Are you on DeviantArt?

Comments

• cwichuracwichura Posts: 1,042
    edited December 1969

I thought the Llama's were a gimmick to get you to pay money to dA. As in, to give them, you first have to buy them as a virtual good. Hence why I've never much looked into them. I'm with SY, I'd much rather folks fav/watch/comment on things if my stuff appeals to them.

• KeryaKerya Posts: 10,943
    edited April 2013

Llamas are free to give (contrary to Points and Cake).
    I just think they are fun.
    And I added quite a lot of people to my watch today.
    Thanks for this thread!
    http://kerya-alexis.deviantart.com/

(the Alexis part is my alternate personality who loves beadwork)

Post edited by Kerya on
  • RoguePilotRoguePilot Posts: 239
    edited December 1969

Nice to have all these links in one place.
    Many thanks to Wancow.

My own gallery link is pretty self explanatory but it's also in my signature if you want it.

• wancowwancow Posts: 2,708
    edited December 1969

Many thanks to Wancow.

My own gallery link is pretty self explanatory but it's also in my signature if you want it.

Hey, thanks to everyone who posted their links! I'm a little giddy that this thread took off... :)

• SickleYieldSickleYield Posts: 7,629
    edited December 1969

wancow said:
    Many thanks to Wancow.

Hey, thanks to everyone who posted their links! I'm a little giddy that this thread took off... :)

I'm certainly excited by all the new profiles to watch of people that actually render in DS! I was starting to think everyone was hiding their renders under the bed, or only posting at 'rotica or something. :D I'm both proud and embarrassed that so many customers do better renders than I do, and that so many have mastered things like postwork, fog effects, and tweaking existing textures to create their own. You guys rock.

• ChronopunkChronopunk Posts: 291
    edited December 1969

Wancow: thank YOU for the thread! :)

I'm certainly excited by all the new profiles to watch of people that actually render in DS! I was starting to think everyone was hiding their renders under the bed, or only posting at 'rotica or something. :D I'm both proud and embarrassed that so many customers do better renders than I do, and that so many have mastered things like postwork, fog effects, and tweaking existing textures to create their own. You guys rock.

I mostly hide my renders because 90% of them are me practicing and trying to get the effect and light I want. There is only so much of "This pose with this light in this space" that I can post before people get sick of it. Anything I post is going to be the best of a set of ten or so practice shots, or is something (like the pinup) that I decided to do on a whim.

I will say this, though - playing around in DS has gotten me part of the way out of a particularly bad bout of depression-induced "no art juice" funk I've been in (hence the lack of illustrations in my gallery lately). I'll take it! :)

edited December 1969

Wancow: thank YOU for the thread! :)
    Hey, I just made a post, and everyone posted their links... by the way, I NEVER claim ownership of any thread I start... this is a discussion and/or information sharing... and I benefit from it as much or more than anyone... and I very much appreciate that everyone participates!

I think if I hadn't done it someone else would have, it was just a matter of when someone thought about it... I'm just happy to see we have a REAL community that is NOT manufactured by some leach-like website that produces nothing and gets paid for it :)

I am, however, a little giddy about the number of people out there who truly want to be connected...

I'd really like everyone to have this in mind when we're talking to eachother: the idea is to FLATTEN THE LEARNING CURVE! (For everyone)

• edited December 1969

I'm late to this table, but here's my dA place:

http://ibr-remote.deviantart.com

• Tramp GraphicsTramp Graphics Posts: 2,404
    edited December 1969

Here's mine Tramp Graphics. It includes my 3D art, comic work, and Transformers fan art. I also have prints available in my print shop. (hint, hint)

edited December 1969

Here's mine Tramp Graphics. It includes my 3D art, comic work, and Transformers fan art. I also have prints available in my print shop. (hint, hint)

There's good reason why few people make a living selling prints there as opposed to commissions. If one can directly pay an artist for a large .tiff or .png version instead and take it to Kinko's or any other local printer they have both many more options and can get a poster-size printout much cheaper. This is also a better deal for the artist because DA's percentage on those is loony, and it appears to be allowed under section 19a of their Terms of Service.

• cwichuracwichura Posts: 1,042
    edited December 1969

dA also has a rather draconian view about what can be offered for print. Anything fanart-ish that uses recognizable characters from movies/comics/etc is verbotten as a print.

I also think the days of prints/posters in general is long gone, but that's an entirely different discussion...

• KickAir 8PKickAir 8P Posts: 1,865
    edited April 2013

cwichura said:
    dA also has a rather draconian view about what can be offered for print. Anything fanart-ish that uses recognizable characters from movies/comics/etc is verbotten as a print . . .

Which makes sense (IANAL / TINLA) -- fanart/fanfic is protected (to a certain extent) by its non-commercial nature. Once you sell it, you (and anybody helping you) are vulnerable. It's understandable that dA doesn't wanna get caught up in that.

I've got a couple of fanworks up on dA -- one of 'em I wound up rerendering at a higher resolution so people could download & print it (elsewhere, not on dA). T-shirts, I think.

Post edited by KickAir 8P on
  • ChronopunkChronopunk Posts: 291
    edited December 1969

Which makes sense (IANAL / TINLA) -- fanart/fanfic is protected (to a certain extent) by its non-commercial nature. Once you sell it, you (and anybody helping you) are vulnerable. It's understandable that dA doesn't wanna get caught up in that.

I've got a couple of fanworks up on dA -- one of 'em I wound up rerendering at a higher resolution so people could download & print it (elsewhere, not on dA). T-shirts, I think.

