Shameless self-promotion

2»

Comments

• David BrinnenDavid Brinnen Posts: 3,136
    edited December 1969

Thanks Jim... never thought of myself of as a maverick before... fancy. Interesting blog, I've added Santosky to my watch list. Very nice.

My present researches, export of Bryce scenes to Octane, progress so far is still promising - geometry and geometry relationships are not doable including almost all Bryce primitives... still more testing to be done on this score though. Have to figure out how to handle lights too... and materials are proving... troublesome. Here's the latest test scene trial...

Leds_octane1.jpg
    500 x 500 - 48K
    Led5v4.jpg
    800 x 600 - 80K
  • Jim_1831252Jim_1831252 Posts: 728
    edited December 1969

Haha, hope I'm not crossing the line with "labelling" you a maverick - I know it might be a bit of a misattribution but when one is in the moment anything can happen!

A shame that you can’t import Bryce geometry in to Octane, but I guess it isn't strange. I'm not sure how many packages out there natively support Bryce files. Not having spent a lot of time in Bryce I'll ask a silly question: can you convert Bryce geometry to other formats like .obj? Oh, and how do you get Bryce scenes into Octane? Is there a plugin?

Your test scene is looking very promising. I know all about the troubles of working out new material formats from my experiences with Studio to Lux, or at least I would think that Bryce to Octane would be similarly tricky.

• David BrinnenDavid Brinnen Posts: 3,136
    edited December 1969

jimzombie said:
    Haha, hope I'm not crossing the line with "labelling" you a maverick - I know it might be a bit of a misattribution but when one is in the moment anything can happen!

A shame that you can’t import Bryce geometry in to Octane, but I guess it isn't strange. I'm not sure how many packages out there natively support Bryce files. Not having spent a lot of time in Bryce I'll ask a silly question: can you convert Bryce geometry to other formats like .obj? Oh, and how do you get Bryce scenes into Octane? Is there a plugin?

Your test scene is looking very promising. I know all about the troubles of working out new material formats from my experiences with Studio to Lux, or at least I would think that Bryce to Octane would be similarly tricky.

No problem over "labelling", I was just amused.

Bryce to Octane... geometry export is not bad. Not bad at all so far. I've already worked out some nice strategies. To tidy things up for Octane I'm using Wings3D to sort out the object/material attribution. I will make tutorials for this process when I've got as far as I can and it is fully understood and as optimal as I can make it. Getting the materials out... not so good. There are a few things I can test, and a few strategies that I can think of... but it looks like it will be faffy. But by the time you are ready to contemplate using something like Octane, you really should be ready to cope with faffy! The beauty of Octane for me is that it can sit side by side with Bryce and neither program hinders the other for resources. And in turn, I can use Octane to experiment with accelerated Pathfinding and materials options and then test the results in Bryce on TA, giving me a further insight into the Premium render engine in Bryce.

Bryce_v_octane13.jpg
    1024 x 512 - 164K
  • HoroHoro Posts: 10,119
    edited December 1969

@Jim - very nicely done. Santorky is certainly an artist to watch. A new "discovery" for me.

@David - looking good, I like the LEDs.

• Jim_1831252Jim_1831252 Posts: 728
    edited March 2013

Thanks Horo. Glad you both approve of the first feature. Santosky certainly has an interesting style and thematic approach to his work. He runs a group called Bryce-World on deviant art http://bryce-world.deviantart.com/.

David; "There are a few things I can test, and a few strategies that I can think of… but it looks like it will be faffy. But by the time you are ready to contemplate using something like Octane, you really should be ready to cope with faffy!"
    So many things in 3D are faffy! Faf is what we do - or at least what I do :D That's your octane render on the right, isn't it. Or is it the left?

I'll repost the blog link as it will probably get missed on the last page.

First installment in the Bryce artist features on DigiSprawl: http://digisprawl.com/blog/?p=299&preview=true

Post edited by Jim_1831252 on