Genesis to Poser .CR2 Competition

Comments

• KeryaKerya Posts: 10,943
    edited July 2012

fivecat said:
    Winners have to post a new render featuring their winnings? Darn - do you think that if I snuck back tot he first post and added that, anyone would notice? ;) 'cos that would have made a smashing rule!

Hey, you are VERY flexible on the rules for contestants, I think that should also apply to you too, right? Hee hee -- that means you can change the rules a little on the fly too. Yeah, do it! And, EVERY item in the bundles has to be used in one or more images. How's that for a rule? :lol:

ROTFL - crash your computer ...
    By the way: Benjamin for M5, who is part of the M5 Pro bundle, does have P9 materials ...
    http://www.daz3d.com/shop/benjamin-for-m5/

Post edited by Kerya on
  • Cliff BowmanCliff Bowman Posts: 1,677
    edited July 2012

Kerya said:
    fivecat said:
    Winners have to post a new render featuring their winnings? Darn - do you think that if I snuck back tot he first post and added that, anyone would notice? ;) 'cos that would have made a smashing rule!

Hey, you are VERY flexible on the rules for contestants, I think that should also apply to you too, right? Hee hee -- that means you can change the rules a little on the fly too. Yeah, do it! And, EVERY item in the bundles has to be used in one or more images. How's that for a rule? :lol:

ROTFL - crash your computer ...
    By the way: Benjamin for M5, who is part of the M5 Pro bundle, does have P9 materials ...
    http://www.daz3d.com/shop/benjamin-for-m5/

Which frees me up to say that some PAs are looking to provide native Poser support for Genesis with their products, as that is obviously no longer a secret so can't break any NDAs :D

Obviously Genesis .CR2 exporter support can only go so far - but some PAs are trying to push the boundaries where they can, and put in the extra work to save us effort :D

Cheers,

Cliff

Post edited by Cliff Bowman on
  • Velvet GoblinVelvet Goblin Posts: 532
    edited July 2012

Rosie D

Hi. Yes, you were definately past deadline, and your image was oversized too. But I like it so much that I'm asking DAZ for their opinion on stretching the point and allowing it. I'm generally not a very rulesy guy, but I'm aware that DAZ effectively changing the rules in the past has been a point of contention, and as I personally have one vote and like your image there's a reasonable chance that another contestant could lose out on winning anything if we allow your image.

If any of the other contestants have an opinion on whether Rosie's image should be allowed to sneak in or not, please let me know - you can do so via PM if you'd rather it was private, and it would probably help us to come to "the right decision".

Rosie, it's too late to edit your post and take the image down, I have a copy on my local hard drive now.

Rosie's wasn't the only oversize image - but I did mention that I wanted to take a relaxed attitude to that, and the forum accepted the images so they're all valid from that perspective as far as I'm concerned. The emphasis should be on making nice imagery and having fun doing it IMHO, rather than fussily ticking checkbox after checkbox. Having said which, I'm surprised how many of MY personal checkboxes - things I like - were ticked :D

Cheers,

Cliff

Well, I was going to enter the competition, but could see that I would not have a render ready in time (thanks to too many exploding conversions), so I didn't bother to finish, and abandoned the project at midnight.

I think you should just extend the contest for another week for everyone.

But I don't want to be a sourpuss and deny someone else the chance to win prizes that I actually already possess. So if extending for a few more days isn't an option, I wouldn't complain -- carry on, please. :)

Post edited by Velvet Goblin on
    edited December 1969

Well, I was going to enter the competition, but could see that I would not have a render ready in time (thanks to too many exploding conversions), so I didn't bother to finish, and abandoned the project at midnight.

I think you should just extend the contest for another week for everyone.

