spaceship

Comments

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,099
    edited December 1969

3DAGE said:

Tugpsx was working on a plugin for DS to Octane,.. and if that went well,. the next step would be to look at making a Carrara to octane plugin.
    Yeah
    Here it is! Wow!
    That what I thought all the hype was about Lux, but it's slower. I wonder if this mean that they're working on a Carrara version?
    edited December 1969

I know there's convertors out there... but I can never remember where dollars are to Euros. Even still, 199 Euros shouldn't be too much in Dollars either. Not for technology like this. Then another 99 Euros for the D|S plugin. I might just get that when I upgrade my graphics card.
    Oh... mine has 48 CUDA cores, that's a start, anyways! :)

• Jay_NOLAJay_NOLA Posts: 1,145
    edited April 2013

Dratanbeck,

thought I had posted that link before. Might have been on the old site. It has a page about 3D meshes people have made of ships after reading it and links to a forum the specializes in 3D spacecraft modeling.

The creator of the site also has a site dedicated to space maps that has links to some cool free programs on it. See the link at the bottom of the post.

Your not missing much by not watching TV. Most of the current sci fi shows have gotten so bad with junk science and plots that defy any logic in he stories. Plus, the crime shows you mentioned are so unrealistic and full of things that don't exist and never will. I work in the legal field and found that those shows have done more to make people think what can be done.

On a plus note I do get to do some 3D stuff just for court asses now thanks to 3D models showing up on those TV shows.

brianorca & 3DAGE

Very nice ships. :)

The Octane to DS is out you have to buy the plugin and you have to have Octane to use it. Same deal with the Poser one. Both are in beta 1.0. The older DS Octane Beta plugin didn't require you to buy it as it didn't ask for a registration info, you just need to have Octane.

Only thing I don't like about Octane aside from the high costs for the plugins (Note:The costs are going to go up when the are out of the beta) is that you need to be connected to the net for Octane to run.

A Carrara plugin was in development. on the old forums they had a picture showing a very early beta of it. No info on it at Octane forums and it isn't given on the current plugins under development. I think they are trying to get the Poser, DAZ, etc. other ones done first.

Glad everyone like the Atomic Rocket site.

The sister site is on star chars is at:

http://www.projectrho.com/public_html/starmaps/

The creator, Winchell's, main site is at:

http://www.projectrho.com/

He did the artwork for some classic sci fi wargames including Ogre.

Post edited by Jay_NOLA on
    edited December 1969

Jay_NOLA said:

Glad everyone like the Atomic Rocket site.

The sister site is on star chars is at:

http://www.projectrho.com/public_html/starmaps/: 404 Error - Site not found :(

The creator, Winchell's, main site is at:

http://www.projectrho.com/

He did the artwork for some classic sci fi wargames including Ogre.

Very cool. You know... I'm a total fantasy buff. Swords, Sorcery, and Dragons. Skimpy bikinis and loin cloths. I just love the stuff. But this SciFi, as with true space science, just thrills me. I love the rocket ships and anti-matter weapons threatening mankind...
    Thanks to some great products I bought from the Daz3d store, special note to Flipmode's Planetarium and I believe it was Orestes Graphics who did the Neitherhenge and Access 1510... I have found a way to intermix the two genres within a single episode!
    But being on the Platinum Club has been a true blessing to my projects. I'll see a mini-sub on there... "Whoa... change it from yellow, and it'll be great in space!", I thought. But then, when I got the Low-Res MU14 Worker, who can wear a nice, yellow suit, I ended up leaving everything as it comes - put 'em in the Sci Fi Scene... Jammin! :) And now this new Daz3d artist at Platinum Club, Petipet, with the new space and air craft... Yeah!!!! I got a great variety going!

For those who may not have seen it yet, my Just for Fun video has some cool SciFi Space stuff starting at 4:00 in the video. I enjoy watching the whole thing from time to time. But don't expect it to make sense. It was made from test clips that got me to have the collection of car files that I have today. I look back at that video with pride... I really like most of it.

