Downloading and Installing DAZ Studio: a guide and FAQ

Comments

• JimmyC_2009JimmyC_2009 Posts: 8,891

You are still looking in the wrong place.   The DS files that you see are in the Content Library pane under DAZ Studio Formats, and they are materials ONLY.    If you move them inside the Runtime folder, DAZ Studio will not see them at all, it is only used for Poser content.

You MUST look in the Content Library pane under Poser Formats > My DAZ 3D Library > Figures > Scrubs Outfit    These are figures in Poser format (CR2) and they will not appear if you look under DAZ Studio formats.

On top of all this, I just noticed that Michael 7, who shows up in Smart Content and loads just fine, isn't in my DAZ 3D Library! I'm guessing I had DAZ running when Install Manager brought him in.....  

Michael 7 should appear in the Content Library pane under DAZ Studio Formats > My DAZ 3D library > Genesis 3 Male > Characters it is a file called Michael7.DUF.

All figures prior to Genesis (original) were in Poser Format, all Figures from Genesis on (Genesis, G2M, G2F, G3M, G3F) are all in DAZ Studio format (.DUF)

• Thanks! I found him. His icon does indeed show up in my content library. I also finally found how to get to the .cr2 files I needed. They're in subdirectories under My DAZ 3D Library > Libraries > Characters. I used File > Import on the scrub pants for V4, and it worked fine. I was loading onto a G3 female, so there's a lot of poke-through to deal with, but I'm pretty sure I can make the adjustments -- if not in DS, then in Hexagon.

• JimmyC_2009JimmyC_2009 Posts: 8,891

I also finally found how to get to the .cr2 files I needed. They're in subdirectories under My DAZ 3D Library > Libraries > Characters. I used File > Import on the scrub pants for V4, and it worked fine.

If you set up your content correctly, there is no need to 'Import'  CR2 files, DS can load them like any other content files, as long as the path is in the Content Directory Manager as explained above.    You MUST select Poser Formats to see any Poser files inside DAZ Studio, and you can load them exactly the same as DAZ Studio Content.

What problem are you having in listing the paths in the Content Directory Manager?

• Hello.. im roy.. im have a problem.. i have to install manually daz 3d irridium.. and im have download all of them expect genesis 2 and 3 .. so im import genesis but it not work.. and im import runtime character pants hair and etc its too not work.. just show box and box.. not a content? I confused my place paste in where? Can any help me.. pliss
  • fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,563

If you have a folder named "Content" insider the folder you have listed in Edit > Preferences > Content Library > Content Directory Manager, you need to take the files inside "Content" and move them up one level.

• Hello,

My motherboard burned out and I just replaced my computer during the comanies switch to 4.9. I loaded  the Daz Installer and installed everything, it shows as installed in DIM. But Studio 4.9 won't open- it says 'fatal error'. I sent the info asked for with help request and have received no response other than that Daz got help ticket 211282.

Can anyone tell me what I need to do? I've never had a problem opening or installing Studio before.

• WonderlandWonderland Posts: 6,684

I'm a Poser user and thought I've tried DS before and just couldn't figure it out. Noe I thought I'd try the new DS but I can't fint Genesis 3 female, there is only Genesis 3 male. Where do I get the female??? Thanks

• I'm a Poser user and thought I've tried DS before and just couldn't figure it out. Noe I thought I'd try the new DS but I can't fint Genesis 3 female, there is only Genesis 3 male. Where do I get the female??? Thanks

We're talking about Daz Studio ("DS") 4.9, right? Did you install this using the Daz Install Manager (DIM)? Because then you should already have the "Genesis 3 Female Starter Essentials" package, which basically consists of the base model and some extra assets (wardrobe, materials, wearables).

When you started DS open the "Content Library" pane and look for the "Genesis 3 Female..." package in the Products section.

Just to rule out the obvious: the other Genesis models (1 and 2) are normally available? 

• greencat9greencat9 Posts: 1
    edited March 2016

edited

Post edited by greencat9 on
  • emmapookaemmapooka Posts: 1
    edited March 2016

Troubleshooting/FAQ

- I tried to install the program, but it didn’t work.

Make sure you've downloaded the correct installer file. See the instructions for Mac users or the instructions for Windows users for details on how to identify the correct installer. If you are sure you have downloaded the correct file, it's possible that the download did not complete successfully, so you may need to download it again. Also, check the system requirements to confirm that your computer is able to run DAZ Studio.

- I can’t find Genesis.

If you haven't done so yet, you will need to download and install Genesis Starter Essentials. You can find the installer in the Product Library, or you can use the DAZ Install Manager to do this for you. If you have installed the Genesis Starter Essentials but still can't find Genesis in DAZ Studio, read the following questions and answers for more information that may help in this situation.

- I can’t find my content.

You should be able to load content from two different panes in DAZ Studio: Smart Content and the Content Library. Everything that's properly installed should appear in the Content Library.

Within the Content Library should be sections for "DAZ Studio Formats" and "Poser Formats." The general rule is that Genesis content (and DAZ Studio materials presets for some other items) will appear under "DAZ Studio Formats" and most other items can be found under "Poser Formats," but there are exceptions to this, so it may help to check the readme file for the product(s) you are using if you are having trouble finding them.

