DAZ Studio Pro BETA (4.6.0.15) Release Candidate!

Comments

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,501
    edited December 1969

I personally rolled back to do some testing on 4.5.1.56 and it worked fine.

The only no no in regards to Program Files is that you cannot count on being able to write to the folder(its usually write protected). Omnifreaker stuff does not need to write over itself, so this is certainly not a problem.

...but Silkessence and Fisty's Sparkles use US/HSS (and dfault install to the Daz3 Runtime in the Daz/Content folder as they are .ds, not .trx installers) which is why I am having issues with 4.5 getting hung up in a loop and kicking back a "Not Responding" error when I try to apply them to some .trx clothing meshes.
  • fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,563
    edited December 1969

Kyoto Kid said:
    I personally rolled back to do some testing on 4.5.1.56 and it worked fine.

The only no no in regards to Program Files is that you cannot count on being able to write to the folder(its usually write protected). Omnifreaker stuff does not need to write over itself, so this is certainly not a problem.

...but Silkessence and Fisty's Sparkles use US/HSS (and dfault install to the Daz3 Runtime in the Daz/Content folder as they are .ds, not .trx installers) which is why I am having issues with 4.5 getting hung up in a loop and kicking back a "Not Responding" error when I try to apply them to some .trx clothing meshes.

Why did you install to the default location?

• JaderailJaderail Posts: 0
    edited May 2013

Kyoto Kid said:
    Um, all my DS4.5 Content including the one I tested for you (Silkessence) is in a DS4.5 only content folder. The location of the files in a DS4.5 content folder are not a problem. I think your over thinking things. DS4.5 reads all my content old or new in the new folder.
    Post edited by Jaderail on
    edited December 1969

...anything that is not a .trx installer (like The Fabricator, Silkessence and Fisty's Sparkles), I direct to my Studio 3/Poser runtime so it can be accessed by 3 Advanced, PoserPro, and Carrara (which interestingly works better with the Poser runtime format instead of the Daz Library one).

When I installed both 3Advanced and 4.5, I specifically directed them to the C:/root (as I had them on my old notebook) since I never use the "Documents" folder for anything (I don't even save Word, Excel, or Access files there). In my experience I found that Daz Studio ran smoother and faster when I had it installed to the C:/Root than some subdirectory be it Programme Files (in XP) or Documents (in Win7). I have no idea why the apps' installers still placed some items in the "Programme Files x86" folder.

edited December 1969

Jaderail said:
    Kyoto Kid said:
    Um, all my DS4.5 Content including the one I tested for you (Silkessence) is in a DS4.5 only content folder. The location of the files in a DS4.5 content folder are not a problem. I think your over thinking things. DS4.5 reads all my content old or new in the new folder.
    ...content like the Fabricator and Fisty's Sparkles were also useable in ver. 3. If I install them to the 4.5 library they will not be accessible in the older version of the app. As I mentioned I still use 3Advanced for some scenes so that I have access to plugins that have not or will not be updated for 4.5.
    edited May 2013

Put them in a FOLDER that you POINT both to DS3 and DS4. Any folder should work.

Personally I do not believe DS3 is working properly with the content in the Programs Files folder, as I said it is a protected folder in Win7.

edited December 1969

...the Fabricator & such are on the D/Runtime drive. It's the Omnifreaker files that are in the Programme Files x86 folder.

• UrdwolfUrdwolf Posts: 26
    edited December 1969

Jaderail said:
    Put them in a FOLDER that you POINT both to DS3 and DS4. Any folder should work.

Personally I do not believe DS3 is working properly with the content in the Programs Files folder, as I said it is a protected folder in Win7.

Oh Windows 7 just likes to lock things away. When I installed it for the first time on my current computer it locked up just about every document folder available. I had to unlock as many as I could manually.

I know DS4 recognizes anywhere that content is stalled. The trouble is that even with some of the DAZ installers content makers are a bit random about how they set up the folders in the My Library section. So now I have about ten different locations to look for stuff. After running a DAZ installer I usually spend at least 5 minutes trying to find where it's put the files.

