New User Contest - April 2013

Scott LivingstonScott Livingston Posts: 4,331

New User's Contest - April 2013

Sponsored by DAZ 3D & Eva1

Are you new to the 3D World? Are you at the beginning stages of learning 3D rendering? Have you been around for a little bit but feel you could benefit from some feedback or instruction? Have you been around awhile and would like to help other members start their creative journey? Well then come and join the fun as we host our newest contest...

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________

"Surfaces, Materials, and Shaders"

This month we will focus on learning materials settings, including how to customize these settings and how to apply a shader. We will be focusing on DAZ Studio, Poser, Bryce, and Carrara this month.

Intent: To create a scene in which at least one key item contains no diffuse texture maps.
There are various approaches you can take, including using a textureless item, or retexturing your item(s) using shaders or shader presets. By eliminating the texture you will more easily be able to see the impact of changes to various materials settings. It will also encourage you to think creatively about lighting and composition.

This month's sponsor is Eva1. Eva1 will be offering a special prize to the contest winners from her DAZ 3D store: http://www.daz3d.com/eva1

I will be checking in on the WIP THREAD as will the rest of the Community Volunteers to try and help with anything you all may need.

For a list of the current contest rules, please see this thread: Contest Rules

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________

When working on your submissions, if you would like to get feedback as you work or before posting your final image, please post your image to the WIP THREAD . People will be popping in to the WIP THREAD to give you some critique and advice on your entry and help along the way. Please keep all comments on entries etc to the WIP THREAD as well because comments or requests for help/feedback/advice will be removed from the contest thread and merged into the WIP THREAD . This thread is only for posting final contest submissions.

For those veterans of the forums that would like to help, because this contest is designed for the beginner to learn from, we will be randomly selecting posts offering helpful tips and/or critiques to receive a special voucher as well so whether you are a seasoned artist or an aspiring one, there is fun for everyone!

Closing Date: April 30th, 2013

Post edited by frank0314 on

Comments

• Llola LaneLlola Lane Posts: 9,000
    edited April 2013

Rendered for the DAZ New User's Contest - April 2013, "Surfaces, Materials, and Shaders" member challenge

"FRIENDSHIP" reworked

I reworked last month's HELPING HANDS render. I felt like it belonged here because I used no textures but a LOT of bumpiness. I took away all the diffuse texture maps and just used a marble texture as my BUMPINESS... turned the dials waaaay up and wa la! I looooooooooove bumpiness :)

Rendered in DAZ Studio 4.5… signature postwork done in Paint Shop Pro 7

ENJOY!

STATUES_bumpiness_only_SIGNnN.jpg
    768 x 768 - 219K
    Post edited by Llola Lane on
  • Alpha01Alpha01 Posts: 160
    edited December 1969

I would like to submit this picture I made in Daz 4.5 and Photoshop afterwards.

The picture is called "a quick nap"

a_quick_nap.jpg
    800 x 600 - 441K
  • IndigoJansonIndigoJanson Posts: 1,100
    edited December 1969

My entry is: "Impulse Buyer"
    I used DAZ Studio 4.5, with GIMP for postwork.

Shaders were used on glass bowl, statue, objects (except horse, doll hair and mirror surface) and clothing.

Thank you to Eva and those who have helped with this contest. The entries above are very creative and interesting, and I look forward to seeing those not yet submitted.

impulse_buyer_800.jpg
    800 x 640 - 326K
  • HastyDaveHastyDave Posts: 109
    edited December 1969

Here's my entry, "The Three Graces".

I used DAZ Studio 4.5.

TheThreeGraces.jpg
    400 x 800 - 161K
  • StormlyghtStormlyght Posts: 666
    edited December 1969

Hi,

Below is my submission. I've run out of time to tweak this render further due to a business trip this week. For this portrait, I used a LuxRender glass shader for the eyes, LuxRender glossy translucent materials for the hair, and glossy translucent and volume materials for the skin. I also used a copper shader for the dress. Thank you for making this the user challenge this month because it gave me the incentive to finally learn more about shaders and materials.

tsrender.jpg
    1500 x 2000 - 1M
  • kittenwyldekittenwylde Posts: 151
    edited December 1969

Title: Hatchling
    Software Used: DAZ Studio, Photoshop

april_final.jpg
    800 x 800 - 339K
    edited April 2013

Rendered for the DAZ New User's Contest - April 2013, "Surfaces, Materials, and Shaders" member challenge

"Llola's Bronze"

I found a bronze portrait on the internet and thought I would try to copy it. It made a great learning tool for this month's challenge. I used NO diffuse textures. I've been working on it for a few weeks and I finally have it to where I'm satisfied. I've learned a LOT about shading. Thank you for the challenge.