But I don't want to be a sourpuss and deny someone else the chance to win prizes that I actually already possess. So if extending for a few more days isn't an option, I wouldn't complain -- carry on, please. :)

Hmmm... I'm in a slightly difficult position here - while I'd love to see more good Poser renders of Genesis, I'm reluctant to turn this into one of DAZ's famous rolling-deadline efforts. It seems to me to be one thing to let the dealing slip a few hours to include all the renders that were visible when I woke up on the relevant day and another to accept completely new posts.

I'll tell you what I'll do - if three or more of the entrants come back to me to approve of extending the deadline significantly - another week from when the decision is made, say - BEFORE DAZ weigh in with their final votes on the images, then I'll extend it (assuming DAZ allow it). These can be on-forum or via PM. If DAZ finalise their votes (and judging isn't as easy as I'd been hoping - I personally have two in position #3 because I just couldn't choose between them) OR if three or more people (including entrants) contact me to say no-go on the extra week then the competition will remain closed, as it is now.

How does that sound? I'm trying to be reasonable to everyone and to be honest I think that the winners deserve to get their gifts sooner rather than later :)

Cheers,

Cliff

• wimvdb_dc63ee9ce6wimvdb_dc63ee9ce6 Posts: 183
    edited December 1969

I don't mind extending the deadline. A few more entries would be nice

edited December 1969

I don't mind either.

• edited December 1969

Well, I oppose it and sent my reasoning via PM. I wouldn't mind seeing more renders, but don't think the competition needs to be extended for that, that is why we have so many themed render threads, its already 5 days past the end date and reopening things now just doesn't sit right. But that is only my opinion.

edited July 2012

Well, I oppose it and sent my reasoning via PM. I wouldn't mind seeing more renders, but don't think the competition needs to be extended for that, that is why we have so many themed render threads, its already 5 days past the end date and reopening things now just doesn't sit right. But that is only my opinion.

Your reasoning is sound. At *this* point, it's hard to argue with you.

I don't think that renders should be accepted after deadline at all. But once you've started down that path, it's hard to backtrack.

Hopefully Daz can institute the blind judging that it used to have with the monthly galleries. I always thought they were well thought out and fair.

I can probably enter the render I nearly finished in another contest on another site. It seems to fit in with a number of other themes. So it's not a huge loss for me.

• edited December 1969

Your reasoning is sound. At *this* point, it's hard to argue with you.

I don't think that renders should be accepted after deadline at all. But once you've started down that path, it's hard to backtrack.

Hopefully Daz can institute the blind judging that it used to have with the monthly galleries. I always thought they were well thought out and fair.

I can probably enter the render I nearly finished in another contest on another site. It seems to fit in with a number of other themes. So it's not a huge loss for me.

I normally agree about deadlines, but given the whole timezone thing, I didn't see any real urgency to object to a render that was posted before the sponsor could come in and say 'that's it and it's been fun folks' . True that anyone who feels they might be a real contender ( not me lol ) could develop bad feelings about that , but I do see that as different than reopening everything a couple or even a few days after things have closed out, I might even have had a slightly different opinion (hard to say) if there had been a ton of people before things ended saying they just had to have more time and the decision had been made then, but there weren't, the idea didn't even come up until the 4th.

Anyway, I don't see it as any source of argument and I didn't figure it was anything that would personally hurt you as you stated you already had the prize goodies.

It was just a matter of actually having a feeling on the question and feeling I had better speak up when asked. And, hey, who knows, right now I am a minority and it certainly isn't my decision to make, so it could still wind up happening. :)

As for judging, hehe, that is a whole different subject for another day and not one I worry about in these things, since 9 times out of 10 signatures on images are allowed, I don't think there has ever been any such thing as blind judging and things have always worked out well enough.

edited December 1969

Well, I'd have replied to the thread sooner, I think, if it hadn't been so hard to find in the forums. More than half the time, search simply does not work for me, and I couldn't remember the title of the thread. I'm pretty sure it wasn't stickied earlier.

I remember back when I used to enter the Daz monthly contests (in 2004-2007), signatures were forbidden on entries. It helped prevent the competitions from becoming nothing more than popularity contests.

