V6, DAZ's most successful release?

Comments

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,565
    edited December 1969

Kyoto Kid said:
    sjhayes2 said:
    icprncss said:

In the Poserverse, what makes a figure successful and what doesn't? For most, it's support. A vendor can make the most amazing figure out there (Apollo Maximus is a prime example) but if there is no 3rd party support, it doesn't really succeed. In those terms, V4 would have to be considered DAZ's most successful release.

I agree.

...seconded, thirded, or whatever.

I assume we can take for granted that DAZ 3D literally means release, as in the first couple of days. Obviously, given how long V4 was THE DAZ 3D flagship product, it has the most support. How many were sold the first couple of days is the only meaningful comparison one could make.

• IvyIvy Posts: 7,153
    edited December 1969

DAZ has caught the interest of many commercial investors with the release of Daz Studio 4... so disgruntled hobbyists (with smaller pocketbooks) are not their most lucrative merchants.

And if you want your older figures supported, you have to show that support with your wallet, not forum posts.

I have to agree. as a primary poser user I don't buy anything Genesis never have since it was released. & with poser's new sub-div. I can pretty much do anything i want with poser that Genesis can do.

I can't afford content for both poser & Genesis programs and seeming i just paid $249 for poser pro2014 In these financial tough times i figure if i can't use the products in both daz and poser with out having a bunch of tools in order to make it work what is the sense of buying it. & Besides almost all my poser content works great Daz4,6 with little adjustment in textures. and I am not criticizing Genesis. I am sure Genesis is great for some people. But my primary use is for cartoon animation so i really don't need all the, this and that Genesis morphs. I already have enough characters in my runtime now.
    Though I will admit. its to bad Genesis clothing sets does not integrate well with V4 and Alyson II . because there is some Genesis clothing i would like to have in my runtime. but working with it is not worth the effort to me anyway. If Daz was my primary 3D program then I might invested in Genesis products. but not when I'm trying to buy & use content in Multiple 3d programs, so Genesis just does fit my needs for that reason.

Other than that Daz4.6 is a great improvement over daz4.0 and i really am liking it alot.
    I love the spot render tool and how much faster it renders larger 1920 x1080 animation scene. It loads faster and I had less crashes with daz4.6 so it is possible Daz's claim that Daz4.6 & v6 is the best release yet , for the simple reason the original Daz4.0 & Genesis was so terrible to use. But that is just my own opinion and reason why i don't buy or use anything Genesis.

• M F MM F M Posts: 1,388
    edited June 2013

BorgyB said:
    An interesting note to point out: how many customers do you imagine DAZ has in, say, a month? Say, a few thousand, tens of thousands, a million, perhaps? Now how many frequent the forums? The fact is, we have no idea how large the customer base is. ...

As a side-note - if you buy regularly (like once-weekly), you can make an educated guess by how fast the Invoice# is increasing. I've occasionally seen jumps of several thousand in a few days... (o.0). Admittedly, this is not the total number of _unique_ customers, but it does give a "wet finger to the wind" on how fast things are being purchased...
    Post edited by M F M on
  • TheKDTheKD Posts: 2,674
    edited December 1969

Some of the hobbyists seem to have a lot of disposable income, I get jealous often when I hear the monster machines some people own :D

I spent a lot of money over the years for content, when I had some extra money to do so. It's tight now, so often I have to make due with what I have, and a lot of it is very good. Many clothes with movement and unbutton morphs, all I really have to do is slap on a new texture map and maybe a new alpha map and I am good to go. I mean how many bikini meshes does one person really need? :P
    I got a fair deal of more real world type clothes than I do fantasy skank wear lol.

• nobody1954nobody1954 Posts: 933
    edited December 1969

1. Fact: I didn't buy V6. Nothing against DAZ, or Genesis 2, just not what I'm needing right now. Spent a fair amount on other things.
    2. Fact: I have no idea how many V6 and V6 products Daz sold.
    3. Fact: Any opinion I have about how the sales of V6 went are simply things I made up. See #2
    4. Using facts in an internet discussion is a complete waste of time. People believe what they have made up is just as valid as any fact, perhaps even more so. And can come up with multiple reasons why this is so.
    5. Some day, people will realize that discussions of this kind throw considerable insight into how the human mind works.