Oh... But I linked to that video, because at 4:00 you see the reason I created Starry Sky for Carrara. I bought the entering ship from Simon3d at Renderosity. He has a store here too. When Rosie launches her craft from that ship, she's flying a ship I bought from petipet here, for $1.99! :) I love it, as with the rest of his collection. The Stone Mason "Arc" scene was testing cone light FX, and a down the stairs animation I added to a walk. TheAntFarm's Techo Station was another test - and then I decided to make that the location where I'd attempt Rosie's ship landing sequence. She does a quick scan of the entrance before landing. Man, I love this stuff!

edited April 2013

I fixed the Star Charts link in that post try it now. It had an extra character get added to the link during the cut and paste.

The plugin converter was about $135 I checked the price on it a week ago. Been trying not to spend much money this week so I can buy it and save for the Poser one.

edited December 1969

Wow. Cool! Have you ever tried out Celestia? It is a free, 3d map of our universe. You may get additional addons for various things, like Star Wars and Star Trek addons for ships, locations in space, etc., I love it.
    As much as I am a Sci Fi nut, I never tried any of the Sci Fi addons. I got the educational lessons packs. All of them. You use a free MS Word reader, unless you own Word, and use hyperlinks. As you read the supporting educational text book in word, he'll tell you to click on a hyperlink which switches your view through Celestia. It also tells Celestia what to do. to make the lessons fun, he puts you in an imaginary space ship called "The Celestia 1". He demonstrates what it looks like to travel the same speed as the fastest mankind has gone so far. Then he takes you faster, all the while teaching you how to control the Celestia 1 on your own. He demonstrates how slow the speed of light is when you're traveling within our little solar system. Which isn't at all little, but is tiny compared to the universe. Anyways... very neat stuff. I explored the making of Earth's Moon, which was awesome. I went through many of his lessons - perhaps all. But that's the only thing I've ever done in Celestia. It's been around for long time and just keeps getting better - our own, real universe mapped out into 3d space within your computer in such a way that runs really fast, even on older systems. Amazing!

To the Original Post creator - and others enjoying the idea of creating, rather than buying, your own space ships, or whatever, I just watched the beginning of Infinite Skills: Advanced Carrara Techniques series last night. I almost forgot this about this particular series. Phil Wilkes, the instructor (whom is awesomely perfect, by the way) explains, right up front, that this is a continuation from the Basic Skills series, where we learned about the tools and rooms of Carrara. In this series, I'd like to show you how to get more use out of making your own content, rather than buying it.

This is what I came in here to tell you about, because this seems to be the outlying topic of the thread. So if you haven't coughed up $100 yet for this great educational experience, you're not really doing yourself any favors, unless you're already knowledgeable to Modeling, UV Editing, Rigging, Animating, Creating your own Textures from Scratch... besides all of the other cool thing you learn in here, like using and creating dynamic hair, building a city out of a single flat plane by using Carrara's ever so powerful displacement system within the shader room. He teaches how to build a beautiful airplane - and everything he teaches, comes with every step of the way, saved into an easy to find folder system of working files. So if you get stuck, just load one of those in and compare it with your scene. Carrara is somewhat unique in that it can handle having several files open at the same time. Just use the Window menu to switch back and forth. He even teaches some techniques in Photoshop. Like making distribution maps for replicators, using Carrara and Photoshop to create HDRI, using Carrara's internal paint system to get your own model's textures started, then take them into Photoshop to make them more perfect, etc.,
    To me, since I'm into Carrara for the long haul... this series is worth far beyond the $100.00 USD. Although the lessons really stick with you, I often load them up again to remember certain things that I know I'm just not doing right. You know how that goes? At the end of the whole series, he finally offers some of his credentials. Sort of an 'About Me' sort of thing. Wow. PhilW is one impressive individual. In the 3d realm... he's been there through it all. But after learning through his whole series, you get the impression that he is really a very nice guy. You just want to sit down with him and share tea, cookies... maybe Lobster and cocktails instead... I like both, myself. Well, or I could whip up one of my really delicious stir-fries. Rosie says mine are the best!

edited December 1969

I've tried it out. Just had to unistall it after reading your post since I noticed a newer build was out, and I wanted the newest one.

Had to do update MyPaint today.

Have you tried AstroSynthesis 3.0.

