What features would you like to see appear in dazstudio 5?

Comments

• A built in dynamic cloth system would be nice, but I would also like to see:

Vertex snapping for objects in the scene

Proxy objects for duplicates of high poly meshes

• L'AdairL'Adair Posts: 9,479
    edited September 2015
    1. Under Surfaces > Presets, I'd like to see the "top level" be 3Delight and Iray, rather than have all the 3Delight presets showing with Iray on a sub-level.
    2. A 3Delight equivalent of the Iray Uber Base, so we have a one click solution to go back to 3Delight.
    3. The ability to select multiple items in the Scene tab and toggle visibility for all selected at once. (As someone mentioned upthread, you can group things and hide the group. But there are times when I want to hide things I cannot group, (i.e. all the bones of one arm,) or things I do not want to group, (i.e. clothing items already parented to the figure.)
    4. An eyebrow zone for figures in the Surfaces > Editor just as there are for Lips and Nostrils. This would allow PAs to provide multiple eyebrow options without having to duplicate the face mats. These could be different shaped brows, but I think a lot of us would just like to give our blonde and redhead characters lighter eyebrows, and having this as a zone would make it easy for PAs to provide those alternate colored brows.
    Post edited by L'Adair on
  • - I would like the ability to turn conforming clothes into dynamic with one click.

- Cinema 4D plugin to export scenes

- The surface of the models are too soft to create distinct looking characters [unless you're a professional Zbrush artist], so many today look alike, more detailed models and morphs.

• 1_a pull brush to fix poke threws

2_Matcaps

• AN AUTOSAVE OPTION!!! 

just that!! an AUTOSAVE OPTION!, PLEASE!!! 

• I'd like to see some updates for 3delight .. Improved shaders would be awesome. I know TPTB seems sold on IRAY, but I like what 3delight can do.

Still would like the ability to categorize from within DIM. Designating a storage location for content, such as Hair X, goes in Y folder, would be great. Especailly if something happens to the database.

Way to maximize morphs so they don't always load. Morphs are a drain on load time, and while I love them, I don't always need them with each character.

• I wonder if deleting a item deletes all the content included on that item or I'm just deleting an icon.

if not, I would like a feature of a full delete of content just selecting the item on the Figure Menu.

• I wonder if deleting a item deletes all the content included on that item or I'm just deleting an icon.

Depends what you mean by "all the content". Figure and prop scene files include links to all the textures, and object mesh and object morph data files that make up the item. Texture presets only have links to the texture files. Shaders, lights, etc. can include links to actual shader code that gets executed during the render. I think only pose presets are completely standalone with no external files needed.

if not, I would like a feature of a full delete of content just selecting the item on the Figure Menu.

Very, extremely, amazingly, horribly dangerous. What if the item you want to delete uses texture or data files also used by another item somewhere else in your content? Deleting the item you want to get rid of now will cripple that other item. I suppose it should be possible to extend the CMS database system to include links backwards from every external file to the content file that needs it, to ensure only about-to-be-orphaned files are deleted, but that would be just one more thing gobbling up your computer's system resources. The database falls over enough all on its own right now, it doesn't need another completely new function adding to the clutter. The ability of DIM to uninstall a complete content package is the closest I think we need to come to this option.

• KhoryKhory Posts: 3,854

I wonder if deleting a item deletes all the content included on that item or I'm just deleting an icon.

That is already a feature of DIM.

• Very, extremely, amazingly, horribly dangerous. What if the item you want to delete uses texture or data files also used by another item somewhere else in your content? Deleting the item you want to get rid of now will cripple that other item. I suppose it should be possible to extend the CMS database system to include links backwards from every external file to the content file that needs it, to ensure only about-to-be-orphaned files are deleted, but that would be just one more thing gobbling up your computer's system resources. The database falls over enough all on its own right now, it doesn't need another completely new function adding to the clutter. The ability of DIM to uninstall a complete content package is the closest I think we need to come to this option.

If I want to delete something is because I know I'm not needing it!

