spaceship

Comments

• GarstorGarstor Posts: 1,411
    edited December 1969

Thanks man I will. I just downloaded it. You should make a tutorial on how you made this.

Thank-you. I am flattered.

The effort behind this really isn't worth a full-blown tutorial -- though I do like teaching (I mostly do talks for my company on SQL Server...that PowerPoint stuff I've mentioned on this thread).

Check out cripeman's YouTube tutorials on Carrara. I also mentioned PhilW's awesome training package from Infinite Skills.

Above all, play with the tools yourself and feel free to ask questions of people here. Most of us are really pleasant and try our best to be helpful.

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,099
    edited December 1969

Roygee said:
    Geekatplay has great project-based, very detailed tuts - wish there was something like this for Carrara!

Last I looked, Hex was $19.99 - great value for a superb modeler:)

Take a look at http://www.scifi-meshes.com/forums/forum.php - most users are high-end, but it is great for inspiration, backgrounds and many other resources - not to mention the free stuff!Getting there:
    Cripeman's Carrara Video Tutorials Index
    Check out some of the tuts under modeling.
    He also doesn't feel that Carrara is a strong modeler.
    I think that some of that is true, but I think that a lot of it comes from the fact that it's different, and it feels different. I feel that Hex is sub-par to Carrara when I get into it, simply because I can't navigate around my object as I'm used to. So some of it may simply come from a different feel... but perhaps Carrara truly is missing some key elements that real modelers find missing. I'm not sure.

Last I looked, Hex was $19.99 - great value for a superb modeler:)

I really love having this as part of my kit. Even though I model everything in Carrara, the bridge between this and D|S gives some amazing features beyond what's being discussed here.

DaRkWyNdE,
    Awesome stuff! Very nice mesh work.

Garstor, I missed your model... I'll quick go back a page and find it!

edited December 1969

Prepare to be underwhelmed. :-)

DarkWynde's stuff is 10,000x better.

edited December 1969

Garstor said:
    Here's the rough thing that I threw together between ignoring customers this morning...

@laynemoore: you are welcome to an OBJ of this if you like...or I can import it into Carrara 8 and give you a CAR file.

Agreed, with one exception: This looks like a Hero ship to me! Bad guys should get a pile of sh... um... poopies to drive!
    Then again, it does have a nice, sleek, stealthy design... Giving an added edge to the bad folks in a cool ship is a good tactic too.

Great job Gars-Man!!!

• edited December 1969

So, yeah.. someone mentioned Lightwave. I googled it and looked at the website. Almost crapped my pants. Is it hard to learn this?

GUY! I have a full version of Lightwave 8, Had it for years and I always go back to HEX. Hex is a pleasure to use. WHILE it does not work on the latest MAC OS! I use it on mt older G5 10 os

edited December 1969

Garstor said:

DarkWynde's stuff is 10,000x better.You sell yourself short. While I agree that DarkWynde's stuff is excellent, I'm here to tell you that yours is really nice. Look like a good mesh - and it has a really cool look to it!

edited December 1969

So, yeah.. someone mentioned Lightwave. I googled it and looked at the website. Almost crapped my pants. Is it hard to learn this?

GUY! I have a full version of Lightwave 8, Had it for years and I always go back to HEX. Hex is a pleasure to use. WHILE it does not work on the latest MAC OS! I use it on mt older G5 10 osYa know... I'll have to spend a nice, long weekend in Hexagon sometime soon. I remember looking into it a while back, on the old forums, and there were some folks there who were regular posters who did absolutely amazing wonders in there. RichardChaos and DarkWynde have been using it to make super cool models, Roygee and HeadWax... As much as I love modeling in Carrara, I also have Hexagon. Poor little guy is all lonely, sitting there unopened for over a year now :(
    I better go in and have some fun.