Part of the problem is that shortly after DS4 came out I ran out of room on my hard drive so I had to set up another 'My Library' on a different drive (And another Runtime because I still use DS3 and want to be able to access compatible content from there). This was fine. I had four locations to look for stuff but some people set up their installers to install to 'My library', while others will install into 'Studio'. I now have at least 10 possible locations for content.

To cap this the 'Smart Content' folder seems to have stopped working since DAZ have changed the way they want us to install stuff :|

edited May 2013

At this time I have four different DS content folders and Five Poser Runtime folders. DS4.5 Reads them all as they are in None protected folders. One is my old DS3 Content folder, in just My Documents, the second is my FREE DS Content on a external F:/Daz Free, the next is the New My DAZ 3D Library in Public. Last is DAZ4 Free in My Documents. The runtimes are all on the External F drive. In different Folders.
    My DS4.5 sees and reads all of them. My DS3A see's and reads all but the DS4.5 folders that only gets DS4.5 compatible content.

I use DIM to install only DS4.5 to the New My DAZ 3D Library folder, I also use it to install only DS3 content to the DS3 Content folder. I hand install Free DS compatible content like items from ShareCG to the Daz Free folders and the Five Poser folders contain my Rendo and other sites content that only contain Poser format content. Any DS supported content will go into to the proper DS folder. I've done it this way from day one and I can use all my content in DS4.5.

I do only use the DS4.5 My DAZ 3D Library in this NEW DS4.5 beta just to test it. I'll map the other folders back when I know I'm 100% happy with it.

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 95,997
    edited December 1969

KK: shaders are dependent on the version of 3Delight, but if they are working in 4.5 you have the versions that have been updated to recompile on the fly and they will not stop you rolling back - the .dsa or whatever files are for applying them, and are usually able to work in any version of DS (it's only the binary files that have an absolute minimum version requirement)., once saved as a scene the settings are there.

• CyrinadiaCyrinadia Posts: 143
    edited December 1969

I do not have the option to choose between card or integrated graphics. My issue came with the installer failing to uninstall the previous version halfway through uninstalling it, causing it to fail every subsequent time.

EDIT: Another problem I encounter with the installation. It fails to install the Daz Content Management Service. It simply says it encountered an error, and then carries on installing the rest of Daz Studio as if nothing happened.

I am having this exact issue myself. After the initial failures, I manually uninstalled everything (it will give me a message partway through that tells me that DS4.6 has stopped working though it has never run...) through the control panel, then I restart computer, when back in, I try reinstalling. DS4.6. It LOOKS like it does the right thing but then does what Bish says on Content manager installation part. After, it says it is installed successfully, I try to run DS4.6 Beta (is this one of the beta bugs?) it gives me this message:

The procedure entry point ?put_LastRecID@QueryResult@vsql@fbl@@QEAAXI@Z could not be located in the dynamic link library VShared_release_x64.dll.

I do have Win 7 x64 so no worries there. Since it doesn't give me a report form, I can't report it through the bug log :(
    Help us please!

edited December 1969

KK: What Omnifreaker files are you having trouble with? They should be in a subfolder of the application folder. Is that where they are?

• ckalan1ckalan1 Posts: 88
    edited December 1969

The CMS stopped working after installation. During the install I got a message saying it could not install the CMS and to contact DAZ support.

Does anyone know how to fix this problem?

Thanks,
    Craig

edited May 2013

KK: What Omnifreaker files are you having trouble with? They should be in a subfolder of the application folder. Is that where they are?

...pretty much the built in HSS ones. In looking around it seems that the Omnifreaker Uber, Surface, and Displacement folders installed to the Programme Files Folder along with a bunch of light, shadow, surface and texture .sdl files. (both 4.5 and 3.1.2.32 Advanced). The CMS is also there as well.

Apparently my instruction to install to the C:/root was ignored as I am finding parts of the application all over the place (including the Documents folder)

In Programme Files x86, there is a Daz3D folder that contains to subfolders labelled Content and Resources. "Content" contains a folder names "People" with the puppeteer presets for Vicky4. In resources are the images for the Puppeteer icons.

