DAZ Install Manager 1.0.1.59 Update

Comments

• ChaosphotoChaosphoto Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

the autoupdate of install manager crashed on my Win8 64 bit laptop. I then did a regular install and that worked

• 3DAGE3DAGE Posts: 3,311
    edited December 1969

HI linvanchene :)

I did notice that I can set up different paths but how does the DIM know how to use which path for which installer type?

As far as I know, It's built into the file header, or metadata which dim reads to identify whether it's a Content item or a Plugin or an application,. but I know nothing,. perhaps Spooky can answer that one better.

Or is the DIM smart enough to know which type of installer goes into which path?

Yes,. well, actually No,. but once you tell it what applications you have,. and where they're located (Main Application folder),. it'll do the rest.

So, for the example of Ron's brushes,.
    Dim will recognise the file as a plugin for photoshop, and will install it to the application folders you've set up in DIM, and it'll unpack the product into the correct folder structure,. eg: presets/brushes etc...

If you have DS, and the PS Bridge,. Dim will install the PS plugin into photoshop, and the DS plugin into Daz Studio.

Also,. if you have multiple versions of an application, like a 32bit and 64bit version,. And you've added both application to DIM, then it'll install the product to both of those locations,.. unless it's a product which is only built for 32bit or 64bit.

Will the photoshop brushes and styles automatically be placed into photoshop when the path is setup correctly?

Yes,. once you tell it where the application is,. Dim will unpack the product into the correct folder structure.

General Content Files

With any other "stuff" which isn't designed for a specific application,. like merchant resources, etc.
    You have the options available, in Dim,. to select a folder where you would want (NON CONTENT) installed to. and the option to select or deselect that from the "download" list or "ready to install" tabs,. and then install it to a specific location

How does the DIM know when it needs to use the application path (system files) and when the Library (content) Installation path?

Let's say you stumble blindly into the daz store, for the first time,. and see Daz Studio and decide to try it,. (or any other application)
    Using DIM,. any application you don't currently have installed,... will be installed to either the 64bit or 32bit application paths

What I would like to do is to set up different content libraries for vue, photoshop and general content.

Yes, you can either, add the application,. EG: Photoshop, Carrara, Bryce, Vue etc ..and DIM will install items for those programs into the same locations you would get if you had used a "normal" Product installer.
    the folder structure where those files should go, will be the same,. by default

but you can Choose to select another folder, and Change the dropdown path in the (Ready to install) tab

Once you've downloaded products,. you can select what you want to do with them manually, or allow DIM to install them to the applications, and their default paths.

Applications such as Carrara, have the content installed into the main program folder,. but if Vue content can be placed anywhere and has no dependent files, then you can choose to install it wherever you like..

From you're screen shot's,. I'd suggest un-installing that item,. then select the folder location you want to install it to,. from the "Ready to install" tab (drop-down menu), (pic to help) then click install.

Hope it helps :)

dim_custom.jpg
    895 x 728 - 165K
  • vwranglervwrangler Posts: 4,813
    edited December 1969

It probably doesn't matter now, but for future versions of DIM, one thing I would really VERY VERY STRONGLY suggest adding to the program is either for it not to force you to update, or for it to explicitly tell you that you MUST update to work online.

In other words, when you start DIM and there is an update available, there should be three options, not two: Update, Work Offline, Update Later and work normally now. DIM would then allow you to access your account, and then possibly lists its own update among the available downloads.

If there's some reason that you absolutely MUST update before looking at your downloads online through DIM -- DIM will explode in despair if you don't update, the servers will spontaneously fail across the board if they get the merest whiff of nonupdated DIM and then explode, your current installation of DIM wil self-destruct five seconds after you read that message so you'd better update and good luck Jim, whatever -- then the message alerting you to the update should also explicitly say that you will not be allowed to access your online account through DIM without updating. What is essentially now a silent failure should not be an option.

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,571
    edited May 2013

...I agree. because of the update thing and my poor connectivity this is now totally useless as I keep getting failures every time I try to start it up. I can't afford (and do not want) a supposedly fast and "stable" cable Internet hookup as I am not about to sell my soul for some stupid contract that makes me pay a penalty if I don't like and want to terminate it.

