!!New Poser 10 and PP2014

124»

Comments

• Satira CapriccioSatira Capriccio Posts: 523
    edited December 1969

Genesis with DSON has bending and mesh problems in Poser ... even with all the Poser SRs applied and the current version of DSON. Issues which have been reported and remain unsolved.

DAZ put a lot of effort into getting Genesis to work in Poser, and that really is appreciated. However, DSON is still just a workaround to get Genesis somewhat functional in Poser. After all that, DSON is NOT fun to use. I also have less control over my scenes with Genesis than I do with Gen 4, and it's harder to fix the Genesis bending and mesh problems than it is to fix the Gen 4 bending and mesh problems.

The NOT RECOMMENDED and NOT SUPPORTED way is the only way I will use Genesis in Poser. Not that I really care all that much about using Genesis in Poser because of the DSON and Genesis issues. But since I spent entirely too much money on Genesis after DSON was introduced, I'd like to get some use out of that money, even if it's using Genesis in a way that isn't recommended nor supported by DAZ. The warning that this workaround isn't recommended nor supported by DAZ has been noted. But, Poser users are pretty much on their own anyway with Genesis.

The only reason I see to use Genesis is to be able to continue spending outrageous amounts of money at DAZ. DAZ may once again develop a figure as impressive, fun to use, and as functional in Poser as Gen 4, but there are enough third party figures (and of course, Gen 4), that it doesn't really matter. With the ability to use any well made clothing on any figure, Poser users are no longer as dependent on whether vendors support our favorite figures.

WimvdB said:
    WimvdB said:
    I have had no bending problems - no more as with dson genesis in poser. The only time I used UV map switching was when the supplied uvmap was different, not because I wanted to. Geocrafting is done in DSON as a conformer last time I checked, can be done in Poser as well. Morph projection can easily be solved with the morph brush. Adding morphs is the one thing which might be missing, but I have not tried to do the Copy Morph and use a fully loaded genesis as source - that might work as well

But I was replying to someone who had a problem with the fitting roon, not a shootout about features

And I am telling you that your "solution" is not recommended, and that is the Official Word. You are the one that tried to claim it works the same, and your understanding of Genesis features is incorrect.

Morph projection, telling the clothing to adopt the morphs of the underlying figure even though the morphs don't exist in the clothing, is easily done with the morph brush? That one you are going to have to demonstrate.

Just check the videos on http://poser.smithmicro.com/poser10-poserpro2014/ at the bottom. The ones for morph brush and copy morphs. The copy gets the morphs into the clothing, the morph brush adjusts the poke through when posing

Again, I never said that it is the same. I just said you can use genesis without dson.

But this is turning into a feature war which I do not want - especially not in a DAZ forum with a DAZ employee.
    If you want to discuss this privately sent me a PM and I am happy to discuss this with you

Again, to be simple and blunt. Your concept of how to use Genesis in Poser is NOT RECOMMENDED and NOT SUPPORTED.

I am sorry you have a problem with that, but it is that simple.

• DoricDoric Posts: 80
    edited May 2013

_..._

Post edited by Doric on
  • WandWWandW Posts: 2,785
    edited December 1969

WimvdB said:

Just check the videos on http://poser.smithmicro.com/poser10-poserpro2014/ at the bottom. The ones for morph brush and copy morphs. The copy gets the morphs into the clothing, the morph brush adjusts the poke through when posing

Again, I never said that it is the same. I just said you can use genesis without dson.

But this is turning into a feature war which I do not want - especially not in a DAZ forum with a DAZ employee.
    If you want to discuss this privately sent me a PM and I am happy to discuss this with you

Again, to be simple and blunt. Your concept of how to use Genesis in Poser is NOT RECOMMENDED and NOT SUPPORTED.

I am sorry you have a problem with that, but it is that simple.

Gee, I recall learning how to do it from a DAZ video... Oh, here it is, posted by Britney, narrated by Randall Lloyd...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XDYEvSb7jQs

Wim and I were using Genesis on Poser long before DSON...

• KerwinKerwin Posts: 124
    edited December 1969

Ah, how soon they forget . . .

