Gilikshe renders: playing with shaders

Comments

• martinez.zora77@gmail.com[email protected] Posts: 1,345
    edited December 1969

First: cut with noise improved.
    Second: I find the magic "word" for ramps.

Both my own code from scratch. In first I solve the problem for my own, and this allowed me understand mechanism for second and third. For second I translate some recipes ideas to variables I use.

third: from book recipe, repaired in some points to it works in shader builder. Understanding some ideas here, I believe I can achieve interesting effects

13.png
    1000 x 1666 - 365K
    14.png
    1000 x 1666 - 226K
    15.png
    1000 x 1666 - 273K
  • RCTSpankyRCTSpanky Posts: 850
    edited December 1969

You're pictures are nice, but with the title I expect a kind of tutorial with pictures how you create the effects. Without any explainations it's just your nice gallery. I would like to learn the real usage of shaders.

edited December 1969

You're pictures are nice, but with the title I expect a kind of tutorial with pictures how you create the effects. Without any explainations it's just your nice gallery. I would like to learn the real usage of shaders.

Hi Spanky, Thanks for your opinion about images.
    The principal purpose of my thread is gallery about my projects with shaders. I had had few progress in produce like gallery image and only had post shader developing, all my image are in an eternal WIP. I didn't think in tutorials until now but in tips and a pair of RSL facts (no much time and no good english are problems). For tips and facts, mosaic last shader can be interesting to explore, this have arrays of surface and selective modification of part of surface.

• siocsioc Posts: 299
    edited December 1969

hello, the images looked good, any news for that project ?

edited December 1969

sioc said:
    hello, the images looked good, any news for that project ?

sorry for no answer before.

I still work in this project. I trying to find time to work but there isn't much. I need to finish some academic work for my job before I can use time in this shader :( .

Blending (composing) layers and shade transitions are ready. But it still needs time to produce control in gradients/ramps vertical, horizontal, sloping and circular. Add mosaic, straigh lines noise and glossy toon effects.

• siocsioc Posts: 299
    edited December 1969

Thanks for answering ! And It's nice to know the project is still alive :)

edited November 2014

Nothing really new, simply more cleaning. Almost all outlines were made with zigraphix's toonycam pro.

Still stuck with gradients and projections, pic1 & 2* a cilindrical projection in object and screen spaces. Object space is a nightmare with people mesh. Screen is too much plane, but the one coherent.

New IPR is a dream, now I can test very fast any change in shader, so soon as it is compiled or a dial is changed.

edit: * test in 1 & 2 was made with a texture.

sandy_ipr.png
    1200 x 1800 - 2M
    sandy_ogl2.png
    1200 x 1800 - 828K
    essential_light_sunset.png
    1036 x 805 - 1M
    cil_scree_02.png
    565 x 805 - 269K
    cil_object_09.png
    565 x 805 - 356K
    Post edited by [email protected] on
  • Proxima ShiningProxima Shining Posts: 969
    edited December 1969

Very cool!! I especially like picture 3.

• MythmakerMythmaker Posts: 606
    edited December 1969

gilikshe said:
    Another quick experiment, trying with a subtle change in shadows "segmentation"

Very nice segmentation..."posterized" shadows. Inspiring stuff. Keep going.

edited December 2014

Testing glossy. Without and with

06.png
    1000 x 1647 - 1M
    01.png
    452 x 745 - 248K
    edited December 1969

Glossy round 2

gloss2.png
    600 x 600 - 316K
    edited December 1969

WIP. Testing shader. Glossy effect was changed to simply specular. Specular + gradient + toon shine = toon glossy will be another shader.

zamirra5.png
    1333 x 2000 - 778K
    edited December 1969

WIP 2

zamirra6.png
    1647 x 1017 - 2M
  • ImagoImago Posts: 4,900
    edited December 1969

Maybe someone can help me...
    I'm trying to make a "Gaussiano Blur Shader" but it seems pretty impossible for me!
    I need to blur or at least pixelize a character that is trapped in a glass tube. But every shader that I used on it simply distorts the char like a goldfish in a bowl.
    I need to make it unrecognizable... There are some method to do it?

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 96,858
    edited December 1969

What are you shading -the tube or the character? If the glass, try increasing the size of the sample cone setting - that will blur in proportion to distance from the surface..

edited January 2015

What are you shading -the tube or the character? If the glass, try increasing the size of the sample cone setting - that will blur in proportion to distance from the surface..

I want to blur the char in the tube.
    The char is inseide the glass tube and from outside he looks blurred, this is what I need.

I tried every glass shader I found. Since the char is very near to the glass, the shader simply deforms it with fishbwol effect.
    I also found some other shader with distortion maps. Same result.

*EDIT*
    Sorry, forgot to say that I'm shading the tube!

Post edited by Imago on
    edited January 2015

Maybe someone can help me...
    I'm trying to make a "Gaussiano Blur Shader" but it seems pretty impossible for me!
    I need to blur or at least pixelize a character that is trapped in a glass tube. But every shader that I used on it simply distorts the char like a goldfish in a bowl.
    I need to make it unrecognizable... There are some method to do it?

I couldn't achieve a true gaussian blur, because it use neighbour pixels is necesary and I don't know how do it with surface shader. I believe it is possible with camera/imager shader but I don't play enough with imager shader to understand it. For soft transitions I use mix function.
    You can try with cellnoise and mix function to imitate pixelate effect.

edit: changing noise to blur. Sorry, I work in statistics.

edited December 1969

I work now with some presets, color and effects.