It is a paid program, but you can do some cool stuff with. It also .lets you make animated movies that you can export with it. The site has 4 sample animated movies you can see.

http://www.nbos.com/products/astro/astro.htm

It is sold in a bundle with Fractal Mapper 8 on RPGNow which as I recall a bit cheaper that getting both separately.

edited December 1969

But I already own FM 8! :(
    Hey... maybe nbos will give me a deal! LOL
    Nah... They deserve to get paid. Yeah... I saw that it makes avi footage. Very cool! Now to and find MyPaint and see what that's all about. One of these days, Jay... I coming over to inspect your computer and jotting down all of the software you have, and make a big link collection for it all! LOL

edited December 1969

Wow. MyPaint looks cool. Having Dogwaffle, I think, obliterates my need for it, though - as I love how I can draw and paint using my tablet in Dogwaffle! :)

edited December 1969

Might as well mention one other program, but you don't need it since you have FM8.

http://www.profantasy.com/products/ft.asp

AstroSynthesis 3.0 has integration with it.

I was earlier doing an experiment with Astro. Export as an avi and use it as animated texture for a computer screen in Carrara.

But I already own FM 8! :(
    Hey... maybe nbos will give me a deal! LOL
    Nah... They deserve to get paid. Yeah... I saw that it makes avi footage. Very cool! Now to and find MyPaint and see what that's all about. One of these days, Jay... I coming over to inspect your computer and jotting down all of the software you have, and make a big link collection for it all! LOL
  • 3DAGE3DAGE Posts: 3,311
    edited December 1969

HI Jay :)

Jay Nola wrote:

Only thing I don’t like about Octane aside from the high costs for the plugins (Note:The costs are going to go up when the are out of the beta) is that you need to be connected to the net for Octane to run.

Only when you run the program for the first time,.. (to register the account licence on your machine)
    or,.. if you want to use the "on-Line" database of materials.

with the exception of those situations,. you can be off-line, and using octane to render.

however,. I've had broadband for a couple of years,. and the connection has never been "off line" since I got it, so i guess I don't see being on-line as an issue, because i'm always connected.

I think a couple of the early beta versions "had to be" on-line,. due to the way the licence system worked at that time, but,. On-line verification relies on "both" parties being on-line,.. and that's not always the case,. so in the situation of Octanes servers crashing) all users would (in theory) be incapable of working with the product,. or registering it
    the original system was changed, ..and now the initial registration / licence ,. and access to the on-line shaders database, are the only parts which rely on the user being on-line.

I agree that the pricing for plugins and licences is costly,. but ,..
    here's the results of the "quick test" to show the database of shaders, click for full

:)

craft_oct.jpg
    1280 x 720 - 447K
    edited April 2013

Dartanbeck :)

the currency exchange rate changes all the time,. so...

here's a great web site for you,... www.xe.com

It's a great currency exchange (and conversion) site,. updated with the latest currency rates, and allows you to type in an amount (in any currency) and convert that amount to any other currency. as well as many other things.

so,.. Today,. 99 euro's is 129.811 US Dollars,.. 199 euro's is 260.932 US Dollars

Post edited by 3DAGE on
  • GarstorGarstor Posts: 1,411
    edited December 1969

3DAGE said:

Absolutely! Wonderful and easy to use site. I am also checking out the other sites that people have been posting in this thread.

Months ago, evilproducer started up a thread for space scenes -- there were several good Photoshop plugins mentioned there. Alas, I do not have the links immediately handy -- but do a search for "Flaming Pear" and you'll find them. Solarcell and Glitterato, I believe were the names.

A little bit later on, I'll share out what I have done with my own spaceship model.

edited December 1969

3DAGE said:
    Dartanbeck :)

the currency exchange rate changes all the time,. so...

