Importing OBJ file...

hiker_1hiker_1 Posts: 0
edited December 1969 in Daz Studio Discussion

when i attempt to import an OBJ file, it does just fine except that the groups are no longer there..... i check the box that says "read groups" but all i have is one big figure....

tia

Comments

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 96,849
    edited December 1969

That's right - the OBJ is not a figure, it's just a static prop. If you want to use it as a figure you need to bring it into the Figure Setup pane and give it a hierarchy based on its groups, or you need to export and import each group as a separate OBJ file, which ever is easier.

• hiker_1hiker_1 Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

so how do i give it a hierarchy when it's not recognizing the groups??

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 96,849
    edited December 1969

As I said, you use the Figure Setup pane - right-click in the Geometry panel, import your OBJ. Choose the type of rigging you want at the top. Drag the OBJ from the Geometry panel to the Hierarchy panel. Drag and drop the bones to arrange them as desired. Right-click to change rotation order, welding (if needed). Click Create. Now use the Joint Editor tool, and the polygon selection adn weight painting tools for tri Ax figures, to set the rigging up.

http://docs.daz3d.com/doku.php/public/software/dazstudio/4/userguide/creating_content/start

• hiker_1hiker_1 Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

ok.. that got me started....

Thanks Richard!