DAZ Studio 4.5 Release Candidate 2

Comments

• edited December 1969

OK what was in the RC that is not allowing me to remove it. Went all the way to add/remove programs and and cleaned the registry and when I downloaded and reinstalled my old 4pro it went straight to being the RC again.

• frank0314frank0314 Posts: 13,189
    edited December 1969

Did you happen to clear out your roaming folder as well?

• edited June 2012

My what? I have beta tested before and this is the first time I have had this happen, My issues with the RC were very minor overall [ Compared to the ones with the new store and website launch clusterfrick } I am working on a couple of things and I really need the use of my plugins that aren't usable in the RC

Post edited by noshobawolf_f994bf986d on
    edited December 1969

DAZ has a folder in C:\Users\YOUR NAME\AppData\Roaming. Occasionally things in there can cause an issue. Every time I do a fresh install I empty mine out. That way there is no chance of there being an issue. I have to do that with Poser or it messes everything up on install.

• edited December 1969

Frank0314 said:
    DAZ has a folder in C:\Users\YOUR NAME\AppData\Roaming. Occasionally things in there can cause an issue. Every time I do a fresh install I empty mine out. That way there is no chance of there being an issue. I have to do that with Poser or it messes everything up on install.

I will give that a try thank. I love the speed of that RC but still needs more tweaking

edited December 1969

I haven't had the chance to use 4.5 yet. I use it for development and with the plugins not working its not of real use to me yet.

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,565
    edited December 1969

Spit said:
    This is a bit of a complaint. I'm not saying it's a bug because I suspect it's intended behavior in RC2.

I keep my Poser and pre DS4 Studio files in external runtimes and content dirs and process metadata ONLY for stuff I install directly to My Library (genesis and DS4 files only). To facilitate this I made a new temporary install directory that I do NOT map into Studio 4.

Studio 4.5 RC2 reads metadata installed in that 'hidden' folder anyway. Now I have to read every line in the window that pops up when I open Studio to be sure I'm not processing metadata I DO NOT WANT. Or remember to delete all metadata from that folder before I go near Studio--which is hard to remember if you want to move and test something quickly.

If this IS intended behavior, is there a way around it?

When you install an item which has metadata, the installer puts an entry in C:\Documents and Settings\[username]\AppData\Roaming\DAZ 3D\Studio4\RunOnce\Metadata -- that's what triggers the dialog box when you start DS4 asking to import Metadata. If you delete that entry it won't prompt you for it.

• RCDescheneRCDeschene Posts: 2,799
    edited December 1969

Okay, now I'm not sure if this is strictly because of the Candidate, because this was rather frequent when I would do this back when my Studio was the regular 4.0 version (even before I went Pro). Just about every time I try to perform Surface modifications on zoomed in selected items such as body parts, small accessories, articles with multiple details, etc. the program itself would suddenly crash on me. No matter what I'm doing, whether it be Defuse or Specular attributes it does this when I try to confirm a change made in the color box.

Why is it doing this? I already sent a bug report about this and even though the announcement promised a response by Friday, my ticket remains unanswered.

Did anyone see this?
  • SpitSpit Posts: 2,342
    edited December 1969

When you install an item which has metadata, the installer puts an entry in C:\Documents and Settings\[username]\AppData\Roaming\DAZ 3D\Studio4\RunOnce\Metadata -- that's what triggers the dialog box when you start DS4 asking to import Metadata. If you delete that entry it won't prompt you for it.

You can run, but you can't hide. :) Thanks for the info.

edited December 1969

Okay, I just realized something about my problem. I've noticed that the issue I'm having is occurring specifically with Auto-fitted clothing, most occurring with Gen 4 clothing. Before I took up this Candidate testing, my issue wasn't this specific.

Could it possibly mean that there's something that needs to be updated with the previous items as the Gen 5 Metadata?

• KeryaKerya Posts: 10,943
    edited June 2012

Question: is it possible to stop that writing to C:\?
    As I don't use SmartContent I could do withouth Metadata at all.
    As I do have a brandnew SSD harddrive (fun!) I try to stop every writing access that is not necessary.
    Antivirus updates are necessary, Metadata are not, for me anyway. ;-)

Post edited by Kerya on
  • SyndarylSyndaryl Posts: 521
    edited December 1969

Is there a post (or wiki page, or whatever) with information about the mysterious Push Modifier? I saw it mentioned in RC1 and I can add it to things... but it doesn't seem to do anything that I can detect, and I can't find any new dials under Properties, so I think I missed a step.