Anyway, it doesn't matter at this point because I'll be entering the image elsewhere. :)

• edited December 1969

Well, as I said, I am only one opinion and a minority at this point and it is general not personal, so whether you choose to wait for the official ruling or enter the pic elsewhere, I wish you all the best of luck. :)

edited July 2012

Well, as I said, I am only one opinion and a minority at this point and it is general not personal, so whether you choose to wait for the official ruling or enter the pic elsewhere, I wish you all the best of luck. :)

You might be in a minority on-thread, but you don't know what's in my PM box ;)

DAZ have set about judging based on the entries that have already been made, and have my votes. The competition is now double-secret-probation officially closed. New images would be wonderful to see, but won't be eligable for this compo. I'm a PA rather than a DAZ official - I can be capricious if I want to! ;) backtracking is easy. You just turn around and follow your own breadcrumbs...

Great to hear that at least one render inspired by this thread is going to win - I mean, be entered - in another competition though! PLEASE come back and post a copy here when you're able to.

This thread has been stickied in the Poser-specific forum since day one. I don't know when or how, but somebody managed to get it cross-linked into The Commons as well, so it shows up in either forum - which is great from my point of view but sinc eI only found out by accident I don't know when that happened or whether it was stickied there at the same time or if that happened later :(

Cheers - and good luck to everyone that entered. Especially the 4 images that I voted in the top 3 ;)

Cheers,

Cliff

edited July 2012

Great to hear that at least one render inspired by this thread is going to win - I mean, be entered - in another competition though! PLEASE come back and post a copy here when you're able to.

I shall. And thanks for the vote of confidence! :) I'm actually quite fond of it -- but, of course, I'm hopelessly biased. Since I wasn't entering it here, I did postwork it, though not to fix clothing or figure issues, or anything like that. I let your lovely script + tutorial +additional helpful tips do that.

• edited December 1969

Here's a simple one to celebrate summer while I continue to test out clothing.

summercelebration.jpg
    1003 x 1000 - 396K
    edited December 1969

Lovely! :)

• edited December 1969

evil, that is a cute render -- are those fireflies behind the tent? Love to see fireflies on a summer evening.

I hope winners are announced soon. I want to see some renders with so many goody products that the winner's computers gag. Hee hee.

edited December 1969

I hope they're announced soon too - I think the folks at DAZ might be a bit busy running around putting out fires :(

Oh - and if you win a prize, you KNOW we're going to hold YOU to the "one scene with everything in it", don't you?

:D

Cheers,

Cliff

edited July 2012

A quick update from the powers that be - we're hoping for judging to be copmplete by the end of the week.

So - start working out what you're going to render up for us :D

Cheers,

Cliff

• edited December 1969

Thank you Kerya and fivecat.

Best of luck to everyone.

Here's one that was an interesting experience, when I converted the Genesis MFD the entire bottom of it just vanished. lol It follows morphs okay (the granny lady is wearing it) and the dress morphs work, but it became a knee length dress. Don't ask me, I'm not that technical. hehe Anyway, this one is Genesis and three Poser figures... Waiting for the Same Bus

waitingforthesamebus.jpg
    1200 x 1000 - 483K
    edited December 1969

Hey wow! I like that! They are looking like real humans.
    Did you do the posing yourself?

• edited July 2012

Thanks. The posing is a combination that I've taken to using in the last couple of years... I figure out what I am going to want everyone doing, then flip on limits for the figure and run through my pose runtime, pick something sort of close, apply it via universal pose, then turn off limits and adjust the head, neck, arms, hands, legs and feet from there.

Post edited by evilgidget_2000_394cf150da on
    edited December 1969

That's about the way I am posing too. Use a close premade one and adjust. :)

edited December 1969

That's just great - odd about the dress, but odd seems par for the course around here (and that's yet another clothing item I probably don't have :( )

Starting with a preset of any type - from a pose to lighting and everything in-between - is a good way to cut down on the effort invovled in getting anything done, especially with something like Poser.

