Hexagon BETA - version 2.5.2.109!

Daz SoftwareDaz Software Posts: 35
edited November 2017 in Hexagon Discussion

Daz 3D is pleased to announce Hexagon BETA - version 2.5.2.109!

Below are highlights that pertain to the current Public Build of Hexagon. We have updates planned for Hexagon in Q1 2018 that include (but are not limited to) 64-bit support, but our current focus is on improving stability. Our plans for Hexagon in 2018 (and the future) are for it to be a key and growing component of our free software offering.

Highlights:

2.5.2.109 (November 29, 2017)

• Installation
    • The Public Build can be installed and co-exist along side the General Release
    • Separate application and content packages can now be downloaded/installed using Daz Install Manager (DIM)
      • BETA versions must be downloaded and installed using Install Manager; BETA versions are not available as a standalone installers
  • Stability
    • Many changes have been made to the core code that are targeted specifically at improving stability
    • Identified and eliminated various crashes
    • Identified and eliminated various memory leaks
    • Performed significant amounts of static code analysis and code maintenance
  • Hexagon News
    • A new informational dialog has been added that displays the latest news about Hexagon development
    • The dialog contains an option that prevents the same news from being displayed more than once
    • Edit > Preference Editor > User Interface > Misc contains two options; one that controls whether or not Hexagon News is checked at all, and one that prevents the same news from being displayed more than once
  • Daz Studio Bridge
    • Edit > Preference Editor > Import/Export > Daz Studio Bridge contains an option for specifying the path of the Daz Studio installation to use when sending to Daz Studio; recent versions of Daz Studio contain a corresponding setting in Edit > Preferences... > Bridges
  • General User Interface
    • Updated URLs used in various menus/actions
    • Updated various branding images; icons, splash, about, etc
    • Updated various English language text entries
    • Added some missing French and Japanese translations
    • Added various actions to the Help menu
  • Windows Specific
    • Large Address Aware (LAA) by default; still a 32-bit executable
    • Fixed DWG/DXF Import
  • Mac Specific
    • Removed PowerPC support

Post edited by rbtwhiz on

Comments

• I am so glad that Hexagon has come back! For a free to use software for beginners and the seasoned 3D modeler I cant wait to see what has been improved. I hope it may have some of the features and usabilty like some of the High End software packages out there like 3DS Max, Maya, Lightwave, and others. With those before mentioned software titles comes a High End price tag  $1000 - $3500+ price tag wich puts it way out of the reach of most people. Some really good and great potential  3D modelers are lost due to the cost of those titles, way to go DAZ3D please do us proud! 

• plopsplops Posts: 69

Never been on the first page before, Whoop Whoop!!!

• jag11jag11 Posts: 885

Awesome. Just installed. Can't wait for the Q1 2018 release.

Thanks.

• Getting ready to download the beta now!

• jcowb1jcowb1 Posts: 56

I downloaded when it was initially advertised as free (I had already purchased it before with an economic stimulus bundle) When I downloaded neither the serial number from my original product nor the one given for the beta 2.5.1.79 would work. I contacted support and was told the version I had was not antywhere on the website,despite my three attempts I still got 2.5.1.79. When I went back to the front page today It was advertised in the regular dislay area, so I downloaded it again following all the instructions given using DIM. I received the newer 2.5.2.109. Guess what, my serial numbers are still invalid.

• CherubitCherubit Posts: 977

I'm really glad to know Daz is working on Hexagon again :) Thank you for that! Just installed the beta. 

• ACFanACFan Posts: 12

Downloaded and installed - since the General release is on my system too, it never asked for serial number. macOS 10.13.1, 2010 mac pro 6 core, 32GB Memory - starts up smoothly and seems to respond a lot better.

• namffuaknamffuak Posts: 4,040
    jcowb1 said:

I downloaded when it was initially advertised as free (I had already purchased it before with an economic stimulus bundle) When I downloaded neither the serial number from my original product nor the one given for the beta 2.5.1.79 would work. I contacted support and was told the version I had was not antywhere on the website,despite my three attempts I still got 2.5.1.79. When I went back to the front page today It was advertised in the regular dislay area, so I downloaded it again following all the instructions given using DIM. I received the newer 2.5.2.109. Guess what, my serial numbers are still invalid.

I ran into this when I changed computers quite a while ago. First, make sure you're using the correct serial number if you have more than one in your list - you want the one that starts HDZSTND-025. Second - IIRC, I had to key in the serial number; copy and paste failed every time.

• Hmm, won't download for me. I will try rebooting.

• nevermind. i got it. THANKS!

• Great news, thank you DAZ

• ArtiniArtini Posts: 8,524
    edited November 2017

Thanks a lot, Daz. It is a great news.

Hexagon was always my favorite program and I dreamed, that it will be in 64 bit and stable.

Post edited by Artini on
  • TotteTotte Posts: 13,473

Will there be a "Post your bugs here thread" or should bugs be reported "The usual way"?

• I use Hexagon since ages (since the transition from Eovia to DAZ) and still this is my modeler software. Very user friendly. I know ...  Blender knows much more, but I couldn't get used to it. So I still use Hexagon. And I am so happy DAZ didn't abandon it!

