WIP thread New Users Contest - May 2013

Comments

• evilproducerevilproducer Posts: 9,040
    edited December 1969

llolalane said:

============================

"Gallery Opening" lighting set up by Llola Lane (SEE diagram)

GREEN - 3 Distant lights (1 & 2 aimed at opposite walls and 3rd aimed at girl) = 25.0% intensity
    WHITE - 4 Spot lights over each lamp shade (aiming at artwork) = 200% intensity
    PURPLE - UberEnvironment2 (quality 4XHi) = 50% intensity

All done in DAZ Studio 4.5 Pro :)

Hope this helps those who need it. I was pretty happy with outcome. :) ENJOY!!!

I like the lighting rig and thought that you put into it. The composition is nice as well. Personally, I would tone down the DOF a bit, as it gives it more of a miniature look, but that could be just me.

The one thing I would change would be the shadows- or more exactly the lack of shadows. This has more to do with the render settings I suspect than the lighting. The way I see it, the drama light can add to scene is in the shadows that it creates. I'm not suggesting that you need fancy soft shadows that take a bazillion years to render. Hard shadows will work well, especially in your gallery scene because the light sources are pretty close to what's being illuminated. If they're too hard, there are ways to keep them, but soften the look by adding additional lights to simulate reflected light.

• Llola LaneLlola Lane Posts: 9,059
    edited May 2013

I like the lighting rig and thought that you put into it. The composition is nice as well. Personally, I would tone down the DOF a bit, as it gives it more of a miniature look, but that could be just me.

The one thing I would change would be the shadows- or more exactly the lack of shadows. This has more to do with the render settings I suspect than the lighting. The way I see it, the drama light can add to scene is in the shadows that it creates. I'm not suggesting that you need fancy soft shadows that take a bazillion years to render. Hard shadows will work well, especially in your gallery scene because the light sources are pretty close to what's being illuminated. If they're too hard, there are ways to keep them, but soften the look by adding additional lights to simulate reflected light.

Thank you evilproducer for your input... THAT's what I forgot.. grrr... I used to be a professional photographer and I'm finding that the lighting in DAZ doesn't do what I want it to, like when I worked with my studio lights. Learning all the settings has me frazzled. The only shadows in my render are the ones produced with the UBER LIGHT.. all the rest are turned off. I was having a dickens of a time getting the repeats in the artwork to render correctly (but that is another story).. by the time I went to sleep I had a few less hair on my head... lol... I was supposed to try turning on the shadows above the frames to see how it would look.. I really forgot to turn them on. I worked for 3 hours to get the repeats sorted in the frames and I totally forgot. I'll repost tonight.. hopefully my hair has grown back by now.. lol I'll leave the DOF for now.. I like it :) (personal opinion :)

===================

Ok.. here it is with shadows... I added a distant light above the girls head and turned on the shadows on the distant light to her left shoulder too. It's close enough.. lol.. After 6ish hours of looking at it and over 30ish renders... I'm done! lol ENJOY Everyone!!!

GALLERY_OPENING_with_SHADOWS_SIGN.jpg
    1024 x 1024 - 471K
    Post edited by Llola Lane on
    edited December 1969

@carola.ottosson: That lighting already looks nice. I'm jealous! ;)
    @evilproducer: That last pic is really creepy and cool.

Thanks sithkitten! Sorry I missed the post.

• Carola OCarola O Posts: 3,823
    edited December 1969

After some hours of wrapping my head around Uber Light thingies I managed to produce this. I am oddly satisfied with it, enough to actually have put my name on it already *sheepish smile*

I think I will put it up here for a little while and let it sit for a day or two, before deciding if I shall consider it finished enough to post. That would give me a chance to start on another picture, if I can just which of the different ideas I shall go with first *laughs* Anyhow, this is how it turned it out for now :)

momentofthoughts3.png
    700 x 700 - 345K
  • elhectroelhectro Posts: 48
    edited December 1969

Hello!
    I've been working with DAZ since december, in a project I started last year. It's a kind of a comic/graphic novel with music (I'm a composer). I'm about to finally finish, and I'd like a lot to get some feedback from pros. I used infinito with some free textures I got from the web for the sky and the ground. The lights are the default ones from daz, just as the render.
    Thanks!.

