Star Trek Builders Thread!

Comments

• mdbruffymdbruffy Posts: 2,345
    edited December 1969

Anyone know where I can find a TOS Movie era tricorder?

• TimbalesTimbales Posts: 2,243
    edited December 1969

TimG said:
    I was playing with the New Adventures suit and hit on a color combo I like. I think it combines the looks of all the different ST eras.

the V4 shirt version is available free at renderosity, btw.

Yep, that's how I learned of the New Adventures Uniform. I like how the boots look more like Nike's than boots. :)
    Also, is this just from playing with the colors or a new texture?

I'm planning to make these for my own comic, soon.

Btw, anyone has a bridge that matches, or at least close to matches, the bridges of the Stargazer and the Hatheway?

just colors, really.

I did add a color layer in Photoshop (multiply setting) over the bump map set at 50% transparency, just for some depth.

• MattymanxMattymanx Posts: 6,879
    edited December 1969

Looks like we will finally have an Akira Class soon.

The USS Adamek which has some bad stuff happening to part of the mesh is easily fixed now that I have some experiance in Hexagon!

edited December 1969

Mattymanx said:

The USS Adamek which has some bad stuff happening to part of the mesh is easily fixed now that I have some experiance in Hexagon!

How are you coming with your idea for dealing with built-in names?
    edited December 1969

mdbruffy said:
    Mattymanx said:

I have two of the four alphabets done. Its not going to be a perfect solution but it will be more then good enough and extremely lightweight.

Only issues I see will be curved surfaces and poser. The props are always made in DS and I do not yet know what it is about the DS made props using OBJ2PP2 that causes them to ALWAYS rotate around the center of the scene in Poser yet in DS they do not.

I am working on the 3rd alphabet here and there which is an edit of the 1st one. 1st one being the dark lettering with the red outline. Only three of them will be Canon or close to it. The last one will be close to what Madman used on his starships cause I think it looks nice.

They will all have the same surface name so it will be easy to integrate them in to an excisting model or save out a new OBJ or PP2 for reuse instead of having to rebuild them all the time. Redistributing the alphabets as new OBJ or PP2 or whatever for any ship will be highly permitted and greatly encouraged!!! Same goes for new ships anyone is building. I plan to make the alphabets available over at F3D so modelers can use them too to perhaps save some time and effort depending on their own skills. The main advantage of the 3D alphabets are their lack of size. The first alphabet altogether is only 1.89MB while the second one is less then 1MB total.

So as it stands, the main starship font is done (black w/red outline) and the TOS starship font is done as well. I dont know when the other two will be finished since my time is divided between work (making content for the store) and primarly star ship conversions which are FAR more entertaining and less mind numbing then donig the alphabets.

• CricketCricket Posts: 434
    edited December 1969

Mattymanx said:

Any chance you could convert the Luna class USS Titan?

edited August 2012

Mattymanx said:
    mdbruffy said:
    Mattymanx said:

I have two of the four alphabets done. Its not going to be a perfect solution but it will be more then good enough and extremely lightweight.

Only issues I see will be curved surfaces and poser. The props are always made in DS and I do not yet know what it is about the DS made props using OBJ2PP2 that causes them to ALWAYS rotate around the center of the scene in Poser yet in DS they do not.

I am working on the 3rd alphabet here and there which is an edit of the 1st one. 1st one being the dark lettering with the red outline. Only three of them will be Canon or close to it. The last one will be close to what Madman used on his starships cause I think it looks nice.

They will all have the same surface name so it will be easy to integrate them in to an excisting model or save out a new OBJ or PP2 for reuse instead of having to rebuild them all the time. Redistributing the alphabets as new OBJ or PP2 or whatever for any ship will be highly permitted and greatly encouraged!!! Same goes for new ships anyone is building. I plan to make the alphabets available over at F3D so modelers can use them too to perhaps save some time and effort depending on their own skills. The main advantage of the 3D alphabets are their lack of size. The first alphabet altogether is only 1.89MB while the second one is less then 1MB total.

So as it stands, the main starship font is done (black w/red outline) and the TOS starship font is done as well. I dont know when the other two will be finished since my time is divided between work (making content for the store) and primarly star ship conversions which are FAR more entertaining and less mind numbing then donig the alphabets.

So what your saying is, turn off the name that's built in and use your alphabet to create a new "prop" to set in place over the same area. That sounds good as long as turning the built-in name off doesn't leave holes in the mesh- and I've seen that happen with some models.

Post edited by mdbruffy on
    edited December 1969

A solution to that, and I know it will happen is to make the excisting lettering the same colour as the hull to better blend in. Again, not a perfect solution as some of the ships will share the red in teh text with the star fleet symbol and stripes

• Robert FreiseRobert Freise Posts: 4,260
    edited December 1969

Mattymanx said:
    The props are always made in DS and I do not yet know what it is about the DS made props using OBJ2PP2 that causes them to ALWAYS rotate around the center of the scene in Poser yet in DS they do not.

Have you looked to see if the objects center is getting moved I've had that happen importing an object before but have never tried from DS
    so it's just a thought

edited December 1969

Mattymanx said:
    The props are always made in DS and I do not yet know what it is about the DS made props using OBJ2PP2 that causes them to ALWAYS rotate around the center of the scene in Poser yet in DS they do not.

Have you looked to see if the objects center is getting moved I've had that happen importing an object before but have never tried from DS
    so it's just a thought

Forgo to say that I tried moving the center of the obj before exporting as a PP2.

