DAZ Install Manager v.1.0.1.75 Update

Comments

• SpottedKittySpottedKitty Posts: 7,232
    edited December 1969

Lori_T said:
    2. How do I ensure that the content goes where I want it to go? I thought that needed to be done in Daz Studio, which is what I did

Other way round — the installation is being done by the DIM, so if you need to change the default installation location you change the DIM settings as noted upthread. The DIM doesn't know anything about D|S, it only knows content — changing settings in D|S doesn't change the behaviour of DIM.
  • fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,565
    edited December 1969

DIM and DS are independent -- if you use a custom location, you need to tell BOTH applications to use it.

• Lori_TLori_T Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Thanks FMCMike and Spotted kitty for your help. I have got things working fine now. I Have uninstalled and reinstalled content in the right place. I am so grateful. . . . .
    The program is amazing and lightning fast so I would recommend it to anyone starting out.
    It really is an amazing program!
    I think that if you have a lot of content previously installed manually it could be difficult to get it working as well as by a clean install
    I have found in the past with manual installs that finding content in Daz studio can be a bit tricky. This way it is all in a logical place and linked.

• NoxCruorNoxCruor Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Hello all. Been here a long time, just have been off and on with DAZ, but only recently have become more serious about working on my art. I have a question using DIM...

I have litterally a ton of old old downloads from a previous account - as in V1 and V2 series. I'm redoing my content library, but I'd like to use the DIM to install them in certain locations. Is there any way to tell DIM to look in a specific location, see the installation files, and then populate the install menu window, and then finally, install the items? This would save a ton of time (over 4,000 installs).

Thanks all.

-Nox

edited December 1969

NoxCruor said:
    Hello all. Been here a long time, just have been off and on with DAZ, but only recently have become more serious about working on my art. I have a question using DIM...

I have litterally a ton of old old downloads from a previous account - as in V1 and V2 series. I'm redoing my content library, but I'd like to use the DIM to install them in certain locations. Is there any way to tell DIM to look in a specific location, see the installation files, and then populate the install menu window, and then finally, install the items? This would save a ton of time (over 4,000 installs).

Thanks all.

-Nox

DIM does not work with the old installers, but products can be sorted and specific items installed to specific locations.

edited December 1969

So this has to be done manually? I figured that :( So far I'm loving the DIM, especially since I work so much, it's nice to just click and leave while the DIM does all the downloads and installs for me.

edited December 1969

NoxCruor said:
    So this has to be done manually? I figured that :( So far I'm loving the DIM, especially since I work so much, it's nice to just click and leave while the DIM does all the downloads and installs for me.

There are several ways you could approach this. One option is to download everything first with DIM set to NOT install after downloading, then do your sorting. Alternatively, you could select batches that you want installed to a specific location, then have just those items downloaded and installed. For sorting items, there are a number of ways to thin out the list -- for example, you could type "Victoria 4" in the filter box -- not all products for Victoria 4 will have Victoria 4 in the name, but that will quickly narrow the list. Similarly, not all hair products will have Hair in the name, but a lot of them will. You can also sort by SKU number -- items for V1/V2/M1/M2 will have low numbers, so if you type Michael in the filter box and sort by SKU the M1/M2 items will be at the beginning. It would be nice if downloads were tagged with more information, like store categories or compatible figures -- hopefully that will be added.

edited December 1969

Yeah, I was more referring to the old downloads that I have that I can't tell DIM to see and install. Plus the products are so old that DIM doesn't view them as available for download. But thanks for the info!

• SpottedKittySpottedKitty Posts: 7,232
    edited December 1969

NoxCruor said:
    Plus the products are so old that DIM doesn't view them as available for download.

Not yet — there's no such thing as "too old for DIM". It's taking a while, maybe a bit longer than DAZ expected, but they're still working on converting everything in the store to the new zip/DIM format. Remember, DIM is very, very new, and when it first came out less than half of the store had been converted, it wasn't a "that's your lot, there won't be any more conversions" deal.
    edited December 1969

NoxCruor said:
    Yeah, I was more referring to the old downloads that I have that I can't tell DIM to see and install. Plus the products are so old that DIM doesn't view them as available for download. But thanks for the info!

Which old downloads are you not seeing? I've got Victoria 1, old Zygote animals, etc. in DIM.

• donewsdonews Posts: 51
    edited December 1969

Hello,

Is it possible to manage downloaded archives from others sites than daz3d.com ?

And if that is the case, how to do that ?

(I'm looking for a software like NexusModManager)

• GreenleafCatGreenleafCat Posts: 56
    edited December 1969

My PC died. After I let DIM spend weeks installing everything.