Also, as I've mentioned earlier:
    D|S and Hexagon bridge together. If you want to add a morph to something, you can send it from D|S to Hexagon, make your tweaks, and send it back to D|S, and the bridge will assist you in the rest! It's like magic, I always say!
    More,
    If what you want to add morphs to would benefit by having a second model with it, you can send whatever is selected from D|S to Hex. Then whatever model you don't want changed can be locked. Now you have a mannequin to work from! That's what I've been using it for. I'll have to hop in and build from scratch now. See what I can do with a little exploration time.

edited April 2013

For Sci Fi work, however (or anything else, really), you should know that Carrara's Vertex Modeler has it's own replicator built in. Meaning that you can make a part, and reproduce it in many different ways within the same vertex model. If you've mapped it already, or added morphs, etc., that all carries through in the replication. Might be something fun to try, as with many of Carrara's other features.
    Edit:
    Here's how I found out about that:

Pete Gregorio has a wonderful online video tutorial that demonstrates some
    wonderful features within Carrara's Vertex Modeler: Carrara 8 Gears Tutorial

It's very cool!
    Post edited by Dartanbeck on
    edited December 1969

GUY! I have a full version of Lightwave 8, Had it for years and I always go back to HEX.

Says he who has not seen the latest 11.5 version... :lol:

I know; you're a Hex fan-boy -- just like Dart is a Carrara fan-boy. It's all good...we're friends here.

• RoygeeRoygee Posts: 2,247
    edited December 1969

Hey, Dart - I'm as much a Carrara fan as you are - maybe not so vocal about it:)

I am also a realist - yes, of course, Carrara is capable of modeling anything you put your mind to, just as are Anim8or or Wings 3d, or any other modeling app.

Fact of the matter is Hex is a dedicated modeler and has many, many more features that make life a lot easier.

This train, for instance, has hundreds of moving parts - I wouldn't even dream of doing this in Carrara. One day I'll build up the nerve to UV map and finish it:)

I have all of Cripemans videos and they are really good and handy to have - especially pointing out features I wouldn't otherwise know about, or different ways of utilising them. They are short and sweet and to the point - very much appreciated.

Geekatplay on the other hand have tuts that run to an average of 30 minutes, often longer and go into real depth. That is what I miss in Carrara - serious in-depth tuts.

train.png
    800 x 600 - 424K
  • evilproducerevilproducer Posts: 9,040
    edited December 1969

Roygee said:
    Hey, Dart - I'm as much a Carrara fan as you are - maybe not so vocal about it:)

I am also a realist - yes, of course, Carrara is capable of modeling anything you put your mind to, just as are Anim8or or Wings 3d, or any other modeling app.

Fact of the matter is Hex is a dedicated modeler and has many, many more features that make life a lot easier.

This train, for instance, has hundreds of moving parts - I wouldn't even dream of doing this in Carrara. One day I'll build up the nerve to UV map and finish it:)

I have all of Cripemans videos and they are really good and handy to have - especially pointing out features I wouldn't otherwise know about, or different ways of utilising them. They are short and sweet and to the point - very much appreciated.

Geekatplay on the other hand have tuts that run to an average of 30 minutes, often longer and go into real depth. That is what I miss in Carrara - serious in-depth tuts.

That is a very nice engine. Aside from gauges I don't know why you'd need a UV map. I would think simple shading domains and procedural shaders would suffice. I've been up close and personal to a few operational steam engines- even in the cab while under way and there's nothing that screams that it needs image maps, which is why I assume you'd want a UV map. Of course it's you're model and you have a better idea of what you want to do than I, but I would definitely finish it!

edited December 1969

Roygee said:

I can't quite make it out from the angle and resolution of the reference image, but on the drivers, did you leave enough room for the tires? The rim around the edge seems a bit thin.

edited December 1969

Roygee said:
    Your enthusiasm speaks well enough for itself :)

Roygee said:

