- Urban Sprawl 3 - First Previews - (Commercial)

Comments

• GhostofMacbethGhostofMacbeth Posts: 1,525
    edited December 1969

Looks awesome, as always.

• SpottedKittySpottedKitty Posts: 7,232
    edited December 1969

Definitely pre-wishlisted here as well. Looking great — hope I'll be able to get it right away.

• JaderailJaderail Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Looks at first promos, looks at CC, looks at Promos again, looks at CC again, looks at more promos... CC starts sweating under heavy gaze, "Um.. I should be ready for a fast burn when it goes live, right?" Nods at CC in knowing way, CC whimpers....

• wimvdb_dc63ee9ce6wimvdb_dc63ee9ce6 Posts: 183
    edited December 1969

Stefan,
    One problem we have with Sprawl 2 in Octane is that you can only load partial sets without removing (a lot of) bump maps. (there are over a 100 different texture maps in that set)
    Is it possible to keep in mind to minimize the number of texture/bump map sets?
    Octane needs to have all its textures and bump maps in VRAM and has a limited number of texture slots.
    Octane is a great and extremely fast render engine, but it comes at a cost...

• StonemasonStonemason Posts: 1,156
    edited December 1969

does Octane have a dimension limit on each texture map?
    I think the only option would be a texture atlas as sprawl3 has around 200 maps

• wimvdb_dc63ee9ce6wimvdb_dc63ee9ce6 Posts: 183
    edited December 1969

As far as I have found out the max texture dimension limit is 65Kx32K for Cuda v2. A more practical limit is the actual size of the VRAM where it has to fit and share with all other textures. In practical terms most CUDA cards have 2,3, or 4GB on board.
    For US2 the VRAM size needed was not the problem (240MB), but the number of rgb texture maps (100) and grayscale maps(86). For a 600 series Cuda card the limits are 144 and 72, For a GTX 580 it is 64 and 32 if I recall correctly.

So if the number would be cut by half or even lower by combining them, that would be great

Thank you for looking into this

• ShaneWSmithShaneWSmith Posts: 636
    edited December 1969

REALLY looking forward to this. Love the other two Sprawls! :-)

• LycanthropeXLycanthropeX Posts: 2,287
    edited December 1969

man i finally got US2, now I got to drool all over this set too

• fayriefayrie Posts: 55
    edited December 1969

next street over from the museum...

i can already picture a couple different renders from fire escapes

• McGrandpaMcGrandpa Posts: 464
    edited December 1969

Wow! Fantastic stuff. I feel I see a lot of 'mixability' here with chunks of other sets too. Now I gotta get PP2014 just to do all that! :-D

• CherokeeCherokee Posts: 292
    edited December 1969

Any new news on this set?

edited December 1969

Nope, and I need it... well, want it very much... nope, I NEED it.

• CherokeeCherokee Posts: 292
    edited December 1969

Jaderail said:
    Nope, and I need it... well, want it very much... nope, I NEED it.

I know what you mean...I do too.

• SGCBearcubSGCBearcub Posts: 243
    edited December 1969

I already have money earmarked for it!

• tsaristtsarist Posts: 1,606
    edited December 1969

I thought this was going to be Sontemason's PA offering this year.
    Oh well, I guess he's making it even more hardcore.

edited December 1969

Mmmm! Can't wait to see it! :-)

• StonemasonStonemason Posts: 1,156
    edited December 1969

Cherokee said:
    Any new news on this set?

no news yet,this one will take a while

Cheers
    Stefan

• DanGer777DanGer777 Posts: 65
    edited December 1969

So how much blood are we to pump out and the number of appendages required for this set? I can offer possibly the left arm and both legs but have to keep at least my right hand for the mouse. ;-P

edited December 1969

Well, a thing I can be sure of is that it will be well worth the wait! Thank you for the word Stefan. :coolsmile:

How do I attach an image in these forums?!?! :ohh:

McG.