• Awesome! smiley

I'm really happy that Daz has taken up Hexagon development again.

Hexagon has always been one of my two favorite modelers (The other being 3D Coat).

I use Hexagon in almost every project I take on, and I am super pleased that it is going to be developed and improved, and not just left in obscurity.

Thank you Daz!

• Leo LeeLeo Lee Posts: 184
    edited November 2017

Thank you so much for this! I had moved to Blender due to its instability and now I can come back to Hexagon again because it is the easiest modeler I've ever found.

Post edited by Leo Lee on
  • artistb3artistb3 Posts: 188

Oh boy!  Look Grandma, the modeler you used when you where 9 is back!  And it hasn't changed a bit except that it doesn't crash as much now.  I'm so excited!

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    Totte said:

Will there be a "Post your bugs here thread" or should bugs be reported "The usual way"?

Using the forums to discuss/isolate/confirm an issue with other users is fine, but bugs should be submitted through a help ticket; the forums are a horribly ineffective method of attempting to track issues.

• TotteTotte Posts: 13,473
    Chohole said:
    Totte said:

Using the forums to discuss/isolate/confirm an issue with other users is fine, but bugs should be submitted through a help ticket; the forums are a horribly ineffective method of attempting to track issues.

I am aware of it, just sometimes when companies toss out a beta release "just like that" they run a "beta bug thread". For example FilterForge does that, that's why I asked.

• larsmidnattlarsmidnatt Posts: 4,511

this is the best news ever. OMG, thank you!

• Peter WadePeter Wade Posts: 1,602
    Totte said:

And do Daz want reports of old bugs that are still there or do they only want new ones?

It still doesn't work with the mouse set for left handed use on my PC.

• It does not crash when export a comples model to obj file yesyesyes

but still have some old bugs...

• RAMWolffRAMWolff Posts: 10,140

KEWL... installed now... Thank you! 

• kenmokenmo Posts: 895

Great news....

• Auto Save please. Thanks for the update.

• kmorris1@oh.rr.com[email protected] Posts: 1,106
    edited November 2017

So how do you get the Beta? I started DIM but I couldn't find anything there. I set the filter to Hexagon and Hexagon BETA but nothing displayed. Only the tutorials that I have purchased. I checked the filters, etc and Hexagon was checked.

I just searched for it in the store and then I put it in my cart. Maybe that will put it in DIM.

Post edited by [email protected] on
  • I put it in my cart and even checked out and it still didn't show up. I clicked on the Download and install and it put the sku in the filter field and it still didn't show up.

• edited November 2017

For those who use and love Hexagon, this is great news for you. Also, please do not take offense to my comment. I got Hexagon v2.5 a good while back (2012) for free during a big sale/promotion. I do believe it was when they changed Studio PRO from a purchased prduct to free. The order also has DAZ Studio PRO and Bryce 7 PRO listed, and I got both of them for free at the same time. I tried Hexagon back then and a couple of times since but could never get a handle on it and since they never created a bridge between it and Studio, I never really felt enough umph to try and get a handle on the differences between it and Lightwave which I was use too and still use.

CORRECTION: Their is a bridge between the original v2.5 and Studio but I could never get it to work for some reason, at least not from the Studio side. Now the Bridge between Bryce 7 into Studio worked great.

Post edited by Billye.Gilbert_38e1281a20 on
  • KevinH said:

I put it in my cart and even checked out and it still didn't show up. I clicked on the Download and install and it put the sku in the filter field and it still didn't show up.

You bought this https://www.daz3d.com/hexagon-beta ? Click the Download Filters button on the ready to Download tab of DIM and make sue that Public Builds are checked.

• ShawnDriscollShawnDriscoll Posts: 375
    edited November 2017

Is there a video showing how to use the installer manager thingie for Windows 10 64-bit Pro users? I get as far as downloading Hexagon public beta, and now I'm told that the install path needs to be entered. So I make a C:\Program Files (x86)\DAZ 3D\Hexagon25 folder path and tell the applications tab to use that for the Hexagon 2.5 button (I don't see any Hexagon Beta button in the app list). And I'm still told nada when clicking the install button:

"

• Install Manager cannot find a required path. The package for "Hexagon 2.5 Content Public Build +BETA+" requires that the installed path for "Hexagon 2.x Public Build" be defined. Make sure that a path for this application is present on the "Applications" page of the "Settings" dialog, then try again.

"

Running the manager as admin makes no difference. Basically, the log is saying that there is no Hexagon 2.5 Public Beta app profile button for me to assign an install path to. Only the old original Hex 2.5 button, that it doesn't want me to use.  Do I need to now unhide a secret applications profile install path button for the BETA installation to then proceed?

ADDED:

I checked some other filter fields on, and now I see a Hexagon 2.5 Beta file. So I guess the first file I downloaded was just content stuff. Will see what happens now.

It worked. The content stuff installed after the main file did. And I now see the secret Hex 2.5 Beta app install path button.

MORE ADDED:

Yey! They fixed a bug a reported 10 years ago. Will see what other bugs are fixed from my old list.

Post edited by ShawnDriscoll on