Subsurface Shaders... WOW!

Comments

• Zev0Zev0 Posts: 7,045
    edited December 1969

But I also get this on the character itself casting a shadow and getting glow, such as the troll example posted.

• lface8lface8 Posts: 126
    edited June 2013

Here's a render I'd been working on. Just a bald V4 morphed Gen with Reby textures but I'm only playing with the skin lol.

That's absolutely stunning. I've been tinkering with the SSS shaders for a while now and haven't been able to get anything anywhere near as good as that. If it's not too much trouble, would you be able to post the settings you used?
    Post edited by lface8 on
  • Joe CotterJoe Cotter Posts: 3,259
    edited June 2013

Here's a render I'd been working on. Just a bald V4 morphed Gen with Reby textures but I'm only playing with the skin lol.

Very nice :)

Post edited by Joe Cotter on
  • Type 0 NegativeType 0 Negative Posts: 323
    edited December 1969

kyu2130 said:

i want those settings!!!! that looks really really good.

That looks good, DT. I like that and the one with the nice lighting Slide3D showed us http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/22193/P105/#330158

Virtual_World's work on teeth, skin and eyes http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/22193/P315/#337975

And Laticis' efforts http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/22193/P285/#335685

I agree

• DimensionTheoryDimensionTheory Posts: 434
    edited December 1969

Thanks everyone! I'm glad you liked the render, it's something I'm still working on and refining. I'd like for her to have hair but I'll have to wait until some Garibaldi presets start showing up, I can't get transmapped hair to really lend to the realism without it unless it's something to complex for render times. I've also been making a lot of tweaks to the textures and making my own for gloss/ref etc so it's all pretty convoluted right now ;x

I have another render here with her eyes open and more work done on the skin.

Reby3.jpg
    1500 x 1950 - 508K
  • SotoSoto Posts: 1,437
    edited December 1969

Thanks everyone! I'm glad you liked the render, it's something I'm still working on and refining. I'd like for her to have hair but I'll have to wait until some Garibaldi presets start showing up, I can't get transmapped hair to really lend to the realism without it unless it's something to complex for render times. I've also been making a lot of tweaks to the textures and making my own for gloss/ref etc so it's all pretty convoluted right now ;x

That's perfect!

• CypherFOXCypherFOX Posts: 3,401
    edited December 1969

Greetings,

NeilV 1 said:
    Cypherfox I had a little Play around this Morning using the toolbox I add the following settings to the lampshade surface

I used SSS = !-SkinB-High then Velvet = 1-Velvet-SkinB-Mid and Specularity = 4-LeatherD

I also set ambient colour to 255-255-128 set Ambient SSS contribution to 150% and Ambient strength to 35%

and this is what I got (this is rendered with no lights)

Wow! Nice... I assume you mean with no other lights than the point light inside?

I don't have any files named anything like !-SkinB-High, 1-Velvet-SkinB-Mid or 4-LeatherD, so I'm guessing they come from the SSS Toolbox?

-- Morgan

• Age of ArmourAge of Armour Posts: 437
    edited December 1969

Zev0 said:
    But I also get this on the character itself casting a shadow and getting glow, such as the troll example posted.

It is very possible I am misunderstanding ( I frequently misunderstand things haha ) but, if you change the group ID on one character's skin, it should not longer affect the other character's skin. Unless maybe the shadow color is set to something less that black?

edited June 2013

Sakkura initial... still needs tweaking.

[Edit] Posted US2 version by mistake... back later ;)

[Second Edit] Back with proper image ;p
    All surfaces are AoA. The skin needs some work.

Sakkura-WIP-01a.jpg
    667 x 1000 - 44K
  • NeilV_1NeilV_1 Posts: 442
    edited December 1969

Cypherfox said:
    Greetings,
    NeilV 1 said:
    Cypherfox I had a little Play around this Morning using the toolbox I add the following settings to the lampshade surface

I used SSS = !-SkinB-High then Velvet = 1-Velvet-SkinB-Mid and Specularity = 4-LeatherD

I also set ambient colour to 255-255-128 set Ambient SSS contribution to 150% and Ambient strength to 35%

and this is what I got (this is rendered with no lights)

Wow! Nice... I assume you mean with no other lights than the point light inside?

I don't have any files named anything like !-SkinB-High, 1-Velvet-SkinB-Mid or 4-LeatherD, so I'm guessing they come from the SSS Toolbox?

-- Morgan

Yes those Settings come from DT's toolbox presets as I have been playing around with them a lot over the last few days.

and I forgot to add any lights at all which is bad of me seen as I created those lights. I will reset the lamp and add those lights and see how it looks

• NeilV_1NeilV_1 Posts: 442
    edited June 2013

I took a look at the lights that come with Light The Way and the !AOIBL_Light1 or !IBL_Light1 are not very good for use with SSS as I did not design then that way so they drown out the texture. you can use them as a base but you need to lower the intensity of the distance lights the point light on its own is OK.

