BRYCE RENDERING CHALLENGE Inaugural Challenge NEW BEGINNINGS.

Comments

• srieschsriesch Posts: 4,241
    edited December 1969

I also wonder where the final judging thread is, or will it just be added at the end?

Here's what I have at the moment, unless people think there should be changes to it. I was worried about the deadline, but actually with the advance notice it came together fairly well and didn't take a week to render each time, which helps. (That and I have WAY too much free time right now.)
    I was inspired to create an alien scene, hence the strange mostly blue plants and other oddities, with the "new beginnings" theme being the stranded spacefarer managing to create a new home here out of very little.
    Are the clouds too dark? They started out whiter, but there were washed-out bits that looked odd. I couldn't get a spectacularly good balance between too light, too dark, to thin, weird edges, and layers. I think this is ok, but I'm worried it might not be good enough.
    Go ahead and pick it apart. I may or may not agree and change anything, or I might totally agree and make changes.

a_new_beginning.jpg
    1434 x 1005 - 1M
    edited December 1969

GussNemo said:
    General question: For the past couple of days when I've tried to submit a post I've been getting another window saying Login Requested to Access this page. It usually takes 2-3 tries before the post is submitted. What gives?

I don't know, but it's not just you. Sometimes when I hit submit, it just erases what I type and puts me back on a blank screen. (luckily I've gotten into the habit of copying text to the clipboard since the forums occasionally eat my posts in the past, though much less often.) I've seen the login too sometimes, and if I do that, it just gives me an error. I'm just ignoring it and hoping its temporary.
  • GussNemoGussNemo Posts: 1,855
    edited December 1969

@Sean: Personally, I think the clouds look real good. This coming from a person who has yet to create any worth spit. I suppose you're calling that image Space Family Robinson? It's a really fun looking image with all the bits and pieces.

So far, knock on wood, I've been able to post normally. And I too have begun C/P my posts before submitting.

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

Login screens, blank boxes, etc etc, and also some cloudflare errors, Yes they are becoming more and more commonplace at the mo, and no one seems totally certain as to what is causing it. It did start for some of us around the same time as the DDoS attacks against SPamhaus, and so made sense that it could maybe be connected, becuase DAZ 3D uses CloudFlare as a caching and back up service, and ClouFlare is helping Spamhaus to cope with the DDoS attacks. At fistst it dod appear to be only affecting users on the European cloud, but it has spread now, so we more uncertain that our original premise may be the right one.

I will remember to put up the Actual entry thread sometime soon, but didn't want to do it too soon, and have it get lost somewhere, as I haven't stickied the challenge.

Stickies tend to get ignored. Plus it gives more of an indication of how things are going if the thread is left to find it's own level in the forum.

• MrSilusMrSilus Posts: 71
    edited December 1969

I also wonder where the final judging thread is, or will it just be added at the end?

Here's what I have at the moment, unless people think there should be changes to it. I was worried about the deadline, but actually with the advance notice it came together fairly well and didn't take a week to render each time, which helps. (That and I have WAY too much free time right now.)
    I was inspired to create an alien scene, hence the strange mostly blue plants and other oddities, with the "new beginnings" theme being the stranded spacefarer managing to create a new home here out of very little.
    Are the clouds too dark? They started out whiter, but there were washed-out bits that looked odd. I couldn't get a spectacularly good balance between too light, too dark, to thin, weird edges, and layers. I think this is ok, but I'm worried it might not be good enough.
    Go ahead and pick it apart. I may or may not agree and change anything, or I might totally agree and make changes.

No complaints from me! Looks awesome! Very detailed and unique :)

edited December 1969

OK I'll play.

Model from here http://graphics.cs.williams.edu/data/meshes.xml
    Lit like this Bryce 7.1 Pro Experiments - Hyper Surface Scattering - by David Brinnen
    With Horo's GarageOpen_3840.hdr that came with this http://www.daz3d.com/practical-bryce-7-1-pro-volume-1
    And an impossible one sided box shape made according to the tutorial here Bryce Mentoring DVD it an inside and no outside!
    All viewed through one of the new wide angle lenses from this http://www.daz3d.com/new-releases/bryce-7-1-pro-lenses-and-filters - currently on special offer along with other things too!

Very creepy sort of "assembly line", but as a render, it's very realistic and well done :)

edited December 1969

GussNemo said:
    Adjusted haze color and settings, and think I'll stick a fork in it.

Simple, but nice! I think the chosen colors for the entire setup are the best part :)

edited December 1969

It is easy for a thread to end up somewhere down the line, as fast as new threads are made. When the entry thread for the challenge gets posted it gets posted. No rush on my part.

I've noticed a lot of garbage being picked up by my ISP's spam filter, it had me wondering. Nice to finally understand what's taking place.