I think the learning process generally goes something like this:

Noob - unable to do anything "from scratch", uses presets entirely.
    Experienced - takes presets and adjusts.
    "Expert" - creates everything from scratch.
    Pro - takes presets and adjusts when they can, creates only stuff that isn't already available from scratch.

Of course, the "Expert" setting in that list may not be correctly sited, but on the whole I think we generally travel that path, learning until we can make it all ourselves before realising that using a preset to start with is NOT the work of the devil - it's a timesaving device. 3D is all about time and effort saving! Stick a paintbrush in my hand and I'm in REAL trouble!

Cheers,

Cliff

edited July 2012

Just a very quick update to a script that changes limits on Genesis to more closely resemble those on V4:

http://www.who3d.com/tuts/LimitsV4.py

should now match or exceed V4 limits all the way to hands and feet.

This script isn't part of the tutorial but was created in response to a post over at Renderosity. I beleive there's more that could be done to improve compatability between Genesis and V4 poses, but this is just a quick hack to help the process along and cut down on what some people are doing manually. I'd save Genesis back tot he library after adjusting the limits with this tool.

Cheers,

Cliff

edited December 1969

Thanks, Cliff. It will be very helpful, indeed.

edited December 1969

Thank you!

I like your Noob to Pro comparison. :lol:
    Where do you put in the vendors who make "from scratch" to sell things? ;)

edited December 1969

Kerya said:
    Where do you put in the vendors who make "from scratch" to sell things? ;)

Vendors are a tricky case becuase some of them are obviously Pro or Pro+ level (e.g. StoneMason) while some vendors... are a lower level. On average I'd say we surround the "Pro" category - above, below, and to either side. That way we can gang up on any Pro who gets too big for his or her boots ;) (or welcome them to the vendors club).

Cheers,

Cliff

edited July 2012

Noob - unable to do anything "from scratch", uses presets entirely.
    Experienced - takes presets and adjusts.
    "Expert" - creates everything from scratch.
    Pro - takes presets and adjusts when they can, creates only stuff that isn't already available from scratch.

So there are no expert or pro users, then? Only content creators and modellers get that distinction? How about those who model well, but can't really script? Or those who can model and script, but aren't so great at texturing? Or those that can model, script, and texture, but haven't produced a worthwhile render for years?

I realize we owe the content creators a great deal for their work at making our digital hobby affordable. But let's not forget that if the market were only made up of other creators, the well would run dry pretty quick. Surely people who make great art can be a pro as well, without needing to create everything from scratch. A little respect for the users, please.

Then again, maybe you only really get to call yourself a pro when you code the software. ;) *Hats off to team Daz*

edited July 2012

So there are no expert or pro users, then? Only content creators and modellers get that distinction?

Hah! Were that the case we'd be in a sorry state. Nah - it's more like "Content Creator" is a different classification. Like... I dunno. All ducks are birds but not all birds are ducks, and birds can have blue feathers (or not) whether they are ducks or not. But that level of complexity is hard to achieve in a 4-line list ;)

As for scripting... that's yet another can of worms. Very wriggly ones. And tutorial authors are a whole other set. We'd need some kind of multi-dimensional Venn Diagram...

Cheers,

Cliff

edited December 1969

So there are no expert or pro users, then? Only content creators and modellers get that distinction?

Hah! Were that the case we'd be in a sorry state. Nah - it's more like "Content Creator" is a different classification. Like... I dunno. All ducks are birds but not all birds are ducks, and birds can have blue feathers (or not) whether they are ducks or not. But that level of complexity is hard to achieve in a 4-line list ;)

I think maybe we need Ken's help to work out the taxonomic subtleties. :)

I shall have to consider myself a flightless avian, I suppose. But I insist that I'm a still a solid waddler.