out AO, but when I did I couldn't find it in the layers and then stumbled upon it by accident in the channels. Had to copy and paste it as a layer with multiply mode in order for it to look as I expected it to look. Did I do it wrong? is the AO channel intended to be used differently? More as a mask for something?

edited December 1969

Just a reminder this challenge ends today.
    Wonderful entries all :)

• 0oseven0oseven Posts: 626
    edited December 1969

Justa last minute post of the WIP "Prototype" rocket used in my entry
    also an unintended render that produced an interesting result playing around with blur setting !! .

Rocket_Road_5_blur.jpg
    1600 x 900 - 130K
    AusNavy_LOST_1.jpg
    800 x 450 - 180K
  • 0oseven0oseven Posts: 626
    edited December 1969

Love the flying pig and the snail image - very nice work.

edited December 1969

0oseven said:
    Justa last minute post of the WIP "Prototype" rocket used in my entry
    also an unintended render that produced an interesting result playing around with blur setting !! .

top one looks great, love that sail :)