I have a ton of freebies that I need to delete, searching the paths of all their context files is a nightmare.

that's why

• Khory said:

I wonder if deleting a item deletes all the content included on that item or I'm just deleting an icon.

That is already a feature of DIM.

ok

• RAMWolffRAMWolff Posts: 10,146
    RorrKonn said:

1_a pull brush to fix poke threws

2_Matcaps

Let's just go beyond a pull brush, how about full sculpting tools with options to save them as morph targets and yeh, make creating JCM's very easy too!  Love to have tools like that native to DS!  Hell, I'll wait for dynamics but give me those kinda tools and I'll be a happy clam! 

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,561
    edited September 2015

...fixing the "brickyard" in the Shader Mixer so 3DL tools like the Graphic Art Cameras, Atmospheric Cameras, and Flagging SSS surfaces with the Advanced Lights work as advertised. Iray is cool & all, but for some styles 3DL just works better. These tools have been broken since ver 4.7 and it shouldn't be up to us the end users to try and figure out how to "un-break" them.

Post edited by kyoto kid on
  • nicsttnicstt Posts: 11,714
    L'Adair said:

4. An eyebrow zone for figures in the Surfaces > Editor just as there are for Lips and Nostrils. This would allow PAs to provide multiple eyebrow options without having to duplicate the face mats. These could be different shaped brows, but I think a lot of us would just like to give our blonde and redhead characters lighter eyebrows, and having this as a zone would make it easy for PAs to provide those alternate colored brows.

+10000000.

Yes, I really like this one.wink

I've said it before, but: dynamics. Preferably to convert conforming to dynamics. Otherwise look at improving the existing feature. Maybe make it so there isn't only one vendor able to produce products due to the cost of the software.

Dynamics for hair.

Better hair/particle hair perhaps.

Blender bridge.

• Testing6790Testing6790 Posts: 1,091

I wonder how many more years of a resounding demand for physics / built in dynamics it will take before we see if even addressed.

Aside from those, having node based collisions / multiple collision targets would be nice.

• IceDragonArtIceDragonArt Posts: 12,548
    Gedd said:

Better content management. DS has a unique position of being the best content manager for 3d on the market if they could clean it up. Expanded interaction with different file formats, import/export would be nice but not top on the list as DAE would be my focus. Better integration with alternate render engines. Separate areas for Poser, DAZ native, DAE content in the tree rather than the mixed bag it is atm. File structures should remain clean and true to it's base format imo, with catagories and smart content allowing cross format search and organization. Also would prefer a file format base that kept all parts of an item together, textures, meshes, lights, poses* etc... with a 'template' area for things like light/camera/pose* setups.

* I include poses because they break often when changing characters, not badly but enough that base poses are best for 'templates' with specific poses saved with a character.

Along this line, would like the interface to encourage saving of full characters with clothing sets, poses. Also, it would be nice if the interface encouraged saving 'sites' complete with lighting, cameras.

When I mention 'encourage' it refers to the fact that design can strongly direct how people interact with an environment. While many people do save characters/sites the way I mention, and the current design doesn't preclude this (in fact it is very flexible this way) it doesn't do anything to encourage this practice atm.

I believe 4.5 addressed the issue of better optimizing character load so a saved char didn't load all morphs possible? It would be nice to 'bake' a char once it's the way someone wants it.

Site management, it would be nice to be able to set up complex sites with some type of proxies, turning on/off full detail parts, the proxies ignored during render (not passed to the renderer.) Along this line, it would be nice to be able to define a low poly/detail proxy for a model for this swap feature so that modelers could at their option provide low/highs in a way DAZ would recognize them as such.

What he said!

• TaozTaoz Posts: 9,724
    edited October 2015

I'd like to see search include folder names - currently (AFAICS) it only includes file names, so if a product doesn't have its name included in the filenames which is common, search can't find it.

Post edited by Taoz on
    Taozen said:

I'd like to see search include folder names - currently (AFAICS) it only includes file names, so if a product doesn't have its name included in the filenames which is common, search can't find it.

