Star Trek Builders Thread!

Comments

• Porthos1Porthos1 Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

I wonder if it would be okay to share WERTS Cardassian morph? I have all the other Star Trek ones and it doesn't say anything in the readme's about not re-distibuting it!

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

IF it doesn't say that you can redistribute it in the readme then the general concsensus is that you haven't been given permission to do so.

THere was a reason for Werts to withdraw all his stuff.

edited December 1969

Oh, okay....thanks! :)

edited September 2012

My attempt at 7 of 9 morph!

7even.jpg
    556 x 642 - 189K
    Post edited by Porthos1 on
  • blutobluto Posts: 828
    edited September 2012

GRFK DSGN Unlimited,
    some time ago you made for me textures that im my opinion was fantastic , it was a set of alrernate next gen era uniforms for use with m4 valiant
    i have been waiting very patiently for the companion set that would work with v4 couragous , is there any chance of this ever happening?

pretty please!!!

Render_1.jpg
    823 x 506 - 15K
    Post edited by bluto on
  • TimbalesTimbales Posts: 2,251
    edited December 1969

Porthos1 said:

very nice

• crownlioncrownlion Posts: 117
    edited December 1969

excalibur gets in close and gets a kill

kill.jpg
    700 x 700 - 260K
  • ThalekThalek Posts: 318
    edited December 1969

Porthos1 said:

Not bad at all! It looks to me like the texture needs a little more work than the morph does, and IMO, the morph doesn't need any work.

• PDSmithPDSmith Posts: 712
    edited September 2012

For those that are looking for fantastic explosions, may be surprised that the one you're looking for is the one you built yourself.

This tutorial is one of the easiest to use and if you save the image from photoshop or gimp as a png, import into your scene and you have what you need.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F1dAedHmsuk

download some google clouds, follow the steps and BANG you have what you want.

It's what I used for all my of explosions in '30 minutes' and 'Virus'

http://pdsmith.deviantart.com/gallery/35287680#/d4k8x06 (link to Trek Graphic novel 30-minutes)

and

http://pdsmith.deviantart.com/gallery/35287680#/d4pjkob (link to Trek Graphic Novel 'Virus')

10-3a_copy.jpg
    753 x 776 - 327K
    Post edited by PDSmith on
  • CricketCricket Posts: 436
    edited December 1969

Rduda said:
    I liked the one on the Right (the curly top).

OK, questions:
    As you seen I've been working on my TOS/TNG conversion. I'm going off Spikes Star Trek page (http://www.st-spike.org/index.html) for uniform info (See below). Do you think under TOS yellow helm includes Conn too? So inTNG you would have Chekov & Sulu in red? Was Uhura was Engineering or Security? Wasn't the teal color in TNG Science?

TOS
    Gold (Yellow): Command, Helm - Kirk, Chekov, Sulu
    Red: Engineering, Security - Scotty, Uhura
    Blue: Science, Medical - Spock, McCoy

TNG:
    Gold (Yellow): Engineering, Security - Scotty, Uhura
    Red: Command, CONN - Kirk, Chekov, Sulu
    Blue: Science, Medical - Spock, McCoy

Any thoughts?

For TNG, Gold was also used for Operations, which should include Communications (Uhura), although Communications were mostly handled by the OPs officer and/or Security officer. Navigation was combined with Helm, so Sulu should wear Red and Checkov would either be OPs (Gold) or maybe Security? (also Gold).

• patience55patience55 Posts: 7,006
    edited December 1969

crownlion said:
    Patience's prop works really good

excalibur under attack

You doing some nice work there with TheSchell's props ;-)

I've finished the 1st set of insignia which I hope to pack up and release sometime over the next 24 hours or so.
    The photo image from which i worked is not of high enough caliber so I've made what I hope is a "passable" 'holding texture' for people to use. If/when anyone finds a better image to use, feel free to exchange it ;-)
    Will include the basic bump/displacement images [blk/white ones] and also some black/white displacement images for the pips if wanted for closer up images. The props will only be loading the main image. All the extras will be in the same texture folder for easy finding.

n.b. to anybody using the prop making script for D/S, do NOT load a prop and ask it to remake the prop under a new name thinking that you will have then 2 props in the folder. Oh they'll be there ... but the first prop will not look quite right ;-) So it does something ... work from copies if/when it matters.

edited December 1969

PDSmith said:
    For those that are looking for fantastic explosions, may be surprised that the one you're looking for is the one you built yourself.

