Paragraph break weirdness

SnowSultanSnowSultan Posts: 3,507
edited June 2012 in The Commons

Can someone tell me how to reliably insert paragraph breaks into posts in this forum now? I've tried the html command, that doesn't work, hitting Enter a bunch of times works sometimes but not every time...am I doing something wrong?

Thanks.

Post edited by SnowSultan on

Comments

• ledheadledhead Posts: 1,586
    edited December 1969

Can someone tell me how to reliably insert paragraph breaks into posts in this forum now? I've tried the html command, that doesn't work, hitting Enter a bunch of times works sometimes but not every time...am I doing something wrong?

Thanks.

It works for me everytime if I hit enter 3 times (have 2 blank spaces between paragraphs)

As I just did here.

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited June 2012

I use Enter space enter....works for me, and is quite an easy routine to get into.

Or return space return if you prefer

like this

Post edited by Chohole on
  • McGyverMcGyver Posts: 7,005
    edited June 2012

Is that the way it is supposed to work? I've never encountered that on any site before...

It has been happening here off and on since the change over...

(Edit - it just it did again)...

Post edited by McGyver on
    edited June 2012

I don't think it is meant to work that way, it just does,

One thing to be said for old fashioned typewriters, you had a nice lever to do the carriage return

• SnowSultanSnowSultan Posts: 3,507
    edited December 1969

Enter-space-Enter seems to be working for me in some preview posts, so I think I'll go with that. Thank you very much. :)

SnowS (yay, just worked here too)

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 96,718
    edited December 1969

I've found < br > (without the spaces) to work, as well as two blank lines or a line with a space. However, I did have trouble with one post where I put three blank lines - it lost one of the later breaks then, so you need to watch that unless it was a momentary glitch.

• JaderailJaderail Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

I'm using Enter:Space:Enter without any errors. Works everytime as far as I can tell. It's habit now.

• JackFosterJackFoster Posts: 143
    edited June 2012

Enter, Space, Enter or three Enters in a row works for me when I do a fast reply, but it didn't work for me when I tried to do an edit before.

I'll try on this one and see if it works.

Edit: Three Enters were pressed before this line, so yes, it is working. I don't know why it didn't work on a different post.

Post edited by JackFoster on
  • Sfariah DSfariah D Posts: 25,686
    edited December 1969

I sometimes forget to do the enter space enter or whatever thing.

I wonder if they fix it will the old posts be full of lots of space or would they be unchanged?

Maybe there is a firefox addon or something that can do it for us?

• RCDescheneRCDeschene Posts: 2,799
    edited December 1969

Yeah, that always gets me, too. Is there any intention of correcting this?

• T JaimanT Jaiman Posts: 560
    edited December 1969

jwood331 said:
    Enter, Space, Enter or three Enters in a row works for me when I do a fast reply, but it didn't work for me when I tried to do an edit before.

I'll try on this one and see if it works.

Edit: Three Enters were pressed before this line, so yes, it is working. I don't know why it didn't work on a different post.

Did that post have a quote box in that earlier post?

It's iffy above/below a quote box.

When the forum first started, I couldn't get a blank line above/below a quote box at all. I was using shrunken gray periods to hold the space.
    (Same as at Rendo).
    Thusly:

T Jaiman said:
    shapes/GenX updates were released.

That's probably it. Maybe they were reactivated by mistake, then .
  • T JaimanT Jaiman Posts: 560
    edited June 2012

I wonder if they fix it will the old posts be full of lots of space or would they be unchanged?

Yeah, just in case, maybe we should stick to space. Then we wouldn't look like fanatical double-spacers. :)

That would be cool, if they fixed it!

Hey! double-spacing works now. I don't think it used to.
    Post edited by T Jaiman on
  • Super NewbSuper Newb Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

chohole said:

One thing to be said for old fashioned typewriters, you had a nice lever to do the carriage return

Your dating yourself Chohole. :-) I always make that mistake with my 12 year old daughter, I'll be giving her computer instructions and tell her to type this or that and hit "return". She never get's it - for the longest time she was looking at all the keys for one that said "return". "I don't know about your computer dad, but I've NEVER seen one that had a "return" button. I tried explaining it to her, that on old typewriters it would "return" you to the beginning of the next line - she still didn't really get it.
    One day we were at a garage sale and they had an old (electric) typewriter for sale and we plugged it in and she played around with it for a bit as I shopped. Later I asked her what she thought of it and she laughed hysterically. "It was ri-dic-u-lous! I can't imagine people actually using those big clunky things! and ALL it did was type letters on paper? It had a plastic case and said "portable"! How could it be portable when it weighs like 50 lbs and has no batteries?!?" I smiled and said "did it have a "return" key?" She laughed again and said, "no in place of the "enter" key it a had a big huge backwards L key on it.... I still think your dreaming about that "return" key thing...."

edited December 1969

I have never been able to find the "any" key.