Now I've a new Win64 and I cannot get DIM to install and run. It installs and If I run it I see it in the process list but it never opens and never shows up in the list of running apps.
    It just spins the mouse circle, then that stops and I never see the DIM application.

I've successfully re-installed Bryce, Hexagon, Carrara and Studio 4.6.

I uninstalled Studio and CMS and tried reinstalling DIM, still same behavior.

It leaves no error logs.

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 96,834
    edited December 1969

Which version of Windows?

edited December 1969

Windows 7 Professional 64 bit. It came with option to "upgrade" to Windows 8, but I probably won't go there until I'm forced.
    It has an SSd C drive so came with all these dire warnings about not installing there.

I did try the DIM install on C, didn't help. I added DIM to the firewall, didn't matter. I had the firewall setup to notify if something wanted through internally otherwise I'm not sure how I would give the CMS firewall permission if that's the problem.

I can't help thinking the install location is confusing it somehow.

edited December 1969

What happens if you try running it as Administrator?

edited December 1969

So far I have

1-run as adminstrator

2- run as admin with various lower OS capability settings (someone else with what sounded like the same problem solved it by running win98/Me)

3-stopped CMS and tried (in an other thread Rob W suggested that to solve what sounded like the same problem -- the person with that instance of the problem however never posted back.)

4-turned on UAC, rebooted and said yes to let it run. someone in yet another thread seem to have a solution from that.

5-changed the directory permissions on various directories

I do notice that the 75 installer only asks one question: where to install, I see screenshots in various threads which show DIM install exe used to ask 4 questions: where to install, where to install cms, where to put data

edited July 2013

Honestly I would give up on DIM except that seems to be the only way to find out when products are updated, aside from forum rumors.
    (and I'm stubborn)

If we could sort the product library by updated files date I would give up.
    I have > 10,000 files downloaded by DIM, so roughly 5000 products.

and I know not all products are yet available through DIM and I would dearly love it if the product library would sort by that so I know what to manually download.

Edited to add, the latest thing I tried was restoring the computer to a point a couple hours after I first powered it up, after windows updates and stuff, DIM still doesn't run at that point. I just wanted to make sure it wasn't anything I'd done since then.
    So I did an undo on the restore.

I'm also not able to install the bryce 7 content exe, that gives me an error, but I posted that problem in the Bryce forum, don't know if it's at all related. That didn't work with the restore either.

Post edited by GreenleafCat on
  • JaderailJaderail Posts: 0
    edited July 2013

I do notice that the 75 installer only asks one question: where to install, I see screenshots in various threads which show DIM install exe used to ask 4 questions: where to install, where to install cms, where to put data
    This Part is DS only NOT DIM, Dim only uses its on Folder. And installs to the Folder in its Path.
    Post edited by Jaderail on
  • JaderailJaderail Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

I had A almost same Issue when 75 came out. The Update failed, my DIM then only Looked like it was opening then Nothing. I when and Did a FRESH Download of the DIM and used it. I made sure all my Caches were cleaned and got a clean full File. It installed and works just fine. Of course my Boot drive is not SSD so I'm not sure if this will help.

edited December 1969

Fixed it! You can stop looking

The clue was in the error thrown by the Bryce content installer, that it could not find "CommonDocuments"

I had tried to follow the suggestions that came with the new computer, to save the SSD and move the c:\users directories to the d: drive; they don’t move that well, windows started insisting on bits and pieces on both drives.
    So at 2 in morning I tried to fix it.

See that CommonDocuments up there? That’s a registry key in HKLM: “Common Documents”=“C:\\Users\\Public\\Documents”

In all my mucking around, I deleted that c:\Users\Public\Documents directory, I did leave one that was called c:\users\public\public documents, but that wasn't good enough.

once I added a Documents directory to c:\Users\Public, the Bryce content installed.
    and ... and… and… DIM now works.

It’s not like either the content nor DIM needs this stupid directory because I then told both of them to use the D drive.

Moral of the story, never move the user profiles.

• Lissa_xyzLissa_xyz Posts: 6,116
    edited July 2013

-ignore this-

I couldn't find the filter > installed to option initially.

With that said, is there a list of special search box functions/filters somewhere?

Post edited by Lissa_xyz on
    edited December 1969

Vaskania said:
    -ignore this-

I couldn't find the filter > installed to option initially.

With that said, is there a list of special search box functions/filters somewhere?

http://docs.daz3d.com/doku.php/public/software/install_manager/referenceguide/interface/filter_field/advanced_filtering

• Lissa_xyzLissa_xyz Posts: 6,116
    edited December 1969

Thanks!

