Star Trek Builders Unite 4 : In a Runtime Darkly!

Comments

• patience55patience55 Posts: 7,006
    edited December 1969

mdbruffy said:
    When used in the Sickbay, can anybody tell me 'what' this item was called?

What I'm looking for theoretically was called a "cryogenic storage unit" and fits a long narrow rectangular space in the hallway corridor. If this isn't it, anybody have an image for what it would be?

Thanks.

In ST;TNG, This is in the transporter room- just to the right of the platform. All the circutry and isoliner chips are located here.

Okay thank you.
    If it was for circs and isos then it's hardly likely it was also for cryogenics. I looked for pics of 'anything' that would be used for such storage [even in the real world] and every thing looks more like a solid body bag than anything that could fit into a narrow rectangular space. Time for the fiction part I guess lol ...

• mdbruffymdbruffy Posts: 2,345
    edited December 1969

mdbruffy said:

What I'm looking for theoretically was called a "cryogenic storage unit" and fits a long narrow rectangular space in the hallway corridor. If this isn't it, anybody have an image for what it would be?

Thanks.

In ST;TNG, This is in the transporter room- just to the right of the platform. All the circutry and isoliner chips are located here.

Okay thank you.
    If it was for circs and isos then it's hardly likely it was also for cryogenics. I looked for pics of 'anything' that would be used for such storage [even in the real world] and every thing looks more like a solid body bag than anything that could fit into a narrow rectangular space. Time for the fiction part I guess lol ...

See if there's anything in this that might help:

http://www.google.com/search?q=cryogenic+suspension-+images&rls=com.microsoft:en-us:IE-SearchBox&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&sourceid=ie7&rlz=1I7GGLL_en

• edited December 1969

Rduda said:
    bluto said:
    Richard , at one time you said you were going to take a crack at trying to build this , any progress?

No I never got far on the ship, I just couldn't get the saucer and hull even close using Hexagon, bridges are more in my skill range, sorry :(

Bridge 14 now available: http://www.vanishingpoint.biz/productdetail.asp?productID=2456

Very nice! There goes more of my money when my next paycheck comes in.... LOL

Out of curiosity...weren't you working on another engineering set?

• patience55patience55 Posts: 7,006
    edited December 1969

mdbruffy said:
    mdbruffy said:

Thanks.

Okay thank you.

http://www.google.com/search?q=cryogenic+suspension-+images&rls=com.microsoft:en-us:IE-SearchBox&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&sourceid=ie7&rlz=1I7GGLL_en

Thank you. That had some better results than my attempts the other night. One image led to another, etc ... and I now have a small selection of image ideas to work with. Think I'll go with a closed view type thing, like an upright freezer with window about the face area.

• gmd3dgmd3d Posts: 18
    edited July 2013

I downloaded one of the bridges from 3DG and changed the colors of the bridge. this is it without textures and one with.... but textures where never a strong point for me.

I forget to add, if your interested in this minor updated one.... PM me and I will send it to you.

Note I only altered the surface setting to change the colors. no addition modeling has been done to it.

Klingon.jpg
    1600 x 1011 - 261K
    Klingon_no_tex.jpg
    1600 x 1011 - 226K
    Post edited by gmd3d on
  • PDSmithPDSmith Posts: 712
    edited December 1969

Nice looking set and retexture. As I've learned in the five years of this hobby. We all have to start someplace. But what you did looks great.
    -Paul