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

McGrandpa said:
    Well, a thing I can be sure of is that it will be well worth the wait! Thank you for the word Stefan. :coolsmile:

How do I attach an image in these forums?!?! :ohh:

McG.

Where it says attachment on the left hand side, under the type pane when you make a post. If you glance over to the right you can see it says browse. Click on that, browse to where the image is stored and add it.

If you want to add more images (up to 5 per post are allowed) then click to preview the post and do the same thing again.

Max image size is 2000 pixels on the longest side.

edited December 1969

Ahhh! OK, all these items do not show up when Fast Reply is chosen. Thanks for that! Here is an old render from US2. :-)

McG.

US2_005a.jpg
    1024 x 768 - 124K
  • Faeryl WomynFaeryl Womyn Posts: 3,196
    edited December 1969

What are the chances the doors will be set up to open and close? That includes the garbage can's as well, if they come with the set?

edited December 1969

So happy to hear the StoneMason still working... If I come over and pass you the bricks can I get a discount?

• SylvanSylvan Posts: 2,681
    edited December 1969

I was secretly hoping it would be up during the upcoming anniversary, but since reading your comment that it will take a while, I can patiently set aside some $$$ (and sell my kidneys lol).

edited December 1969

I think we can all look back and note there has been a New Release Discount on pretty much everything Stefan has put in his store. And even at full price, these sets are very affordable. We get a high quality product, and we get it for a lower cost than architectural sets elsewhere. And really, those can't compare to the work Stefan does. I'll just make sure to have a few bucks set aside just for release of US3! :-)

• Mr Gneiss GuyMr Gneiss Guy Posts: 462
    edited December 1969

Sprawl3 will also feature some advanced shader effects that wont carry through to other software,mainly the road & terrain shaders,which, in an effort to avoid obvious tiling have been created using blender nodes,but it should look good with just the road or terrain tiles if your exporting to Vue.

Any chance of a wet shader for the roads (and possibly sidewalks)? That would be really cool.

• ShaneWSmithShaneWSmith Posts: 636
    edited December 1969

McGrandpa said:
    I think we can all look back and note there has been a New Release Discount on pretty much everything Stefan has put in his store. And even at full price, these sets are very affordable. We get a high quality product, and we get it for a lower cost than architectural sets elsewhere. And really, those can't compare to the work Stefan does. I'll just make sure to have a few bucks set aside just for release of US3! :-)

Pretty much this. The quality/value ratio here at DAZ (and especially with the super HQ vendors like Stonemason, Luthbel, Jack Tomalin, etc) is just about unmatched anywhere that I've seen. The price may be 'high', but you'd pay the same amount of money for an obj file of a single screw at Turbosquid :P

• CypherFOXCypherFOX Posts: 3,401
    edited December 1969

Greetings,

McGrandpa said:

Pretty much this. The quality/value ratio here at DAZ (and especially with the super HQ vendors like Stonemason, Luthbel, Jack Tomalin, etc) is just about unmatched anywhere that I've seen. The price may be 'high', but you'd pay the same amount of money for an obj file of a single screw at Turbosquid :PNow now, that's not true! You get TWO screws for that kind of price.

More seriously, I'm happy for this set to take all the time it needs. Urban Sprawl 2 is one of the best purchases I've made, even if I don't use it terribly often, and the item listing says it took over two years to make. I like to just...explore it, and every inch is exquisitely and appropriately textured, whether you're viewing it from the gutter to the sky.

I expect I'll buy US3 when it comes out, whenever that may be. :)

-- Morgan

• Jim_1831252Jim_1831252 Posts: 728
    edited December 1969

Hah! Yep, two screws from Turbo squid is just a shy of the typical price for one of mason's larger prop sets. I don't know what the real difference is between industry focused content brokerages and what we have at places like DAZ and Rendo, but I guess there would be some licencing differences.

• MarcCCTxMarcCCTx Posts: 908
    edited December 1969

Is this still being worked on? Or was it repurposed into something else (like ruins)?