It's a great currency exchange (and conversion) site,. updated with the latest currency rates, and allows you to type in an amount (in any currency) and convert that amount to any other currency. as well as many other things.

so,.. Today,. 99 euro's is 129.811 US Dollars,.. 199 euro's is 260.932 US Dollars

Thank you... you didn't have to do that! :)
    But don't you agree? That's not bad for all that speed and accuracy. Look at that ship you have there... Beautiful! I'm really Really happy with Carrara's wonderful Render bits. I really am, especially after last night - staying up 'till three tweaking on it with my favorite Heroine ;-) That Rosietreats just makes me smile! :)
    But to invest two and a half hundy, and then another bill on a plugin to takes advantage of CUDA core rendering? Say it with me... Sa Weeet!
    edited December 1969

But to invest two and a half hundy, and then another bill on a plugin to takes advantage of CUDA core rendering? Say it with me... Sa Weeet!

I'm giving it some very serious thought! My employer provides me with a $1000 that I can spend on anything that I'm passionate about (yes, there are moral limitations...so don't go there... ;-) ). So I am leaning toward a kick-butt video card.

BTW, we're hiring... :-D

edited December 1969

So this model was just going to be an engine nacelle and winglet for a larger spaceship. One of my friends suggested turning it into something asymmetrical.

So it got twisted 90 degrees...tried to slap on cockpit windows (ugly enough, that is exactly how they look...slapped on...) and then thought about arming it. The top turret could be rigged to rotate and elevate if I had real skillz.

I'll export this to a CAR if anyone wants it. Only a few shading domains set.

ss5-back.png
    1920 x 1080 - 377K
    ss5-front.png
    1920 x 1080 - 381K
    edited December 1969

Here is the spaceship exported to Carrara via OBJ. I ran Crease Edges in a few places (too many places to be honest) and re-did the shaders in Carrara.

The background is using Dartanbeck's Starry Sky product -- if you are one of the few who haven't bought it, please correct that oversight immediately! :-)

ss5-carrara.png
    1920 x 1080 - 210K
    edited December 1969

I love it! Especially after Prof. Chaos' remarks about streamlining sleek necessities. Or better, a lack, therein! lol
    Man... that front looks neat... like the crew can exit the craft through there, perhaps. It likely has detectors installed in there to take readings of the composition of elements you come across and to take vacuum reading and such. Pretty neat!

edited December 1969

I love it! Especially after Prof. Chaos' remarks about streamlining sleek necessities. Or better, a lack, therein! lol
    Man... that front looks neat... like the crew can exit the craft through there, perhaps. It likely has detectors installed in there to take readings of the composition of elements you come across and to take vacuum reading and such. Pretty neat!

Dang, I sure am glad that somebody thought of a use for that! I was stumped! :red: Maybe since I put time into it with the idea of it being the intake for an engine (then again, intake what in deep space?)

edited December 1969

Garstor said:
    Here is the spaceship exported to Carrara via OBJ. I ran Crease Edges in a few places (too many places to be honest) and re-did the shaders in Carrara.

The background is using Dartanbeck's Starry Sky product -- if you are one of the few who haven't bought it, please correct that oversight immediately! :-)

I recognized the difference before I ever read your post. Living in the sticks of Wisconsin, we get to see those stars. I'm sorry but I love the way those stars look! Not braggin', just sayin'

Before I saw that pic, I was tempted to say: "Geeze, Gars-Man... You want me to seee about making a Starry Sky for Lightwave?" lol

edited December 1969

Before I saw that pic, I was tempted to say: "Geeze, Gars-Man... You want me to seee about making a Starry Sky for Lightwave?" lol

A+ for effort chummer -- but LightWave comes with a Star Sphere tool. The big plus with Starry Sky is that you put in some earth visible constellations...Star Sphere is just random.

I didn't use Star Sphere for those renders -- I put a procedural texture on the background...renders much faster.

edited December 1969

Hey 3DAGE,

good to know that the online connection requirement got dropped. I was using Octane a lot last year in the betas and the net connection thing was a major pain with the betas since I don't have 24/7 net access. One lawyer I sometimes work for put all sorts of net and computer restriction access things in place so I'm very grateful that net access requirement was dropped, so I can actually do work related renders at that place of work on my laptop because of that.

I've sill got the older DS Octane beta plugin version I downloaded before the newer one was released which requires registration, and it works great still. No denying Octane gives fantastic renders, just was a bit surprised at how much the plugins are going to cost. Actually I'm going to spend more on the plugins that I did on Octane.