Some colors in cell mode. Shade is in fact light segmented in five bands. Each shade band can be picked separately.

Rosa_Pastel.duf_.png
    731 x 731 - 171K
    varios.png
    731 x 731 - 360K
    Deep_Carmesi.duf_.png
    731 x 731 - 155K
    Ceruleo_2.duf_.png
    731 x 731 - 173K
    5Colors.duf_.png
    731 x 731 - 163K
    edited December 1969

Simple specular

exspec2.png
    1000 x 1000 - 552K
    exspec.png
    731 x 731 - 250K
    exnospec.png
    731 x 731 - 174K
  • Leo LeeLeo Lee Posts: 184
    edited December 1969

Many interesting toon shader options, gilikshe! I like them so much.

edited December 1969

I'm here again, hoping for someone that can help me...
    I need to "hide" behind a glass an object.
    I tried to use various glass shaders but them works only if the object is not too next to the glass, when I put it near the shaded glass, it deforms like fish bowl and the object if fully recognizable.
    I need something that can blur or pixelate something near the glass.

• Medron PrydeMedron Pryde Posts: 304
    edited December 1969

Have you tried making the glass less transparent?

I've found that I can make many items more or less transparent using the sliders in DAZ.

edited December 1969

Have you tried making the glass less transparent?

I've found that I can make many items more or less transparent using the sliders in DAZ.

Making the glass less transparent won't help...
    I need something like this even when the object is near the glass:
    http://sl.dortikum.net/pixeleffects/article/blur_effect_2.jpg

I think it's possible to obtain something like this with DAZ Shaders...

edited December 1969

First step to solve is search mathematical formula:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gaussian_blur

In matlab it is easy-easy to write. I even try to find a way to write it in the surface approach of RSL.

In other hand, you can apply blur to a read image, probably is more easy blur skin+eyes+lips texture that other.

I don't remember if texture function contain blur or it is a different function. You can search here:

http://renderman.pixar.com/resources/current/RenderMan/rslFunctions.html#mathematical-functions

edited December 1969

Many interesting toon shader options, gilikshe! I like them so much.

Thanks.

More options for transitions between bands: plane, soft, plane noise, soft noise, irregular softed noise. The last still in testing, can be viewed in the skins and other surfaces

madya_05.png
    1500 x 1500 - 403K
    madya_04.png
    1500 x 1500 - 643K
    col01.png
    1800 x 1800 - 2M
    edited December 1969

Picking some nocturnal colors, but I don't have any clue or idea to understand how "night" colors must be decided. I supose I need see a lot of pictures until I find my own style.

Some hair test look very well, transmap and solid toony.

hana.png
    1313 x 2000 - 2M
    hairy.png
    731 x 365 - 214K
    greg4.png
    1000 x 1001 - 804K
    edited December 1969

Current transitions.

Tran_5-specular.png
    718 x 718 - 457K
    Tran_2.png
    718 x 718 - 235K
    Tran_5-2.png
    718 x 718 - 414K
    Tran_1.png
    718 x 718 - 181K
    Tran_0.png
    718 x 718 - 150K
  • need_you1need_you1 Posts: 1
    edited December 1969

gilikshe said:
    I'm complete fascinated with the power of shaders to improve the scenes' look. Shader builder or shader mixer are excellent tools, saving money (until you become addicted to seamless resource packs :D) and giving flexibility in any render work. With an new PC which can support DS4.5, I feel that it is the moment to seriously try to advance in 3D. So, I go to use this thread to set my renders advances and general shader projects. Any opinion, advice or in deep criticism will be welcome, because these are a base to learning.
  • algovincianalgovincian Posts: 2,576
    edited December 1969

gilikshe said:
    Gedd said:
    Gotcha. Well if you can't do it all in shader builder, if it follows a standard format, or formats with some variations that could be narrowed down, you could always make a script in Photoshop to automate the post

In DS4 mix layers is easy, opacity appear to be possible with macro "opacity". I also need good recipes for darken and other layer types, and see if it works in DS4.

In case it cause me gray hairs without results, make it with scripts in photoshop is a great advice. :)

I know I'm commenting on an old post, but this thread is new to me. Thanks for taking the time to post all of your NPR work so we can all follow your progress - it's always interesting to follow somebody's workflow!

Not sure if you've ever checked out this site or not, but there's some great info about blending layers, and the math behind them:

http://www.simplefilter.de/en/basics/mixmods.html

- Greg

edited December 1969

gilikshe said:
    Gedd said:
    Gotcha. Well if you can't do it all in shader builder, if it follows a standard format, or formats with some variations that could be narrowed down, you could always make a script in Photoshop to automate the post

In DS4 mix layers is easy, opacity appear to be possible with macro "opacity". I also need good recipes for darken and other layer types, and see if it works in DS4.

In case it cause me gray hairs without results, make it with scripts in photoshop is a great advice. :)

I know I'm commenting on an old post, but this thread is new to me. Thanks for taking the time to post all of your NPR work so we can all follow your progress - it's always interesting to follow somebody's workflow!

Not sure if you've ever checked out this site or not, but there's some great info about blending layers, and the math behind them:

http://www.simplefilter.de/en/basics/mixmods.html

- Greg

Thanks. I only had the basic blends. This page have some that I don't have.