edited December 1969

~~~ DAZ Studio Users Question ~~~

As many of you have noticed I use Rduda's sets often! (18 of 36 pages in the next MU novel takes place on the TNG bridge!)

But there is a problem, and it's either me and I'm big enough to admit it, but do any of the other DAZ Studio users have problems with any of the bridges, engineering, ready room, conference room, jail, transporter room, or medial DOORS?

Not his freebie sets, those miraculously work.

The reason I ask is upon reading the readme file of the sets and from Rduda himself, someone other than him is packageing up the sets with obscure and incompatable doors for DAZ Studio. I've asked about this and he's pointed out I'm the only one complaining.

So, I'm asking is it my DAZ Studio setup? I do my renders on two different computers and have troubles on both systems (but then both are pretty much mirror images of each other.)

I'll be the first to acknowledge there is a huge red POSER written on the site's sales page. I have some personal feeling on that but that is beside the point.

(Stay on target!)

I want to know if any other DAZ Studio user is haveing problems with the doors?

If not PLEASE tell or show me how you made them work (ie slide side to side.) If you're able to help me out of this Cranal-Anal inversion I'll put a massive credit to you in the next book to helping me. (I know it's a meager consolation prize but it's the best I can do.)

-Paul

• TimbalesTimbales Posts: 2,251
    edited December 1969

PDSmith said:

As many of you have noticed I use Rduda's sets often! (18 of 36 pages in the next MU novel takes place on the TNG bridge!)

But there is a problem, and it's either me and I'm big enough to admit it, but do any of the other DAZ Studio users have problems with any of the bridges, engineering, ready room, conference room, jail, transporter room, or medial DOORS?

The reason I ask is upon reading the readme file of the sets and from Rduda himself, someone other than him is packageing up the sets with obscure and incompatable doors for DAZ Studio. I've asked about this and he's pointed out I'm the only one complaining.

So, I'm asking is it my DAZ Studio setup? I do my renders on two different computers and have troubles on both systems (but then both are pretty much mirror images of each other.)

I'll be the first to acknowledge there is a huge red POSER written on the site's sales page. I have some personal feeling on that but that is beside the point.

(Stay on target!)

If not PLEASE tell or show me how you made them work (ie slide side to side.) If you're able to help me out of this Cranal-Anal inversion I'll put a massive credit to you in the next book to helping me. (I know it's a meager consolation prize but it's the best I can do.)

-Paul

I've had the same problem, but I've never really worked to try and fix it.

edited December 1969

This is not Star Trek Canon, but I think it fits. Have you ever seen the Futuro House? It was a created by a Finnish designer in the late 60's. Less than 100 were manufactured. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Futuro

I could totally see this as part of the TOS Trek universe, or even TNG with some updates, as a civilian planet-side residence or luxury cabin as part of a ship.

futurohome3.jpg
    640 x 385 - 124K
    futurohome2.jpg
    700 x 561 - 77K
    futurohome1.jpg
    800 x 533 - 89K
    futurohomeblueprint.jpg
    800 x 799 - 192K
  • ncampncamp Posts: 345
    edited December 1969

I saw on of those on Pensacola Beach, FL.

http://www.roadsideamerica.com/tip/2825

ncamp

• GRFK DSGN UnlimitedGRFK DSGN Unlimited Posts: 1,047
    edited December 1969

We have something here that is similar in design that sits near the base of Signal Mountain. I dont know how many times the place has changed hands. It always seems to be up for sale at one time or another.

David

• wolfgang_1wolfgang_1 Posts: 0
    edited December 1969
    isolinear_chip_and_rod_by_sailmaster_seion.jpg
    786 x 1017 - 115K
  • RarethRareth Posts: 1,458
    edited July 2013

mdbruffy said:
    mdbruffy said:

Thanks.

Okay thank you.

Thank you. That had some better results than my attempts the other night. One image led to another, etc ... and I now have a small selection of image ideas to work with. Think I'll go with a closed view type thing, like an upright freezer with window about the face area.

The ones used in Space Seed (TOS) were built into the walls you can find a shot of them here if you scroll down the page a bit, they compare space seed with Star Trek into darkness

the link would help
    http://trekmovie.com/2012/12/17/shot-by-shot-analysis-of-star-trek-into-darkness-teaser-trailer/

Post edited by Rareth on
  • shadowhawk1shadowhawk1 Posts: 2,186
    edited December 1969

Posted in the Props section in the first post.

edited December 1969

TimG said:
    This is not Star Trek Canon, but I think it fits. Have you ever seen the Futuro House? It was a created by a Finnish designer in the late 60's. Less than 100 were manufactured. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Futuro

I could totally see this as part of the TOS Trek universe, or even TNG with some updates, as a civilian planet-side residence or luxury cabin as part of a ship.