Very nice render, y the way.

I actually bought Octane early last year because of some renders you did using it that you had posted on the old forum.

3DAGE said:
    HI Jay :)

Jay Nola wrote:

Only thing I don’t like about Octane aside from the high costs for the plugins (Note:The costs are going to go up when the are out of the beta) is that you need to be connected to the net for Octane to run.

Only when you run the program for the first time,.. (to register the account license on your machine)
    or,.. if you want to use the "on-Line" database of materials.

with the exception of those situations,. you can be off-line, and using octane to render.

however,. I've had broadband for a couple of years,. and the connection has never been "off line" since I got it, so i guess I don't see being on-line as an issue, because i'm always connected.

I think a couple of the early beta versions "had to be" on-line,. due to the way the licence system worked at that time, but,. On-line verification relies on "both" parties being on-line,.. and that's not always the case,. so in the situation of Octanes servers crashing) all users would (in theory) be incapable of working with the product,. or registering it
    the original system was changed, ..and now the initial registration / licence ,. and access to the on-line shaders database, are the only parts which rely on the user being on-line.

I agree that the pricing for plugins and licences is costly,. but ,..
    here's the results of the "quick test" to show the database of shaders, click for full

edited December 1969

UIC has a plugin and stand alone version. Check out the gallery links of images that people did using it. If you click on am image it will tell you what was used.

http://www.diardsoftware.com/contests/April05contest_entries.htm

http://www.diardsoftware.com/contests/July05contest_entries.htm

http://www.diardsoftware.com/contests/June05contest_entries.htm

http://www.diardsoftware.com/contests/May05contest_entries.htm

http://www.diardsoftware.com/contests/feb05contest_entries.htm

http://www.diardsoftware.com/contests/jan05contest_entries.htm

http://www.diardsoftware.com/contests/march05contest_entries.htm

If you want it the main site that sells it is at:

http://www.diardsoftware.com/

Garstor said:
    3DAGE said:

Absolutely! Wonderful and easy to use site. I am also checking out the other sites that people have been posting in this thread.

Months ago, evilproducer started up a thread for space scenes -- there were several good Photoshop plugins mentioned there. Alas, I do not have the links immediately handy -- but do a search for "Flaming Pear" and you'll find them. Solarcell and Glitterato, I believe were the names.

A little bit later on, I'll share out what I have done with my own spaceship model.

edited December 1969

it looked like it was part of a deflector or sensor that wasn't finished. Cold even be a wave motion gun or a scoop for hydrogen.

Garstor said:

Dang, I sure am glad that somebody thought of a use for that! I was stumped! :red: Maybe since I put time into it with the idea of it being the intake for an engine (then again, intake what in deep space?)

edited December 1969

Hi :)

Nice "different" ship Garstor :)

You can select the Gun (section) from your model ship,. then copy that / then add a new Vertex object, and then paste,.
    then go back to your original shape and delete the Gun part from there. ....fill in the hole if needed.

Now you have two objects,. which can be positioned in the Scene Assembly room. then,. you can drag 'n' drop the Gun, onto the Main ship (in the Scene Instance list) to "Parent" the gun to the ship,..

now you can select the ship and move it,. and the gun will also move.

Select the gun, and rotate it,. and the ship remains unaffected,. so, now you can animate the ship moving,. and the gun can also be animated independently.of the ship motion.

Jay. :) funny thing,.. i was working last night and got a message about octane live being off-line,.. but it still allowed me to work and render in octane,..
    That's the first time I've seen that,..

edited December 1969

3DAGE said:
    Nice "different" ship Garstor :)

I applaud your use of euphimism sir! :lol:

You can select the Gun (section) from your model ship,. then copy that / then add a new Vertex object, and then paste, then go back to your original shape and delete the Gun part from there...fill in the hole if needed.

Now you have two objects,. which can be positioned in the Scene Assembly room. then,. you can drag 'n' drop the Gun, onto the Main ship (in the Scene Instance list) to "Parent" the gun to the ship,..

now you can select the ship and move it,. and the gun will also move.

Select the gun, and rotate it,. and the ship remains unaffected,. so, now you can animate the ship moving,. and the gun can also be animated independently.of the ship motion.

