Asking for a little guidance in Morphs

litow14litow14 Posts: 0
edited December 1969 in New Users

I would like to get in to doing a lot of modeling creations with in Daz3d. I would need morphs and so on in order to make my own characters. I would like any one to point out what morphs i should buy and what they are best used for. I do not care about clothing as i will be making my own in Maya.

The reason i am asking is because when i look at the list morphs i get the list of 200+ things. If you can list what morphs you use that would be great. If you have any other questions please let me know.

Comments

• SzarkSzark Posts: 10,634
    edited December 1969

It all depends on what you want and what figure you are using, Genesis, Generation 4?
    Do you want fantasy, realistic and etc morphs?

And Daz Studio is a rendering and content creation tool but not a modelling program. :)

• litow14litow14 Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

I am looking to make some men and women. Also some creatures. Going more fantasy style. I have not bought any thing yet i have only played with daz3d for a few days.

I have been working with Maya some time now and i have made a ton of things. I was looking in to using Daz3d to make things more quickly and hopefully shorten my pipeline for making massive amount of people/creatures that all have some different looks. say a scene with 35 warriors not all 35 of them will look the same.

This is the list i have been looking into so far. any ideas?

Genesis Evolution: Morph Bundle $33
    Genesis Evolution: Muscularity $40
    Genesis Creature Creator Bundle $18
    Genesis Head Morph Resource Kit 4 $12
    Knights and Knaves for Genesis $13
    Michael 4 Creature Creator Morphs $12
    Michael 4 Base $30
    Fantasy Age Morphs $8
    The FREAK: Morphs and Maps $12
    Michael 3.0 Head & Body Morphs $20

edited April 2013

Base Figure Meshes:
    Genesis (Generation 5)
    M,V,and K4 (Generation 4)
    M3 etc (Generation 3)

At default Genesis will not accept any other Generation's Morphs. (The is a Plug-in call GenX but you would have to buy more products to make it work using older generation morph packs)

So like I said it depends on what Base figure you are going to use. If Genesis is the figure then anything made for Genesis will work without the need of an addition plug-in and associated shaping products.

Post edited by Szark on
  • litow14litow14 Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

ok so in my case.

Genesis Evolution: Morph Bundle $32.95
    Genesis Creature Creator Bundle $17.97
    Fantasy Shapes for Genesis $5.97
    and maybe the
    Genesis Head Morph Resource Kits?

Is all that i think i am going to need? with out buying everything and spending more then what is needed..

edited December 1969

Seems like you are on the right track now sweet.

If you are wanting to add that little extra in the way of mucsle detail then the Genesis Evolution: Muscularity http://www.daz3d.com/genesis-evolution-muscularity might be worth a look.

• JaderailJaderail Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

The genesis Head Resource Kits are a favorite of mine. I just got them myself. With these sets you will never have two figures that look alike. Very easy to use and Pro grade results. You can even tweak any of the other morphs and character morphs so your character is just that little bit different from everybody else's.

• SickleYieldSickleYield Posts: 7,629
    edited December 1969

And a free pack for different faces: http://www.sharecg.com/v/58198/view///#commentAnchor

• Joe CotterJoe Cotter Posts: 3,259
    edited April 2013

Well it depends on how much scope you want in your characters. There is the Ethnicity Bundle, various Merchant Resource Kits and individual Genesis characters all add to the morph gene pool, so any character will give an ability to dial in portions of that character into other Genesis characters. Individual Genesis characters can really expand your morph capabilities, especially in the fantasy realm, but also in ethnicity, age etc...

The main thing is that you want to stick with Genesis or newer (characters with a 5 in their name) generally. You can use Gen4 characters for their skins if they have a particularly nice one, mainly if they are fantasy skins etc... but beyond that Generation 4 and earlier characters will probably be too much work to hassle with in general for various reasons. Gen4 actually has a higher poly count while being less flexible, and Gen3 are usually too simplistic for many situations now. The one caveat to Gen4 characters (and occasionally Gen3) is that they sometimes will have a particular character in that generation that isn't available in Genesis due to being around for a while and being a very mature market. There are gen4 characters that mimic rl people for instance that aren't available in Genesis.

If you like the 'look' of a Gen3 character for toon type renders, you can get Gen3 Iconic Shapes and that will give the base Gen3 characters that can be mixed into the Genesis gene pool.

Gen 4 Iconic Shapes are generally used fitting clothing from Gen4 characters to Genesis so probably not something you would be interested in.

Post edited by Joe Cotter on
  • Tramp GraphicsTramp Graphics Posts: 2,404
    edited December 1969

litow14 said:
    I am looking to make some men and women. Also some creatures. Going more fantasy style. I have not bought any thing yet i have only played with daz3d for a few days.

I have been working with Maya some time now and i have made a ton of things. I was looking in to using Daz3d to make things more quickly and hopefully shorten my pipeline for making massive amount of people/creatures that all have some different looks. say a scene with 35 warriors not all 35 of them will look the same.

This is the list i have been looking into so far. any ideas?

Genesis Evolution: Morph Bundle $33
    Genesis Evolution: Muscularity $40
    Genesis Creature Creator Bundle $18
    Genesis Head Morph Resource Kit 4 $12
    Knights and Knaves for Genesis $13
    Michael 4 Creature Creator Morphs $12
    Michael 4 Base $30
    Fantasy Age Morphs $8
    The FREAK: Morphs and Maps $12
    Michael 3.0 Head & Body Morphs $20

IF I may make a suggestion, instead of just getting the Evolution Morph bundle, get the Genesis Starter Bundle. It comes with the Evolution Morph Bundle, as well as Troll for Genesis, Hampton Hair, and two outfits. It's also on sale right now.