Star Trek Builders Thread!

Comments

• celticarchiecelticarchie Posts: 63
    edited July 2012

Hey folks,

Does anyone know how tall Kate Mulgrew is? :ohh:

Si :P

http://www.celebheights.com/s/Kate-Mulgrew-136.html

She's 5.5 but had to wear heels to appear 3 1/2 inches taller.

Thanks, that's a handy little site. :)

Si :P

Post edited by celticarchie on
  • ThalekThalek Posts: 318
    edited December 1969

You've been busy, Ptrope!

• mdbruffymdbruffy Posts: 2,345
    edited December 1969

Rduda said:
    mdbruffy said:
    Rduda said:
    Almost done with my Olympic Class Bridge, here is a quick view:

Whatever happened to Picard's Ready Room?

I'm going to have it up next week, keep your eyes out for that and a couple more things not trek but star wars and such!

Great! Wow, go away for 3 days and you guys talk up a storm.

edited December 1969

crownlion said:
    just trying out a scene.

Nice to see the ACR getting some use.

• MotoTsumeMotoTsume Posts: 520
    edited December 1969

No word on the Jem hadar?

• altmanaltman Posts: 1
    edited December 1969

yes, it is nice mdbruffy

edited December 1969

altman said:
    yes, it is nice mdbruffy

I'm just glad when other folks find my stuff useful.

• GRFK DSGN UnlimitedGRFK DSGN Unlimited Posts: 1,047
    edited December 1969

Sorry for the delay boys and girls. Monday was a bit of a stressful day for yours truly. Here's your weekly dose of The Final Frontier...

07_Page_07_preview.jpg
    776 x 600 - 453K
    edited December 1969

I took a few days and went to DC. Made a mistake in going right during the hottest days. Got a couple of shots of ther Original 1701. Here's the link if anyone's intrersted:

http://usstamerlane.com/MainForum/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=943

edited December 1969

Beautiful pictures! I wish I still had my AMT model, because I have a faint memory I do not trust that those recessed regions may have also been recessed on the model.

I found it interesting how the recessed regions kind of echo the intakes of the movie version of the nacelles.

• PtropePtrope Posts: 679
    edited July 2012

Almost there! Thought I'd show off a preview of the Time Ship - it's in 'beta testing' right now, but all the hard stuff is done :). I should be posting it to ShareCG on Friday (the 13th!)

DAZ_peek002.jpg
    1240 x 986 - 268K
    Post edited by Ptrope on
  • TimbalesTimbales Posts: 2,249
    edited December 1969

very nice

edited December 1969

Ptrope said:
    Almost there! Thought I'd show off a preview of the Time Ship - it's in 'beta testing' right now, but all the hard stuff is done :). I should be posting it to ShareCG on Friday (the 13th!)

Whoah! that's nice!

edited July 2012

Need a little help here. Working on a WOK Cadet's uniform for my next story. This uses the V3 Body Suits P4. Yeah, it's amazing what one can find in the back of one's closet! The problem is the beige area around the shoulders. I drew a nice straight line for the trim and it renders wacky. If anyone has any ideas, I'd love to hear 'em.

Tams-Movie--Cadet-Uniform-.jpg
    800 x 579 - 117K
    Crazy-trim-2-WEB.jpg
    542 x 800 - 100K
    Post edited by mdbruffy on
    edited December 1969

If you can find a UV map for that jump suit, it might help. A straight line in the image might turn out to be pretty strange in the mapping.

Alternatively, if you can use a 3D painting program such as Argile, you can paint the texture directly to the 3D figure, and what you see is what you'll get. (It should be noted that Argile doesn't handle multi-layer UV maps at all well. I've had instances where I tried to paint on eyebrows and the texture also showed up in other, unexpected locations. Single layers, it works fine.)

I had a few issues when I was trying to create the First Contact p-suit boots because of the differences between how the UV map is laid out, and how I expected things to turn out.

edited December 1969

Thalek said:
    If you can find a UV map for that jump suit, it might help. A straight line in the image might turn out to be pretty strange in the mapping.

Alternatively, if you can use a 3D painting program such as Argile, you can paint the texture directly to the 3D figure, and what you see is what you'll get. (It should be noted that Argile doesn't handle multi-layer UV maps at all well. I've had instances where I tried to paint on eyebrows and the texture also showed up in other, unexpected locations. Single layers, it works fine.)

I had a few issues when I was trying to create the First Contact p-suit boots because of the differences between how the UV map is laid out, and how I expected things to turn out.

The only maps I have are the original texture maps. I've never heard of Argile. And if I did go that route, wouldn't I have to export the suit as an obj and then reimport and re-rig it?

edited December 1969

mdbruffy said:

The only maps I have are the original texture maps. I've never heard of Argile. And if I did go that route, wouldn't I have to export the suit as an obj and then reimport and re-rig it?

Argile is a program by the Quidam people at www.n-sided.com

If the suit already has an object file and a UV map, no, you wouldn't have to export and re-import. You'd simply be saving the texture files and applying them.