....these people still don't understand what the "KISS factor" means.

Post edited by kyoto kid on
  • linvanchenelinvanchene Posts: 1,331
    edited May 2013

3DAGE said:

From you're screen shot's,. I'd suggest un-installing that item,. then select the folder location you want to install it to,. from the "Ready to install" tab (drop-down menu), (pic to help) then click install.

Thank you so much again for all that detailed information. I am now much more comfortable using the DIM with all those different file types.

Your screenshot helped a lot.

I was completly unaware that there is also the "Details" box at the bottom right. That will make selecting custom installation paths much quicker.

- - -

I tried again with another General Content file: Ron´s Mud PNGs and was able to set a custom content location and that worked out fine.

- - -

It seems my installation problems with "Ultimate Deserts for Vue" is an isolated issue.

I cannot replicate the same behavior with any other file.

Maybe I just picked a file to test how general content is installed that is somehow corrupted:

Installed file size shows "0 bytes" and unknown installed file size.

The log is also a bit strange because it shows the time 0 min 0.0 sec.

"Installing product : Ron's Mud PNGs
    Product successfully installed : Ron's Mud PNGs
    Install Queue finished in 0 min 5.5 sec.
    Installing product : Ultimate Deserts for Vue
    Product successfully installed : Ultimate Deserts for Vue
    Install Queue finished in 0 min 0.0 sec.
    Uninstalling product : Ron's Mud PNGs
    Product successfully uninstalled : Ron's Mud PNGs
    Uninstalling product : Ultimate Deserts for Vue
    Product successfully uninstalled : Ultimate Deserts for Vue
    Installing product : Ultimate Deserts for Vue
    Product successfully installed : Ultimate Deserts for Vue
    Install Queue finished in 0 min 0.0 sec."

- - -

I leave it at that for now. There are only very few vue files I purchased in the DAZ store and will have another look at it when another one shows up in the DIM.

Maybe some other people that also have "Ultimate Deserts for Vue" can report if they had any luck installing that particular file.

- - -

Well actually there is one idea left:

At the moment I have the categories "Products" and "Updated Products" in my "Ready to Download" view.

In the "Ready to Download" view it would be interesting to have all "Products" and "Updated Products" split up into sub categories depending on what kind of installers they are.

(Updated) DAZ Products
    (Updated) DAZ Application Files
    (Updated) Photoshop Content Files
    (Updated) Photoshop Application Files
    (Updated) E-on Vue Content Files
    (Updated) E-on Vue Application Files
    (Updated) General Content
    etc.

- - -

Or if it is not possible to detect for which application content files are all General Content could show up in one sub category:

(Updated) DAZ Products
    (Updated) DAZ Application Files
    (Updated) Photoshop Application Files
    (Updated) E-on Vue Application Files
    (Updated) General Content
    etc

This would give the users an indication what type of installer is available for download. The user can choose the appropriate installation path from the pull down menu and download all files from one category at the same time with the same path.
    After one category is done the user can move to the next.

- - -

If it is not possible to display more custom categories in the "Ready to Download" view some kind of color code for different type of installers might also help to more easily spot "General Content" type of installers that may need special attention.

- - -

Or another column could be added in the "Ready to Download" view that indicates the name of the application

Update / Edit:

Updated several times to add some more ideas.
    Guess that was it for now. :-P

- - -

Thank you all so much for your work on the DIM. It really helps a lot!!! :coolsmile:

Ultimate_Deserts_for_Vue_unknown_installed_file_size.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 344K
    Post edited by linvanchene on
  • atryeuatryeu Posts: 612
    edited December 1969

When you start DAZ Install Manager, it will automatically be updated.

That is a 100% bad idea and I will NOT be using this program again until that feature is removed. I am on dialup and last time I checked the download was around 30mb... That's 3 hours of downloading for me. I do NOT want any of the programs on my computer to auto update for me and I have gotten rid of every single program that doesn't allow me to disable it.

Please add an option to disable that feature if we choose to. Thank you.

edited December 1969

HI linvanchene :)

glad to help :) and glad it's working for you, and you feel more comfortable using it.