• CymbidiumCymbidium Posts: 213
    edited December 1969

Syndaryl said:
    Is there a post (or wiki page, or whatever) with information about the mysterious Push Modifier? I saw it mentioned in RC1 and I can add it to things... but it doesn't seem to do anything that I can detect, and I can't find any new dials under Properties, so I think I missed a step.

Ooh, I'd be interested in an answer to this also....:)

• Takeo.KenseiTakeo.Kensei Posts: 1,303
    edited June 2012

Hi everybody

Did everyone test the new Duf Format?
    I must say I'm not very happy with it for the moment.
    - First it's slower than the old DAZ Format for reading and writing scenes
    - Second point is that it is not always "lightweight". I loaded a few scenes I made with DS4 and saved them back and the new files are way larger than the old ones (about twice)
    Did some test and here's what I found out :
    1°/ loaded Genesis and some V4 hair. Used CCT to conform the Hair to Genesis then saved. File size ~ 17 Mb
    2°/ Saved the Hair as an asset in my Library then saved the scene again => File size is 76 Ko

So if I'm right one has to save all the V4 Stuff again in Duf format to benefit from the lightweight

Is it the same for all you guys?

[Edit] Only 64 bit version is slow on reading and writing. 32 bit is OK

Post edited by Takeo.Kensei on
  • LindseyLindsey Posts: 1,983
    edited June 2012

Syndaryl said:

I looked high and low and eventually found it.

1. Select a model in the Scene tab.

2. On the Scene tab's "Active Pane Options", select Edit>Geometry>Apply Push Modifier.

or from the Edit menu, Figure>Geometry>Apply Push Modifier

Edit: In the Parameter's tab, General section a "Mesh Offset" dial is added to adjust the offset.

Post edited by Lindsey on
  • Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 96,219
    edited December 1969

Hi everybody

- Second point is that it is not always "lightweight". I loaded a few scenes I made with DS4 and saved them back and the new files are way larger than the old ones (about twice)
    1°/ loaded Genesis and some V4 hair. Used CCT to conform the Hair to Genesis then saved. File size ~ 17 Mb
    2°/ Saved the Hair as an asset in my Library then saved the scene again => File size is 76 Ko

So if I'm right one has to save all the V4 Stuff again in Duf format to benefit from the lightweight

Yes, the .duf file is lightweight if there are assets it can refer to. That means .dsf files for native content, or Poser files for non-native content. It can even store the original content and the conversion settings for AutoFitted clothing. But if you rig something with the Content Creation Tools the rigging information (geometry, joints, morphs and weight maps) have to be somewhere - if they aren't saved out as dsf files then they have to be embedded in the .duf file.

edited June 2012

Hi everybody

The worst I'm getting is that I try to save my older Scene files as .duf's the program crashes, pretty much telling me that I may very well have to recreate everything all over again... :down:

And as for the files that I created and saved in the .duf file type they take quite a while to load when I open them...

Post edited by RCDeschene on
  • edited December 1969

Don't feel bad.. I am loading one of the new duf files and its taking 10 minutes to make any changes as simple as making something visible or not. Goes straight to ( not Responding ) the minute I click something. And yes I am running a 4-4 64bit system

edited December 1969

Noshoba said:
    Don't feel bad.. I am loading one of the new duf files and its taking 10 minutes to make any changes as simple as making something visible or not. Goes straight to ( not Responding ) the minute I click something. And yes I am running a 4-4 64bit system

8 GB, 64 bit here. My laptop is a customized gaming/3D development build, too... :down:
  • edited December 1969

crashed on the resave >,<</p>

• RoygeeRoygee Posts: 2,247
    edited December 1969

How long will this RC last and what is the download file size?

I ask because I'd like to test, but not if it's going to waste a huge chunk of my limited bandwidth allowance. The last version 4.0.3.47 was almost 1Gig, most of which was of no use to me.