If you can't find any content in the Content Library, it's likely that DAZ Studio is not looking in the correct location where the files are installed (or perhaps the content was not installed correctly). Either right-click on the tab of the Content Library, or left-click the option menu icon on the Content Library pane and go to the Content Directory Manager. You'll need to add the folder containing your content to DAZ Studio Formats and to Poser Formats.

See here for more information.

- Smart Content is empty...

Some content, particularly older items and content from other sites, will not appear in Smart Content (because they don't have metadata). You'll need to load these items via the Content Library. However if you don't see anything in Smart Content, it could be due to one of several reasons. Please refer to this page on Troubleshooting the Smart Content Pane.

- I bought something that’s not available through the DAZ Install Manager.

Most DAZ 3D products are now available through DIM. If you purchase one that is not availalbe, and you would like to install the missing product immediately, you can download it from My Account>Product Library (but keep in mind that if you do this, DIM will not recognize that you have installed it).

Updated 2013/09/12

- I downloaded everything that I needed to, and everything was set up fine. I opened the installer and got to, like, a grey square page. At the top right hand corner, there was a sort of search engine thing about filters; like 'add filter', or something like that. I eneterd the name of what I wanted to call my 'filter' and then it said I had to create an access menu or something, and I did (somehow); I don't know if it was right or not. Nothing happened. I went back to the search engine thing and next to it was an arrow. I clicked there and a small menu popped up. My 'filter name' was there. I tried clicking it, but nothing happened. Nothing popped up. I don't know what to do. All I want to do is create characters for a book that I'm writing and I can't even do that? I don't care how I get to it, I just want to design characters. I don't understand why it has to be so hard.

Post edited by Chohole on
  • I'm sure this information exists somewhere, but I'm not sure where to look. I am getting ready to install DAZ 4.9 on a new computer with an SSD C:\ drive and a new external hard drive. If it's possible, I'd like to install the DAZ program on my local C:\ SSD drive and install the content library on the external hard drive. Can someone help me understand how to set up the installer so that the program is loaded onto the C:\ drive and the content library is set up on the external hard drive? 

• To make sure the defaults aren't on C:, for DS and other applications, go to your C:\Users\YOU folder, right-click on your Documents folder, select Properties, and use the Location tab to set the folder you want to use for documents in general (you can do the same with the other content folders - Pictures, Videos etc.). Of course you can change locations in DS and in DIM, but that makes sure you start off from something reasonable.

• I will give that a try. Sounds reasonable. 

Thanks!

Justin

• I have used the installer but I'm having trouble installing DAZ Studio 4.9 - message below.  I discovered a winzip file that contained DAZ Studio 4.5 which I unzipped (most likely incorrectly) in C:\Program Files\DAZ 3D

Install Manager cannot find a required path. The package for "DAZ Studio 4.9 (Win 32-bit)" requires that the installed path for "DAZ Studio 4.5 (32-bit)" be defined. Make sure that a path for this application is present on the "Applications" page of the "Settings" dialog, then try again.

So I think my problem is that I don't know why the 4.5 file didn't unzip, if it was supposed to unzip, where it is supposed to end up, or what path 4.9 needs to be installed...  I've fiddled around with the paths now and I'm hopelessly lost.  None of the messages seem to address my issue...?

What's the exact name of the zip file you tried to install?  It sounds like it may have been a plugin for Daz Studio, rather than the application itself.

It requires a little more than just unzipping to install.  You can download a stand-alone installer from your product library here:  https://www.daz3d.com/downloader/customer/files#prod_13176

• Hi;

When I first start up Daz Studio I get this "Resource Error"  I am using windows 10.  and Trend Micro virus protection.

On a ROG ASUS, fast powerful lap top.  Why am I getting this error? See attached please.

Issue.JPG
    1620 x 963 - 252K
  • i really need help 

i really need help 

What problem are you having?

• I have downloaded the content included with the DAZ 3D Studio Pro (version 4.9) bundle through my browser (not through the Install Manager) and I'm trying ti figure out how to get it into DAZ 3D Studio. Please help!

• barbultbarbult Posts: 23,018

I have downloaded the content included with the DAZ 3D Studio Pro (version 4.9) bundle through my browser (not through the Install Manager) and I'm trying ti figure out how to get it into DAZ 3D Studio. Please help!

Did you download zip files from your Product Library? If so, you unzip them and copy everything that is inside the "Content" folder (data, People, Runtime folders, etc.) and paste it inside your Daz Studio library file. Do not copy and paste the Content folder itself. That will cause nested runtime folders that will create all sorts of problems.

I highly recommend installing content either with the Daz Install Manager (separate application) or Daz Connect (within Daz Studio 4.9). Both make installation of content much easier.

Hi;

When I first start up Daz Studio I get this "Resource Error"  I am using windows 10.  and Trend Micro virus protection.

On a ROG ASUS, fast powerful lap top.  Why am I getting this error? See attached please.