I was initially hesitant, about DIM,.. but using it for a while,. and seeing how much easier it made installing and managing files, makes it an essential tool now.

You've got some good ideas there,.

On Product updates,.. those files will automatically be installed to wherever the Product is installed,.
    so, I usually just select all of those,... enable the (Install after downloading) (option-box),. and let it do it's thing, while i look at the new Products list and figure out what i want to do with them.

Categorising, or colour coding different types of products, would seem helpful,.. if it's possible., but I've no idea whether it is or isn't.

The Vue product download issue you're having,. sounds strange.. but I don't have Vue., so Maybe one of the Daz people can have a look at that Vue desert product for you, ...

hopefully it's a quick fix :)

edited December 1969

HI atryeu

I really feel for you,. ..

I think we all know what it can be like on Dial up,. but,. if you compare the download size of the "occasional" update to Dim,. with the file size of your average 3D product,. it's really quire small,.

If you compare it to genesis starter essentials, (around 400mb) it pales into insignificance.

DIM does NOT update every time you open it,.
    but it will tell you that there is a update available (when there is one) and it will automatically download it for you, and install it.

You can also choose to work (offline) with DIM,. to manage your files,. but you'll still need to go on-line to download your products, and that would trigger the DIM update download install process.

With internet Cafe's, with high speed broadband, and the availability of USB sticks, with multi GigaByte capacities.
    you can get a lot done, by going for a coffee and a sandwich :)

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,571
    edited May 2013

...not necessarily. on quite a few of the products in my history list, I've seen DLs where the DIM file size was about the same if not larger than the .exe. version.

Post edited by kyoto kid on
    edited December 1969

HI Kyoto Kid :)

You're right,. some Dim zips are about the same size as some installers, (since it's the same files) but most are smaller since there's no installer package.and no un-installer being added after installation.

Some files are bigger because the product has been packed from multiple installers, into one, ..like the starter essentials for genesis
    but zips also mean that it's easier to deal with, since mac and PC don't need separate installers.

but what I was trying to say was that compared to an "Average Product" download size, the DIM update isn't that big.
    and shouldn't be a big enough issue to stop you using DIM,.. rather than manually downloading.

linvanchene,.

In the (ready to download) tab,. at the top left, there's a "Download Filters" button,. which opens a panel, where you can select the content type (based on application)
    so,. you could set the options there to show only Vue files,. ..or all file for all products,. or never show vue files :)

also, with the product filters, it's easy to type that name (or the first few letters) of a product, and DIM will show you those products.
    which is helpful if your looking at a long list of products.

so there are ways to filter what you want to see,. which is helpful if you#'re wanting to install different products,. to different locations.

• ItsJeffTodayItsJeffToday Posts: 1
    edited December 1969

It keeps telling me that my (correct) email or password is invalid so I didn't down load. Oh well I guess what I have is good enough.

• KeryaKerya Posts: 10,943
    edited December 1969

Could someone update the thread title to v. 1.0.1.59?

• markboylanmarkboylan Posts: 0
    edited May 2013

I autoupdated but I get nothing but "download failed" errors or DIM crashes. I do appreciate updates to help in the long run, I really do. But I know I am now locked into at least 30 minutes to an hour of reading posts and trying to understand why DIM is no longer working for me. That's time I don't have right now. Frustrating.

Edited with additional comment:

The server fixes let some content through, but now DIM crashes whenever I try to download any content. Once crashed, the program will not work again until I reboot. Once rebooted it loads OK, but once again crashes whenever I try to download anything. Ideas? Also, I have never been able to log into the bug/error reporting site. I cannot log in using my current Daz login/PW and it never sends me the e-mail it promises to open a new account. Not sure if this info is helpful:

DAZ3DIM.exe caused ACCESS_VIOLATION in module "C:\Program Files (x86)\DAZ 3D\DAZ3DIM1\QtCore4.dll" at 0023:6025DEC5, QMetaObject::addGuard()+101 byte(s)