Good to know. Yeah I look forward to checking that out. I know that I sure am glad to own it. Just looking at that model in the promos for Hex... Yeah!!!
    I was really glad to get it when I did - and was really happy when Daz3d gave everyone on the planet a chance to buy it for free!
    I'm more inexperienced with 3d modeling features than otherwise. As I say... I've never gotten to a place where Carrara is missing what I need - but that could be that I don't know what better to use (tool/function-wise) so it's hard for me to tell. I was able to find more functions and tools in Carrara, as a matter of fact, until I bought Fugazi's "Genesis Starter Kit" video tutorial and starter mesh for Hexagon, for making clothes for Genesis. He points me to the menu where... "Oh... looky there!!!!" there's a whole pile of options! lol
    I have all of Cripemans videos and they are really good and handy to have - especially pointing out features I wouldn't otherwise know about, or different ways of utilising them. They are short and sweet and to the point - very much appreciated. Geekatplay on the other hand have tuts that run to an average of 30 minutes, often longer and go into real depth. That is what I miss in Carrara - serious in-depth tuts.I gotta check that out. I bought the Infinite Skills for Carrara Advanced Techniques and know what you mean by liking good instructional videos. It really helps to see what's going on. I haven't really set out to make my own original models yet - you know.. models. So far I just create helpful vertex objects! :)
    Morphing replication distribution figures, light domes, you know...
    I'll be making a starship too, fairly soon here. Another week or two I'll be starting on it, interior and exterior. I'll be starting it in Carrara, and working my way through. This will actually be my first major 3d model that I've built since I've had either Carrara or Hex, which I got in the same order. Since I already learned the Carrara stuff from learning about other aspects of it, I guess I'm just more comfy in there. Besides, I really want to dig in!
  • RoygeeRoygee Posts: 2,247
    edited December 1969

Thanks EP:)

The reason for needing UV maps is so I can make it available as a freebie and procedurals don't transfer well to other apps. With my very low-powered machine I'm not much into doing renders - just too frustratingly long.

The wheels are in exact proportion to my ref pics of a well-known loco used for taking steam enthusiasts on day trips to a small village a couple hundred K's from here. It was made a few years ago as part of a community film project that faded away before taking off - my contribution was to model the entire village:)

• TigrestripeTigrestripe Posts: 65
    edited April 2013

Garstor said:

DarkWynde's stuff is 10,000x better.

I beg to differ, sir. Your model looks like a spacefighter. The last time I tried to do a single seat aircraft/spacecraft it looked like it
    belonged in a episode of South Park or the Simpsons.

Did you output in the Carrara Beta for the .car file? It came into my 8.1.1.2 with some twisted polys at the intake manifold.

I have over 25 odd designs and when I look at them they don't look like they would be 2000+ feet long.

Anyway, your ship is sleek and deadly looking.

Post edited by Tigrestripe on
    edited December 1969

DaRkWyNdE,
    Awesome stuff! Very nice mesh work.

Thank you, sir. See what patience and nothing but luck will do for you. ;)

It was JimmyC2009(sp?) that gave me advice about edge loops to control shape wih applying sub-d. If
    I get up the courage, I'll post an image or two of that they looked like before these.

Like through a blender and I'm not talking the free app. :)

edited December 1969

DaRkWyNdE said:
    It was JimmyC2009(sp?) that gave me advice about edge loops to control shape wih applying sub-d. If I get up the courage, I'll post an image or two of that they looked like before these.

Patience indeed! That little model I posted has more than a few garbage areas. Perhaps I'll take the time to come up with something better one day...

edited December 1969

DaRkWyNdE said:
    I beg to differ, sir. Your model looks like a spacefighter. The last time I tried to do a single seat aircraft/spacecraft it looked like it belonged in a episode of South Park or the Simpsons.

Did you output in the Carrara Beta for the .car file? It came into my 8.1.1.2 with some twisted polys at the intake manifold.

I have over 25 odd designs and when I look at them they don't look like they would be 2000+ feet long.

Thanking-you very kindly sir.

