Treasure Beast ?

LycanthropeXLycanthropeX Posts: 2,287
edited December 1969 in The Commons

http://www.daz3d.com/new-releases/the-treasure-beast

is it just me or should this thing be made "Mimic" ready?

Comments

• KatteyKattey Posts: 2,899
    edited May 2013

Where is Pun Police? :D

But yes, it is a charming mimic, the plague of old dungeons and unwary travelers.
    Nostalgic, really - modern adventurers sometimes are so savvy that they will only touch the chest with 10-feet pole....

Post edited by Kattey on
  • TotteTotte Posts: 13,473
    edited December 1969

Yupp, it's a mimic! Must be!

edited December 1969

Kattey said:

But yes, it is a charming mimic, the plague of old dungeons and unwary travelers.
    Nostalgic, really - modern adventurers sometimes are so savvy that they will only touch the chest with 10-feet pole....

But you buy a 10 foot ladder and then cut it down to 3 foot poles and you will gain 4 cp selling 3 foot poles. The way the first power games became billionaires at level 1 ;-)

edited December 1969

Totte said:
    Kattey said:

But you buy a 10 foot ladder and then cut it down to 3 foot poles and you will gain 4 cp selling 3 foot poles. The way the first power games became billionaires at level 1 ;-)

Heh, well, it would work.... unless there is no demand for 3-foot poles because in order to become billionaires with 4cp-per-pole profit you'd have to sell more poles than there are people (monsters included) in most RPG worlds and the market is flooded with those poles :D

edited December 1969

Kattey said:
    Totte said:
    Kattey said:

Heh, well, it would work.... unless there is no demand for 3-foot poles because in order to become billionaires with 4cp-per-pole profit you'd have to sell more poles than there are people (monsters included) in most RPG worlds and the market is flooded with those poles :D

That's just one of those stupid powergamer things when interpret rules RAW (Rules As Written) and not RAI (Rules As Intended).
    If someone had tried that in any game run by me they would end up as shish-kebab on those 3 foot poles, don't mess with the 3'-pole makers guild ;-)

• FirstBastionFirstBastion Posts: 7,220
    edited December 1969

sure, it sort of calls for lip syncing.... http://www.daz3d.com/software/mimic/mimic-pro

but the extra work involved would probably make it "not a freebie"

• LycanthropeXLycanthropeX Posts: 2,287
    edited December 1969

i was actually thinking about making some mimic morphs for it, but i'm not sure what to do with that dang tongue... maybe just make it invisible and do the morphs for the rest of the mouth

• bytescapesbytescapes Posts: 1,799
    edited December 1969

For some reason, that makes me think of the Luggage from Terry Pratchett's "Discworld" series.

Maybe that'll be Valandar's next project ...

• BurstAngelBurstAngel Posts: 761
    edited December 1969

THANK YOU VALANDER!!!

My hubby and I introduced our son to D&D a few months ago. Mimics are his favorite monsters. He even made one out of an arts&craft; chest from a craft store. I'm going to have fun rendering pictures of his mage running away.

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,517
    edited December 1969

...I wonder if I can kit bash it with a briefcase? ;-)

• DavageDavage Posts: 84
    edited December 1969

Reminds me of Sapient Pearwood.

• PVGamesPVGames Posts: 68
    edited December 1969

I was actually thinking just today of somehow making a Mimic type monster... and lo-and-behold, I check the store and what's there? This beauty. It looks awesome! Now if we can just get some sort of slime/ooze monster, I think we have most of the classic D&D type monsters covered in the store :-)

edited December 1969

...need a rust monster. Loved it when the big tough armoured fighter quivered in fear and ran off screaming like a little girl because of something not much bigger than a "Texas speed bump" (armadillo).

Still remember the cartoon in the original AD&D P.H. of the fighter jumping into the mage's arms for protection from the little bugger.

• riftwitchriftwitch Posts: 1,404
    edited December 1969

This critter is really nice; it brings back a lot of memories. The tentacles have a bunch of morphs/pose controls, which is really useful. The only problem I'm having is if I apply the 'rage' pose, the bases of the tentacles get weird-looking, like there's a notch taken out of each one.

• Miss BMiss B Posts: 3,071
    edited December 1969

Here I was thinking Val had finally flipped his wig!!