EAX=00000000 EBX=04671860 ECX=00000001 EDX=045EF5E0
    ESI=011AD320 EDI=045EBAA0 FLG=00010206
    EBP=011AD364 ESP=011AD2A0 EIP=6025DEC5
    CS=0023 DS=002B SS=002B ES=002B FS=0053 GS=002B

Post edited by markboylan on
  • linvanchenelinvanchene Posts: 1,331
    edited May 2013

3DAGE said:

In the (ready to download) tab,. at the top left, there's a "Download Filters" button,. which opens a panel, where you can select the content type (based on application)
    so,. you could set the options there to show only Vue files,. ..or all file for all products,. or never show vue files :)

also, with the product filters, it's easy to type that name (or the first few letters) of a product, and DIM will show you those products.
    which is helpful if your looking at a long list of products.

so there are ways to filter what you want to see,. which is helpful if you#'re wanting to install different products,. to different locations.

The filters are great when I want to search for specific installers AFER I downloaded and installed them.

I also can see the filters to be helpfull when I am going to redownload everything to set up a new pc from scratch.
    Then I can use the filters to display the different types of installers because I know that there will be different types.

Nevertheless to have an option to see at a quick glance which type of different installers are ready seems now quite important to keep using the DIM in an efficient way on a day to day basis after shoping.

The main issue seems to be that now there is a risk that some special kind of installer gets mixed in with standard DAZ content without me even noticing.

I buy so much content that each file that is not categorized and installed properly at the day of purchase is a file that will probably be lost forever because I forget I even purchased it.

It would seem rather complicated to use the filter to go randomly trough all file types to see if a special one is in the download list.

- - -

Example:

I often shop once a week and then a lot of products.After that I have showing up in the DIM

20-40 new files to download
    5-20 updated files
    5-10 files that I purchased a year ago and now are added to the DIM

Most of the time when installing I remember that I purchased photoshop or vue content.
    The issue here are often the 5-10 files I purchased a year ago. It happend several times that I did not notice them between all the other downloads.

Now that not only DAZ content is available this could make matters worse in so many ways.
    Files get installed in the wrong location without me even noticing.

From that point of view it would seem great to have some kind of visual guide that tells the user:

"Watch out you are not only installing DAZ content there are also files for other applications in your list that need a different treatment"

- - -

Anyway. This just as an example how users use the DIM.

I do not know how many people in the DAZ store buy DAZ content, vue content and photoshop brushes.
    And I do not know how many of those people are actually using the DIM.

So treat this as user feedback from one of those few who will end up having many different types of installers in their download list at the same time.

Up to DAZ to deceide if it is worth the time to help improve the situation by adding some more functionality to deal with those different kind of installers or if there are other more pressing matters at hand.

Post edited by linvanchene on
  • DAZ_SpookyDAZ_Spooky Posts: 3,100
    edited December 1969

The update crashed while attempting to uninstall the previous version, just like with the most recent Daz Studio updates. I'm assuming this is an nvinit*.dll issue again.

Doing a search for "nvinit.dll" on my computer brings up FIFTEEN different .dll files, some of them called "nvinit.dll", and some of them "nvinitx.dll". Am I expected to rename all of these?

Oh bugger it, i'll just delete the uninstallers like last time, it's easier that way and it hasn't caused any issues yet.

EDIT: Well great. After redownloading and reinstalling it (because the failed install attempt rendered it unusable), now the manager won't even recognise the fact that there's been an update, and is now stick at version 1.0.0.112. Is there any reason why this update is only available as an automatic update, and not as a downloadable installer?

In your Product Library is the installer.

You can work around nVinit in most cases by disabling the automatic choice for which video card to use and telling it to use one or the other.

edited December 1969

I autoupdated but I get nothing but "download failed" errors or DIM crashes. I do appreciate updates to help in the long run, I really do. But I know I am now locked into at least 30 minutes to an hour of reading posts and trying to understand why DIM is no longer working for me. That's time I don't have right now. Frustrating.
    The server, with the DS Release, is experiencing more traffic than expected.

Thanks for that.

In fact this is in the top two traffic days in the past several years.

The Web team is working on a solution and expect to have it in place in the next half hour.