094.png
    2000 x 1125 - 3M
  • Alpha01Alpha01 Posts: 160
    edited December 1969

hectorblg said:
    Hello!
    I've been working with DAZ since december, in a project I started last year. It's a kind of a comic/graphic novel with music (I'm a composer). I'm about to finally finish, and I'd like a lot to get some feedback from pros. I used infinito with some free textures I got from the web for the sky and the ground. The lights are the default ones from daz, just as the render.
    Thanks!.

Nice picture hectorblg, love the silhouettes.

I would add a few dust clouds and maybe a distance camera, then that would be one epic picture mate.

• JaderailJaderail Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

hectorblg said:
    Hello!
    Thanks!.
    I like it much myself. I would not do much except maybe use deformers to add the details to the two figures so deep in the sand. Left most and right most. If your going for that much detail that is.
  • bighbigh Posts: 8,147
    edited December 1969

just one light

1_spooky_Genesis.jpg
    1029 x 694 - 334K
    edited May 2013

hectorblg said:
    Hello!
    Thanks!.

To give you an example of what I am talking about, here is a picture I'm working on at the moment.
    I have used a distance camera to make the trees in the background look "afar " and I am trying use the clouds from "Winter Terrains" to look like exhaust smoke.

In the same principle for your picture, you would be able to make the ruins look far away, and by changing the diffuse and reflection colours of the clouds, you would be able to make then look like sand dust clouds in the background.

(the picture is only 70% rendered, that's why it looks poor or unfinished)

ride.jpg
    2000 x 888 - 1M
    Post edited by Alpha01 on
  • Joe CotterJoe Cotter Posts: 3,259
    edited December 1969

It could be a nice effect, but it looks nice clear as it is also :)

• kittenwyldekittenwylde Posts: 151
    edited December 1969

The curiosity is killing me. (I'm a kitten, after all! ;) ) How do the distance cameras work?

• bighbigh Posts: 8,147
    edited December 1969

5 light from Fiery Genesis

5_light_from_Fiery_Genesis.jpg
    1029 x 694 - 401K
    edited May 2013

The curiosity is killing me. (I'm a kitten, after all! ;) ) How do the distance cameras work?

Sorry I am mistaken and talking rubbish, I am new at all this and am still tinkering.

I mean the fog / depth light, it makes the character look more in the image like below.

So when things are in the background, they look like there further back then they actually are

Desert_run.jpg
    1695 x 892 - 644K
    desert_running.jpg
    2000 x 892 - 828K
    Post edited by Alpha01 on
    edited December 1969

Alpha01 said:

Sorry I am mistaken and talking rubbish, I am new at all this and am still tinkering.

I mean the fog / depth light, it makes the character look more in the image like below.

So when things are in the background, they look like there further back then they actually are
    LOL! You were talking about depth of field. And that early in the morning, I read what you wrote as being about the set of cameras I bought a while back and haven't yet messed with, Age of Armour's Atmosphere Cameras. Oops! I should know better than to post anything before I've really woken up yet.

edited December 1969

Alpha01 said:

That's a nice example.. the fog camera here does add a nice touch. Now you just need some footprints in the sand ;)

• edited December 1969

Hopefully I will make it to the finish line this month. I have been having a few health issues since the start of the year and it has reflected in my work. Everything I tried to do I lost interest in and never entered it.

I am over the worst of it now and have done this one.

Lights used, three spotlights, four linear point lights and one point light, with AoA's Volume Camera.

Stigori-01.jpg
    800 x 565 - 243K
    edited December 1969

bluemoon said:
    Hopefully I will make it to the finish line this month. I have been having a few health issues since the start of the year and it has reflected in my work. Everything I tried to do I lost interest in and never entered it.

I am over the worst of it now and have done this one.

Lights used, three spotlights, four linear point lights and one point light, with AoA's Volume Camera.

