edited December 1969

You can check out the galleries on Howie's site too:

http://www.howiefarkes.com/?page_id=227

• whispers65whispers65 Posts: 952
    edited December 1969

Jay_NOLA said:
    You can check out the galleries on Howie's site too:

http://www.howiefarkes.com/?page_id=227

Thanks! I'll go browse while I'm freeing up space to install everything.

• GarstorGarstor Posts: 1,411
    edited December 1969

Ok true to my word. I'm home and what I did can be summed up in one word:

Spppppllllluuuuuurrrrrgggggeeeeeeeee.

There was just simply too much pressure trying to decide which ones to buy so I bought all three, and bundles when I could. :)

Sometimes you just gotta go for it. :P

edited December 1969

Garstor said:
    Ok true to my word. I'm home and what I did can be summed up in one word:

Spppppllllluuuuuurrrrrgggggeeeeeeeee.

There was just simply too much pressure trying to decide which ones to buy so I bought all three, and bundles when I could. :)

Sometimes you just gotta go for it. :P

Yup, now all I have to do is figure out a few things and I'll be off and running!

edited December 1969

3DAGE said:
    HI whispers65

I don’t know if I would ever have a chance to get it free like daz pro a while back. A long time back I had purchased it also. So that’s one thought.

C6 and C7were both featured on the Cover-Disk of 3D Magazines,. so you could wait to see if that happens to C8,.
    but,. it may not happen.

if you have either C6, or C7, then you should be eligible for upgrade pricing.

I have a prob now and can never get anything to look like the promos. So if Carrara was the same way then I’m less likely to purchase as I’m not knowledgable enough to do all that other stuff.

What you see in a carrara promo image, is exactly what you'll get when you render that scene.

All the lighting, sky, terrain, plants, etc are saved in the scene,. so you simply load and render.

I didn’t see a trial version of Carrara.[/quote

There's a Trail / Demo version of Carrara 8 Pro,. for PC and MAc, avalable on CNET www.downloads.com
    search for Daz Carrara.

Hope it helps :)[/quote

Well when you said that I would be Able to just load and render and what I saw in the promo was what I was going to get, I still had my doubts but was secretly hoping. Well this is a first. I got what I saw and its a great quality I can stick on my desktop as a background. That has never been my experience before. I learning about lighting but have aping way to go. Tonight I'm going to try to get 8.5 up and going. I do have it installed. And I want to try and add a prop and see how that goes but I'm already impressed. Now if I could just create something that looked as good. I wouldn't mind be able to use what others create though. I've always wanted to create something like a state park environment with campsites, etc.

• Jay_NOLAJay_NOLA Posts: 1,145
    edited March 2013

whispers65,

on Howie;s web site he has some free downloads. The HTML Read Me files you can download Secret Lake and Stone Creek are worth downloading even if you don't have those products. He gives some very detailed information on render settings which you want to know for any outdoors scenes. This information isn't in the current Read Me that gets installed with those products. Also, don't unzip and put those Read Me files in the same folder as you'll overwrite images that are different, but have the same name.
    I keep both of those in separate folders in my Read Me folder.

The free Snow Scene on his site is included with Carrara 8.

Also, Carrara 6 Pro is included with on the disk that comes with the book Figures, Characters and Avatars: The Official Guide to Using DAZ Studio to Create Beautiful Art, by Les Pardew. If you get the book you want the older 1st edition. The newer second edition doesn't come with a disk. The disk also has a ton of DAZ content on it too.

Edited: Fixed info on Read Me files.

Post edited by Jay_NOLA on
    edited December 1969

Jay_NOLA said:
    whispers65,

on Howie;s web site he has some free downloads. The HTML Read Me files you can download Secret Lake and Stone Creek are worth downloading even if you don't have those products. He gives some very detailed information on render settings which you want to know for any outdoors scenes. This information is in the current Read Me that gets installed with those products. Also, don't unzip and put those Read Me files in the same folder as you'll overwrite images that are different, but have the same name.
    I keep both of those in separate folders in my Read Me folder.

The free Snow Scene on his site is included with Carrara 8.

Also, Carrara 6 Pro is included with on the disk that comes with the book Figures, Characters and Avatars: The Official Guide to Using DAZ Studio to Create Beautiful Art, by Les Pardew. If you get the book you want the older 1st edition. The newer second edition doesn't come with a disk. The disk also has a ton of DAZ content on it too.

Thanks for the info! I did go ahead and purchased Carrara 8 and Stoney Creek and Secret Lake and the Hedge Maze. :)

So I'm in good shape. I didn't think about the readme files so I will check them out for sure. It sounds like it will be very helpful.