USED: AC_RMFrameMirror, Genesis as Victoria 5 (wearing Aspasis Hair and MFD Exp2 Apron)

Rendered in DAZ Studio 4.5… signature postwork done in Paint Shop Pro 7

ENJOY!

P.S. Please see full size.. it's worth the extra clicks.. winks

BRONZE_3lights_wFRAME_DONE_SIGN.jpg
    1024 x 1024 - 226K
    Post edited by Llola Lane on
  • BlumBlumShubBlumBlumShub Posts: 1,108
    edited May 2013

Well now, I'm cutting this one fine, got less than half an hour before the contest closes!

I want to thank Howie Farkes for the amazing Darkwald set. As soon as I saw it I knew I could do a lot with it, but I never imagined ripping its guts out in a big re-shading effort! I think the only thing that hasn't been re-shaded entirely with procedurals is the group of smaller mushrooms.

I don't usually take this long over a render, but I was having far too much fun with this one! I've never used the Carrara shader room before, so this contest has taught me a lot. There is no postwork in this image.

Good luck everyone.

Title: Ethereal Realm
    Software: Carrara 8 Pro

EhterealFinal.jpg
    1200 x 1620 - 153K
    Post edited by BlumBlumShub on
  • edited December 1969

I am really late and likely too late for this so if it has to be cut I understand but I wanted to get it in anyway and if nothing else, share it with everyone. M5 is not the only object "retextured" in the scene but he is the main centerpiece if you will. Items on the girl's clothing & other attire has been altered as well. It's been a rough month here but I had a lot of fun doing this and I have learned A LOT! While I got some of the kinks worked out on my piece like the huge shadow the backdrop was casting on the right hand side, I still could not figure out how to get my water to work out like I wanted it to. I finally opted to change M5 to a gemstone in Gemologica that more replicated something marbleized but I feel it cut out the definition of his heroic bod. However, he is still a work of art *sighs contently as she gazes upon his massive awesomeness* I hope you all enjoy it and I wish everyone luck. Awesome renders everyone! I have enjoyed looking at all of them! =D

My piece is: Perfection in Howlite
    Software: D|S 4.5 Pro
    Rendered in LuxRender via Reality 2.5
    - No Postwork (not even time to stamp my name on it lol)

Perfection_in_Howlite.jpg
    800 x 600 - 83K
  • Scott LivingstonScott Livingston Posts: 4,331
    edited December 1969

The contest is officially closed.

The results will be posted here when available. Great work everyone!

• frank0314frank0314 Posts: 13,166
    edited May 2013

The Winners are

1st - Impulse Buyer by Jindi
    2nd - Ethereal Realm by BlumBlumShub
    HM - Hatchling by sithkitten

Most Helpful goes to evilproducer who will get a GC for helping out everyone.

Congratulation to the winners and all who took part in this months challenge. Will the 3 winners please contact me by PM with your DAZ email account and the link to the choice of 1 pack from Eva1's store.

Post edited by frank0314 on
  • Scott LivingstonScott Livingston Posts: 4,331
    edited December 1969

Congratulations to the winners! I felt that everyone who participated did a great job, and I hope you enjoyed the challenge.

• Eva1Eva1 Posts: 1,249
    edited December 1969

Congratulations to the winners! Well done to all the entrants too as the images posted were great, and some really interesting artistic ideas:-)

• evilproducerevilproducer Posts: 9,040
    edited December 1969

Very nice work everybody!

• IndigoJansonIndigoJanson Posts: 1,100
    edited December 1969

Just saw this. Wow, and thanks again Eva and everyone else for making this such a fun challenge.

edited December 1969

Congrats to the winners... See you next challenge :)

edited December 1969

Thank you very much, I'm really pleased to have got a placing amongst such excellent entries.

I think I shall consider myself graduated now, since I have placed twice!

Maybe I can even be of some use to others. I shall try.

• JaderailJaderail Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Your good BlumBlum. It is up to you, but as far as the understanding goes it takes 3 win's at 1rst to knock you out of the contests. Why stop trying for fun and maybe a prize if you are not asked too?

edited December 1969

Jaderail said:
    Your good BlumBlum. It is up to you, but as far as the understanding goes it takes 3 win's at 1rst to knock you out of the contests. Why stop trying for fun and maybe a prize if you are not asked too?

Hmmm, if them's the rules, them's the rules. Might have a look at May's then!
  • ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

Yup it is 3 strikes before you are out.

• JaderailJaderail Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Okay at this time I'm not 100% sure, it might be three wins total but those in the know will Post this soon I hope.