/bookmarks that

• Consumer573Consumer573 Posts: 282
    edited December 1969

I'm a relative Newbie with this 'Download Manager'.

I just bought an older product, Shaine Hair by Lisbeth N. for V3 and SP3. When I went to download my files, there were none. It seems to be forcing me to download a 'download' exe to my machine before I can proceed.

(1) I am not going to install any files to a runtime in the machine I am downloading them to. I just want to archive the zip or exe of the product so I can download it on my graphics machine later.

Does this download manager force me to 'install' the file to a runtime location on my machine that is connected to the internet?

(2) Can you point me to an explanation of what exactly Daz is putting on my machine and what it does? Sorry, I don't have time to search forums; I just want to download my purchase so I can use it.

At the moment I am not inclined to download a download manager because I don't know what it is doing to me.

I am considering returning Shaine Hair for V3 and any future product that requires its use, especially when I purchase it without warning that I have to install an executable on my machine without knowing what the heck this thing is going to do, and when I don't feel I need it. But before I do, I would appreciate pointers to information about this new Daz requirement.

Thank you.

• srieschsriesch Posts: 4,241
    edited December 1969

I'm a relative Newbie with this 'Download Manager'.

I just bought an older product, Shaine Hair by Lisbeth N. for V3 and SP3. When I went to download my files, there were none. It seems to be forcing me to download a 'download' exe to my machine before I can proceed.

(1) I am not going to install any files to a runtime in the machine I am downloading them to. I just want to archive the zip or exe of the product so I can download it on my graphics machine later.

Does this download manager force me to 'install' the file to a runtime location on my machine that is connected to the internet?

(2) Can you point me to an explanation of what exactly Daz is putting on my machine and what it does? Sorry, I don't have time to search forums; I just want to download my purchase so I can use it.

At the moment I am not inclined to download a download manager because I don't know what it is doing to me.

I am considering returning Shaine Hair for V3 and any future product that requires its use, especially when I purchase it without warning that I have to install an executable on my machine without knowing what the heck this thing is going to do, and when I don't feel I need it. But before I do, I would appreciate pointers to information about this new Daz requirement.

Thank you.

(1) You don't have to install the product if you don't want to. You can use DIM to download it only, then manually copy it to and install it on your other machine if you want. At the bottom of the "Ready to Download" tab, uncheck the "install after download" checkbox.
    (2) I'm not sure if you are asking what the product installer does or what the DIM installer does, or something else?
    edited December 1969

(2) I'm not sure if you are asking what the product installer does or what the DIM installer does, or something else?

A combination, I guess. I didn't realize there was a product installer in addition to a download and install manager.

Regarding the DIM: Does it install DLLs? Does it modify my registry? Does it track things I download and install? If the answer is 'yes' to of those, I don't need or want it.

If DIM is stand-alone in its own directory and I can clear it off my machine later without gunking things up, like a portable app I'm willing to try it.

If the product installer is simply the old *.exe that Daz has used forever, I'm not too worried about it.

edited December 1969

If there is no green install with DIM button, then what you have is the old DAZ installer exe.
    If there is a green install with DIM button, there should also be a blue icon next to it that will let you download the zip file that DIM would use to install, it that suits you better.

edited December 1969

No, they've changed. Two of the items have the blue manual button which I used. The other two items, one of them being the Shaine hair, don't give me a choice. Green button only.

I'm inclined to return the Shaine hair because I no longer have the simple manual option.

• srieschsriesch Posts: 4,241
    edited December 1969

A combination, I guess. I didn't realize there was a product installer in addition to a download and install manager.

Regarding the DIM: Does it install DLLs? Does it modify my registry? Does it track things I download and install? If the answer is 'yes' to of those, I don't need or want it.

If DIM is stand-alone in its own directory and I can clear it off my machine later without gunking things up, like a portable app I'm willing to try it.

If the product installer is simply the old *.exe that Daz has used forever, I'm not too worried about it.

DIM is separate from your products. You can download all of your products from your product library and never use DIM if you want.
    The older product installers were .exe files, but newer products are simply zipped.
    If you choose to manually install the zips instead of letting DIM install them, note that you will have to move everything in the content folder (Runtimes, etc) up one level, and you can delete the manifest if you want (it's there for DIM to use, but if you aren't using DIM, you won't need it.)

edited December 1969

That must be some error, you really don't have to use DIM, it's not a requirement. The only time I've seen only the green button is for a bundle, where the products in the bundle had the blue buttons.
    You can return it or ask them to fix the page to allow the zip download.