If it doesn't have an object file, yeah, you'd probably have to go that route. I can't remember if you'd also have to create UV map or not; I think the program will do that, as well, but I haven't used it in awhile. So, my memory and my technique are both a little rusty.

edited December 1969

Thalek said:
    mdbruffy said:

Argile is a program by the Quidam people at www.n-sided.com

If the suit already has an object file and a UV map, no, you wouldn't have to export and re-import. You'd simply be saving the texture files and applying them.

If it doesn't have an object file, yeah, you'd probably have to go that route. I can't remember if you'd also have to create UV map or not; I think the program will do that, as well, but I haven't used it in awhile. So, my memory and my technique are both a little rusty.

Is it a free program? Money's an issue right now.

edited December 1969

No, alas. It is not free. Maybe Google can find a free 3D painting program?

edited December 1969

Thalek said:

I haven't used Argile or any other 3D paint program, but if it alows you to paint the texture directly onto the model as-is, I would think it is using the existing UV mapping and should create a texture file that has whatever distortions and waves are necessary to line it back up again when it's used with those maps.

Even if it's not, it's very easy to swap the geometry of a model, and you don't have to re-rig it as long as none of the grouping has been changed. Even if the model has embedded geometry instead of a separate OBJ file, you can export the model as an OBJ, do whatever 3D painting you want to do, and if prompted, save the OBJ along with the texture map. Open up the CR2 (or PP2) in a text editor, and if it already uses an OBJ, just change the name of it in the CR2 to whatever the new name is and make sure the path is correct, as well (not a problem if you saved it in the same folder as the original). If it had embedded geometry, open up another CR2 that you KNOW has a separate OBJ (like this:

{
    version
        {
        number 4.01
        }
    figureResFile :Runtime:Geometries:DAZPeople:blStephaniePetite_stockings.obj
    actor BODY:1

... and the CR2 you want to modify, and compare them - the one with the embedded geometry will have lines and lines of text starting with "v" and "f" that are an embedded OBJ file; select all of that group of text and delete it, then replace it with the line from the other CR2 that references the OBJ location,and change the path and filename to match the one you want to use, like this:

{
    version
        {
        number 4.01
        }
    figureResFile :Runtime:Geometries:MyFolder:NewOBJFilename.obj

All of the rigging carries over as long as the external OBJ retains the original groups and overall geometry - new UV mapping won't change anything in the rigging. By the way, if you want to replace embedded geometry the easy way, pick up "Geometry Stripper" (free!) over at Vanishing Point:

http://www.vanishingpoint.biz/freestuff.asp?StartNo=421

It extracts the geometry, writes it as an external OBJ in the same folder (probably in your Character folder, but you can move it if you want a tidy Runtime ;)) and correctly rewrites the CR2 with the path reference; I'd recommend this over doing it by hand, because the OBJ is probably referenced at least 2x in a CR2 ...

edited July 2012

Ptrope said:
    Thalek said:

I haven't used Argile or any other 3D paint program, but if it alows you to paint the texture directly onto the model as-is, I would think it is using the existing UV mapping and should create a texture file that has whatever distortions and waves are necessary to line it back up again when it's used with those maps.

Even if it's not, it's very easy to swap the geometry of a model, and you don't have to re-rig it as long as none of the grouping has been changed. Even if the model has embedded geometry instead of a separate OBJ file, you can export the model as an OBJ, do whatever 3D painting you want to do, and if prompted, save the OBJ along with the texture map. Open up the CR2 (or PP2) in a text editor, and if it already uses an OBJ, just change the name of it in the CR2 to whatever the new name is and make sure the path is correct, as well (not a problem if you saved it in the same folder as the original). If it had embedded geometry, open up another CR2 that you KNOW has a separate OBJ (like this:

{
    version
        {
        number 4.01
        }
    figureResFile :Runtime:Geometries:DAZPeople:blStephaniePetite_stockings.obj

... and the CR2 you want to modify, and compare them - the one with the embedded geometry will have lines and lines of text starting with "v" and "f" that are an embedded OBJ file; select all of that group of text and delete it, then replace it with the line from the other CR2 that references the OBJ location,and change the path and filename to match the one you want to use, like this:

{
    version
        {
        number 4.01
        }
    figureResFile :Runtime:Geometries:MyFolder:NewOBJFilename.obj

All of the rigging carries over as long as the external OBJ retains the original groups and overall geometry - new UV mapping won't change anything in the rigging. By the way, if you want to replace embedded geometry the easy way, pick up "Geometry Stripper" (free!) over at Vanishing Point:

http://www.vanishingpoint.biz/freestuff.asp?StartNo=421

It extracts the geometry, writes it as an external OBJ in the same folder (probably in your Character folder, but you can move it if you want a tidy Runtime ;)) and correctly rewrites the CR2 with the path reference; I'd recommend this over doing it by hand, because the OBJ is probably referenced at least 2x in a CR2 ...

Oh boy... I've always been leary of fooling around with a file's script. Think I'll see what kind of free paint programs are out there. If I can't find any, then I guess I'll go without the trim and let it stand as one more difference between Nova and Star universes.