This tutorial is one of the easiest to use and if you save the image from photoshop or gimp as a png, import into your scene and you have what you need.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F1dAedHmsuk

... edit ...

Good find! Thank you.

edited September 2012

http://www.mediafire.com/?cvrwjliehapi7cr

Here's the set.
    Had a request so have also included the previous badges I had released. Might want to unzip to a screening folder and remove them if you don't want/need them first.

ideally.png
    555 x 550 - 153K
    extremes.png
    547 x 537 - 180K
    backsides.png
    600 x 471 - 36K
    0_unseen_for_this.png
    550 x 535 - 163K
    as_they_load.png
    600 x 523 - 126K
    Post edited by patience55 on
    edited September 2012

And the rest.

w_wo_displacement.png
    600 x 519 - 190K
    usefront_for_one_tone.png
    600 x 421 - 164K
    shaders_reapply_texture.png
    546 x 540 - 158K
    shaderfun.png
    549 x 600 - 120K
    otherusestoo.png
    534 x 431 - 191K
    Post edited by patience55 on
  • mdbruffymdbruffy Posts: 2,345
    edited September 2012

HELP! I know this is primarily a Daz forum, but I'm asking for help here anyway. Some of you have followed my Nova Trek series (I hope) and know that at the end of book 7, Enterprise was badly- severely- damaged. Next book picks up with her being repaired. No big secret there.
    Problem: the top pic is the unrendered work window. Inside the yellow square, you can clearly see into the saucer- you can see the decks.
    Bottom pic is the exact same file only rendered.I have turned off every shadow I can find. added a spotlight aimmed into the saucer, I have changed the textures to white, I have boosted the ambient lighting to a level of 10. plugged in probe lights and pushed those levels to 100- AND THE DECKS STILL RENDER BLACK.
    I am out of ideas. If anyone has one, please share...

Screwed-up-render-WEB.jpg
    900 x 726 - 203K
    Post edited by mdbruffy on
  • MattymanxMattymanx Posts: 6,879
    edited December 1969

mdbruffy said:
    HELP! I know this is primarily a Daz forum, but I'm asking for help here anyway. Some of you have followed my Nova Trek series (I hope) and know that at the end of book 7, Enterprise was badly- severely- damaged. Next book picks up with her being repaired. No big secret there.
    Problem: the top pic is the unrendered work window. Inside the yellow square, you can clearly see into the saucer- you can see the decks.
    Bottom pic is the exact same file only rendered.I have turned off every shadow I can find. added a spotlight aimmed into the saucer, I have changed the textures to white, I have boosted the ambient lighting to a level of 10. plugged in probe lights and pushed those levels to 100- AND THE DECKS STILL RENDER BLACK.

Poser or DAZ Studio?

edited December 1969

Mattymanx said:
    mdbruffy said:

Poser or DAZ Studio?

Poser 9.

edited December 1969

Only thing i can think of is checking off "Render Normals Forward" on those surfaces.

Only other time I have seen black like that in Poser is a prop that was not parented to a figure and when that part of the model was inside out.

edited December 1969

I'll try it and see what happens.

edited December 1969

Mattymanx said:
    Only thing i can think of is checking off "Render Normals Forward" on those surfaces.

Only other time I have seen black like that in Poser is a prop that was not parented to a figure and when that part of the model was inside out.

Poser 9 doesn't show that option in the render prefrences.