Sorry about the inconvenience.

• jerhamjerham Posts: 153
    edited May 2013

Need some help/advice. It seems DIM is being creative with install locations.

First of all my setup, i do not use the default install folders but folders on a different hard-drive. This worked fine and with no issues. Until now that is.

Upgraded DIM, gave no errors etc and everything looked ok.
    Upgraded Studio to 4.6
    Downloaded the new content (genesis starter Essentials) and some other with DIM
    Installed the new content updates with option Respective "installed"Paths selected.

But for some reason DIM did not install to the expected path (H://DAZCONTENT), but to the default "documents/DAZ 3D/Studio/My library" folder.

The default folder is NOT in my installation paths or in DAZ Studio!!

Any one advice what to do?

2.png
    679 x 662 - 43K
    1.png
    583 x 492 - 16K
    Post edited by jerham on
    edited December 1969

HI :)

I buy so much content that each file that is not categorized and installed properly at the day of purchase is a file that will probably be lost forever because I forget I even purchased it.

I'm with you on that :)

It's shocking how many things I didn't know I had LOL

I think that most people will have more Daz/Poser content, and a few other products for different applications,.

So, once the user has installed DIM, and set up the Application paths. that should be it,. ..Unless they want to customise the install location for individual products,. for specific (Non Daz / Poser) applications.
    you can hit Go at that point and Dim will download and install all Daz content to your "my Daz3D Library", all Poser content to your "poser runtime", all carrara content to your Carrara program, all Bryce content to Bryce etc, ..because it can identify the product type, and it knows where that application is located.

So for most,, it should be ..Open dim, and hit go. ..that will download and install all the different products to the folders which the user has defined for that application.

As with the DS "plugins" like the PS Bridge, ..Dim will install parts of that into Daz Studio, and parts into Photoshop,
    If the user doesn't' have both of those Applications, then the plugin will not install to a random location, such as your "My Library", simply because that's what the default setting was when you hit go.

It is possible for you to install a (non content) product,. for example a tutorial in PDF, or a merchant resource. into your library, or any other folder you've specified.
    Simply because it's not an item which need to be placed within an application folder structure,. or within a specific folder for that type of product,. it's a user choice, where to place that thing.

Many things can, and should be automated,.. but sometimes you need to have a thinking human there, to make the occasional decisions :) .... but development is ongoing as far as I'm aware, and all feedback will be taken into account

it's probably more important right now for the Developers to figure out why some people are having issues downloading / installing, or logging into DIM, and get those dealt with first.

get it working,. ...then get it working better :)

:)

edited December 1969

jerham said:

First of all my setup, i do not use the default install folders but folders on a different hard-drive. This worked fine and with no issues. Until now that is.

Upgraded Studio to 4.6
    Installed the new content updates with option Respective "installed"Paths selected.

But for some reason DIM did not install to the expected path (H://DAZCONTENT), but to the default "documents/DAZ 3D/Studio/My library" folder.

Uninstall them. choose the files and under details make sure it has your proper path picked. It should then install to the correct place.
    edited December 1969

jerham said:

Upgraded Studio to 4.6

Uninstall them. choose the files and under details make sure it has your proper path picked. It should then install to the correct place.

Thank you for the quick reply, manually uninstalled the new updates and manually reinstalled them with the right pathes selected. That solved it.

But i find it strange that content is being installed to a non existing folder (in DIM and DAZ). The Respective "installed"paths option makes it easier when updating with several folders. Could there be a issue with this in the new version and this option?

edited December 1969

jerham said:
    jerham said:

Upgraded Studio to 4.6

Thank you for the quick reply, manually uninstalled the new updates and manually reinstalled them with the right pathes selected. That solved it.

But i find it strange that content is being installed to a non existing folder (in DIM and DAZ). The Respective "installed"paths option makes it easier when updating with several folders. Could there be a issue with this in the new version and this option?I haven't seen that. I'll have to discuss it with the programmers and see if it remembers the "Default" path even if you delete it.