• TaozTaoz Posts: 9,731
    edited June 2013

BorgyB said:
    An interesting note to point out: how many customers do you imagine DAZ has in, say, a month?

According to order numbers, close to 900.000 orders during the last year. That's about 2400 orders per day.

User base was 2 million last time I saw the figures (two years ago I think).

Post edited by Taoz on
  • Satira CapriccioSatira Capriccio Posts: 523
    edited December 1969

Why is DAZ clothing so frequently clothing that isn't exactly appropriate for educational / business use? Since DAZ makes money off content rather than DAZ Studio (which is still free), wouldn't you expect to find more clothing geared toward educational / business use?

Not contradicting your statements. Just not quite sure I understand the direction DAZ takes with content if the "hobbyist" isn't the target for content.

I actually find cute that some of us tend to think DAZ or Poser is a heavily popular thing in the grand scale of the 3D world.

Yes, DAZ is largely popular enough with 3D content produces, artists and hobbyists to get a number of commending awards. But if you go into a game development program that focuses on Autodesk or ZBrush, or go to a gaming/filming conference, basically any high-scale professional 3D environment, and even mention DAZ or Poser, you'll get scoffed at and laughed out of the building...

Although this is true...

It doesn't discredit what I am trying to say. It doesn't matter if Daz Studio is a "joke" to the "grand scale of the 3D world" because the rest of the world, (i.e, advertising, illustration, web design, etc) is much MUCH bigger...

It's not just 3D enthusiasts who are using DAZ Studio. It may not be "huge" in the "3D world"... but it IS being used by artists in many different fields of interest... professional artists... who's expertise is not 3D, per se... but rather, art. Same people use Photoshop. Photoshop was created by a bunch of math geeks....but it's not math geeks who use it.

...just trying to put things in perspective.

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,565
    edited December 1969

5. Some day, people will realize that discussions of this kind throw considerable insight into how the human mind works.

I think you'll probably find that this has long been a fertile field of research in human behavior, and not just since the internet.

• Male-M3diaMale-M3dia Posts: 3,581
    edited December 1969

Ivy said:
    DAZ has caught the interest of many commercial investors with the release of Daz Studio 4... so disgruntled hobbyists (with smaller pocketbooks) are not their most lucrative merchants.

And if you want your older figures supported, you have to show that support with your wallet, not forum posts.

I have to agree. as a primary poser user I don't buy anything Genesis never have since it was released. & with poser's new sub-div. I can pretty much do anything i want with poser that Genesis can do.

I can't afford content for both poser & Genesis programs and seeming i just paid $249 for poser pro2014 In these financial tough times i figure if i can't use the products in both daz and poser with out having a bunch of tools in order to make it work what is the sense of buying it. & Besides almost all my poser content works great Daz4,6 with little adjustment in textures. and I am not criticizing Genesis. I am sure Genesis is great for some people. But my primary use is for cartoon animation so i really don't need all the, this and that Genesis morphs. I already have enough characters in my runtime now.
    Though I will admit. its to bad Genesis clothing sets does not integrate well with V4 and Alyson II . because there is some Genesis clothing i would like to have in my runtime. but working with it is not worth the effort to me anyway. If Daz was my primary 3D program then I might invested in Genesis products. but not when I'm trying to buy & use content in Multiple 3d programs, so Genesis just does fit my needs for that reason.

Other than that Daz4.6 is a great improvement over daz4.0 and i really am liking it alot.
    I love the spot render tool and how much faster it renders larger 1920 x1080 animation scene. It loads faster and I had less crashes with daz4.6 so it is possible Daz's claim that Daz4.6 & v6 is the best release yet , for the simple reason the original Daz4.0 & Genesis was so terrible to use. But that is just my own opinion and reason why i don't buy or use anything Genesis.

That's not what I meant when I posted that. You're talking about not buying content at all and that supports nothing.

• robkelkrobkelk Posts: 3,259
    edited December 1969

I buy it when it's made available.

(You should see my Rendo purchase history...)

• CypherFOXCypherFOX Posts: 3,401
    edited June 2013

Greetings,

Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passion, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.
    -- John Adams
    I estimate roughly 8,000 Platinum Club members, of which only around 1800 have posted more than once on the forums in the last year+. Setting the limit at, let's say, @Endrance's 19 posts, there's only about 725 folks who have posted more that many times or more. That's < 10%.