• Super NewbSuper Newb Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

chohole said:

:-)

• McGyverMcGyver Posts: 7,005
    edited December 1969

I tried explaining it to her, that on old typewriters it would "return" you to the beginning of the next line - she still didn't really get it.

You can tell your daughter that Macs still have "return" keys... although most of the newer ones have RETURN and enter (in smaller lettering).

My daughters are six and had no idea what I was talking about when I said "typewriter"..... when I explained how they worked, one of them told me "thats crazy".

apple-keyboard.jpg
    761 x 707 - 126K
  • TaozTaoz Posts: 9,724
    edited December 1969

chohole said:

Sounds familiar...
    edited December 1969

I tried explaining it to her, that on old typewriters it would "return" you to the beginning of the next line - she still didn't really get it.

You can tell your daughter that Macs still have "return" keys... although most of the newer ones have RETURN and enter (in smaller lettering).

Sounds sort of of contradictory really - "he entered the room, but returned very quickly"...

edited December 1969

chohole said:

It's because it was too big so they divided it into three keys. If you look at your keyboard you'll see one with an "A", one with an "N" and one with a "Y".

edited December 1969

Ah, right, and I have to press them all together, right :wow:

edited December 1969

chohole said:

Exactly. You can do it with one hand, actually (unless you're < 10 years old perhaps)...

edited December 1969

Taozen said:
    chohole said:

Exactly. You can do it with one hand, actually (unless you're < 10 years old perhaps)...

Or my age with Arthritus and a MS ergonomic keyboard. you know the split, curved ones. :roll:

edited December 1969

chohole said:
    Taozen said:
    chohole said:

Or my age with Arthritus and a MS ergonomic keyboard. you know the split, curved ones. :roll:

Well actually it often works if you only press one of the keys, why I don't know. Microsoft will probably tell you that it's not a bug, but a feature... :)

edited December 1969

Well yes windoze is so full of bu......, umm I mean features that it is difficult to tell whether it was designed that way or not. As long as it works, like having to press start to turn my PC off.

• Miss BMiss B Posts: 3,071
    edited December 1969

I've found < br > (without the spaces) to work, as well as two blank lines or a line with a space. However, I did have trouble with one post where I put three blank lines - it lost one of the later breaks then, so you need to watch that unless it was a momentary glitch.

Yes, I've been using the XHTML version of that, namely < br / >, also without the two spaces before and after the angled brackets, but WITH the space between the br and forward slash. I use that because that's how I code site page, and never checked to see if the forum is set up for XHTML or HTML 5. If both work, then it doesn't matter which you use.

Be aware though, you still need to click the Enter key twice, as I don't think clicking it once will do the trick, even with the correct code.

edited December 1969

What I hate is I'm starting to hit enter 3 times when I'm not in DAZ Forums

edited June 2012

You mean to say, there are times when you are not in the Daz forums ? :wow:

edited December 1969

chohole said:

Well ya gotta hit reboot and go to the bathroom sometimes and then every once in a while I need to show up for work and of course there is the honey do list, but other than that, yeah it's pretty much DAZ. I didn't realize there was anything else until you pointed it out though. Thanks a lot Chohole, you've made me realize there are other things in life like "Hitting Restart", "Taking a Crap", "Going to Work", "Mowing the Lawn" and "Setting the Trash Out". Yep I certainly do get to enjoy the finer things in life other than DAZ.

edited December 1969

Ledhead said:
    chohole said:

Well ya gotta hit reboot and go to the bathroom sometimes and then every once in a while I need to show up for work and of course there is the honey do list, but other than that, yeah it's pretty much DAZ. I didn't realize there was anything else until you pointed it out though. Thanks a lot Chohole, you've made me realize there are other things in life like "Hitting Restart", "Taking a Crap", "Going to Work", "Mowing the Lawn" and "Setting the Trash Out". Yep I certainly do get to enjoy the finer things in life other than DAZ.

Ah well, glad to have been of service.

Me, work I gave up, or rather it gave up on me 3 years short of statutory retirement age, which age I have now attained. THe trash and the Lawn, wel i Have himself to do things like that. He makes good coffee as well.