Now I guess it's because I'm not what you'd call a tried and true gamer. ~shakes head~

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,713
    edited December 1969

looks cool.
    I too missed all the gaming references, will DL it later, bet I can make it a chatterbox in iClone though!
    even sing!
    I can make most things talk there with just a few morphs combined for visemes and tentacles can be included!
    main thing is open close mouth and tongue position.

• BarubaryBarubary Posts: 1,200
    edited December 1969

Well, I can say with some confidence, that this is the greatest Freebie that anyone has ever released in the entire history of the universe.

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,713
    edited December 1969

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hR5fD46uwYs
    my viseme posing in iClone 3dxchange expression editor needs work
    Parented it to Genesis head to fbx export it as a humanoid non-standard character and added the treasure chest bones to the facial bones.

edited December 1969

...:lol: Silly, but nice work.

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 96,219
    edited December 1969

Miss B said:
    Here I was thinking Val had finally flipped his wig!!

Now I guess it's because I'm not what you'd call a tried and true gamer. ~shakes head~

Are those mutually exclusive options?

• westonmiwestonmi Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

It's the mutant cousin of the Giggle Box in Flyff...

http://images.wikia.com/flyff/images/3/36/Giggle_box.JPG

edited December 1969

Now if we can just get some sort of slime/ooze monster, I think we have most of the classic D&D type monsters covered in the store :-)
    No! You forgot Flumph! And Sheep-in-Wolf-Clothing! And Deadly Floor!
    But yes, gelatinous cube and rust monster!

It’s the mutant cousin of the Giggle Box in Flyff…

http://images.wikia.com/flyff/images/3/36/Giggle_box.JPG

I'd say it is the other way around. Mimics were here a lot longer ;)
  • WahilWahil Posts: 307
    edited December 1969

i was actually thinking about making some mimic morphs for it, but i'm not sure what to do with that dang tongue... maybe just make it invisible and do the morphs for the rest of the mouth

In case you haven't played with it yet, when the dang tongue is made invisible, the Treasure Beast still looks complete without looking like something is missing.

Chest.jpg
    767 x 620 - 115K
  • WahilWahil Posts: 307
    edited December 1969

. . . but I personally love that tongue.

:coolgrin:

Skull_Lick_2.JPG
    539 x 620 - 117K
  • SkirikiSkiriki Posts: 4,972
    edited December 1969

Barubary said:
    Well, I can say with some confidence, that this is the greatest Freebie that anyone has ever released in the entire history of the universe.

I agree. This is indeed THE. BEST. THING. EVER.

edited December 1969

Skiriki said:
    Barubary said:

Well, I do have to correct myself a wee bit. I still love the figure itself. But I am a bit bummed that the wood and metal parts of the chest are part of the same mat zone. Makes it kinda hard to use in Reality or Luxus.

• LycanthropeXLycanthropeX Posts: 2,287
    edited December 1969

Barubary said:
    Skiriki said:
    Barubary said:

Well, I do have to correct myself a wee bit. I still love the figure itself. But I am a bit bummed that the wood and metal parts of the chest are part of the same mat zone. Makes it kinda hard to use in Reality or Luxus.

In poser you can use the grouping tool to set up new mat zones, i know studio has a similar tool but no clue how to use it. If you need Poser instructions let me know, i can do a brief tutorial

• SkirikiSkiriki Posts: 4,972
    edited December 1969

In DS, that's Polygon Group Editor. Note that the metal and wood aren't quite 1-to-1 on the critter, but if you create a new surface for metal, it is "eh close enough", most likely.

edited December 1969

Barubary said:
    Skiriki said:
    Barubary said:

In poser you can use the grouping tool to set up new mat zones, i know studio has a similar tool but no clue how to use it. If you need Poser instructions let me know, i can do a brief tutorial

Thanks for the offer but I use DS. I am generally familiar with the Polygon Editor Tool, so setting up a new Mat Zone was the first thing I tried. As far as I can tell with my limited experience with the tool, though, it doesn't work either.

It's not that I have any basis for complaining, it's a freebie, it's an overall very well done freebie, and it comes with good spec maps, too, so there's a lot to like. I just wished content creators in general would never, ever, use one mat zone for different types of surfaces.

• TjebTjeb Posts: 507
    edited December 1969

Not all Treasure Beasts can talk, you know; some do other things...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HRL8QXoeNtI