That's a better number than actual members of the site, because DAZ doesn't really do any spam-prevention, and they have a SIGNIFICANT spam-bot signup rate, but it's hard for the spam-bots to post, evidently, which is why we don't get as high a spam rate as we could. (For reference, from what I can see, there were a bit under 600 new users signed up today, but a terrifyingly huge number of them are obvious (to a human) spambots. Those things are scary, speaking as a forum admin (elsewhere) myself.)

I'd say they're running roughly 1-2 new Platinum Club members per day, which completely eliminates the spam-bots obviously, although that may be incorrect since it doesn't take into account folks who signed up for the site a long time ago and only recently converted to PC membership. I would bet that they have a chart of how much money, on average, they make from PC members per month, because folks who sign up for the PC probably tend to be slightly more active buyers. (That also probably explains why the ever-active-in-the-forum (over the last year) contingent of the PC is so high at around 23%, because folks who've taken the positive step to become PC members are also more likely to engage. But it's still less than 23% who do anything with the forum at all, much less care about the intricacies of one person's opinion versus another.)

I think they're doing fine, and I easily believe that V6 did quite well among the silent majority.

-- Morgan

Post edited by CypherFOX on
  • FauvistFauvist Posts: 2,038
    edited June 2013

I don't understand why any school would offer courses to teach DAZ Studio? Is some industry using DAZ Studio to produce movies or something? Why would anyone pay a license fee to use anything when they can use Blender for free forever. I might be wrong, but I think Blender can do anything DAZ Studio or Poser can do, and a whole lot more.

I'm just so tired of new products being introduced that aren't compatible with older content without having to jump through hoops to get it to work.

I have a ton of content for older figures that are most probably not compatible with V6. If there really is a huge number of people getting V6, then in a year or two they are going to be in the same position as me. Because V7 will introduced and everything for V6 will be unusable, and these newbies will have a ton of V6 content.

It's really too bad that DAZ can't seem to find a way to make new content compatible with old content and figures - without any hassles. Then everybody would be happy. People who bought $2000 worth of content for the Generation3 figures, and the people who bought Genesis, and people who buy V8.

Post edited by Fauvist on
  • ServantServant Posts: 756
    edited December 1969

Fauvist said:
    I don't understand why any school would offer courses to teach DAZ Studio? Is some industry using DAZ Studio to produce movies or something? Why would anyone pay a license fee to use anything when they can use Blender for free forever. I might be wrong, but I think Blender can do anything DAZ Studio or Poser can do, and a whole lot more.

Probably not an actual course that teaches DAZ studio but rather a course that uses DAZ studio as a tool. It's certainly a good way to "break in" a student, introducing the possibilities available in 3D/CGI software. It presents enough wow factor for that initial "oohs" and "aahs" to sell a rookie into studying before going into the industry standard stuff like Autodesk/CAD.

Blender, while being free and much more comprehensive, has a more taxing HUD and requires more dedication to use. While there have been improvements, it's still overwhelming and would likely frustrate a newbie.

edited June 2013

Ivy said:

That's not what I meant when I posted that. You're talking about not buying content at all and that supports nothing.

That is not true I never said I'm not buying content. i buy content all the time. i just buy nothing genesis, I mostly buy environments
    and clothing that I can use for both poser and daz.
    I don't buy anything genesis for the reasons above I gave you. Now if the venders had made the same product for genesis to work with v4 as well then i may have considered buying it. and I have bought clothing models that work both for genesis & v4 and because i can use v4 in poser with out having to have extra tools. to use it. and then to me that character would be a good buy to fill my run-time with a product i can use in Multiple 3d programs. and that supports the vender that support many 3D programs and not just genesis

Post edited by Ivy on
    edited December 1969

Ivy said:
    Ivy said:

That is not true I never said I'm not buying content. i buy content all the time. i just buy nothing genesis, I mostly buy environments
    I don't buy anything genesis for the reasons above I gave you. Now if the venders had made the same product for genesis to work with v4 as well then i may have considered buying it. and I have bought clothing models that work both for genesis & v4 and because i can use v4 in poser with out having to have extra tools. to use it. and then to me that character would be a good buy to fill my run-time with a product i can use in Multiple 3d programs. and that supports the vender that support many 3D programs and not just genesis

But please don't use my arguments as anti-genesis, we're not talking about the same thing. I'm talking about genesis one support.