%-P

edited December 1969

Now that I think about it, DAZ sells a product to assist in using a Genesis cr2 in Poser...

http://www.daz3d.com/genesis-to-poser-cr2

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 96,843
    edited December 1969

It was, however, clear and admitted that the route was less than ideal and the DSON Importer is closer to ideal in that it opens more of the functions of TriAx figures. However, I don't think Spooky is saying you can't use the CR2 route, if the limitations don't bother you and/or the advantages (such as speed) outweigh them - just that it isn't the recommended or supported route. As always it's up to the user to decide whether it's more fun to follow the marked routes or to go off-piste.

• icprncssicprncss Posts: 3,694
    edited December 1969

It was, however, clear and admitted that the route was less than ideal and the DSON Importer is closer to ideal in that it opens more of the functions of TriAx figures. However, I don't think Spooky is saying you can't use the CR2 route, if the limitations don't bother you and/or the advantages (such as speed) outweigh them - just that it isn't the recommended or supported route. As always it's up to the user to decide whether it's more fun to follow the marked routes or to go off-piste.

In the beginning it was the recommended and supported route as it was the only route.

edited December 1969

icprncss said:

In the beginning it was the recommended and supported route as it was the only route.

Yes, it was - but it was also acknowledged, as far as I recall, to have a number of deficiencies; it was offered as a workaround, not a full solution.

• icprncssicprncss Posts: 3,694
    edited December 1969

icprncss said:

Yes, it was - but it was also acknowledged, as far as I recall, to have a number of deficiencies; it was offered as a workaround, not a full solution.

The DSON is a full solution? Isn't it really just another workaround?

• frank0314frank0314 Posts: 13,380
    edited December 1969

He just said it wasn't a full solution and was only a workaround

edited December 1969

It's, for features, a more complete solution than the CR2 route. Depending on how speedy or otherwise it is on your system it may even be a fairly good solution, though it obviously still lacks some features (smoothing modifiers, for example).

• Dream CutterDream Cutter Posts: 1,222
    edited May 2013

The HARD COPY Poser Pro 2014 Arrived today in today's post. Yipeee! Its heavy...

EDIT - Opens hard ard shell DVD case, finds: 2 DVDs ( Apparently Win and Mac Versions of the software), Printed License # Stckers, Registration return card, Renderosity Invite card w/ Coupie for Anastisia, Printed Quick Start Guide, 30 pages in color. qual fold glossie card cheat-sheet reference card, Poser Pro Emblems and Logo Sticker Sheet, RuntimeDNA Syyd Raven Promo Card, and SM Miki4 Promo Card. Wow!

Who needs an early adopter digital badge - I can paste one of these cool badges on my LCD. whoops,,, gooey.:shut:

Post edited by Dream Cutter on
    edited December 1969

I'm so incredibly jealous of you!

But, that means I should see my copy perhaps as early as Tuesday!

The HARD COPY Poser Pro 2014 Arrived today in today's post. Yipeee! Its heavy...

EDIT - Opens hard ard shell DVD case, finds: 2 DVDs ( Apparently Win and Mac Versions of the software), Printed License # Stckers, Registration return card, Renderosity Invite card w/ Coupie for Anastisia, Printed Quick Start Guide, 30 pages in color. qual fold glossie card cheat-sheet reference card, Poser Pro Emblems and Logo Sticker Sheet, RuntimeDNA Syyd Raven Promo Card, and SM Miki4 Promo Card. Wow!

Who needs an early adopter digital badge - I can paste one of these cool badges on my LCD. whoops,,, gooey.:shut:

• Dream CutterDream Cutter Posts: 1,222
    edited May 2013

With luck - Maybe early as monday, it was shipped FedEx ground to Cali with sat delivery. I was pleasantly surprised.

Post edited by Dream Cutter on
  • frank0314frank0314 Posts: 13,380
    edited December 1969

Has anyone come across and bugs or glitches yet.

edited December 1969

Frank0314 said:

I haven't been able to open saved scenes from PP2012 with a DSON figure; it looks for geometry that isn't there.....
    edited December 1969

Except Monday is Memorial Day!

Which is great because it's a work holiday. But sad because no deliveries.

With luck - Maybe early as monday, it was shipped FedEx ground to Cali with sat delivery. I was pleasantly surprised.

