DAZ Monster and Creature Render Contest

Comments

• RarethRareth Posts: 1,458
    edited December 1969

Figures used: Genesis and Genesis Troll Supersuit and textures.
    Title: Big Trouble
    Software used Daz Studio 4.6
    additional notes, Sci-Fi room from Poser 9 used.

Big-Trouble2.jpg
    800 x 800 - 337K
  • GreybroGreybro Posts: 2,476
    edited June 2013

Title: Hell's Angels
    Figure: Genesis,
    Used: Undead Fiend, Genesis Creature Creator, Zombie for Genesis and M4
    Additional Figure: Lava Planet by Stonemason & the HellFire prop.
    Software used: DAZ Studio 4.6 Pro , Reality 2, Photoshop for minor curves adjustments & compositing flame & smoke layers.

HellsAngel_Final-Entry.jpg
    800 x 800 - 86K
    Post edited by Greybro on
  • peteVaultpeteVault Posts: 308
    edited December 1969

Oorg couldn't resist the opportunity to photobomb the model shoot..

Rendered in DazStudio 4.6 Pro using DimensionTheory's HDR ProSet.

Org_Photobombs.jpg
    800 x 700 - 282K
  • MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675
    edited December 1969

tee hee old creeper likes a brewskie in his lazy-boy chair http://www.daz3d.com/creeper-pose-pack

• LimneryLimnery Posts: 126
    edited July 2013

Figures Used: Night World Fallen; Nybras; Genesis with Creature Creator morphs, RawArt's Oagre skin, and Dental Plan

Image Title: Felled

Software Used: DAZ Studio 4.6, Photoshop CS6 (sharpening, contrast, jpeg compression)

(Edited on 7/13/2013 to update image with some last fixes and to include added resources in list. And change title from "Fallen" to "Felled.")

cuisle_felled.jpg
    800 x 800 - 369K
    Post edited by Limnery on
  • SzarkSzark Posts: 10,634
    edited December 1969

pete.c44 said:
    Oorg couldn't resist the opportunity to photobomb the model shoot..

Rendered in DazStudio 4.6 Pro using DimensionTheory's HDR ProSet.

ROFLOL Great image there pete
  • JesterVIIJesterVII Posts: 175
    edited June 2013

Title:Demon
    Figure: Genesis set to Justin
    Morphs: Raws Demon, Reptilian
    Props: Popobawa Wings and Tail. Sabbatic Goat Fur and Horns Also used the Yellow glow eye mats. Smays Fire (for effect).
    Software Used: Daz4.6
    No Post work

Question once we post the image here may we post a larger version of it some where else?

Demon.jpg
    800 x 390 - 64K
    Post edited by JesterVII on
  • frank0314frank0314 Posts: 13,358
    edited December 1969

Reminder: Today is the last day for submission.

edited December 1969

OK, disregard that last post. I'm going to extend the contest until July15 at Midnight DAZ time. This will give everyone to make any touch-ups they would like and give a little more time to those who wanted to enter but just couldn't get it done in time. I'll update the first page to reflect the new date.

• cecilia.robinsoncecilia.robinson Posts: 2,208
    edited December 1969

Frank0314 said:
    OK, disregard that last post. I'm going to extend the contest until July15 at Midnight DAZ time. This will give everyone to make any touch-ups they would like and give a little more time to those who wanted to enter but just couldn't get it done in time. I'll update the first page to reflect the new date.

Thank you so much! I'd love to enter, but I was sure I'd not get there on time (I found this contest very lately and I've already been submitting to Genesis Custom-Dialed Character Contest). I have a question though. I don't have any monsters; can I post a render which is scary, but has a Genesis character I sculpted myself please? I have something psychodelic in mind, but it's nothing with eight-or-more limbs, big teeth or whatever. I hope for a quick response, thank you in advance :).

• PulpArtstPulpArtst Posts: 88
    edited December 1969

Figure: Skullcrusher Ogre
    Image Title: Ogre-in-dungeon.jpg
    Software: Daz3d, Luxus/LuxRender/PhotoShop

The only post work done was to add the specular to his eyes and make his teeth a bit uglier.

Ogre-in-dungeon.jpg
    800 x 800 - 154K
  • AethyrAethyr Posts: 91
    edited December 1969

Figure: Sasquatch
    Title: Guardian of Shambhala
    Software: DS4.6, CameraBag2, GIMP, PS Elements

I saw this contest just a couple of days ago, and definitely wanted to make an entry to it -- I love using monstrous characters in my renders. I do a fair bit of werewolf art, but didn't want to fall back on a staple, so I was a bit stuck for an idea. Then I came across the yeti-like creatures in Uncharted 2: Among Thieves, and that seemed perfect -- so I did my best to create something similar in Daz Studio.

This was the first time I tried out the new Subsurface Shader, and I also used the Garibaldi Hair System for the fur. The figure's based on RawArt's Sasquatch, with some custom morphs. His helmet's meant to be a dark kind of stone rather than metallic, but -- until I realised the deadline had been extended -- I didn't think I had time to try and fix it, and it looks good enough. I used a few other shaders too; DLD's Stone shader provided the helmet, pwEffect (I think) for the claws on his hands and feet, and Furify made for a good result on the loincloth and footwraps (and, thankfully, has stopped crashing DS...)