I only use Carrara 8.1 -- I won't touch 8.5 until it is officially released. ;-)

The twisted polys are entirely my fault; I take full responsibility. There were definitely some edge loop problems in the wing roots and bottom of the body as I tried and failed to put some engines embedded into the wings. It came out as utter garbage and I was left with trying to hide the mess afterward... :red:

I did buy some LightWave training videos that model a Cyclon Raider (from the new Battlestar Galactica -- which I refuse to watch as the Lorne Greene version is the only version in my world!) from scratch. This training is nearly 40 hours long and the instructor shows every painful step...including all of his mistakes. So it was educational to see how to correct certain errors; but it was also very tedious progress. The end result was amazing though.

I should take the time one day to model something like this again with more patience and care.

edited December 1969

Garstor said:
    DaRkWyNdE said:
    I beg to differ, sir. Your model looks like a spacefighter. The last time I tried to do a single seat aircraft/spacecraft it looked like it belonged in a episode of South Park or the Simpsons.

Thanking-you very kindly sir.

I only use Carrara 8.1 -- I won't touch 8.5 until it is officially released. ;-)

The twisted polys are entirely my fault; I take full responsibility. There were definitely some edge loop problems in the wing roots and bottom of the body as I tried and failed to put some engines embedded into the wings. It came out as utter garbage and I was left with trying to hide the mess afterward... :red:

I did buy some LightWave training videos that model a Cyclon Raider (from the new Battlestar Galactica -- which I refuse to watch as the Lorne Greene version is the only version in my world!) from scratch. This training is nearly 40 hours long and the instructor shows every painful step...including all of his mistakes. So it was educational to see how to correct certain errors; but it was also very tedious progress. The end result was amazing though.

I should take the time one day to model something like this again with more patience and care.

Yeah, I not going to run the beta. I don't have time and I wouldn't know a serious bug vs. something I did wrong anyway. :)

Most of my first stuff looked twisted and that, at the time, was intentional. They were all tris and I must have tried like the devil to find out why I kept seeing these weird artifacts when rendering. So merging duplicate vertices was good knowledge to discover.

I cannot leave the original Galactica behind. I liked the new one well enough so long as you think of it as purely stand alone and in it's own universe. As it clearly was.

I have Modo 601. Looks great, tastes great. I have not watched one tutorial or read the manual. haven't been able to do much other than admire the interface. ;) I'll probably need a 50 hour tutorial made my a obsessive compulsive modeler that lives in a basement and lives nothing else but to train that one fool who can't figure out how to change the render size in the *#&@^#&* application. :)

edited December 1969

Wow - that's amazingly cool. It makes me want to learn more to get better. I was messing around with vertex last night until I became frustrated with 'undo button' abuse then turned it off. Baby steps, I suppose.

Hi Laynemoore,

Star wars ships have a benefit in being, for the most part, angular. Attached is one idea, althought I'm not quite happy with the front of but it can be tweaked. Next to it was my stab at what you posted. I should have spent more time on it. My kids are nagging at me to get off the computer or I'd put more time into the Falcon type design. This is Hex but Carrara and Hex are cousins and the tools in the model room operate pretty much the same.

Carrara is great for learning 3D modeling concepts. You get good at it, then you can but other software in your tool box.

Hi Laynemoore,

Since you are the original poster, I didn't want you to think we left ya in the dust.. Baby steps are good. You'll have moments in calrity and other days you be calling the glass repair man for a new window.

Have a grab at the following model, it's yours for whatever you wish (and anyone else.) It ain't the greatest, and I did forget to sub-divide it in Carrara before I uploaded it but you should be able to work that. Also, I think I might have creased all the edges on the models. If you have trouble I'll redo it tomorrow. I left the first one I showed you so you can point at it and laugh. :)

http://www.ShareCG.com/v/68457/view/5/3D-Model/SW-like-ship

If you're looking for a more one or two man size ship with more sleek lines I might suggest a free 3d model site. I haven't been quite successful in coming up with somthing I didn't point at and laugh. :)

edited December 1969

Well, now there's the New Battlestar Galactica. Battlestar Galactica re-envisioned with Edward James Olmos, as Adama, was an excellent four season series with great movies to back it up. I'm almost positive that those tutorials are referring to the New Battlestar Galactica: Blood and Chrome, which takes place during the original war between Cylon and their creators - before they fled. This is, of course, from the re-envisioned story (and an absolute Must-See for me!!!). The original series had Cylons as coming from the planet Cylon.
    It was the Lightwave site, after all, where I learned of Blood and Chrome. I can't believe you're not going to watch it! Sheeesh!

