Old moldier stuff

davesodaveso Posts: 6,422

I just rendered an image using a prop from July 2004. Nearly 14 years old .. wow. THe background is call Zen ... https://www.daz3d.com/zen
It's in the PC+ now. Wasn't when I bought it. 

Comments

• AllenArtAllenArt Posts: 7,140

I think you'll find that with a few Iray textures and some tweaking, some old things make the transition rather well and some things do NOT. LOL I really need to keep a list of the things that I tried that didn't work out so well ;)

Laurie

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,560

...there are also material resources for 3DL as well.

• davesodaveso Posts: 6,422
    AllenArt said:

I think you'll find that with a few Iray textures and some tweaking, some old things make the transition rather well and some things do NOT. LOL I really need to keep a list of the things that I tried that didn't work out so well ;)

Laurie

this zen thing just seemed to work. i think .. it looks ok to me. i tried another building thing from way back after this, and it looked ok as well. 
    The hardest part i have is even trying to find the stuff in the convoluted libray system DAZ Studio uses. I dislike it a lot. why? i would rather use what I want and not be contrained to use what is available for a specific character. even the content directory seems to change depending on what is in the scene. 

• StonemasonStonemason Posts: 1,160

wow,I haven't seen that in years!  ...one of the 40 odd models I made in my first year at Daz

• Sven DullahSven Dullah Posts: 7,621

wow,I haven't seen that in years!  ...one of the 40 odd models I made in my first year at Daz

I like the product description: 2 quality textures=)

edited March 2018
    daveso said:
    AllenArt said:

Laurie

this zen thing just seemed to work. i think .. it looks ok to me. i tried another building thing from way back after this, and it looked ok as well. 
    The hardest part i have is even trying to find the stuff in the convoluted libray system DAZ Studio uses. I dislike it a lot. why? i would rather use what I want and not be contrained to use what is available for a specific character. even the content directory seems to change depending on what is in the scene. 

Oh, I didn't mean it didn't look good. Was more making a note to self to keep track of what I've had luck with and what I haven't. LOL And letting you know that not all things will look too great. I did a Luxrender image awhile back with Le Palais and it looked AWESOME. Aven at the time it was old ;).

Laurie

Post edited by AllenArt on
  • IceDragonArtIceDragonArt Posts: 12,548

A lot of the older things look great right out of the box.  And many more look great with some updating.  And then there are some that....don't.

• A lot of the older things look great right out of the box.  And many more look great with some updating.  And then there are some that....don't.

Never a truer a word. There's stuff, some wardrobe items from Gen 3 spring to mind, that are superbly modelled using advanced techniques, and in some cases even the textures still stand up, but I find, particularly, many of the props and architectural items were created with outdated modelling techniques and simply cannot be brought up-to-date. The "realism gap" makes them stand out like sore thumbs. Textures you can fix, but a poor model is irredeemable. Looking at the early work of Stonemason's though, I can see he was already ahead of the curve.

• ValandarValandar Posts: 1,417

All I know is when I look back at some of my older products, I shudder in horror...

And then there was my prescient "mascot menagerie", which predicted the Onesie craze... still makes me shudder.

• PetercatPetercat Posts: 2,315
    Valandar said:

All I know is when I look back at some of my older products, I shudder in horror...

And then there was my prescient "mascot menagerie", which predicted the Onesie craze... still makes me shudder.

Hey, I remember you! Your "Camping Gear" was my first forum complaint post!
    But you posted a reply, and I ended up thinking, "This guy's pretty cool."
    Got a bunch of your other stuff in my runtime now with zero problems.
    A lot is older props, which look good with iray textures.

• Valandar said:

Of course if you were a Herdbeast most of your catalogue would make you shudder in horror.

its  a long time ago  smiley  I've been a fan since the beginning. Always great work. 

I think I still have some of Stonemason's things from PP....there was an archway I used to use rather frequently that comes to mind ;).

Laurie

• nonesuch00nonesuch00 Posts: 17,922

I like that Zen set although I have yet to use it.