Under "Users/My Documents" there is another Daz3D folder that contains folders for Hexagon Studio (I imagine this is for Studio3A) and Studio4. "Studio" only has an empty folder labeled "Render Library" Studio4 has a Folder named Reality "Add Ons". There is also a second My Documents folder that is locked which I cannot access.

In "Users" there is also the "AppData" folder (another named "Application Data" is locked) which contains a subfolder named 'Roaming". Here there is another Daz3D folder that has the following folders in it:

dson (which has the data folders for a number of Genesis related products)
    Hexagon2 (which has a folder named Brushes and several .xml files)
    images (which has the Store Icon)
    Install Manager (which is empty probably because I never used it on this machine)
    Studio3 (which has Daz Built-In-Content, Run Once, Scripts, Shader Builder, and Shader Mixer as well a several scripts
    Studio4 (which has the above + GenX)

On the D;Data drive are all my content, runtime, and scene folders.

Effectively both applications appear to have components "splattered" all over the system so it's no wonder I have still been been running into some stability/crash issues.

Previous to ver3. Daz Studio installed to one location, the Programme Files folder (XP and earlier versions of Windows). I never understood the rationale to split the process up and send some components to a folder primarily reserved for "actual" documents (e.g. Word .doc, Excel .xls files, etc). Now with the folder conventions established by Win7, it has become even more of a mess than it needs to be as I illustrated above.

I just want everything in one place, the C:/Root (like on my notebook). Unfortunately if I uninstall and reinstall (hopefully getting it to go where I want it to this time) I fear paths to find certain operations/plugins used in scenes I am currently working on will be broken.

I feel this is another case of something being "fixed" that wasn't really broken.

Post edited by kyoto kid on
    edited December 1969

I cannot fathom why things install incorrectly for you. I have DS3A (32-bit and 64-bit) and DS4P (64-bit) installed, and nothing ended up anywhere other than the locations I chose or Users\username\AppData\Roaming, which is the correct place for application data to be stored.

edited December 1969

...so just what is this "Users/Roaming" folder I've seen for? There was nothing like that in XP.

While I'm still a bit apprehensive (even though all my content/runtimes are on the D:/Data drive), I feel I probably will need to un-install and try reinstalling the apps again. If I have to do that I might as well go ahead and install 4.6. Just afraid I'll mess up any scenes I am working on if this it creates any path conflicts for the Omnifreaker and Shader Baker stuff (the latter which comes into play when rendering).

As I am the only one with access to this system I have no account setup so again I don't know why so much is locked out even though I am the system administrator. I like to keep things simple, and feel like having to deal with a user logon every time I start up is unnecessary as I live alone. While I proved I can build a system, messing all this new Windows config stuff in 7 (which I didn't need to deal with when I reinstalled XP on my notebook after the HD died) is a bit beyond me.

Makes me almost want to go out and find a copy of XP Pro 64.

edited December 1969

Kyoto Kid said:
    ...so just what is this "Users/Roaming" folder I've seen for? There was nothing like that in XP.

Actually there was: Documents and Settings\username\Application Data

It's the standard place for data which the application modifies, but which is not intended to be visible to the user. Firefox stores its profile there, most applications store settings, logs, and other data there. Take a look.

edited December 1969

Kyoto Kid said:
    As I am the only one with access to this system I have no account setup so again I don't know why so much is locked out even though I am the system administrator. I like to keep things simple, and feel like having to deal with a user logon every time I start up is unnecessary as I live alone. While I proved I can build a system, messing all this new Windows config stuff in 7 (which I didn't need to deal with when I reinstalled XP on my notebook after the HD died) is a bit beyond me.
    Um.. and here is why you have locked folders. You need to use Control Panel to set yourself as Admin. You can also set Win7 to NOT need a password for Single user login's, and set your Admin account to the level of access your comfortable with. Of course doing this will allow anyone who boots the PC full Admin access, but as the only user that should not be a issue for you. I'm set that way as I'm the only user. I have FULL control of all that happens on my PC.
    edited December 1969

...the screwy thing is I already have Admin status, which is why this whole locked folder rubbish that I cannot change makes no sense.

edited May 2013

Kyoto Kid said:
    ...the screwy thing is I already have Admin status, which is why this whole locked folder rubbish that I cannot change makes no sense.
    Have you changed the privilege's? If not the Standard Admin is just a USER with the ability to set privilege's to other user accounts.