• SimonJMSimonJM Posts: 5,945
    edited December 1969

Physical disks just arrived :)

• HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,924
    edited May 2013

Frank0314 said:

yes

the fitting room the morphs don't always transfer
    the morphs will show up on the cloth but don't work
    the workaround for me is to take out one or tow morphs from the list in the fitting room before transferring them
    then it seems to work

the other bug is in the sketch renderer when you try and render at >= 4000 pixels a side you get a vertical artifact that splits the render into 2 different tonal values

the bigger you make the render the further the vertical artifact moves across the render percentage wise

could be a memory or video card issue??? ,but have latest drivers for the Nvidea Gforce and also have 16 gig ram

also the library doesn't pick up my "new" poser content, though Carrara does !

Post edited by Headwax on
  • HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,924
    edited December 1969

wow, I put in a bug report/question on the sketch renderer artifact
    Poser support answered within two hours

amazing service !!!!!!!!!!1!

(answer is 3000 pixels is probably the limit)

• Jay_NOLAJay_NOLA Posts: 1,145
    edited December 1969

Dream Cutter,

if you contact Smith Micro's tech support they can get you an early adopter badge. I had to do that. and they added one for me to download in my Content Paradise account.

Also, the Renderosity Card has a coupon code on it.

edited December 1969

It's here!

It's installed!

What to do first?!?

• KeryaKerya Posts: 10,943
    edited December 1969

Poke around? *grin*

edited December 1969

I played around in the fitting room (don't attempt a body suit with feet as your first experiment).

I've done a dozen or so renders, and have to find the preview thingie. But ... then I got sidetracked with finishing an outfit in Marvelous Designer 2. I'm wondering how well MD2 clothing will work in the fitting room.

Kerya said:
    Poke around? *grin*
  • Consumer573Consumer573 Posts: 282
    edited December 1969

Yeah - there is NO WAY I'm going to use the SM Store digital download. If your burned image fails. they will charge you a fee to download at a later date (6 months down the road.) . They call this download protection! I call it wallet rape. What a racket. You would think they would want you to visit thier site and maintain your account to provide sales content opportunities. I really NEVER get the urge to visit content paradise. The practice encourages you to maintain your downloads on a cloud driive - which you would think SM would _Not_ want you to do.!

Smith Micro's download, "tax", which is only good for one or two years even if you pay it, is the major reason I buy very little at Content Paradise.

That, and a minor bad experience. I once bought a few sale items (without SM's download extortion fee) when on vacation and forgot to download them in a timely manner. Basically, it meant I paid for something I never received. At that point I said, "Nuts to this!" and I just rarely go back there.

• SimonJMSimonJM Posts: 5,945
    edited December 1969

SimonJM said:
    Physical disks just arrived :)

And today I get the 50GBP postage bill .. :(
  • Cobra BladeCobra Blade Posts: 27
    edited December 1969

hard for me to get excited. i was an early adopter of Poser 2012 and haven't enjoyed it much, mainly due to the crappy, slow loading library palette which doesn't appear to be any different using Adobe Air still.

While I can say my D|S days are over and Poser is here to stay I have to admit the time it takes the Libaries tab to load up everything every time you open Poser can be frustrating. It also doesn't play very nice in OS X if your using OpenGL for Previwing rather than SreeD.

It is possible to do without the Libaries tab altogether though, you could close it and use ShaderWorks Library Manager 2 in its place.

• eclark1849eclark1849 Posts: 211
    edited December 1969

hard for me to get excited. i was an early adopter of Poser 2012 and haven't enjoyed it much, mainly due to the crappy, slow loading library palette which doesn't appear to be any different using Adobe Air still.

While I can say my D|S days are over and Poser is here to stay I have to admit the time it takes the Libaries tab to load up everything every time you open Poser can be frustrating. It also doesn't play very nice in OS X if your using OpenGL for Previwing rather than SreeD.

It is possible to do without the Libaries tab altogether though, you could close it and use ShaderWorks Library Manager 2 in its place.

What version of OSX are you using? I'm using 10.6.3, and running PP2014. I wish I had more RAM, but frankly, I'm not having any problems with Preview in either mode.

• Cobra BladeCobra Blade Posts: 27
    edited December 1969

Hey EClark1849,
    I'm running 10.8.4 with 8GB.
    The visual issues between OpenGL and Libaries may be more linked to my video card than the OS version however. My iMac is equipped with a Radeon HD 6750M. What happens if I use OpenGL for previewing, the Libaries tab blacks out and can't be seen again until a restart of Poser... thankfully SreeD mode doesn't have this issue for me.