I think LightWave is a little bit different -- I need to play with it more. It uses a layer system not unlike PhotoShop. I think I would prefer to rig the model and thus support animation with keyframes. One day, I'll get that good. ;-)

Yesterday, I spent some time correcting UVs because the sub-division really stretched some pixels badly. Better UV mapping skills is something else I need to develop.

In some PM, I mentioned to evilproducer and Dartanbeck that I'd like to try modeling in both Carrara and LightWave -- make the two models as close to each other as possible. It might be educational. :-)

edited April 2013

3DAGE,

I just went and bought the Poser and DAZ Plugins for Octane

The Manuals say that you only need internet accesses the first time you go to run them so they can be activated.

Dartanbeck,

I did some price checking today when I was buying the plugins.

(Standalone) 199.00 EUR = 260.310 USD

(Plugin) 99.00 EUR = 129.505 USD

(Standalone + Plugin Bundle) 279.00 EUR = 364.984 USD

Better to buy the Bundle

Note: my price for the plugin was about $3 more even though I checked the exchange rate right before placing the separate orders for each one.

The Octane forums also have some updates for the plugin.

The DAZ one has a exe installer and then you have to go to the forums and download a zzip and manually install update files.

It can take up to 24 hours for the license to be added to use a plugin.

Norton also ate the DAZ one.

Carrara one was announced on the Octane forums back in November of 2011 and no new news on development on it, just that it was planned.

The older free beta DAZ plugin alsowould worked in Studio 3, the newer one is 4.5 only.

edited December 1969

If that think really renders as fast as I'm thinking it would... doesn't that seem a decent deal? Not sure. To me it seems a very fair price. But I've never had to try and make it work. The new Lux beta has a new area built into the Carrara shader system so you can create special shaders for use with the Lux Render engine. I'm glad the dev is doing it that way - because I need to prepare everything far in advance. I have some fairly complex scenes that are ready to render. Just bring in the actors, animate, call in the camera crew and shoot. If I had to set up shaders at render time, I'd never find the time to render. With Carrara, I can Batch stuff and leave.
    My desk has my large screen high octane laptop just above the keyboard for my workstation. This way, if I need to multitask, I'm less opt to use my workstation to do it. I simply lift the screen on the laptop and multitask on that. Both mice share the same space: Right is workstation, left is laptop. Works really, really well. Then I have my new Windows 8 Netbook and a Win7 netbook for when I need to be away from my desk. Those are my answer to the smart phone. :)

• thoromyrthoromyr Posts: 452
    edited December 1969

So, yeah.. someone mentioned Lightwave. I googled it and looked at the website. Almost crapped my pants. Is it hard to learn this?

GUY! I have a full version of Lightwave 8, Had it for years and I always go back to HEX. Hex is a pleasure to use. WHILE it does not work on the latest MAC OS! I use it on mt older G5 10 os

Ah, but it does work! I thought it didn't either, and then I really needed it for something. IIRC what worked was re-downloading it, uninstalling and reinstalling. It'd been pulled in from an install on an older computer (unlike Windows, on OS X you don't have to reinstall software -- at least that's been my experience, even with Adobe's products). But the latest Hexagon works on 10.8

(maybe this was mentioned already, but there are too many pages to get through and I'm about in trouble for being on the computer too long...)

• thoromyrthoromyr Posts: 452
    edited December 1969

Garstor said:
    So this model was just going to be an engine nacelle and winglet for a larger spaceship. One of my friends suggested turning it into something asymmetrical.

So it got twisted 90 degrees...tried to slap on cockpit windows (ugly enough, that is exactly how they look...slapped on...) and then thought about arming it. The top turret could be rigged to rotate and elevate if I had real skillz.

I'll export this to a CAR if anyone wants it. Only a few shading domains set.

I think you are over estimating the work required for simple rigging. I modeled a kick wheel in Carrara a while back and rigged it. The modeling is garbage (I was even worse back then), but rigging was easy. IIRC, it was just a matter of putting in the bones, attaching, then editing the influence. And for mechanical rigs that is very very simple: its 100% or 0% :)