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,570
    edited December 1969

Fauvist said:
    I'm just so tired of new products being introduced that aren't compatible with older content without having to jump through hoops to get it to work.

I have a ton of content for older figures that are most probably not compatible with V6. If there really is a huge number of people getting V6, then in a year or two they are going to be in the same position as me. Because V7 will introduced and everything for V6 will be unusable, and these newbies will have a ton of V6 content.

It's really too bad that DAZ can't seem to find a way to make new content compatible with old content and figures - without any hassles. Then everybody would be happy. People who bought $2000 worth of content for the Generation3 figures, and the people who bought Genesis, and people who buy V8.

...they came close with the original Genesis (from the point that older characters and content could be adapted to it). Unfortunately as was pointed out in a couple other threads, it wasn't a big "sales booster" for new content as people could still use their current character and clothing library with the help of a few reasonably priced (Daz original) expansions and one particular plugin.
    edited June 2013

Ivy said:
    Ivy said:

But please don't use my arguments as anti-genesis, we're not talking about the same thing. I'm talking about genesis one support.
    I'm not anti-genesis I even said I was not bashing genesis. I seen some great stuff done with genesis, I'm just not one of those people that use it. and I support those artist venders that support multiple 3d programs with the same product they want to sell for. not just the genesis figure that forces me a Daz, poser and Maya users to use tools that really never have worked for me all that well, if they do for you great your better at it than me. I choose to do things simple.

As you said"And if you want your older figures supported, you have to show that support with your wallet, not forum posts"

I say I support those Artist venders who support multiple 3d programs. Just as you said and i agreed with you. So how is that anti-genesis ( confused look)

Post edited by Ivy on
  • PendraiaPendraia Posts: 3,591
    edited December 1969

Ha!

ok...

For what it's worth, (which is, you know... nothing at all) I'll tell you what I think. I think that Genesis had to be improved. I even understand the need for separate male and female bases being that men and women tend to be varied and or complex in different places...

but to be honest, I'm just saddened to realise that even trying to keep up is going to be an exercise in futility for me, because I do not have an income that will be able to be supportive of a new "unimesh" or "base" figure every year or two...

Hi Jas, lovely to see you posting again! : )

I started off like you accepting that maybe it had to be, but having thought about it I can't understand why they couldn't create a denser mesh that could handle male and female morphs. It feels like such a huge step backwards to separate them into two figures. I love the original genesis and I would love to have some of the features in gen2 f but I want a single figure not separate figures.

I'm feeling very disappointed in the direction they have chosen to take.

Cheers

Pen

• PendraiaPendraia Posts: 3,591
    edited December 1969

Fauvist said:

I teach at a P-9 campus in Australia. We currently have I-Clone 5 and also on the school image we have blender. I-Clone gets more use because it is more user friendly. I haven't suggested they look at DS as I would be too embarrassed to show them the site due to the sexualised images.

We also have a very low poly program called Kahootz that we use. I have taught the use of Kahootz from P- 6 when I worked as an arts speciallist a few years back. Even the five year olds were able to do simple animations in it.
    The grade 3/4's use I-Clone with a green screen.

• Herald of FireHerald of Fire Posts: 3,504
    edited June 2013

Fauvist said:
    Blender is a powerful tool, but it's often counter-intuitive to use, which doesn't make it the ideal tool for teaching. Daz Studio on the other hand lets users jump straight into creating artwork and learning about how it all fits together with relatively few hassles. Blender has a much steeper learning curve, and (in my mind) a horrible UI. It also doesn't have obvious things like the Genesis figure for easy access to using humanoids in your work.

Fun learning is good learning. If you can make people enjoy their education, then it sticks with them more. By letting children or even older students play around with the software they're learning useful skills without even realising it. Skills which can be used elsewhere. Things such as lighting, materials, and composition can all be taken to other applications and implemented better with a grasp of the basics.