In Poser, no matter where you move the ship and how far up or down off the floor it is, it will always rotate around the center of the scene.

• Robert FreiseRobert Freise Posts: 4,260
    edited December 1969

Oh well it was just a thought as I've had Poser change the center where I had to reset it in Poser using the joint editor

edited December 1969

Thanks anyways for your input Robert! :)

• jaguarry3jaguarry3 Posts: 230
    edited December 1969

Just a little render " sign here please"

Signiture_Please.jpg
    1011 x 961 - 109K
  • jaguarry3jaguarry3 Posts: 230
    edited December 1969

mdbruffy said:
    Anyone know where I can find a TOS Movie era tricorder?

Haven't seen one but if anyone needs a reference check out the PDF on this link
    http://www.roddenberry.com/star-trek-prop-replicas/star-trek-prop-replica-kits/star-trek-the-motion-picture-tricorder-prop-kit-deluxe.html#

• GRFK DSGN UnlimitedGRFK DSGN Unlimited Posts: 1,040
    edited August 2012

Isosceles said:
    Mattymanx said:

Has there been one converted? Just curious...

David

Post edited by GRFK DSGN Unlimited on
  • rdudarduda Posts: 579
    edited December 1969

mdbruffy said:
    TimG said:
    I was playing with the New Adventures suit and hit on a color combo I like. I think it combines the looks of all the different ST eras.

the V4 shirt version is available free at renderosity, btw.

Yep, that's how I learned of the New Adventures Uniform. I like how the boots look more like Nike's than boots. :)
    Also, is this just from playing with the colors or a new texture?

I'm planning to make these for my own comic, soon.

Btw, anyone has a bridge that matches, or at least close to matches, the bridges of the Stargazer and the Hatheway?

The Stargazer's bridge was a re-use of the ST:TMP bridge- the only other bridge set Paramount had at the time. If you can find the model of the ST:II bridge, it's the same just different graphics.

If any one needs the ST II bridge just let me know, I made it a while back and just had people PM me an e-mail to send them out, just do the same if you want one.

• AndypAndyp Posts: 31
    edited August 2012

Isosceles said:
    Mattymanx said:

David

yeah I converted a pretty decent looking luna a while back, but was unable to get a hold of the original author...

luna6.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 196K
    luna5.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 233K
    luna4.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 164K
    luna2.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 285K
    luna1.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 189K
    Post edited by Andyp on
    edited August 2012

Isosceles said:
    Mattymanx said:

I have a USS Titian on the list but its not the Luna Class.

andrewbrian

Where is that ship from? I dont recall seeing it before.

Post edited by Mattymanx on
    edited August 2012

Mattymanx said:
    Isosceles said:
    Mattymanx said:

I have a USS Titian on the list but its not the Luna Class.

andrewbrian

Where is that ship from? I dont recall seeing it before.

Its the Luna Class USS Titan, it came with like 20 registries. It is the official design of the ship class that was designed for the book series, and is featured at some star trek museum tour.

Post edited by Andyp on
    edited December 1969

Isosceles said:
    Mattymanx said:

David

yeah I converted a pretty decent looking luna a while back, but was unable to get a hold of the original author...

wow! I would give anything for that ship, and I have a lot to give!!!! I've been looking for that ship to convert for ever!!!!

edited December 1969

Rduda said:
    Isosceles said:
    Mattymanx said:

David

wow! I would give anything for that ship, and I have a lot to give!!!! I've been looking for that ship to convert for ever!!!!

I could possibly try releasing it, I currently have it saved in a zip with it in the blender format, .nif format, and two versions of the .obj because last time I was looking into releasing it several people had problems with one of the versions

• crownlioncrownlion Posts: 117
    edited December 1969

does anyone know if this model ia out there

uss-churchill-ncc-2713-6

uss-churchill-ncc-2713-6.jpg
    1024 x 768 - 134K
    edited December 1969

crownlion said:

uss-churchill-ncc-2713-6

One is available on scifi-meshes

edited December 1969

I found the author over at Scifi-Meshes and asked where I can get it from. I will let you know how it goes from there.

edited December 1969

crownlion said:

uss-churchill-ncc-2713-6

One is available on scifi-meshes

Some one saved it as an OBJ for me and I made a poser version, I'll see if I have it handy.

• crownlioncrownlion Posts: 117
    edited December 1969

thanks Mattymanx

edited December 1969

I do have her converted!

AAA.jpg
    600 x 592 - 133K
  • TimbalesTimbales Posts: 2,243
    edited August 2012

Am I the only one who thinks the bridge of the USS Sutherland is very odd for a ship it's size? It's a Nebula class, and the saucer section is the same as the Galaxy class, but the bridge is tiny and very odd.

sutherland-bridge.jpg
    1024 x 828 - 211K
    Post edited by Timbales on
    edited December 1969

TimG said:
    Am I the only one who thinks the bridge of the USS Sutherland is very odd for a ship it's size? It's a Nebula class, and the saucer section is the same as the Galaxy class, but the bridge is tiny and very odd.

http://www.ex-astris-scientia.org/gallery/bridges/sutherland-bridge.jpg

Link doesn't work.

edited December 1969

TimG said:

http://www.ex-astris-scientia.org/gallery/bridges/sutherland-bridge.jpg

well the reason why they used this design, is because the set it a redress of the galley from the undiscovered country. it was what was available at the time when they filmed redemption. The only other bridge set would have been the ambassador set that was redressed as the vorcha bridge.

This discussion has been closed.