Bryce 7 Mac Image Maps

GusFGusF Posts: 0
edited December 1969 in Bryce Discussion

Howdy!

Just installed Bryce 7 AGAIN, (newer version) hoping a major issue was corrected. Apparently not. Whenever I attempt to either copy from the clipboard or directly load in an image file into the "Picture Lab" to apply it as a texture, the picture comes in "washed out" with a bluish tinge to to. I've tried different file formats with the same results. Mac OS 10.6.8, ("Snowkitty"). All other functions appear to be working fine. But not being able to properly apply image textures puts a major crimp in the work flow.

Attached is a screen shot of the Picture Lab, and how the actual image map should look below it.

Gus Frederick
Silverton, OR

bryce7.png
665 x 670 - 434K

Comments

• OroborosOroboros Posts: 326
    edited December 1969

The Bryce 7 Image Library is borked. If you're lucky, you might get one image in the library correctly for the first try.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news. Don't shoot the messenger. Bryce 6.3's image library works fine, so I suggest building your scene in B6.3, and when you've finished modelling, bring it all into B7 if you need the lights and one or two other special tools.

• GusFGusF Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Thanks. Not what I wanted to hear. But I guess as the old saying goes, "You Get What You Pay For." Of course I'd gladly pay for Bryce 7 like I did for Bryces 3 through 6, if it worked. Guess I'll just stick with 6.

FWIW, attached is the Picture Lab view from Bryce 6 showing what it is suppose to look like:

Gus Frederick

bryce6.png
    655 x 498 - 272K
  • HoroHoro Posts: 10,116
    edited December 1969

This is a long known bug and affects only the Mac. Hopefully, it will be rectified in the not too distant future. You can have multiple Bryce versions installed on your computer if you put them in different folders. Just clicking on the icon of a source file may start the wrong version. If you start Bryce (whichever version) first, then load the file, you're fine. I have all versions from 4 up to 7.1 on my Win PC. Never replace a working software.

• edited December 1969

Thank you so much for posting this.
    I've been re-rendering old files, and decided to change textures on a couple items.
    One worked perfect, as expected, the other turned purple.
    I tried every file format i could think of for the texture, but none worked.
    At least I know it's not me.
    :-P

• edited December 1969

That loader bug was about driving me crazy - so thanks for confirming that issue. Unfortunately I have no former version to downgrade except the boxed version 6 - which holds other bugs I can´t workaround. Bummer.
    Any news/infos about a bug fixed release?
    Thanks.

Cheers
    F.

edited December 1969

I think Bryce 5 or 5.5 works for the picture import on the Mac. It should be possible to find them on a download service. These versions are free.

Important to know: you can install several versions of Bryce, provided you install them in different folders. You have to start the version you want and then open the scene file. If you click on the scene file, chances are that the wrong version loads.

• edited December 1969

Thanks for the heads up - (but is Bryce5 not PPC only?)
    I found a workaround by smuggling a Collada file through Cheetah3d containing image based textures - which loads just fine into Bryce - and then store the images into the mat library to use them from there. Worx!

Cheers
    F.

edited December 1969

Good to hear that you could find a workaround.

Bryce was initially a Mac only program. So from Bryce 1 up to 7.1 each version exists for the Mac as well.

• edited December 1969

Horo said:
    Good to hear that you could find a workaround.

Bryce was initially a Mac only program. So from Bryce 1 up to 7.1 each version exists for the Mac as well.

Oh well - I know as I started with v2 - but to be honest I never experienced so many issues unless Bryce finds its "final" home. ;-)
    Don´t get me wrong - I really liked Bryce and still do but sometimes there are no workarounds. ;-(

Cheers
    F.

• LordHardDrivenLordHardDriven Posts: 937
    edited December 1969

GusF said:
    Thanks. Not what I wanted to hear. But I guess as the old saying goes, "You Get What You Pay For." Of course I'd gladly pay for Bryce 7 like I did for Bryces 3 through 6, if it worked. Guess I'll just stick with 6.

FWIW, attached is the Picture Lab view from Bryce 6 showing what it is suppose to look like:

Gus Frederick

WEll based on what you are saying and what your picture shows, this is not a MAC only problem because I get the same thing with textures I import rather then bring in thru the Bryce/studio bridge. When I use the Bridge, if the textures are applied correctly in Studio they stay applied correctly in Bryce. When I import a texture through the texture source editor it comes in looking just like what you show in the attached image. That middle box is not supposed to be white. It's supposed to be more like a greyscale version of the box on the left. There is a simple fix, annoying in that it's an extra step but quite simple. With the box on the left see where it says copy and paste directly beneath it? Click copy. Now go to the box in the middle where everything is white and click paste. Before it pastes it'll ask if you want to delete or cancel, choose delete. This will overwrite what's in the white box and replace it with a greyscale version of what you pasted. After that when applied the texture should display correctly in your render if all the other material settings are correct (diffuse, ambient, specularity, bump, etc.).

Also this glitch isn't unique to 7.1 I was also getting it in Bryce 6 and 6.3 although in 6.3 I was able to count less on Studio applying textures correctly in Bryce.