• SpitSpit Posts: 2,342
    edited May 2013

Everything went smoothly for me. By the time I got to it, the full update was ready and it installed without a hitch. My only problem was that the free new shader for 4.6 didn't come down in DIM, though everything else did. I went to my Prod library and downloaded the DIM file directly to its directory and the DIM picked it up in the Ready to Install column.

I hope that's copacetic and won't mess anything up down the line.

(Edited to add, it all went smoothly except for download speeds. Wow. Seems like everyone on the internet discovered Studio today.)

Post edited by Spit on
    edited December 1969

Spit said:
    Everything went smoothly for me. By the time I got to it, the full update was ready and it installed without a hitch. My only problem was that the free new shader for 4.6 didn't come down in DIM, though everything else did. I went to my Prod library and downloaded the DIM file directly to its directory and the DIM picked it up in the Ready to Install column.

I hope that's copacetic and won't mess anything up down the line.

(Edited to add, it all went smoothly except for download speeds. Wow. Seems like everyone on the internet discovered Studio today.)

That will work correctly and update correctly.

edited December 1969

The servers should experience no more issues, but please expect download speeds to be a little slow.

edited December 1969

DAZ said:
    jerham said:
    DAZ said:
    jerham said:

But i find it strange that content is being installed to a non existing folder (in DIM and DAZ). The Respective "installed"paths option makes it easier when updating with several folders. Could there be a issue with this in the new version and this option?I haven't seen that. I'll have to discuss it with the programmers and see if it remembers the "Default" path even if you delete it.

Just figured it out what happened. This was/is not a DIM issue! But the person behind the computer....please forgive me ;-)

In short, originally i had my DAZ starter content in its default location. After buying a new hard-drive several months ago i did it the easy way and just moved the folder to the new drive and deleted/changed the paths from DIM and DAZ studio. According to DIM the Original path was still my library,

Sorry for the inconvenience...

• TheNathanParableTheNathanParable Posts: 984
    edited December 1969

The update crashed while attempting to uninstall the previous version, just like with the most recent Daz Studio updates. I'm assuming this is an nvinit*.dll issue again.

Doing a search for "nvinit.dll" on my computer brings up FIFTEEN different .dll files, some of them called "nvinit.dll", and some of them "nvinitx.dll". Am I expected to rename all of these?

Oh bugger it, i'll just delete the uninstallers like last time, it's easier that way and it hasn't caused any issues yet.

EDIT: Well great. After redownloading and reinstalling it (because the failed install attempt rendered it unusable), now the manager won't even recognise the fact that there's been an update, and is now stick at version 1.0.0.112. Is there any reason why this update is only available as an automatic update, and not as a downloadable installer?

You can work around nVinit in most cases by disabling the automatic choice for which video card to use and telling it to use one or the other.

I don't have that option, as I have only one graphics card and no integrated graphics.

• atryeuatryeu Posts: 612
    edited December 1969

3DAGE said:
    HI atryeu

I think we all know what it can be like on Dial up,. but,. if you compare the download size of the "occasional" update to Dim,. with the file size of your average 3D product,. it's really quire small,.

If you compare it to genesis starter essentials, (around 400mb) it pales into insignificance.

but it will tell you that there is a update available (when there is one) and it will automatically download it for you, and install it.

You can also choose to work (offline) with DIM,. to manage your files,. but you'll still need to go on-line to download your products, and that would trigger the DIM update download install process.

With internet Cafe's, with high speed broadband, and the availability of USB sticks, with multi GigaByte capacities.

I already know everything you said, I'm not new to Daz, DIM or the computer world. In most cases, yeah, programs don't update often, but it's the point. I don't want to be using the program and suddenly have it decide to start an update on me. If I'm opening the program it's to try and download a couple smaller files, which I never do anymore anyway. The day they put resume support in is the day I'll be more interested in using it.

The point is, NOTHING should ever force you to auto update. Doesn't matter what program it is, if it's Daz or not, NO program should ever force that on you. Chrome used to and I had to spend hours deleting and altering some of the files to prevent it from updating on me every week or two, which was also a 30mb file by the way. When your attempting to do something else online with dialup and you suddenly have something attempting to download something else without your permission, whatever you were doing at the time comes to a standstill. Pages don't load online, if you were downloading something else that tends to drop and generally you can't resume a download without a manager these days (and even then a lot of sites don't have resume support anymore).