The biggest frustration is that the snow is all washed out, despite my best efforts, and looks almost completely white on the image. I couldn't seem find a straightforward way to fix this either in Studio or in postwork. In any case, I hope folks like my entry :)

Guardian-of-Shambhala_daz.png
    600 x 800 - 554K
  • ben98120000ben98120000 Posts: 469
    edited July 2013

1. Figure used: Genesis
    2. Image Title: "Scent"
    3. Software: Daz Studio 4.6

Scent_5.jpg
    800 x 800 - 365K
    Post edited by ben98120000 on
    edited December 1969

Updated sponsor list is up. We had a couple additions.

edited December 1969

Since nobody responded, I'm renewing my question. I don’t have any monsters; can I post a render which is scary, but has a Genesis character I sculpted myself please? I have something psychodelic in mind, but it’s nothing with eight-or-more limbs, big teeth or whatever. I hope for a quick response, thank you in advance smile.

edited December 1969

The idea behind this contest is to use a monster or creator DAZ 3D or a PA has made. I'm sorry but that wouldn't be allowed

edited December 1969

So why do you write that "any Genesis/Generation 4 creature/any other DAZ scary-looking figure you can come up with" is allowed? Sorry, but that's confusing. Isn't a ghost scary/otherworldly/creepy? I don't use Zbrush of whatever, I work with DAZ-made dials - different resource kits, Evolution Bundle, Creature Creator. I appreciate a straightforward response, thanks.

• FirstBastionFirstBastion Posts: 7,317
    edited July 2013

These are the rules from the first post:

We are gonna run a DAZ Monster/Creature contest to see who can render the best scary scene with one of the following DAZ characters.

You may use:
    1. Fiend
    2. Skullcrusher Ogre
    3. Infernal Behemoth
    4. Any Genesis Creature
    5. Any Generation 4 monster/creature
    6. or Any other DAZ scary looking figure you can come up with

As a sponsor of the contest, I don't see how a Genesis based, dial spun creature would not be allowed. I'm also looking for clarification.

Post edited by FirstBastion on
  • JoeQuickJoeQuick Posts: 1,698
    edited July 2013

We are gonna run a DAZ Monster/Creature contest to see who can render the best scary scene with one of the following DAZ characters.

You may use:
    1. Fiend
    2. Skullcrusher Ogre
    3. Infernal Behemoth
    4. Any Genesis Creature

As a sponsor of the contest, I don't see how a Genesis based, dial spun creature would not be allowed. I'm also looking for clarification.

The poster, when asking their question, originally defined their character as "sculpted", something they had made themselves. They've since come to redefine sculpting as spinning dials. So it would seem to be the poster's own inability to clearly express themselves which has lead to some confusion.

Post edited by JoeQuick on
  • TJohnTJohn Posts: 11,010
    edited July 2013

Since nobody responded, I'm renewing my question. I don’t have any monsters; can I post a render which is scary, but has a Genesis character I sculpted myself please? I have something psychodelic in mind, but it’s nothing with eight-or-more limbs, big teeth or whatever. I hope for a quick response, thank you in advance smile.

I think they're saying that a spun-dialed scary genesis thing is OK.
    So you're in compliance with rule 6.
    That would be a yes.
    Correct me if I'm wrong, y'all. : )
    Post edited by TJohn on
    edited December 1969

I do hope you're right, Tjohn. That would be a pity indeed if it turned out they didn't understand me straightaway, that's why I asked again. In my humble opinion - correct me if I'm wrong - that quite a lot of artists here refer to modelling from dials as sculpting. It seemed quite obvious to me, since it's contest's aim to promote DAZ stuff, that we won't bring in models from Maya or 3DS Max, let's say.

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

A lot of people do actually sculpt their own morphs using things like z brush.

However you do mention having Creature creator, and that I do believe is mentioned in the first post, so if your creature or monster was created using those morphs in part, then you should be fine.

• SzarkSzark Posts: 10,634
    edited December 1969

I do hope you're right, Tjohn. That would be a pity indeed if it turned out they didn't understand me straightaway, that's why I asked again. In my humble opinion - correct me if I'm wrong - that quite a lot of artists here refer to modelling from dials as sculpting. It seemed quite obvious to me, since it's contest's aim to promote DAZ stuff, that we won't bring in models from Maya or 3DS Max, let's say.
    To be fair when I saw the term sculpting I thought you were dabbling in morph making. I haven't seen that many people refer to spinning dials as sculpting to be honest. Anyway we have sliders in Daz Studio not dials. LOL

So no harm done, we are all on the same page now so go forth and create a scary monster and have some fun. :- P

edited December 1969

Joequick said:

You may use:
    1. Fiend
    2. Skullcrusher Ogre
    3. Infernal Behemoth
    4. Any Genesis Creature

The poster, when asking their question, originally defined their character as "sculpted", something they had made themselves. They've since come to redefine sculpting as spinning dials. So it would seem to be the poster's own inability to clearly express themselves which has lead to some confusion.

Correct that is what confused me. In which case then the image would be allowed.

edited December 1969

cecilia.robinson, sorry for the confusion on my part. You may enter your image in this contest.

edited December 1969

Thank you a lot, I appreciate that. Sorry for the confusion, I'm afraid I dabble too much in custom-dialed characters these days :D.

• Scott LivingstonScott Livingston Posts: 4,331
    edited December 1969

Thank you a lot, I appreciate that. Sorry for the confusion, I'm afraid I dabble too much in custom-dialed characters these days :D.

Nothing wrong with that... (wink) Can't wait to see what you come up with for this one.
    edited December 1969

Looking forward to it.

• LycanthropeXLycanthropeX Posts: 2,287
    edited December 1969

are we allowed to paint our own custom textures?

• edited July 2013

Title: Red Moon Werewolf

DAZ Character used: Lycaon the Werewolf

Flipmode: Easy Environments Greenlands
    Rons Fog, Smoke
    Pants from smay, Mr Hyde

Software used:
    DAZ Studio 4.6 Pro
    Photoshop

Red-Moon-Werewolf-fin.jpg
    800 x 800 - 112K
    Post edited by [email protected] on