That is great lighting and composition!

edited December 1969

Yes it is, very nice Bluemoon :)

• edited December 1969

Thank you evilproducer, Gedd and bigh

edited December 1969

This is where I'm at now. It's the first time I've made anything I really like in Luxus. Yay!
    One meshlight used. Took forever to find a place to put it.
    And bluemoon, that image is gorgeous!

may.jpg
    800 x 800 - 40K
  • IlenaIlena Posts: 280
    edited December 1969

Bluemoon you sure know how to built atmosphere. This one is very good. The only thing that bugs me it's the pose but that's just me. :)

I didn't manage the last one challenge deadline as something bad came up, but with that taken care of I hope nothing else comes up for this one.
    Anyways, opinions on this one are welcome.

You_cant_run_from_me.jpg
    640 x 480 - 164K
    edited May 2013

Ilena52 said:
    I didn't manage the last one challenge deadline as something bad came up, but with that taken care of I hope nothing else comes up for this one.
    Umm... one thing kind of POPs out. The kickstand needs to be put UP.
    Post edited by Jaderail on
    edited December 1969

Ilena52 said:
    Bluemoon you sure know how to built atmosphere. This one is very good. The only thing that bugs me it's the pose but that's just me. :)

Good angle! It helps sell the action.

Personally, if the rider could be made to stand out more, that would be good. Maybe some lights restricted to her and the bike? If you're using Carrara for this one, you can choose to have the light restricted in the light's general tab. You would want to make sure the figure's model is selected in the figure's hierarchy otherwise it won't work. You can select more than one item to restrict by command-clicking another model in the dialogue.

Picture_2.png
    256 x 413 - 29K
    Picture_1.png
    245 x 536 - 37K
    edited December 1969

I did this picture because a friend was wondering how to create a rig for a tentacle that would wrap around the leg of an A3 character. This is an example of a non-rigged spline model wrapped around the arm and leg of V4 in Carrara. Why should A3 have all the tentacle monsters? ;-)

The reason I'm posting this here, is because it goes back to what I was saying earlier about how sometimes, lighting can give the illusion of a larger space. I had no set, and four lights. Two lights provide the accent/fill and two lights provide the light rim around the character. The only other thing in the scene besides the clothed V4 and the tentacle(s) is a volumetric cloud which the rim lights shine through.

The other reason I posted this is because it provides a good example of how your textures/shaders need to be considered when lighting the scene. In this case, I am very happy with the wet look I was able to get on the tentacle.

Tentacle_fight01.jpg
    2000 x 1500 - 750K
    Picture_4.png
    243 x 584 - 38K
    Picture_1.png
    245 x 536 - 37K
    Picture_3.png
    968 x 753 - 177K
  • edited December 1969

@sithkitten - Thank you very much.

@Ilena52 - Thank you, I am thinking about reposing the figure so that the eyes are seen, I think it would look a better.

edited May 2013

Jaderail said:
    Ilena52 said:
    Umm... one thing kind of POPs out. The kickstand needs to be put UP.
    Once, when I was young and dumb and shouldn't have been on my bike (motorcycle) I rode with the kickstand down. Normally it will kick up on it's own if it hits the ground, but in this case, the results weren't pretty. ;p
    Post edited by Joe Cotter on
  • IlenaIlena Posts: 280
    edited December 1969

I knew about that, but as it was past 1am and some rest was needed I just sent it as it was and went off to bed. Now after good night's rest returned, tweaked the lighting but can't seem to get it rid off. If it were daz 3 that problem would be solved in surface tab and opacity tab. But in this one...

• PschelfhPschelfh Posts: 261
    edited December 1969

I only started a month ago with DS 4.5.

This is 'Speed Ticket'. Nothing fantastic, just an everyday scene, but I tried to give it some tension.

Parking_Ticket.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 415K
  • PschelfhPschelfh Posts: 261
    edited December 1969

I guess it's ok to post a Carrara render too?

I only started a week ago with the program, so again, nothing spectacular.

This one is 'Forest Drive' (still focused on the Ferrari!).

Forest_Drive.jpg
    768 x 1024 - 307K
    edited December 1969

Ilena52 said:
    I knew about that, but as it was past 1am and some rest was needed I just sent it as it was and went off to bed. Now after good night's rest returned, tweaked the lighting but can't seem to get it rid off. If it were daz 3 that problem would be solved in surface tab and opacity tab. But in this one...
    If it works in DS3 it Should be the same in other prg.. just need to find that one setting.