• Jay_NOLAJay_NOLA Posts: 1,145
    edited December 1969

Glad you took the plunge you'll love Carrara. Quick correction to my previous post. The render setting info isn't in the current Read Me files for those products, it is is in the Read Me files on his site. Also grab the Distribution Maps he has for those products the links are right next to the Read Me ones. Grab all the other free stuff he has too while your at it. :)

edited December 1969

Jay_NOLA said:
    Glad you took the plunge you'll love Carrara. Quick correction to my previous post. The render setting info isn't in the current Read Me files for those products, it is is in the Read Me files on his site. Also grab the Distribution Maps he has for those products the links are right next to the Read Me ones. Grab all the other free stuff he has too while your at it. :)

Thanks. I'll take a look when I get home. I did go last night but only admired the scenery. :)

I have no idea what a distribution map is but I'll get it.

edited December 1969

on content

pretty well all Poser format stuff works, but not studio specific stuff except new .duf format in beta
    (shaders may need tweeking for highlight and Poser proceedurals may not work)
    and of couse not Poser dynamic hair but Carrara has its own hair
    animated cloth sims can be imported after using dyntomorph py script in Poser
    Carrara inbuilt bullet softbody not suited for animation but some draping possible.
    Genesis works for some in the C8.5beta (including me but I get a lot of random freeze ups and errors at times)
    as a studio user you may need to get used to a few differences in interface.
    Poser scenes can be opened in Carrara and many Poser users have used it as a render engine.

hiya...just wondering how you have your C8.5 Beta setup. What I did last night was install both C8 and C8.5 in it's own folder. I have C8 activated but C8.5 looks like only 30 day trail unless I'm missing the serial number or something.

now the Carrara stuff I bought last night aka Stoney Creek, Secret Lake, etc, I actually installed on both C8 and C8.5. I then mapped my what I called Non-Daz folder (basically anything that the DIM doesn't install, mainly stuff bought at Rendo, etc).

I have not mapped the Daz Runtime folder yet. I'm just trying to decide if I want everything separate or I'm just going for overkill at this point with the two installations of Carrara.

Anyway, I was wondering what your view was? Thanks.

• evilproducerevilproducer Posts: 9,040
    edited December 1969

Jay_NOLA said:

Thanks. I'll take a look when I get home. I did go last night but only admired the scenery. :)

A distribution map is used to control where replicated objects are placed on an object (usually a terrain) using a surface replicator. You can use multiple surface replicators on an object and multiple objects within the replicator. Great if you want a replicator to distribute grass and another for trees and another for under growth, etc. You can even replicate groups of objects. A distribution map is not required, but then the objects will be distributed across the entire object.

• evilproducerevilproducer Posts: 9,040
    edited December 1969

hiya...just wondering how you have your C8.5 Beta setup. What I did last night was install both C8 and C8.5 in it's own folder. I have C8 activated but C8.5 looks like only 30 day trail unless I'm missing the serial number or something.

now the Carrara stuff I bought last night aka Stoney Creek, Secret Lake, etc, I actually installed on both C8 and C8.5. I then mapped my what I called Non-Daz folder (basically anything that the DIM doesn't install, mainly stuff bought at Rendo, etc).

I have not mapped the Daz Runtime folder yet. I'm just trying to decide if I want everything separate or I'm just going for overkill at this point with the two installations of Carrara.

Anyway, I was wondering what your view was? Thanks.

I would keep the two installs. Carrara 8.5 is still a beta. They will most likely post a new beta serial number in the C8.5 Beta thread stickied at the top of the forum when the old one is due to expire.

The C8 production build of Carrara doesn't support Genesis, but all the earlier figures are supported. You could point both versions at your runtimes.

edited December 1969

Jay_NOLA said:

A distribution map is used to control where replicated objects are placed on an object (usually a terrain) using a surface replicator. You can use multiple surface replicators on an object and multiple objects within the replicator. Great if you want a replicator to distribute grass and another for trees and another for under growth, etc. You can even replicate groups of objects. A distribution map is not required, but then the objects will be distributed across the entire object.

Thanks! Very good information.

• stu sutcliffestu sutcliffe Posts: 274
    edited December 1969

Sorry to change the subject, but Wendy how does one go about making those huge GIF s that you posted with the maze?

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,811
    edited December 1969

open an image series as layers in Gimp and save as a .gif choosing save as animation as your option.
    Most likely you can do it in Photoshop too.
    . . . . but I only can afford Gimp.
    (yes I grabbed the CS2 downloads but feel too guilty to use them)

• stu sutcliffestu sutcliffe Posts: 274
    edited December 1969

I tried to follow a PS tutorial a while back, I think they missed a step, ended up pulling my hair out and gave up. But I think it pretty similar to what you said.
    Im using that CS2, no body has been round to beat me up yet!