+1

Or take it a step further and include keywords...

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,565
    L'Adair said:
    Taozen said:

+1

If you search by database rather than filename it does include keywords.

L'Adair said:
    Taozen said:

+1

Is this in the Content Library? (I've only been at this 12+ months. Still much to learn.)

• macleanmaclean Posts: 2,438
    edited October 2015
    L'Adair said:
    1. A 3Delight equivalent of the Iray Uber Base, so we have a one click solution to go back to 3Delight.

Do what I do. Make your own MATs and put them on a toolbar. Applying a 3DL preset to an Iray material removes all the Iray channels and gives you the basic 3DL channels.

One of my custom toolbars is nothing but 3DL material presets - MAT 0 (White Diffuse + all default settings), plus a number of Spec/Glossiness settings I use frequently. I also put the Iray Uber Base on the same toolbar, so all my presets are in one place.

mac

PS. If you don't know how to create custom actions on a toolbar, yell and I'll do a step by step. It's very easy.

Post edited by maclean on
  • fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,565
    L'Adair said:
    L'Adair said:
    Taozen said:

+1

Is this in the Content Library? (I've only been at this 12+ months. Still much to learn.)

Yes, to the right of the search bar is a pull-down to switch between filename and database mode.

• Oso3DOso3D Posts: 14,886

You know what I'd like?

If I open a scene, I'd like it to remember that when I save instead of prompting me for a file name.

If I open a scene, I'd like it to remember where so not only do I have to save a new/overwrite file, I have to re-navigate to the folder I WAS JUST ON.

I mean, seriously, this is basic filesystem UI.

• marblemarble Posts: 7,449

How about a Blender Bridge?

ZBrush is too expensive for most hobbyists and Hexagon is a crash zone. Besides, Blender has so many features that would extend the capabilities of scenes created in DS. 

• JeremyDJeremyD Posts: 265
    marble said:

ZBrush is too expensive for most hobbyists and Hexagon is a crash zone. Besides, Blender has so many features that would extend the capabilities of scenes created in DS. 

+1 

As someone that's learning Blender and Daz Studio at the same time I woud love for these programs to talk to each other.

• I said it before, I'll say it again: The ability to color code individual items (and groups) in the Scene Tab.

Also, the ability to color code by item type: Make characters pink, lights white, props gray, etc. Or something like that. And, of course, the ability to override those colors and set my own, even for a single prop or sub-item.

And dynamic cloth.

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,561
    marble said:

...as I understand, Hexagon is undergoing an update.  For many in the Daz community, Blender is too incomprehensible and cumbersome.

Personally, I'd rather see a bridge to Marvellous Designer which would effectively give Daz a "user defined " cloth dynamics system.

• JeremyD said:
    marble said:

+1 

As someone that's learning Blender and Daz Studio at the same time I woud love for these programs to talk to each other.

Blender is Open Source and DS's SDK is freely available.  The capability is just your keyboard away.

• TaozTaoz Posts: 9,724
    kyoto kid said:

...as I understand, Hexagon is undergoing an update. 

Really? Would be happy to pay up to $100 for a stable 64 bit upgrade.

• MKeyesMKeyes Posts: 466

? Has anyone mentioned that it would be nice for the same kind of displacement and materials for Poser, be able to work in Daz Studio as well? Probably has mentioned this, but I thought to toss it in again just in case. Perfect example of what can't work in Daz Studio that does in Poser... Fabiana's line of exquisite content.

https://www.renderosity.com/mod/bcs/artissane-bangles/95562/

and this one...

https://www.renderosity.com/mod/bcs/even-glow-jewels/107388/

and this one...

https://www.renderosity.com/mod/bcs/sagebabylon--expansion/74703/

I am in love with this Ladies products, all that she does is a stunning work of art. BUT - if we want the FULL sweetness of what makes her content so special, we must use Poser. And I have Poser and forced myself to use it for just that reason, HER products. 

This would be nice for Daz Studio 5 - just saying... wink