@Mr Silus: Thanks. I always try to tell myself to use the KISS principle in many things, landscapes included. For some reason I seem drawn towards that color. It could be I've seen more of that color in the RW than actual granite type mountains. Perhaps with more practice I'll get to the point where I feel real comfortable doing landscapes.

edited December 1969

Here's my second WIP. I only started working on it recently, so there's still a lot to do, but this will be the basic gist of it
    This actually serves as a connection to my first WIP, since this is right next to the island I made in that scene.

silus_wip_2.jpg
    640 x 400 - 48K
    edited December 1969

MrSilus, there is a free shipwreck model here http://www.planit3d.com/source/meshes_files/wreck.html which may fit in a bit better.

edited December 1969

chohole said:
    MrSilus, there is a free shipwreck model here http://www.planit3d.com/source/meshes_files/wreck.html which may fit in a bit better.

Thank you!
    But I'm not done with the scene yet. I just composed it and will be making many changes, including the ships. They certainly won't stay as they are in the WIP :)

edited December 1969

OK, I just happened to know where that wreck was, as I have used it before myself, and free is always a good price.

edited December 1969

chohole said:
    OK, I just happened to know where that wreck was, as I have used it before myself, and free is always a good price.

Indeed :)
    Thanks again!

edited December 1969

@Mr Silus: For a WIP it still looks good. I'm another one whose friend is anything that's free.

• adbcadbc Posts: 3,098
    edited December 1969

Just trying some scenes and did come up with this.

new_beginings3.jpg
    872 x 600 - 103K
    edited December 1969

adbc said:
    Just trying some scenes and did come up with this.

Very nice! The water/ocean is especially good looking :)

edited December 1969

@adbc: Nice results.

• JennKJennK Posts: 834
    edited December 1969

Trying my hand at Bryce for the second time. After getting frustrated and putting the program aside I decided to try again. Here is my first WIP as well as only my second render in Bryce ever. All comments welcome.

snowglobe2.jpg
    875 x 816 - 426K
    edited December 1969

JK0011 said:
    Trying my hand at Bryce for the second time. After getting frustrated and putting the program aside I decided to try again. Here is my first WIP as well as only my second render in Bryce ever. All comments welcome.

Glad you are back. Anything specific you were frustrated with we might be able to eliminate the frustration from?
    edited December 1969

JK0011 said:

THe globe that is surrounding her, if you use mroe specularity, it would give it more definition, so it looks less flat.

edited December 1969

JK0011 said:

If this is your second render ever, then you're in the right track I would say :)
    As was already suggested by chohole, you might want to add a better material to the globe, so that it looks more like glass (unless you weren't looking for that effect).

• JennKJennK Posts: 834
    edited December 1969

@ Sean Riesch - Thanks, and honestly it was the whole program just getting used to it's way of doing things I sometimes don't have the best of patience ;-)

@ chohole - thanks that has helped a great deal I am still learning what everything does.

@ MrSilus - Thank you I tried using a glass material on the globe but it made the interior rather dark. But now that I think about it that could be because I didn't change any of the transparency settings :down: yes I am a newbie.

• HoroHoro Posts: 10,117
    edited December 1969

JK0011 said:
    @ Sean Riesch - Thanks, and honestly it was the whole program just getting used to it's way of doing things I sometimes don't have the best of patience ;-)

I know what you mean. I had that also in the beginning - it changed the moment I looked at the interface as some sort of an adventure game where there are many treasures hidden.
    edited December 1969

@JK001: I'm also one of those who got frustrated and left Bryce alone for some time. Decided to give it another try one day, since I was wanting something to do on the computer, and found a lot of tutorials that really helped. David and Horo have several on You Tube that really helped. Plus, I was starting to see results. As to your image, it would also benefit from shadows that would be seen behind the globe base. And if you adjusted the transparency a bit more you could even get light to go through the globe and hit the ground behind the globe. And maybe a different sky to give the scene a brighter look? Unless you want it as shown. But for your second attempt, that's a darn good image.

• bighbigh Posts: 8,147
    edited December 1969

wip 1

wip_1.jpg
    1274 x 695 - 235K
    edited April 2013

JK0011 said:

had a quick try. Used a glass mat with a combo of 100% specularity and 35% reflection, trans at 75% and refraction at an index of 100. I was actually quite pleased that I got the reflection on the glass to look as though she had a flare in her hand.

snowglobe.jpg
    540 x 720 - 40K
    Post edited by Chohole on
    edited December 1969

@Pam: Nice results. To me it seems the figure has a bit of transparency. Could that be because of the settings for the globe material?

• useroperatoruseroperator Posts: 247
    edited April 2013

well I came across this thread and may enter something.

I've been messing around with bryce for years on and off, at least 10 I'd say. I was messing around with it the other day, and this is one of the things I came up with....

not my best work, but it was modeled in hexagon.

vas6.png
    2000 x 1500 - 682K
    Post edited by useroperator on
    edited December 1969

@user: That's a pretty image. Love the reflections on the water.

• useroperatoruseroperator Posts: 247
    edited April 2013

this one's just for fun, but I'll probably bring in some more serious renders when I have the time to work on them in detail.

It's titled...."Let's make some new beginnings baby.....in my pants!"

vas1111.png
    1452 x 1089 - 418K
    Post edited by useroperator on