Fortunately, people with large V4 libraries can at least convert their clothes thanks to MallenLane's efforts in creating a clone figure for it. I think my total V4 clothing abouts to a pair of jeans and a cropped top, so it doesn't concern me much, but it's nice to see there is some good support for older content. There are still a lot of quirks such as skirts and dresses, but until they address things like ghost bones in the autofit, I think those problems are likely to persist forever.

I'll admit here and now that I'm far from impressed by the idea of a gender split figure. V6 right now just isn't morphable enough for my needs and despite that I've now figured out the quirks with the autofit, there are still a number of Genesis items which are unusable on her. Hair is especially troublesome, which basically gives me a choice of the two hairstyles with the starter bundle.

Still, if my rants have taught me anything it's that nothing will be accomplished by moaning about it. I'll just wait it out and see where it leads. If things take a turn for the better, then I'll jump on the wagon, if my fears become reality and it becomes another mess of incompatibility then Genesis may become the last Daz figure I invest in.

Post edited by Herald of Fire on
  • icprncssicprncss Posts: 3,694
    edited December 1969

Ivy said:

Not buying content for a particular figure, not buying from a particular vendor, or not buying from a particular site?

Do you feel that members should go out and buy Genesis products even if they don't use Genesis just to show support?

• larsmidnattlarsmidnatt Posts: 4,511
    edited December 1969

icprncss said:

Do you feel that members should go out and buy Genesis products even if they don't use Genesis just to show support?

Can't say I'd do it for 3D content LOL. Not that serious really.

I purchased a game "Muramasa: The Demon Blade" even though I don't own the system to play the game on. But that was an exceptional thing for me to do. I was trying to support the small game developer that still makes 2D video games, and was happy to see the game in my country.

Can't say I've ever done anything like it before or since. And I don't really play games anymore so I could care less if the whole industry went under. I'll still have my classics.

edited June 2013

As for Daz being a serious contender in the 3d media world by big company that is using 3d for what ever reason. advertizing, entertainment animation, Book and Magazine Art work. web site art work. TV etc etc...
    then my experience is that these companies will use programs like Adobe Illustrator, Photoshop. Aftereffects. or one of the Autodesk design suites. Though it would be freaking awesome if Pixar or dreamworks used daz for animation instead of mud-box and Maya because then the technology for Daz in animation would greatly improve.
    Have a great week

Post edited by Ivy on
    edited June 2013

icprncss said:
    Ivy said:

Not buying content for a particular figure, not buying from a particular vendor, or not buying from a particular site?

Like I said, I was talking about people that want their old gen 1 supported, not people that don't use it. My post was twisted in a different way, and your response to it is exactly why I objected to it being used that way. I don't want to turn this into yet another world-vs-genesis conversation.

Post edited by Male-M3dia on
    edited December 1969

icprncss said:
    Ivy said:

Like I said, I was talking about people that want their old gen 1 supported, not people that don't use it. My post was twisted in a different way, and your response to it is exactly why I objected to it being used that way. I don't want to turn this into yet another world-vs-genesis conversation.

May I suggest that next time you make a comment about using or support older content you be more clear in Exactly what older content your talking about because if anyone was to read your original post
    "Male-M3dia
    And if you want your older figures supported, you have to show that support with your wallet, not forum posts. "

it sounded like you were talking about all older content. not just gen 1
    and i hate to burst your bubble a lot of people do not support genesis for the reason I gave you above. We don't hate genesis we are not anti genesis . it just does not fit into our budget .when we have the same morphs and characters for older gen4 content. really the only thing that has changed at Daz is the file formats in which a consumer can use the genesis models. that is not anti genesis sweetheart.

let put it this way . if you had bought a ford (Cars) all your life and then they changed things that required you to buy the same features & things you already have in your older car. But they changed the the kind of gas they use in the car to a more expensive type or require you ro buy all the same stuff you already own for your older car. in order to make new tyoe car run . I guess you would stick with your older car because you can afford it, and your older car will still get you to point a to b with out having to repurchase the same stuff in a different t format.

So if a person is trying to feed a runtime for more than one 3d program then why should consumer support or buy a product they don't use? that not a anti-genesis statement that is a consumer statement for any product. sold.

Have a great week

• icprncssicprncss Posts: 3,694
    edited June 2013

Male-M3dia

I was not trying to twist it, I was trying to understand. Thank you for explaining what you meant. If it seemed like I was twisting it, I was not trying to.