• Takeo.KenseiTakeo.Kensei Posts: 1,303
    edited December 1969

Hi everybody

Yes, the .duf file is lightweight if there are assets it can refer to. That means .dsf files for native content, or Poser files for non-native content. It can even store the original content and the conversion settings for AutoFitted clothing. But if you rig something with the Content Creation Tools the rigging information (geometry, joints, morphs and weight maps) have to be somewhere - if they aren't saved out as dsf files then they have to be embedded in the .duf file.

Thanks Richard. Do you have also the 64 bit version beeing very slow?

edited December 1969

Thanks Richard. Do you have also the 64 bit version beeing very slow?

I haven't had much time to play, but in as far as I have I haven't noticed a big difference. Note that although the bare Poser assets are enough for a .duf scene to open correctly, converted assets are created and saved so it's possible that if you save a scene from the 64 bit version of DS and then from the 32 bit version the latter will be quicker as it has less to do - but I'm not certain that that is the case, even if it matches what you did.

• edited December 1969

I'm just learning at the moment and upgrading to this has really set me back. The main thing I'm playing with at the moment is head morphs - so, imported the same way as before and couldn't find it anywhere in the head parameters. Found from an earlier post it's no longer in the parameters for the head, but in the ones for the figure itself - and guess what? It's stopped working! Has no effect at all! Actually, I've just realised and tested - my morphs didn't even load with the advanced loader, only with the pro.

Plus, what is with trying to cancel a render? I cancelled a render after 3 minutes and it didn't close off until 3min 10 secs later, virtually locking the computer up in the mean time. Thought it was a fluke, but no - takes ages every time.

I'm beginning to wish I had waited too :-(

edited December 1969

Cancelling a render has to wait on 3Delight - if a single bucket is taking ages to render then so will the cancellation. If this is a frequent issue it may be worth lowering the bucket size - but there's a slight speed penalty for doing so.

• TralenTralen Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Hello,

I'm experiencing some problems with the .duf saves. If I dial some morphs in a character, save it and reopen it, everything is fine. However, if after reopening I set any of those morphs back to default (zero), save and reopen, the zeroing will be ignored, meaning, the dials are back to where I've set them before. Apparently, after a dial has been changed, the .duf file won't save it if its reverted to zero, I have always to use a value of 0.001 or similar to get it to save the value.

I'm using RC1 here, has this been fixed in RC2?

• Sphinx MagooSphinx Magoo Posts: 572
    edited December 1969

Enjoying RC1 32-bit so far. Faster renders, faster loads and saves.

A couple of things though...
    1) Sometimes I will open a DS4 file I made with DS4Pro 4.0 and the maps are totally messed up. Reapplying maps helps but might there be a workaround? Maybe I'll check next time to see what mapping coordinates it's using.
    2) I'd love to use Gen X, but it doesn't show up in my Tabs list. I've reinstalled more than once and it doesn't work. Might anyone offer a clue for this clueless user?

I'm downloading RC2 now so maybe there will be a fix for the above two issues. Here's hoping I don't pick up a bunch more. ;)

Thanks!

• edited December 1969

SmallFry said:

1) Sometimes I will open a DS4 file I made with DS4Pro 4.0 and the maps are totally messed up. Reapplying maps helps but might there be a workaround? Maybe I'll check next time to see what mapping coordinates it's using.
    2) I'd love to use Gen X, but it doesn't show up in my Tabs list. I've reinstalled more than once and it doesn't work. Might anyone offer a clue for this clueless user?

I'm downloading RC2 now so maybe there will be a fix for the above two issues. Here's hoping I don't pick up a bunch more. ;)

Thanks!

I asked the same question and it has not been upgraded to work with this RC

• Sphinx MagooSphinx Magoo Posts: 572
    edited December 1969

Noshoba said:
    SmallFry said:

Thanks!

I asked the same question and it has not been upgraded to work with this RC

Thanks, Noshoba. That's a bummer, that is. I have all sorts of morphs I'd like to bring over, but since 4.5 wiped out my 4.0 install I guess I have to wait.

• X3ZX3Z Posts: 12
    edited December 1969

Is there any troubles in RC2 when using LOD for M4\V4 like in RC1?