P9-Render-options.jpg
    863 x 714 - 178K
    edited December 1969

Sorry, thats per surface so its in the Material Room

If your on a windows system and there is a lot of surfaces, I recommend saving a MC6 file as is and then you can use a program like NoteTab+ to modify the MC6 file by searching the file for the "Normals forward" and changing the values from "0 0 1" to "1 0 1" resaving the file and then reapplying the MC6 to the model. Wordpad and notepad do not allow you to search and replace more then one line at a time. Notetab+ will let you do multiple lines which you will need to do. Simpler then it sounds really.

edited December 1969

Mattymanx said:
    Sorry, thats per surface so its in the Material Room

If your on a windows system and there is a lot of surfaces, I recommend saving a MC6 file as is and then you can use a program like NoteTab+ to modify the MC6 file by searching the file for the "Normals forward" and changing the values from "0 0 1" to "1 0 1" resaving the file and then reapplying the MC6 to the model. Wordpad and notepad do not allow you to search and replace more then one line at a time. Notetab+ will let you do multiple lines which you will need to do. Simpler then it sounds really.

If it's in the Poser 9 Material Room, I don't see it.
    How many lines are we talking about?

Poser-9-Material-Room.jpg
    998 x 1080 - 174K
    edited December 1969

In Poser you want "Normals Forward" which is at the bottom of the list for "Poser Surface" I didn't open poser to double check the wording, sorry.

If you save out a MC6 file and open it in Wordpad or notepad or Notetab+ it will be listed at the bottom of each material.

edited September 2012

Checking "Normals Forward" had no affect. What's driving me crazy, is that this is the same scene file I used for the last book. I built the dock around the ship.This panel is from that story- where the decks rendered fine. What could have changed?

Page-107,-panel-2-WEB.jpg
    900 x 656 - 198K
    edited September 2012

I'm about ready to say the heck with this. I pulled up the original scene file- the one my last post was made with- and made the material library files based on it. They should have fixed the problem since the decks rendered fine in that file.
    They did not.

I applied those new material files to the problem decks and they did not make any difference. :-(

• MotoTsumeMotoTsume Posts: 520
    edited December 1969

mdbruffy said:
    I'm about ready to say the heck with this. I pulled up the original scene file- the one my last post was made with- and made the material library files based on it. They should have fixed the problem since the decks rendered fine in that file.
    They did not.

I applied those new material files to the problem decks and they did not make any difference. :-(

have you tried placing a light or 2 inside on those decks - to see if that helps?

• edited December 1969

Hello, all. Longtime lurker here.

First off, I want to thank all the kind artists who have provided me with all these new and wonderful toys to play with.

And second, I thought I'd share this with you. I've been on a real Cardassian kick lately, what with Bluto's Cardie vest and Mylocha's texture sets. However, I lacked an actual Cardassian to use these creations on. I don't have WERTS' morphs (and from the sounds of it, will never get them), so, I've been playing around with displacement maps. Here is my "work-in-progress".

Any and all comments are welcomed.

CardieWIP02.jpg
    812 x 748 - 160K
    CardieWIP01.jpg
    812 x 748 - 174K
    edited December 1969

MotoTsume said:
    mdbruffy said:
    They did not.

have you tried placing a light or 2 inside on those decks - to see if that helps?

Yes- and it made no difference. I've tried spotlights, probe lights, ambient lighting- nothing effects them.

• MotoTsumeMotoTsume Posts: 520
    edited September 2012

here is a comment for YA blubeetle3 :)

me want, me want :)

Post edited by MotoTsume on
    edited December 1969

Hello, all. Longtime lurker here.

First off, I want to thank all the kind artists who have provided me with all these new and wonderful toys to play with.

And second, I thought I'd share this with you. I've been on a real Cardassian kick lately, what with Bluto's Cardie vest and Mylocha's texture sets. However, I lacked an actual Cardassian to use these creations on. I don't have WERTS' morphs (and from the sounds of it, will never get them), so, I've been playing around with displacement maps. Here is my "work-in-progress".

Any and all comments are welcomed.

Bluebeetle, that looks like you're off to a great start! Hope you plan to share it with the rest of the class when you're done! :-)

This discussion has been closed.