edited December 1969

Well, now there's the New Battlestar Galactica. Battlestar Galactica re-envisioned with Edward James Olmos, as Adama, was an excellent four season series with great movies to back it up. I'm almost positive that those tutorials are referring to the New Battlestar Galactica: Blood and Chrome, which takes place during the original war between Cylon and their creators - before they fled. This is, of course, from the re-envisioned story (and an absolute Must-See for me!!!). The original series had Cylons as coming from the planet Cylon.
    It was the Lightwave site, after all, where I learned of Blood and Chrome. I can't believe you're not going to watch it! Sheeesh!

Yes, and they had been organic creatures before machines. I'm quite happy to watch the new stuff but sometimes it tends to take awhile before it gets to Australia. I'll still prefer the original Basestars to the new ones. :)

• edited December 1969

One thing I have never understood about SPACE ship creation is when they make a ship that is racy or streamlined. Unless said craft is going to enter an atmosphere who cares what the shape is! There is NOTHING in space such as air to deal with. One thing I loved about the New Start trek with the whole BORG thing was the BORG ship was one big SQUARE!

That is the most efficient way to go.

edited December 1969

One thing I have never understood about SPACE ship creation is when they make a ship that is racy or streamlined. Unless said craft is going to enter an atmosphere who cares what the shape is! There is NOTHING in space such as air to deal with. One thing I loved about the New Start trek with the whole BORG thing was the BORG ship was one big SQUARE!

That is the most efficient way to go.

And Firefly - The Feds had those big Cities in Space - type ships. Just a big pile of skyscrapers with their own airports and whatnot!

Nah... the shape is for us that get to watch them peel around in 3d space! We don't always care about efficiency, we want stuff that looks cool! :)

edited December 1969

People in my Astronomy club make fun of Star Wars and other sci fi fun stuff, about the fact that there's sound effects - where there's no sound in space because there's nothing to carry the waves...
    Wouldn't that be fun? Make a three hour movie that takes place entirely in outer space... don't give it any sound whatsoever! lol!!!

edited December 1969

...Make a three hour movie that takes place entirely in outer space... don't give it any sound whatsoever! lol!!!

It's called 2001: A Space Odyssey! ;-) While ground breaking and to a lesser extent genre defining, it was in my opinion a snooze.

edited December 1969

Couldn't tell ya... I slept through it both times I had it on! lol

edited December 1969

DaRkWyNdE said:

Yes, and they had been organic creatures before machines. I'm quite happy to watch the new stuff but sometimes it tends to take awhile before it gets to Australia. I'll still prefer the original Basestars to the new ones. :)

Oh jeez...look what I started... Geek war! %-P

@DaRkWyNdE: Where about in Oz are you? Closer to Wendy or Headwax? I wonder how many other Carrarists are Down Under...and if I'll join 'em one day?

edited December 1969

It's called 2001: A Space Odyssey! ;-) While ground breaking and to a lesser extent genre defining, it was in my opinion a snooze.

Good thing I wasn't drinking anything...I would have sprayed all over my monitors.

It seems Wisconsinites are hopeless when it comes to great sci-fi...(since I started one Geek War, I may as well incite another! :-P )

edited December 1969

Since it is relevant to the original discussion...DreamLight has released Module 7 for the Model Master 2 training. It covers modeling a space ship. I have yet to watch it but I'll probably start it tonight and report back here.

For those that didn't get involved in the rather divisive and vitriolic discussion about DreamLight's training...be forewarned that I consider him to be a spammer. You will get an avalanche of emails containing bad spelling, poor grammar and over-the-top claims... Model Master 2 is not delivered by DreamLight though -- so it is considerably saner. It is done in LightWave but still contains relevant information for 3D modeling.