I've been through every generational change DAZ has had to date. The first few weeks are always the hardest. Everyone finds something they don't like about the new figure or the old figure or even the company itself.

Some of the old archive threads from the release of V4 are very informative and much of what has been said about Genesis 1 and G2F are pretty much repeats of what's been recently.

Again, my apologies. I think if the release of G2F and V6 had come with a little advanced warning or over a longer period of time (as Genesis 1 was), things would be a bit more settled.

Post edited by icprncss on
  • JasmineSkunkJasmineSkunk Posts: 1,872
    edited December 1969

Ivy said:
    Ivy said:

Ohhhhhh.......

OK...what?!?!

See... when you said this:

I really thought you were talking about "older" figures...

OK... you aren't seriously calling Genesis(1) an "older" figure are you? Cuz, I think at least PART of the complaining has been about the fact that Genesis is not that old...

People are not hesitating about buying for Genesis because it's an "older" figure.... *shakes head*

People who have not bought into Genesis are going to... what?? Suddenly want to buy Genesis 2 just cuz it's newer??

I'm guessing no.

OK... more of my worthless opinion ahead:

People who have not bought into Genesis have many reasons for not doing it. Some are just mad at Daz. Some are just not happy with how it works in their program of choice. Some just don't want to invest into yet another line of products that may be outdated in a year... there are other reasons, too, I'm sure...

But I promise you, they don't regard Genesis as an "older figure"

It's not because the products are bad either... The PA's are doing an awesome job of trying to be supportive of the NEW figure...

if sales are not stellar it's not because people don't want to support the PA's... it's because they don't want to support Genesis.
    (See above as to why)

I don't expect that to change much with a new version.

Why?

Cuz the hope is that the "improvements" to the mesh are going to entice those who did not buy before to suddenly now want the "New... um... er... yeah... Newer" figure, is that right?

OK... um... if the customer never bought into Genesis... what would they have to compare the newer one to? I'm saying, if they didn't own the first one, they don't have anything to compare to for the newer one.

I'm guessing that those who buy/bought into V6 are those who already bought into V5 and the original Genesis, or they are brand new and just getting acquainted with Daz...

Those people who were not buying before... I don't imagine they will buy the new one either...

Advice for PA's:

Make what YOUR customers say they want... and don't worry too much about what Daz encourages and says they "would like" you to make...

after all... they are YOUR customers....

ok... end of worthless opinion....

• scorpioscorpio Posts: 8,313
    edited December 1969

Jasmine your opinions are never worthless.

• JOdelJOdel Posts: 6,252
    edited December 1969

OK... to clarify... just cuz I'm bored mostly....

I absolutely believe the claim that Daz's Victoria 6 was the most successful release to date.

Why?

Because the BRUNT of their profit doesn't come from the hobbyist market. Perhaps it once did. It no longer does. Why again? Because Daz Studio 4 was new technology that commercial business took an interest in. That means.... schools are buying hundreds, perhaps thousands, of licenses to teach Daz Studio in the classroom... Businesses are buying dozens, perhaps, hundreds of licenses to have Daz Studio on their workstations...

We just can't -- even as a group -- compete with that. Our voice is just not as weighty as that old forgotten penny...

kk... I think that's all I meant to say... sorry for interrupting...

Oh as if. *Nobody* teaches classes in a school on a program that is effectively free software. Schools only teach programs that somebody in the industry is hiring based on the knowledge of.

I would happily take a class or several in Studio if they existed. But no, the closest I could get to that was Maya.

• JasmineSkunkJasmineSkunk Posts: 1,872
    edited June 2013

JOdel.... um... keep readin'. *smiles*

Jasmine your opinions are never worthless.

...and thanks for the comradery and encouraging words, scorpio64dragon... {hugs}

Hi Jas, lovely to see you posting again! : )

I started off like you accepting that maybe it had to be, but having thought about it I can't understand why they couldn't create a denser mesh that could handle male and female morphs. It feels like such a huge step backwards to separate them into two figures. I love the original genesis and I would love to have some of the features in gen2 f but I want a single figure not separate figures.

I'm feeling very disappointed in the direction they have chosen to take.

Cheers

Pen

*Waves madly!* Hiya, Pen! :- ) {hugs}

Post edited by JasmineSkunk on