In MS talk just a user in charge of other users with that as the only extra access.
  • SpitSpit Posts: 2,342
    edited December 1969

Program Files (and Program Files x86 for 32-bit) is perfectly fine for installing Studio because Studio is XP/7/8 aware. This goes for the CMS as well. The other places you found stuff are valid and suit their purpose as well. And that goes for the shader and uber stuff you found too.

My Studio Content/My Library are in the DAZ3D folder in Documents. All my other runtimes are in My Runtimes in Documents.

I figured out after struggling with XP for a while that I should just go with the flow. It's really easier that way.

edited December 1969

Jaderail said:
    Kyoto Kid said:
    Have you changed the privilege's? If not the Standard Admin is just a USER with the ability to set privilege's to other user accounts.

In MS talk just a user in charge of other users with that as the only extra access.
    ..I'm currently looking at my account type in User Accounts and it definitely shows my status as being Administrator.

Looking at the permissions list just for the "My Documents" folder, there are the following four Group/User names

Everyone
    System
    My account name (with the Computer name\)
    Administrators. (with the Computer name\Adminsitrators)

Everyone shows no permissions allowed
    the other three show everything but "Special Permissions" allowed.

It seems as if even though I am supposedly the system administrator I have no admin control on my own system.

The User accounts screen in the Control Panel seems to be absolutely useless for the only options it lists are:

1. Create a Password (which I don't need as I'm the only one on this system)
    2. Change Picture (useless)
    3. Change Account Type (which only has two choices - Standard User or Administrator)
    4. Manage Another Account (which just lets me turn on a "Guest" account or change my account type as in #3 above)
    5. Change User Account Control Settings (which only relates to programmes making changes to the system)

Is there somewhere else this is done from?

edited December 1969

Kyoto Kid said:
    Jaderail said:
    Kyoto Kid said:

..I'm currently looking at my account type in User Accounts and it definitely shows my status as being Administrator.

Looking at the permissions list just for the "My Documents" folder, there are the following four Group/User names

Everyone
    System
    My account name (with the Computer name\)
    Administrators. (with the Computer name\Adminsitrators)

Everyone shows no permissions allowed
    the other three show everything but "Special Permissions" allowed.

It seems as if even though I am supposedly the system administrator I have no admin control on my own system.

The User accounts screen in the Control Panel seems to be absolutely useless for the only options it lists are:

1. Create a Password (which I don't need as I'm the only one on this system)
    2. Change Picture (useless)
    3. Change Account Type (which only has two choices - Standard User or Administrator)
    4. Manage Another Account (which just lets me turn on a "Guest" account or change my account type as in #3 above)
    5. Change User Account Control Settings (which only relates to programmes making changes to the system)

Is there somewhere else this is done from?If you are set to Admin in the Change Account type and are still locked out of folders then I'm at a loss. Not a clue what is going on.

• SixDsSixDs Posts: 2,384
    edited December 1969

KK:

Am I understanding you correctly that you have configured Win7 to log you on automatically at boot time to the Administrator account? If so, I have another question for you that may be pertinent to the issue that you are having. Which version of Win7 are you running? Home. Pro or Ultimate?

If you are using Pro or Ultimate the problem may lie with the security settings under the Security tab in folder properties. (In the Home version the security tab does not appear, except in Safe Mode.) When you say that you have privileges for everything except "special permissions", do you mean your account shows the Full Control option checked? The special permissions option is normally greyed out unless you have set them by clicking on the Advanced button near the bottom of the dialogue box. Assuming that I have all this straight, the only thing that I can think of that would be causing your problem lies under those Advanced security settings. By any chance are the check boxes showing permissions under the Security tab checked and greyed out? If so, check to see who has ownership of the folder under the advanced settings. If you are not the owner, try to take ownership of the folder. If you are not able to do so, then try unchecking the checkbox near the bottom that specifies permissions are inherited from a parent folder, if it is checked. It will take a few moments, and when it is done confirm that permissions are still the way that you want them and try to see if you have regained control. Hopefully one or the other will have solved your problem, but if not, I'm stumped.

edited May 2013

...I am running Home Premium 64 build 7600.

