Post Your Renders - #4: A New Hope

Comments

• evilproducerevilproducer Posts: 9,040
    edited December 1969

A fox wedding that is NOT photoreal...? I can't imagine what you were thinking....

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Great job Fenric! Very imaginative!

edited December 1969

Garstor said:
    Another of my big guy:

Best. Version. Yet.

I love the look you put him. It makes me wonder what he just saw...

Wendy's car? ;-P

edited December 1969

This video was done in C5. I had bought transposer, but I could never get it to work, I bought the T-rex model from DAZ before I realized transposer was a dud (for me), so I brought the T-Rex' object file into Carrara and rigged it myself. I didn't really know or understand what morphs were, so I didn't do any of that. I also didn't know about the shadow catcher either.

http://youtu.be/taejI7yb2R0

Oh my is that ever AWESOME!!! EP, Dude.. you got eaten! No, seriously. There was blood and... well... yeah. Eaten!
    I think you did a great job. So that was before you became the true Carrara genius that you are today, eh? You're a natural. People got away with much less in movies that hit the theaters!

:red: Thanks! :red: That was the first big animation I did after I bought Carrara. I wasn't even aware at the time of DAZ's forums, so I strictly used the manual and the included tutorials for rigging.

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,221
    edited December 1969

Koukotsu said:
    I just try to represent Carrara the best that I can ;-)

Here's my latest, I think it's a bit on the "orange" side though, lol.

Simply Gorgeous! Carrara is lucky to have you representing it!
    I think the orange hue is nice and warm. I really like that setting.
  • GarstorGarstor Posts: 1,411
    edited December 1969

Wendy's car? ;-P

:lol: Hey, that car is a damn sight better than I can do at the moment!

edited December 1969

Gars Man!
    I'm lovin' the enthusiasm, brah! You are just pouring into this CG Art like lemonade on a hot day, aren'tcha! That booleans cube reminds of of those cover art pics that Dimension Theory (Jeffrey Felt) did for the Carrara page! Really neat stuff.
    Did you know that, if you go to Holly's Webspace you can find a link to Fenric's free Ivy growing plugin?

I have heard the fantastic tales of legend about this plugin...but I have never tried to quest for it...much to my own loss I am sure!

Speaking of rush...I think I'll start on that art gallery (again).

edited December 1969

:blink: :blink:

What. The. {insert word of your choice here}

This is the "perforated cube" imported into Carrara. The oddity on the right is from an OBJ export in LW. The (only slightly) better one on the left is imported directly as a LWO.

Yet another lesson learned the hard way... :)

Carrara_imported.png
    1000 x 853 - 135K
    edited December 1969

That's what you get for using booleans! ;-)

edited December 1969

That's what you get for using booleans! ;-)

Normally, I'd consider my wrist duly slapped...but I guess my old POV-Ray days still bubble up in my brain and I figure today's apps ought to handle Booleans with ease...

edited December 1969

From what I gather, it's how each app handles the messy mesh. I don't really have any practical experience using the vertex room. I understand that it's usually required to clean up the mesh, as each app is a bit different when interpreting another apps mess. You could probably create the same mesh in Carrara using the same methods and it will look fine in Carrara, but then if you export out an object for Lightwave, you may get the same mess.

edited December 1969

From what I gather, it's how each app handles the messy mesh.

That's reasonable. After all, you can continue this pattern mathematically forever...it is a fixed volume with an infinite surface area.

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,812
    edited December 1969

Does that car .car file work for anyone who downloaded it?

• wetcircuitwetcircuit Posts: 0
    edited February 2013

Garstor said:
    Another of my big guy:

Best. Version. Yet.

I love the look you put him. It makes me wonder what he just saw...

Wendy's car? ;-P

Hahahahah

I'm at work, but DYING to see it...!

Post edited by wetcircuit on
    edited December 1969

Sorry I missed your post about making the car available. I'll take look at it.

• wetcircuitwetcircuit Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Koukotsu said:
    I just try to represent Carrara the best that I can ;-)

Here's my latest, I think it's a bit on the "orange" side though, lol.

Simply Gorgeous! Carrara is lucky to have you representing it!
    I think the orange hue is nice and warm. I really like that setting.

Yes, I like the look...! Lovely!

edited February 2013

Oops! Somehow I quoted myself. :red:

Post edited by evilproducer on
    edited February 2013

only asking because a Daz friend on Skype said it crashed the beta and played music on the production build, uhmmm no music except me singing oh what a feeling toyita with morphvox if the sound file saved with it.