Point.jpg
    600 x 800 - 87K
    AOIBL.jpg
    600 x 800 - 89K
    Post edited by NeilV_1 on
    edited June 2013

Sakkura Updated:

In the one picture, we see the original diffuse map. It would be interesting to see other clips of the diffuse map one is starting out from to compare to the final if anyone cares to share that... In this case I thought it particularly of interest as the coloration in the cheeks and some of the other areas are baked in, not added with the shader parameters.

There is eye makeup with this that covers a significant area around the eyes (egyptian.) I didn't include it as I was playing with the base skin itself, but the makeup on the face with no eye makeup doesn't quite work overall, it's out of balance imo, so I would probably not use this without the eye makeup or retouching the face texture in a photo editing program.

On another note, I'm not having any luck with getting translucency in the ear area such as DimensionTheory's example. I would love to know how to accomplish that.

Sakkura-01b.jpg
    800 x 1200 - 64K
    Sak_Face_Def.jpg
    500 x 460 - 21K
    edited June 2013

With the eye makeup, and the basis of my Cleopatra character... custom dialed... WIP... The original mats were poser mats...

02.jpg
    800 x 1200 - 71K
  • SzarkSzark Posts: 10,634
    edited December 1969

That looks extremely good DT

Nice work Neil looking really good.

I just can't wait to play with these as my current machine won't render using the shader without crashing...no surprises there for me.

• Age of ArmourAge of Armour Posts: 437
    edited December 1969

Gedd said:
    Sakkura Updated:

On another note, I'm not having any luck with getting translucency in the ear area such as DimensionTheory's example. I would love to know how to accomplish that.

Hi Gedd,

Two things can help get the light behind the ear effect.

One is having a strong light coming from behind and a shading scale between 0.1 and 0.5. You can use a higher shading scale but the effect starts to blend so much that it may make the glow spread into the sides of the head and face. Try somewhere in the middle first like 0.2 or 0.3.

edited December 1969

Thank you for the quick reply. I set it as high as 1 and the light up to around 500 and finally got some of this effect, however it wasn't a reasonable setting and I ended up setting it back to .5

I am wondering if part of it might be the dark skin tone.

• DimensionTheoryDimensionTheory Posts: 434
    edited December 1969

Gedd said:
    Sakkura Updated:

Hi Gedd,

Two things can help get the light behind the ear effect.

One is having a strong light coming from behind and a shading scale between 0.1 and 0.5. You can use a higher shading scale but the effect starts to blend so much that it may make the glow spread into the sides of the head and face. Try somewhere in the middle first like 0.2 or 0.3.

Something I noticed while doing that render and a few others is how much shadow softness matters when spreading through tissue too, light sources with really hard shadows work better for making the ear glow than those with really soft shadows. I think shadow softness also account for the softness of darkening from shadows in SSS surfaces, hard shadows give harder falloff in SSS making it higher contrast. While I was using softer shadows on the light behind her the glow got washed out into the rest of the surface pretty bad, though hard shadows cause for darkening in diffuse I don't want.

That second render has some strength maps too though, and it's using altered versions of Reby's SSS maps which have darker red color on the ears etc. :)

Thank you all for the comments! The translucency on your lamp is looking great, Neil. AoA's shader makes for some great fun allowing those sorts of effects, shadow color is really useful.

edited June 2013

Thank you DimensionTheory, I've rendered it with hard shadows and it did make a difference. The ears aren't as translucent as you achieved but the overall effect is much more along the lines of what I was trying to achieve :)

[Edit] An interesting note on this particular texture. I actually wanted some blurring of the diffuse in this case. The texture was a good high res texture but it had a little too much real imperfections for my taste. If it was a real model I had shot, I would have brought it into a photo editing program and done some post on it. Since the SSS does this some anyways, it achieves two effects at once. Nice use for pre-post SSS as I would often probably defer to post but in this case used pre with a lower diffuse setting.

03.jpg
    800 x 1200 - 67K
  • vwranglervwrangler Posts: 4,813
    edited June 2013

I hope this hasn't been answered, but with a 30-page long thread, it's hard to find anything.

I applied the base and then the Subsurface Toolbox preset Skin-B Low, from the Subsurface Scattering folder. Everything seems to be fine but the lips and teeth. As you can see from the workspace image in the middle, his mouth is actually closed -- there's nothing for me to change with those settings. When I render the scene, it looks like his mouth is open, no matter what type of lighting I use. He has displacement maps and bump maps, and I set the displacement on his lips very low to see if that would help, but that didn't work. I tried turning displacement off cmpletely on his facial textures, and that didn't help. Displacement is off on his teeth and mouth textures; no strength or values or maps. He doesn't look like that when rendered with the DAZ Studio default texture.

