Downloading and Installing DAZ Studio: a guide and FAQ

Comments

• maxfield.leidnermaxfield.leidner Posts: 3
    edited December 1969

It's the Radeon HD 5450, and it has told me that the most updated driver is already installed.

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 95,997
    edited December 1969

That should work. I'm sorry, I don't have any additional ideas - try opening a Technical Support ticket.

• bwise1701bwise1701 Posts: 247
    edited December 1969

Morning Folks,

I have been dragging my feet upgrading to 4.6. I have stayed with Studio 4.0 Pro for a while but feel like it may be time, however it seems lots of folks are having issues installling. My main question is will I be able to keep my version 4.0 around (as I did my version 3) or does it get stomped by the installation?

Also I have quite a messy content sttructure after 2 years, a Studio3/content/ Studio4/content and Studio/mylibrary etc. it just feels like installers put things all over the place and the pattern keeps changing. I'm considereing removing everything do a complete clean install and then manually reconstructing a single Studio/mylibrary/content/ directory. Will that even work?

thanks

• JaderailJaderail Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

You can only run one Build version of DS4+ at a time. DS4 will replace all other DS4 versions below the current build number. Except for a Beta Version. You can Run DS3 and DS4 side by side and in both bit depths for each as in DS3 32 and DS3 64 and DS4.6 32 and DS4.6 64bit all at one install. I do.

• jHuntleyjHuntley Posts: 63
    edited December 1969

I am trying to help my boy install all of his content and there is a metadata file and something called a trx fil I run the metadata exe and everything installs fine but when I try to run the trx exe it says it cant find the dependant file and I am installing it to the same place as I installed the meta data. is there a special place these trx file thingys have to be installed to?

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,563
    edited December 1969

What is the item you're installing? Morphs for figures usually need to be installed in the same place as the base figure, so you'll want to make sure you install the required items first. Some of the base packages:

Genesis Starter Essentials
    Genesis 2 Female Starter Essentials
    Genesis 2 Male Starter Essentials
    Default Lights and Shaders for DAZ Studio
    Victoria 4.2 Base
    Michael 4 Base

Using DAZ Install Manager can help you find packages you may have missed.

• jHuntleyjHuntley Posts: 63
    edited December 1969

I think I figured out that the one file is for windows and the other is for mac users. thats where I believe my prob is I thought you needed both files but it is 2 sep files for windows and mac users

• starlightsallystarlightsally Posts: 1
    edited December 1969

Got myself in a pickle, had a computer crash, so backed up my Daz files, before I had to reinstall windows etc. Got Daz studio to install not a problem. Added some new content using the Daz Installer. It keeps coming up with errors, I thought it was a Bryce install, as I had not got round to putting Bryce back on. But its just happened again for a Daz install Genesis bundle.

I opened Daz studio 4.6, loaded up fine. But my contents got little yellow triangles on it and when I click on, it says read log file for errors? No idea where the Log files are to read them.

Another problem is how and where do I put back on my saved files from before the crash?

• masudaijaz291masudaijaz291 Posts: 4
    edited December 1969

Thanks for sharing. I have understand this procedure very easily.

• edited April 2014

Sorry if this has been covered elsewhere in the topic, but it's a long one and I didn't see it when I scanned through...

My PC setup has a small, fast hard disk as my C drive and a large one as my D drive where I install software. I don't install software on my C drive in order to keep the system lean and fast.

DAZ Studio insists on installing itself on my C Drive, and does not give me the option to choose a different location. :(

(That's not very friendly actually guys. I know you are trying to be helpful, but one size does not always fit all).

Is there a way to install the programme to where I want it to live without cut and paste-ing and registry setting hacking?

(EDIT: Found it in DAZ Content manager settings! Please ignore me!) ;)

Post edited by studriver01_db116c2da3 on
  • Blasto63Blasto63 Posts: 1
    edited December 1969

I am having difficulty installing this file:
    "Photoshop 3D Bridge for DAZ Studio 4.5+ (Win 64-bit)"

The error message on the installer reads:

Install Manager cannot find a required path. The installer for "Photoshop 3D Bridge for DAZ Studio 4.5+ (Win 64-bit)" requires that the installed path for "Photoshop CS6, CS5, CS4 (64-bit)" be defined. Make sure that a path for this application is present on the "Applications" page of the "Settings" dialog, then try again.

Is it saying that Photoshop must be present on my hard drive?
    Thank you.

• Scott LivingstonScott Livingston Posts: 4,331
    edited December 1969

Blasto63 said:
    I am having difficulty installing this file:
    "Photoshop 3D Bridge for DAZ Studio 4.5+ (Win 64-bit)"

The error message on the installer reads:

Install Manager cannot find a required path. The installer for "Photoshop 3D Bridge for DAZ Studio 4.5+ (Win 64-bit)" requires that the installed path for "Photoshop CS6, CS5, CS4 (64-bit)" be defined. Make sure that a path for this application is present on the "Applications" page of the "Settings" dialog, then try again.

Is it saying that Photoshop must be present on my hard drive?
    Thank you.

Yes, the Photoshop 3D Bridge does require Photoshop. If you don't have Photoshop installed (or if you don't have an appropriate version of it installed) on your hard drive, then you can skip installing the 3D Bridge.
  • CardinalBigglesCardinalBiggles Posts: 41
    edited December 1969

Hi,

I'm new to DAZ Studio and I'm having trouble installing DAZ Studio 4.6. I've installed 4.5 using download manager but when I try 4.6 I get "installation failed" every time. Could someone please help?