• jardinejardine Posts: 1,190

background textures were lower res, once upon a time.  cutting edge then, but times change.

drop that background a little farther away from your character, work in some camera lens/point of focus control to throw in some depth of field and background blur, and that set could look just fine.  it would also help if you dropped your contrast down somehow.  even your character and her gear would benefit if you did that.  looks to me like you might have punched that up in postwork, but who knows.  could have been your ISO settings. 

but please don't call stonemason's days-gone-by work moldy. that's neither reasonable nor kind. 

people tend to respect each other's learning curves, here.  it's a good way to be. 

j

jardine said:

background textures were lower res, once upon a time.  cutting edge then, but times change.

drop that background a little farther away from your character, work in some camera lens/point of focus control to throw in some depth of field and background blur, and that set could look just fine.  it would also help if you dropped your contrast down somehow.  even your character and her gear would benefit if you did that.  looks to me like you might have punched that up in postwork, but who knows.  could have been your ISO settings. 

but please don't call stonemason's days-gone-by work moldy. that's neither reasonable nor kind. 

people tend to respect each other's learning curves, here.  it's a good way to be. 

j

didnt mean anything disrespectful ..its a phrase" moldy oldies. "do a google search .. it comes up as a respect for classics. 

• StonemasonStonemason Posts: 1,160

lol,no it really is mouldy.Dave did well with it but all I can see are the errors in the model.artefacts coming from the bump map that are so strong the artefacts themselves have become the texture.

not to mention the dragon shape is just a rip off from I think mortal combat?

• Silent WinterSilent Winter Posts: 3,635

^Well, you're bound to be your own worst critic - if you look for the flaws, and compare them to what you can  achieve now, sure, it's dated.  But at the same time, it's held up really well and still finds a use.

40 ??!!??   *looks at the handful I've managed to make in the last year of far lower quality* .... *slinks off into the corner for a drink*  LOL

• macleanmaclean Posts: 2,438
    Valandar said:

Same here, but I've found the solution - keep on updating them. Recently, I've been picking out some older packs, updating them and adding a 2nd pack as a new release. I'm currently working on Everyday Groceries 2 (I've already completely updated the original with new geometry and textures).

The thing is, in the 'old days' (about 5 years ago), we PAs had a major preoccupation with poly count. That's no longer such an issue. Obviously, you don't want to waste resources, but higher quality geometry and textures now run on most pcs without bogging them down, so updating is definitely an option for some products.

Mind you, my products are mostly 'evergreen' - props like groceries tend not to change very much. But it may not be feasible for many PAs to keep on updating. Better just to shudder in private.

• tj_1ca9500btj_1ca9500b Posts: 2,047

Lots of older moldier stuff in the V4 sale today. 

I've had good luck using Parrotdolphin's and other clothing shaders to update the look on a few items with simpler textures, so I don't mind tinkering with the old stuff, assuming that the autofit goes well...

And there are some absolutely gorgeous outfits and lots of jewelry in that sale today...

Lots of older moldier stuff in the V4 sale today. 

I've had good luck using Parrotdolphin's and other clothing shaders to update the look on a few items with simpler textures, so I don't mind tinkering with the old stuff, assuming that the autofit goes well...

And there are some absolutely gorgeous outfits and lots of jewelry in that sale today...

i will have to take a look ... I've been avoiding v4/m4 stuff lately. 

edited March 2018

i should say, the image above is a clickfest in PSP, not the original render. 
    Think this is the original ... the textures are not as pronounced. The image above has an underlying embossed layer that creates the higher level texture bump, plus some other tweaks using NIK Color Efix Pro ... which is still free. worth the price for sure..they're real nice filters. They were just purchased from Google by DxO, so I have a feeling they will not remain free for long. 

https://www.google.com/nikcollection/

zen1.jpg
    1500 x 1875 - 2M
    Post edited by daveso on
  • WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,795
    Valandar said:

you should totally redo do those onesies with fur shaders for the later figures!