NEW MAC PRO! Bout TIME

2»

Comments

• ncampncamp Posts: 345
    edited December 1969

Love to try Mac and Final Cut Pro some day.

Not sure that I can afford the MacPro, but after 30 years of being a PC user, I bought my first mac (MacBook air) over Christmas.

ncamp

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,223
    edited December 1969

ncamp said:
    Love to try Mac and Final Cut Pro some day.

Not sure that I can afford the MacPro, but after 30 years of being a PC user, I bought my first mac (MacBook air) over Christmas.

ncampThat is SO cool!!!
    Could you report your experience then... please?
    I've always been really intersted in knowing a side-by-side like/dislike between Mac and Win form an existing Win user's perspective. The only thing that has kept me from trying so far, is the fact that it is so freaking simple to have a computer built with the exact components I want - in the configuration I want, when I design it and build it myself. I'm certain that I can use part requirements by Mac OS as well... but they don't let me do that and still have access to the OS, so.... Bummer!
    But perhaps I'm over-thinking that, and I'm getting more and more interested in learning differently - one never knows, and I certainly don't feel like moving to Win 8+ (at least as of yet) on my serious box. I'm running a workstation, not a phone.

• MiloMilo Posts: 511
    edited December 1969

Has anybody gotten a new Mac Pro? It would be awesome to hear how it performs with Carrara / Daz3D.

I am getting one but the Build To Order (BTO) configurations are sold out until February!

I am thinking of getting the 3.7 Ghz Quad Core Xeon E5 with Dual Fire Pro 700s?

1. In another thread it was mentioned that DAZ Studio does not use the GPU for rendering. That does not sound right?

http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/34277/

Does DAZ Studio 4.6 even use the GPU for rendering?

2. Luxus add on Renderer... I think it uses OpenCL which I think would be a great fit for the new 2013 Mac Pro but I am not sure?

3. Not sure about Carrara? I have Carrara 8.5 beta but never upgraded to the final version...

4. I am also getting it for Final Cut Pro X and also Blender 3D. Although the Bender Cycles unbiased render engine does not work with the AMD/ATI FirePro GPUs yet? It looks like AMD and Apple are working on drivers and support in the yet unrelease of Maverics 10.9.2 OS.

You should look at Hit Film Ultimate. It is now out for Mac! a great companion sfx

• That Other PersonaThat Other Persona Posts: 381
    edited December 1969

Looks interesting. I'll check out the demo next week or so when I have a little time.

• EleleElele Posts: 1,097
    edited December 1969

What are the benefits of those Xeon processors?
    Price/power wise they seem pretty poor compared to i7's for example.

edited January 2014

According what I have read, the Xeons are designed to take a heavy load for a long period of time, whereas the i7 is good for shorter bursts. So, you could get a MP and work it 24/7 and it would be fine. The new MP is also designed as a super cooling system, so heat management is awesome. I saw somewhere that somebody set a render that pegged the CPUs at almost 100% for eight hours and the machine stayed silent. My Mac mini whistles louder than a tea kettle after just a few minutes (I also have an iMac that is much quieter).

Also, Apple is taking a big gamble with this design: they are hoping that developers will embrace the dual GPU arrangement
    and rework their apps to use the GPUs, like Apple did with Final Cut Pro X. It is really fast on the new machines (especially the more expensive ones).

I know of one 3D app where the developer is on record as saying he will have his app use the GPUs by the end of the year.

We can only hope that Daz will follow suit. That would give us an awesome platform.

Post edited by That Other Persona on
  • Curved DesignCurved Design Posts: 61
    edited December 1969

According what I have read, the Xeons are designed to take a heavy load for a long period of time, whereas the i7 is good for shorter bursts. So, you could get a MP and work it 24/7 and it would be fine. The new MP is also designed as a super cooling system, so heat management is awesome. I saw somewhere that somebody set a render that pegged the CPUs at almost 100% for eight hours and the machine stayed silent. My Mac mini whistles louder than a tea kettle after just a few minutes (I also have an iMac that is much quieter).

Also, Apple is taking a big gamble with this design: they are hoping that developers will embrace the dual GPU arrangement
    and rework their apps to use the GPUs, like Apple did with Final Cut Pro X. It is really fast on the new machines (especially the more expensive ones).

I know of one 3D app where the developer is on record as saying he will have his app use the GPUs by the end of the year.

We can only hope that Daz will follow suit. That would give us an awesome platform.

'

Wow, the shipping date for the Mac Pro 2013 has moved from February to March! There must be a big demand for the beast? I guess that gives me more time to save money and find out more about the FirePro D300, D500, D700 GPUs and OpenCL!

• JamyJamy Posts: 192
    edited December 1969

'

Wow, the shipping date for the Mac Pro 2013 has moved from February to March! There must be a big demand for the beast? I guess that gives me more time to save money and find out more about the FirePro D300, D500, D700 GPUs and OpenCL!

:( waiting for my new mac since december !

Mac Pro Hexacoeur à 3,5 GHz avec 12 Mo de cache N3
    • 16 Go (4 x 4 Go) de mémoire ECC DDR3 à 1 866 MHz
    • 512 Go de stockage flash PCIe
    • Deux processeurs graphiques AMD FirePro D700 avec 6 Go de
    VRAM GDDR5

very eager to test Carrara on it !

edited December 1969

Hope you get yours soon! We would love to hear how it performs!

Pixelmator got an update today that has many MacPro specific enhancements, including dual GPU support. I have no idea how long they had access to the new iMacs, but nobody had one before last summer at the very earliest, so it is obviously possible to reprogram rather quickly.

Just adds more hope that Daz will leverage the GPUs soon!