As far as the area I live in is concerned, an internet "cafe" doesn't exist. There's a library, 2 towns over (30+ minutes drive) that has changed things to the point where you can't hardly use them anymore because some dumb kids had abused them.... not that they had "high speed access" anyway, the download speed, on a good day, was about 120kb/sec. Faster than dialup, but not fast enough to get anything over 100mb. My 2nd issue is that I have no transportation to get there even if I wanted to go. Even if I could get somewhere, all we really have in town is a few wi-fi hotspots with time limits and I lack any sort of device to connect and download with when I do have a ride to town.

So, as I was saying..... it's just the point. I could waste 3 hours to download the update (if it even lets me... I had to have a bit of outside help with it because Daz's servers since their "upgrade" don't like dialup and I can't hardly download a single thing from their site anymore without the downloads being dropped constantly). If I want to waste my time to get the update, I want to do it when I want, not whenever the program feels like it wants.

edited December 1969

I don't have that option, as I have only one graphics card and no integrated graphics.In most cases with nVinit. :) Apparently you fall outside most cases.

Without dual video cards, which are usually on laptops with nVidia cards that are less than 3 years old, and Desktops with Ivy Bridge Processors and nVidia cards, we haven't seen this issue.

Note that if you have an Ivy Bridge processor and an nVidia card you have two video cards, whether you know it or not.

edited December 1969

atryeu said:
    3DAGE said:
    HI atryeu

I already know everything you said, I'm not new to Daz, DIM or the computer world. In most cases, yeah, programs don't update often, but it's the point. I don't want to be using the program and suddenly have it decide to start an update on me. If I'm opening the program it's to try and download a couple smaller files, which I never do anymore anyway. The day they put resume support in is the day I'll be more interested in using it.

The point is, NOTHING should ever force you to auto update. Doesn't matter what program it is, if it's Daz or not, NO program should ever force that on you. Chrome used to and I had to spend hours deleting and altering some of the files to prevent it from updating on me every week or two, which was also a 30mb file by the way. When your attempting to do something else online with dialup and you suddenly have something attempting to download something else without your permission, whatever you were doing at the time comes to a standstill. Pages don't load online, if you were downloading something else that tends to drop and generally you can't resume a download without a manager these days (and even then a lot of sites don't have resume support anymore).

As far as the area I live in is concerned, an internet "cafe" doesn't exist. There's a library, 2 towns over (30+ minutes drive) that has changed things to the point where you can't hardly use them anymore because some dumb kids had abused them.... not that they had "high speed access" anyway, the download speed, on a good day, was about 120kb/sec. Faster than dialup, but not fast enough to get anything over 100mb. My 2nd issue is that I have no transportation to get there even if I wanted to go. Even if I could get somewhere, all we really have in town is a few wi-fi hotspots with time limits and I lack any sort of device to connect and download with when I do have a ride to town.

So, as I was saying..... it's just the point. I could waste 3 hours to download the update (if it even lets me... I had to have a bit of outside help with it because Daz's servers since their "upgrade" don't like dialup and I can't hardly download a single thing from their site anymore without the downloads being dropped constantly). If I want to waste my time to get the update, I want to do it when I want, not whenever the program feels like it wants. It doesn't force you to update, if you don't want to update, don't update. However only the current version is supposed to connect to the store. Primarily this is a security issue.

• TheNathanParableTheNathanParable Posts: 984
    edited December 1969

I don't have that option, as I have only one graphics card and no integrated graphics.In most cases with nVinit. :) Apparently you fall outside most cases.

Without dual video cards, which are usually on laptops with nVidia cards that are less than 3 years old, and Desktops with Ivy Bridge Processors and nVidia cards, we haven't seen this issue.

Note that if you have an Ivy Bridge processor and an nVidia card you have two video cards, whether you know it or not.

Well I don't have an Ivy bridge processor, it's and Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-2500K CPU @ 3.30GHz (4 CPUs), ~3.6GHz.