Yes the system is configured to log me on at boot up as I am the only one who uses it. Hence I really don't see the necessity of inconveniencing myself with passwords & such.

I never had this issue with XP ad the only thing I needed to switch in the control panel settings was being able to view and open hidden folders. My notebook was set up with the same type of login as again, I was the only user on it.

Yes the "Full Control" option has a check mark on it when I view permissions for a given folder (like Application Data which is one of the locked ones). The odd thing it will let me view the Recycle Bin which also has a lock icon on it.. I need to get to Application Data folder to view logfiles as I am experiencing frequent instability issues with 4.5.1.56 where it either locks up when I'm working with surfaces or simply crashes to the desktop with no warning and no error dialogue (like it did a few minutes ago when I was re loading a scene after running a few experiments with the UberArea Lights).

I do notice that the check marks are grey rather than black.

The one question I have, is there a way to do this globally, or do I have to do it for each locked folder?

• timnaastimnaas Posts: 118
    edited December 1969

ckalan1 said:
    The CMS stopped working after installation. During the install I got a message saying it could not install the CMS and to contact DAZ support.

Does anyone know how to fix this problem?

Thanks,
    Craig

I had the same issues several times. Installed and uninstalled multiple times untill it work, but the CMS failed to intall every time.

• timnaastimnaas Posts: 118
    edited December 1969

ROTU said:
    I do not have the option to choose between card or integrated graphics. My issue came with the installer failing to uninstall the previous version halfway through uninstalling it, causing it to fail every subsequent time.

EDIT: Another problem I encounter with the installation. It fails to install the Daz Content Management Service. It simply says it encountered an error, and then carries on installing the rest of Daz Studio as if nothing happened.

I am having this exact issue myself. After the initial failures, I manually uninstalled everything (it will give me a message partway through that tells me that DS4.6 has stopped working though it has never run...) through the control panel, then I restart computer, when back in, I try reinstalling. DS4.6. It LOOKS like it does the right thing but then does what Bish says on Content manager installation part. After, it says it is installed successfully, I try to run DS4.6 Beta (is this one of the beta bugs?) it gives me this message:

The procedure entry point ?put_LastRecID@QueryResult@vsql@fbl@@QEAAXI@Z could not be located in the dynamic link library VShared_release_x64.dll.

I do have Win 7 x64 so no worries there. Since it doesn't give me a report form, I can't report it through the bug log :(
    Help us please!

Ditto here too!

edited December 1969

..OK I see in the product library there is mention this is a bundle that includes the Genesis Starter Essentials however, I heard these didn't need to be updated.

So if I run the installer will it overwrite my current Genesis setups (including the GenX ones) I created?

edited December 1969

Kyoto Kid said:
    ..OK I see in the product library there is mention this is a bundle that includes the Genesis Starter Essentials however, I heard these didn't need to be updated.

So if I run the installer will it overwrite my current Genesis setups (including the GenX ones) I created?

Genesis Starter Essentials hasn't been updated, so you don't need to; in any event, installing it again doesn't remove any add-on morphs, it just overwrites the ones that came with GSE.

edited May 2013

..hmm maybe it will fix the default Genesis I broke which has been loading in 4.5 with the Teen Julie physique.

Ahh....so much better. At the hotspot now, 20 - 25 min to DL instead of 2.4 - 3 hours.

So first I guess I need to run the 4.5 uninstaller manually as I plan to install 4.6 to the C:Root instead of the Documents folder to avoid any possible conflicts with locked folders on my system. I may need to call in an IT tech to deal with the whole WIn7 configuration mess as I really l don't have any idea of what I am doing and don't want to make things worse than they already are.

Hopefully it will put all the built in Uber/HSS lighting, surfacing, and shader content there as well and Not in the Programme Files folder this time.