Is it me or is that a shag carpet around the fireplace?

The Ship Safety Officer in me is screaming FIRE SUPPRESION!

edited December 1969

PDSmith said:
    TimG said:

The Ship Safety Officer in me is screaming FIRE SUPPRESION!

It reminds me more of one of those under water living habitats you would see on a Jacques Cousteau documentary. As far as fire suppression if you look at the flames they appear to have a forced air exhaust sucking the smoke and flames upward but you do have a point a ring of tile would be a good idea.

edited December 1969

PDSmith said:

yeah baby

sticker,375x360.png
    375 x 360 - 95K
    edited July 2013

TimG said:
    PDSmith said:

yeah baby

Why am I suddenly looking around for peek-a-boo teddy clad Fembots?

Post edited by shadowhawk1 on
    edited December 1969

TimG said:
    PDSmith said:

yeah baby

I believe in this forum they are called Golem's.

• RarethRareth Posts: 1,458
    edited December 1969

TimG said:
    PDSmith said:

yeah baby

well its not wearing a peek-a-boo

fembot.jpg
    800 x 800 - 98K
  • GRFK DSGN UnlimitedGRFK DSGN Unlimited Posts: 1,047
    edited December 1969

And I guess they would have phasers instead of machine guns in their breasts? LOL

• blutobluto Posts: 828
    edited December 1969

so there I was thinking that I would get to know a bit more about daz studio, I downloaded the latest version and started the process of getting it on my computer . apon startupi get an error message that says it cant find genesis , file does not exist .

wtf I thought genesis was part of the content that comes with daz studio?

im no expert so if anyone knows what is going on with this please let me know

edited December 1969

bluto said:
    so there I was thinking that I would get to know a bit more about daz studio, I downloaded the latest version and started the process of getting it on my computer . apon startupi get an error message that says it cant find genesis , file does not exist .

Did you install the Genesis Starter Essentials?

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 96,849
    edited December 1969

TimG said:
    bluto said:

There are several extras you will/may want that are separate downloads - Genesis Starter Essentials 9the main content), Genesis 2 Female Starter Essentials (self-explanatory), and the SSS Shader (useful shader, and used by the default G2F materials).

• hinslemhinslem Posts: 5
    edited December 1969

PDSmith said:

(Stay on target!)

-Paul

I've had the same problem a lot. Whenever I go to open the doors, they seem to be joined in the middle, so opening one door stretches the other. So far, I've had no luck in fixing the problem, except making them invisible and replacing them with my own.

• robkelkrobkelk Posts: 3,259
    edited December 1969

And I guess they would have phasers instead of machine guns in their breasts? LOL
    But then you can't make the joke about snub-nosed 38s...
  • RedfernRedfern Posts: 1,582
    edited December 1969

TimG said:

What a cool find! Yes, it would mesh very well with TOS. I do wonder how they really looked without the fish-eye lens photography. Looking at that floor-plan, it appears they were not any bigger than a one bedroom apartment.

And, sadly, most appear not to have survived the years very well. It was probably neigh impossible to get certain parts replaced...at a reasonable cost. Yeah, these "unique" architectural designs may be stylish, but one has to consider upkeep. There's something to be said about "boring" conventional structures.

Still, it would be fun to visit one that's in good repair!

Sincerely,

Bill

• blutobluto Posts: 828
    edited December 1969

TimG said:
    bluto said:

There are several extras you will/may want that are separate downloads - Genesis Starter Essentials 9the main content), Genesis 2 Female Starter Essentials (self-explanatory), and the SSS Shader (useful shader, and used by the default G2F materials).

yes I have several times. ive even tried to import genesis from the poser dson pack into studio . no dice
    I wonder if I need to re download from daz then uninstall from my system and try it again

edited December 1969

bluto said:
    TimG said:
    bluto said:

yes I have several times. ive even tried to import genesis from the poser dson pack into studio . no dice
    I wonder if I need to re download from daz then uninstall from my system and try it again

you might want to try the Daz Install Manager

edited December 1969

Redfern said:
    TimG said:

What a cool find! Yes, it would mesh very well with TOS. I do wonder how they really looked without the fish-eye lens photography. Looking at that floor-plan, it appears they were not any bigger than a one bedroom apartment.

And, sadly, most appear not to have survived the years very well. It was probably neigh impossible to get certain parts replaced...at a reasonable cost. Yeah, these "unique" architectural designs may be stylish, but one has to consider upkeep. There's something to be said about "boring" conventional structures.

Still, it would be fun to visit one that's in good repair!

Sincerely,

Bill

the interior floor space is about 270 square feet

If I had the land, I'd love to have one of these as an outbuilding, maybe for use as a study or cabin

This discussion has been closed.