What needs to be changed so that his mouth behaves as it should?

karassmouth-03-dsdefault.jpg
    600 x 613 - 171K
    karasslips.jpg
    1918 x 880 - 884K
    Post edited by vwrangler on
  • scorpioscorpio Posts: 8,313
    edited December 1969

Did you 0 the displacement min and max, this really does look like a displacement problem.

• vwranglervwrangler Posts: 4,813
    edited December 1969

Did you 0 the displacement min and max, this really does look like a displacement problem.

You're right; I set the strength to 0 for displacement on the lips, but forgot to set the values. When I set displacement min and max on the lips to 0, that disappeared. Kind of surprised that actually matters, once the strength is 0.

Thanks!

• Herald of FireHerald of Fire Posts: 3,504
    edited December 1969

vwrangler said:

You're right; I set the strength to 0 for displacement on the lips, but forgot to set the values. When I set displacement min and max on the lips to 0, that disappeared. Kind of surprised that actually matters, once the strength is 0.

Thanks!
    Yeah, it appears to be a little bug there. I've noticed it displaces even if you've got no displacement maps set, just so long as the values are non-zero. Not sure why it does that though. It does seem rather odd.

Picked up a new K4 character recently, so naturally I had to try out the shader to see how it looks. Sadly, the texture is lower resolution than I'm used to (2000 square pixels), so it's not the most detailed of maps, but its nice to see that I can still get decent close ups with the noise option on the shader. All those micro-bumps really add to the skin texture, though I did have to fiddle around with the settings to get it just right.

The morph itself is as cute as a button though, so no arguments there, and she came with some nice poses and expressions. Used a very simple UE2 and distant light setup with raytraced shadows for this image. The only postwork done was to add a background image, so the foreground remains untouched.

Sammi.jpg
    1000 x 1000 - 717K
  • IndigoneIndigone Posts: 86
    edited December 1969

Ok, I must be doing something wrong here. I love what I see, but I'm not getting the results you all are getting in skin. I guess I need to purchase the toon shader presets to get something. I purchased the SSS toolbox, but that just confuses me because I don't know the basic setup for skin.

I used the realistic settings that AoA posted in this thread, but I can't see what was used for Subsurface color, so that is my first question.

Also, if you scroll down on the main DAZ page, it states that the SSS toon shaders and the SSS gooey shaders are 30% off, but that doesn't show in the store.

Thanks in advance.

• Herald of FireHerald of Fire Posts: 3,504
    edited December 1969

Indigone said:
    Ok, I must be doing something wrong here. I love what I see, but I'm not getting the results you all are getting in skin. I guess I need to purchase the toon shader presets to get something. I purchased the SSS toolbox, but that just confuses me because I don't know the basic setup for skin.

I used the realistic settings that AoA posted in this thread, but I can't see what was used for Subsurface color, so that is my first question.

Also, if you scroll down on the main DAZ page, it states that the SSS toon shaders and the SSS gooey shaders are 30% off, but that doesn't show in the store.

Thanks in advance.

For my part, I used a light red-pink colour for the subsurface colour in the above image. In AoA's example, he posted the full settings including the subsurface colour (it was pure white). My guess is that he left it white so that the skin would give the subsurface its colour instead. I'd be happy to share my own subsurface settings on any of my previous works to get you started trying to reproduce the results.
  • IndigoneIndigone Posts: 86
    edited December 1969

Indigone said:

Thanks in advance.

For my part, I used a light red-pink colour for the subsurface colour in the above image. In AoA's example, he posted the full settings including the subsurface colour (it was pure white). My guess is that he left it white so that the skin would give the subsurface its colour instead. I'd be happy to share my own subsurface settings on any of my previous works to get you started trying to reproduce the results.

Thank you!! I must be blind, I saw the image was cut off and left the sss color out. I just purchased the toon shaders and will give those a try too. While I was doing that, I saw that Hitome was on sale in Fast Grab for 70% off, so I got to spend more money. Let me give this stuff a try before I ask you to share your settings.

• kittenwyldekittenwylde Posts: 151
    edited December 1969

I'm having a complete idiot moment. How do I change the group id? Been poking through the thread, 'cause I swear someone said how to do it at some point, but I can't find it now.

• Lissa_xyzLissa_xyz Posts: 6,116
    edited December 1969

Surface tab > highlight surface(s) > search group > change.

• Lissa_xyzLissa_xyz Posts: 6,116
    edited June 2013

I *think* I might be getting somewhere with these gummies. o_O Still working on the eyeballs.

Zorn_front.jpg
    1000 x 1000 - 510K
    Zorn.jpg
    1000 x 1000 - 512K
    Post edited by Lissa_xyz on
    edited December 1969

Vaskania said:
    Surface tab > highlight surface(s) > search group > change.

Thanks! You saved my sanity. :)
    edited December 1969

Vaskania said:
    I *think* I might be getting somewhere with these gummies. o_O Still working on the eyeballs.

That's one creepy dude. Looks really nice! Is he a distant cousin of the prawns from District 9?