Hi, Jake. Did you install the PostgreSQL CMS package? It is a separate download and installation. You can download and install it with the Daz Install Manager (DIM).

edited May 2016

I have used the installer but I'm having trouble installing DAZ Studio 4.9 - message below.  I discovered a winzip file that contained DAZ Studio 4.5 which I unzipped (most likely incorrectly) in C:\Program Files\DAZ 3D

Install Manager cannot find a required path. The package for "DAZ Studio 4.9 (Win 32-bit)" requires that the installed path for "DAZ Studio 4.5 (32-bit)" be defined. Make sure that a path for this application is present on the "Applications" page of the "Settings" dialog, then try again.

So I think my problem is that I don't know why the 4.5 file didn't unzip, if it was supposed to unzip, where it is supposed to end up, or what path 4.9 needs to be installed...  I've fiddled around with the paths now and I'm hopelessly lost.  None of the messages seem to address my issue...?

I don't think unzipping and placing the DS 4.5 package was the right thing to do. You should probably remove it.

It sounds to me like the Daz Install Manager can't find the path to install the DS 4.9 package. In the Daz Install Manager, click on the gear icon in the upper right corner. That is the "Settings" dialog the error message is referring to. Then click on the Applications tab. You should see DAZ Studio 4.5+ (64 -bit) or 32 bit, depending on what you are installing. Click the ... and specify the path where you want to install it. If it is not listed, click the + in the lower left corner. See the attached illustration that I made for you. In my illustration, you also see DAZ Studio 4.x Public Build (64-bit). That is a beta version of the program. You do not need that, unless you wish to test a beta version. I also have the specified a path for Photoshop compatible products, like Ron's brushes.

Install Manager Applications.jpg
    798 x 717 - 251K
    Post edited by barbult on
  • So when i was instaling all the different packages from the instalation manager, i got to the last one, Photoshop 3D Bridge for DAZ Studio 4.9+ (win 64-bit) it gives me an error message saying install failed, install manager cannot find a required path. then asks me to define a path. What does this mean how do i do it and if i cant do i need this package to enable me to fully use DEZ studio. pleas and thanks for help

edited May 2016

So when i was instaling all the different packages from the instalation manager, i got to the last one, Photoshop 3D Bridge for DAZ Studio 4.9+ (win 64-bit) it gives me an error message saying install failed, install manager cannot find a required path. then asks me to define a path. What does this mean how do i do it and if i cant do i need this package to enable me to fully use DEZ studio. pleas and thanks for help

Look at the message right above yours. I included some diagrams of how to add application paths to the Daz Install Manager. You will need to click the + sign (step 3 on the diagram), select Photoshop, and specify where you have Photoshop installed on your computer.

Post edited by barbult on
  • Hi, newbie here

i want daz3d so i can create custom characters. I didn't download the software yet cause its 1gb and i don't know if it has a resume capability.
    Can someone please guide me the process and tool that i need to download.

Super thanks.

Sherkhah,

• Hello

I have a problem with Install Manager when it tries to install "DAZ Studio 4.9 (Win 32-bit)". The message is that it needs the path for "DAZ Studio 4.5 (Win 32-bit)". By the way, it does sound rather strange to me. But anyway, if I go to "Applications" to specify the path, the only possibility I have is "DAZ Studio 4.5+ (Win 32-bit)" (sounds rather strange too)!

What can I do?

Thanks!

• Guys, I installed Daz but it won't show up and how do you launch it?

Is there an entry in Start > Programs > Daz 3D > Daz Studio 4?

• kcrowkcrow Posts: 0
    edited October 2016

When I try to download daz for windows .. I get

There has been an error processing your request

File does not exist

Trace:
    #0 /var/www/html/daz3d.com/magento/web/app/code/local/Daz/Downloader/controllers/IndexController.php(66): Daz_Downloader_Helper_Data->downloadFile(Object(Daz_Downloader_Model_File))
    #1 /var/www/html/daz3d.com/magento/web/app/code/local/Mage/Core/Controller/Front/Action.php(188): Daz_Downloader_IndexController->dimdownloadAction()
    #2 /var/www/html/daz3d.com/magento/web/app/code/core/Mage/Core/Controller/Varien/Router/Standard.php(254): Mage_Core_Controller_Front_Action->dispatch('dimdownload')
    #3 /var/www/html/daz3d.com/magento/web/app/code/core/Mage/Core/Controller/Varien/Front.php(172): Mage_Core_Controller_Varien_Router_Standard->match(Object(Mage_Core_Controller_Request_Http))
    #4 /var/www/html/daz3d.com/magento/web/app/code/core/Mage/Core/Model/App.php(354): Mage_Core_Controller_Varien_Front->dispatch()
    #5 /var/www/html/daz3d.com/magento/web/app/Mage.php(683): Mage_Core_Model_App->run(Array)
    #6 /var/www/html/daz3d.com/magento/web/index.php(92): Mage::run('default', 'store')
    #7 /var/www/html/daz3d.com/magento/web/index_redir.php(33): require_once('/var/www/html/d...')
    #8 {main}

Post edited by Chohole on
  • i did nt got my serial number,, sumebody help me pleaseeee