Don't quote me on this, but having been on DA for some time, now, I'm pretty sure their Fan Art Policy (let's not make that an acronym) only really got as bad as it did after Disney started threatening Dune-level legal action on fan artists. I can cite my own sources in the fan-work community, as well as some folks I know in Comic-dom and Convention-dom proper, who very suddenly had C&D letters in their mailboxes regarding any and all Disney/Marvel characters.

I don't rightly agree with it, Disney's stance, that is (after all, it's convention-going fan artists that help drum up interest in comics, let's face it) - but it makes a certain degree of sense from DA's perspective to simply lock it down as much as possible so that the Mouse's lawyer corps doesn't show up on their doorstep.

But back on the topic of our artwork, I posted a two-figure piece up to my gallery last night. Still working on lighting and figure interplay, as well as having fun with reflective surfaces.

See if you can spot all the different SickleYield products I used in making it. ;)

edited December 1969

Don't quote me on this, but having been on DA for some time, now, I'm pretty sure their Fan Art Policy (let's not make that an acronym) only really got as bad as it did after Disney started threatening Dune-level legal action on fan artists. I can cite my own sources in the fan-work community, as well as some folks I know in Comic-dom and Convention-dom proper, who very suddenly had C&D letters in their mailboxes regarding any and all Disney/Marvel characters.

I don't rightly agree with it, Disney's stance, that is (after all, it's convention-going fan artists that help drum up interest in comics, let's face it) - but it makes a certain degree of sense from DA's perspective to simply lock it down as much as possible so that the Mouse's lawyer corps doesn't show up on their doorstep.

But back on the topic of our artwork, I posted a two-figure piece up to my gallery last night. Still working on lighting and figure interplay, as well as having fun with reflective surfaces.

See if you can spot all the different SickleYield products I used in making it. ;)

Thank you, I will. :D

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,561
    edited December 1969

...another place to check is the Daz Creative Contests group. It is a place where you can post your art, maybe get a little recognition for the monthly submissions.

I can say that joining and submitting to a group get you a lot more hits and watchers.

Other Daz oriented groups include:

Dazaholics
    Daz3DelightExp
    DailyDazations

• MavroshMavrosh Posts: 111
    edited December 1969

Daz-Artists-Guild is also a nice group to be. :)

• SimonJMSimonJM Posts: 5,945
    edited December 1969

Kyoto Kid said:
    ...another place to check is the Daz Creative Contests group. It is a place where you can post your art, maybe get a little recognition for the monthly submissions.

I can say that joining and submitting to a group get you a lot more hits and watchers.

Dazaholics
    Daz3DelightExp
    DailyDazations

Thank you, we at #DAZCreativeContests try, in the face of adversity, an odious amphibian overlord and a sock-eating vampire to be polite and welcoming :)

• MavroshMavrosh Posts: 111
    edited December 1969

SimonJM said:
    Kyoto Kid said:

Dazaholics
    Daz3DelightExp
    DailyDazations

Thank you, we at #DAZCreativeContests try, in the face of adversity, an odious amphibian overlord and a sock-eating vampire to be polite and welcoming :)

Well, I for sure enjoy being a member there! :D

• starionwolfstarionwolf Posts: 3,666
    edited April 2013

oh yeah, DeviantArt has some groups for Daz, Bryce, Vue, Poser and 3D art in general. Thanks for posting some recommendations everyone.

Post edited by starionwolf on
  • Tramp GraphicsTramp Graphics Posts: 2,404
    edited December 1969

There's good reason why few people make a living selling prints there as opposed to commissions. If one can directly pay an artist for a large .tiff or .png version instead and take it to Kinko's or any other local printer they have both many more options and can get a poster-size printout much cheaper. This is also a better deal for the artist because DA's percentage on those is loony, and it appears to be allowed under section 19a of their Terms of Service.Personally, I could use both commissions and print sales.

• edited December 1969

This thread is great!

After browsing a number of your galleries I have been inspired to start my own with a few older images and am anxious to add new ones.

My gallery is at http://choover885.deviantart.com.

Charles

• ladyofmanyfacesladyofmanyfaces Posts: 83
    edited December 1969
  • JaderailJaderail Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

We over at Daz3DelightExp are open to any Daz user. Come look and join in. You only need 3 renders.

• HoppittyHoppitty Posts: 466
    edited December 1969

I didn't know there were quite so many DAZ related groups there, I'll have to check some of them out. My deviant page is in my signature, but I'll post it here too: http://hoppitty.deviantart.com/

Some content is not child apropriate (violence, mild nudity), but everything is flagged properly.

• Gloomy007Gloomy007 Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Jaderail said:
    We over at Daz3DelightExp are open to any Daz user. Come look and join in. You only need 3 renders.

erm.. poser excluded? :)

edited December 1969

Krissy said:
    Jaderail said:

Does Poser use 3Delight? If the purpose is for use of the 3Delight Render Engine, it's kinda pointless if you're using Poser.

• SimonWMSimonWM Posts: 924
    edited April 2013

I'm on Deviantart, my gallery is on my signature.

Post edited by SimonWM on
  • KickAir 8PKickAir 8P Posts: 1,865
    edited December 1969

wancow said:
    Krissy said:
    Jaderail said:

Does Poser use 3Delight? If the purpose is for use of the 3Delight Render Engine, it's kinda pointless if you're using Poser.
    That sounds like no DAZStudio-to-LuxRenders, either? No problem if so, I've got plenty of 3Delight renders.
  • natrix natrixnatrix natrix Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

This thread inspired me to go back and look at my DeviantArt account. I haven't posted anything there since 2004, but I'm looking for a new place to host freebies, maybe sell prints. What do you think of DA for those things?

edited December 1969

I'm partial to ShareCG for hosting freebies, though you certainly can on DA. I think DA is designed, at least in part, with selling prints in mind... I've come to love their setup. I do not sell anything there, though, so I don't know what people's experience is...