Post edited by WendyLuvsCatz on
    edited December 1969

It may have if you saved it internally.

edited December 1969

I do not sound like Enya

• MiloMilo Posts: 511
    edited December 1969

Koukotsu said:
    Oh yeah, I use ambient occlusion very often, it's a great speedy alternative to full indirect lighting and really adds to the sense of depth in an image.

You might have to occasionally do some weird things to tame it, like creating "glowing teeth" shaders when your figure has their mouth open and things like that though :P

I usually take advantage of the handy multi-pass feature to allow for more post-work flexibility, those ambient occlusion passes also happen to look quite nifty on their own in my opinion, lol.

Do you replace all the shaders or just the multipass. I have done a little but had replaced every shader with a white one and put some lightdome lighting

edited December 1969
  • edited February 2013

-_Milo_- said:
    Do you replace all the shaders or just the multipass. I have done a little but had replaced every shader with a white one and put some lightdome lighting

Nope, I just leave my shaders as they are, I simply check ambient occlusion in the multi-pass/image output options and let it render. ;-)

Ha ha, hilarious vid Wendy, you're a much better modeller than I am at least, lol ;-P

Post edited by K0daKumi_8e8836aac0 on
    edited December 1969

That Car vid is awesome! Mimic Pro on a Yota!

edited December 1969

I do not sound like Enya

No offense; but, no...no, you do not sound like Enya. Wrong accent entirely!

edited December 1969

Koukotsu said:
    Nope, I just leave my shaders as they are, I simply check ambient occlusion in the multi-pass/image output options and let it render. ;-)

I think I'm up for some early morning education. Can someone please explain at a high-level what ambient occlusion is about and when I would or would not want to check that box in the Render Room?

edited February 2013

Koukotsu, totally OT,
    Would you happen to still have the image files to that Luxology Render tutorial you made? I was going to add that to the manual thing, but the old forums images are gone :(

ONLY if it's not a bother.

Post edited by Dartanbeck on
  • edited February 2013

Garstor said:
    Koukotsu said:

I think I'm up for some early morning education. Can someone please explain at a high-level what ambient occlusion is about and when I would or would not want to check that box in the Render Room?

It's basically just a fast approximation of full indirect lighting, and works by darkening the scene's ambient light based on object proximity.

Suppose you have 2 cubes that are placed far apart; the ambient light between these 2 cubes will still be fairly bright.

But, if you place the same 2 cubes very close together, the ambient light between them will be much darker.

In order for it to work properly you'll have to have some degree of ambient light in your scene, which can be controlled by selecting "scene" from the instances list and under the effects tab you'll see a percentage slider for the ambient light level. Then, you need to increase the occlusion radius from the global illumination panel to control the size/scale of the effect.

As far as when you would want to use it... keep in mind that it's basically just a quicker alternative to full indirect lighting, it's particularly handy to use for interior renders and for portrait style renders where you need that indirect lighting look but there are little to no objects for the light to bounce off of.

Crude versions of it are becoming fairly common in video games now as well, which look incredibly dull and flat with the effect turned off.

Just play around with a simple scene (Place a few spheres and other primitives on a plane) and do some ambient occlusion tests, you'll learn to love it most likely, lol. :)

Post edited by K0daKumi_8e8836aac0 on
  • edited December 1969

Koukotsu, totally OT,
    Would you happen to still have the image files to that Luxology Render tutorial you made? I was going to add that to the manual thing, but the old forums images are gone :(

ONLY if it's not a bother.

No, so sorry, I lost them forever the last time I formatted my PC, there's always something important that I forget to back-up, every time, lol :blank:

...but I have refined my methods and learned quite a bit about Blender/Luxrender since then, I'll try to put together an updated tutorial real soon!

edited December 1969

Only if YOU'D like to. I don't really need anything like that. It was just such an awesome tutorial - and there are masses who always want to try stuff like that. I live in Carrara - and Dogwaffle... well, soon to be "and Dogwaffle" :)

• edited December 1969

Only if YOU'D like to. I don't really need anything like that. It was just such an awesome tutorial - and there are masses who always want to try stuff like that. I live in Carrara - and Dogwaffle... well, soon to be "and Dogwaffle" :)

I kind of have the urge to try out my latest Carrara scene in Luxrender, I may as well put together a new tutorial when I do ;-)

Apart from hunting down and loading all the alpha maps (and having to use Blender, of course) it's a fairly simple process, lol.

This discussion has been closed.