• gdes79gdes79 Posts: 1
    edited July 2014

Can you help me, I installed Josie6, but I can't find her shape when I launch DAZ pro 4.6
    I would try to install her in another folder first, because my main HDD is almost full, but when I see it didn't work I try again in the original one, but still not her ! :(((((((
    I used the install manager 1.1.0.21

I am on Windows8 64bits

HAHA I did the udate too with the manager, for DAZ and now nothing work anymore
    BAD DAYS never stop

EDIT : uninstalled everything, change director drive, reinstalled everything, it seems ok for now

Post edited by gdes79 on
  • SzarkSzark Posts: 10,634
    edited December 1969

I see DIM has the ability to change installation path now (different what the WIki says) so I presume it can be installed anywhere now?

• namffuaknamffuak Posts: 4,031
    edited December 1969

Szark said:
    I see DIM has the ability to change installation path now (different what the WIki says) so I presume it can be installed anywhere now?

As far as I can tell, yes. With one caveat - if you are installing on an off-line system and you install to a non-default location, and you then download an updated version to install manually again -- DIM doesn't wipe. To do a clean update you need to manually un-install the previous version.

This is only a problem on off-line systems maintained manually - DIM will auto-update to a non-default location just fine.

And yes, I've reported the issue.

edited December 1969

Thanks namffuak that is a great help

• PendraiaPendraia Posts: 3,591
    edited December 1969

Hi, I have to uninstall DIM as I need to replace the hard drive it is installed on. Can anyone advise me if it will retain knowledge of what is installed when I reinstall it to the new drive? Or will I have to uninstall and reinstall everything?

I have already exported my user data and I was wondering where I can find that so I can copy it somewhere safe.

thanks

Pen

edited December 1969

Hiya Pen

This what Jade suggested to me when I got a new PC http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/2765/P375/#559313 below is the quote from that page

Jaderail said:
    In DIM you need your File from Users>AppData>Roaming>DAZ 3D>InstallManager>Accounts>Account.ini
    In DAZ Studio you needed Users>AppData>Roaming>DAZ 3D>Studio4> I would nab it all and only pop back the parts that do not auto generate on install.

You will also Prob want your CMS Database and the USER Files from Resources as well.
    edited December 1969

Szark said:
    Hiya Pen

This what Jade suggested to me when I got a new PC http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/2765/P375/#559313 below is the quote from that page

Jaderail said:
    In DIM you need your File from Users>AppData>Roaming>DAZ 3D>InstallManager>Accounts>Account.ini
    In DAZ Studio you needed Users>AppData>Roaming>DAZ 3D>Studio4> I would nab it all and only pop back the parts that do not auto generate on install.

You will also Prob want your CMS Database and the USER Files from Resources as well.

Thanks Pete... Looks like I won't have to uninstall dim as it's on the c drive b but I will nab it just in case. I wonder which users I will find the daz studio in. It's funny what still turns up on the c drive even when the program is I installed to another drive.

Thanks again,

Pen

edited December 1969

Pendraia said:

I wonder which users I will find the daz studio in. It's funny what still turns up on the c drive even when the program is I installed to another drive.

Not sure but when I install things I can get them to go exactly where I want it to go. What exactly are you referring to? In the OS on C?
    edited December 1969

Szark said:
    Pendraia said:

I wonder which users I will find the daz studio in. It's funny what still turns up on the c drive even when the program is I installed to another drive.

Not sure but when I install things I can get them to go exactly where I want it to go. What exactly are you referring to? In the OS on C?

When I installed zbrush to the f drive, to run goz it requires folders on the c drive to operate. I know this because I couldnt get it to work but wheni copied the folders from the fdrive to the c drive it started working. I have steam installed on my f drive but its saves are on the c drive in the users folder not on the f drive drives me nuts as I try to keep as little as possible on the c drive as it's an ssd drive.

edited December 1969

oh that is crap...I don't have zBrush so I never use Goz...too rich for me. :)

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 95,997
    edited December 1969

In order for DIM to remember what was installed you need to copy the Manifests folder - that should, by default, be alongside the downloads in the DIM folder in your Public Documents folder.

edited September 2014

Yeah...I wasn't happy when I realized that. I tried installing everything again and when that didn't work googled problems with goz. Someone using the maya version had a similar issue. Which is how I got it working.

In order for DIM to remember what was installed you need to copy the Manifests folder - that should, by default, be alongside the downloads in the DIM folder in your Public Documents folder.

Thanks Richard.
    Post edited by Pendraia on
    edited December 1969

Sorry about that Pen I just found out myself about the Manifest folder gets put on C no matter where I put they other stuff. Why can't we choose to put everything is beyond me.

edited December 1969

Szark said:
    Sorry about that Pen I just found out myself about the Manifest folder gets put on C no matter where I put they other stuff. Why can't we choose to put everything is beyond me.

In C:\Users\{username}\AppData\Roaming\DAZ 3D\InstallManager\UserAccounts is an .ini file for your account, inside it edit the line:
    OverrideManifestDir=
    to add the path to where you want the manifests stored.

edited December 1969

Thanks Mike so it can't be done Via DIM but it can with editing the .ini file which many of us may not be comfortable with doing, including me. But I am willing to give it a try. Yes backup the .ini first. ;)

So after or before editing the .ini can I then move the Manifest folder as I have just finished installing all my content.

edited December 1969

Just shut down DIM, you can edit the .ini file first or move the folder first, just do both before you restart DIM.

edited September 2014

Because I don't trust myself do we just tag the path on to the end of OverrideManifestDir=

PS I see we can override the Thumbnail path too but not Filters but I can see that being an issue as we can install the filters easy enough.

Post edited by Szark on