Post edited by mdbruffy on
    edited December 1969

I tracked down a free download for ZBrush- but I need the serial number for it. I have an e-mail into it's creators now.

On another subject, I'm getting very tired of having to log in everytime I come back to the forum- and this time, whenh I clicked on the login in button, the site sent me to my aqccount window- again.

edited December 1969

Well at least you are getting notifications. I have to do a search for the topic and check it periodically to see if anything new as been posted. It seemed for awhile they had these issues fixed. Apparently not...

edited December 1969

Well at least you are getting notifications. I have to do a search for the topic and check it periodically to see if anything new as been posted. It seemed for awhile they had these issues fixed. Apparently not...

I have the forum bookmarked so I can checdk it if I don't see or hear anything after awhile.

edited December 1969

Tried that. Just easier to go to the Commons, scroll to the bottom and enter "trek" into the search field and hit enter. And funny thing is after I posted my last comment, I finally got a notification that you had posted in response. Once I'm subscribed to a thread I should stay subscribed until I unsubscribe. I shouldnt have to post something to stay subscribed to the thread.

edited December 1969

Gee I guess it's the "26th" post where you become a "member". That is so lame...

edited December 1969

mdbruffy said:
    Oh boy... I've always been leary of fooling around with a file's script. Think I'll see what kind of free paint programs are out there. If I can't find any, then I guess I'll go without the trim and let it stand as one more difference between Nova and Star universes.

Well, any time you muck about with a CR2 or other Poser file, it's a good idea to save the modified one as a copy, rather than overwriting the original, and then you can test it to make sure it works. If it doesn't, you haven't broken anything permanently.

What exact model are you using for the outfit? Who is the vendor? I was looking to see if I had the model, as well, so I could look at the UV-mapping. If you are comfortable with UV-mapping, you could always open the original OBJ in something like UV Mapper (Pro or Classic, which is what I use), remap it on 'planar' mode (or just remap the yoke area), save it as a new OBJ, and then copy the CR2 and modify the OBJ path in it to match your newly-saved one. I've done that on several models (including M3's catsuit from DAZ) in order to get specific mapping or material zones that are free of distortion. It would be similar to the DAZ preteen catsuit (or maybe it was the Young Teens) that had two versions: one was a wrapped UV-map, and one was planar mapped. Each has its advantages and disadvantages, as you've discovered. If you remap the model, you can't use standard maps on it, or course, but the ones you WANT to use will be much easier, and by making a copy, you just pick the right one for the intended purpose :).

edited December 1969

Ptrope said:
    mdbruffy said:

Well, any time you muck about with a CR2 or other Poser file, it's a good idea to save the modified one as a copy, rather than overwriting the original, and then you can test it to make sure it works. If it doesn't, you haven't broken anything permanently.

What exact model are you using for the outfit? Who is the vendor? I was looking to see if I had the model, as well, so I could look at the UV-mapping. If you are comfortable with UV-mapping, you could always open the original OBJ in something like UV Mapper (Pro or Classic, which is what I use), remap it on 'planar' mode (or just remap the yoke area), save it as a new OBJ, and then copy the CR2 and modify the OBJ path in it to match your newly-saved one. I've done that on several models (including M3's catsuit from DAZ) in order to get specific mapping or material zones that are free of distortion. It would be similar to the DAZ preteen catsuit (or maybe it was the Young Teens) that had two versions: one was a wrapped UV-map, and one was planar mapped. Each has its advantages and disadvantages, as you've discovered. If you remap the model, you can't use standard maps on it, or course, but the ones you WANT to use will be much easier, and by making a copy, you just pick the right one for the intended purpose :).

Well, I found the suit's obj file- The obj is called "V3_Bodysuit_2", and I took it into UV MApper. You can see in the template, that the area of the front upper chest has been condensed or something. The way the texture map is done, the problem doesn't show up.

BodySuitsMapVer2-WEB.jpg
    800 x 800 - 206K
    V3_BodySuit_2-WEB.jpg
    800 x 800 - 202K
    edited July 2012

Ah-hah.

Yeah, an enterprising little developer could select just the section of the yoke and create a new UV-map for it (assign it its own material, like "Yoke" ;)), planar in the Z-plane, and then save the OBJ as "“V3_Bodysuit_3.OBJ." Then copy the CR2 and edit the copy to point to the new OBJ, and then make your texture map for the yoke separate from that of the rest of the model. It looks like the original mapping was done differently, and then the edges squared up to make it easier to paint the seams ...

Post edited by Ptrope on
    edited December 1969

Ptrope said:
    Ah-hah.

Yeah, an enterprising little developer could select just the section of the yoke and create a new UV-map for it (assign it its own material, like "Yoke" ;)), planar in the Z-plane, and then save the OBJ as "“V3_Bodysuit_3.OBJ." Then copy the CR2 and edit the copy to point to the new OBJ, and then make your texture map for the yoke separate from that of the rest of the model. It looks like the original mapping was done differently, and then the edges squared up to make it easier to paint the seams ...

Except for this one problem the suit's working out just fine. I don't have the skills or the know how to fix this. Would you be able to?

This discussion has been closed.