Luxus discussion

Comments

• ketthroveketthrove Posts: 63
    edited December 1969

Mattymanx said:
    Luxball 6 scene for Poser and DAZ Studio.

http://www.luxrender.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=5527&p=94030#p94030

I have converted the famous Luxball scene for use in Poser and DS. This is designed as a handy little test scene where you can do all the testing you want and be able to compare to other lux users. (incase you dont know)

A duf conversion of the lux ball was also posted in the Eluxir thread. It may be an older version of the luxball as it has the numbers as geometry instead of the png, but it has the light setup for Luxus. Maybe these should be merged together.

• MattymanxMattymanx Posts: 6,879
    edited December 1969

ketthrove said:
    Mattymanx said:
    Luxball 6 scene for Poser and DAZ Studio.

http://www.luxrender.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=5527&p=94030#p94030

I have converted the famous Luxball scene for use in Poser and DS. This is designed as a handy little test scene where you can do all the testing you want and be able to compare to other lux users. (incase you dont know)

A duf conversion of the lux ball was also posted in the Eluxir thread. It may be an older version of the luxball as it has the numbers as geometry instead of the png, but it has the light setup for Luxus. Maybe these should be merged together.

That appears to be version 3. Version 6 is a higher quality and mostly quads. Users can pick and choose though.

• BeaBea Posts: 743
    edited December 1969

I am looking into the transmap problem. There is one things that is an uphill battle and that is an alpha blended object is not a real life thing.. If something is see through, like glass, it refracts and things happen to the light as it travels through the inner part(volume) of the mesh.

That being said, I am sure the current autotranslation can be improved.

I would be delighted if we could get the tranmaps to work all the time :) :)

• KeryaKerya Posts: 10,943
    edited December 1969

First a thank you: this is fun! And an extra thank you for adding the possibility to remove the Luxus material settings!
    I do read Readme's/Tutorials - and then I go aroung poking at things ... sometimes the poking does get wrong. LOL

Second, a question: is there a possibility to add lxm and lbm LuxRender materials somehow?
    http://www.luxrender.net/en_GB/lrmdb2
    http://www.luxrender.net/lrmdb/en/category/material/view/13
    A simple step by step tutorial on the howto would be nice.

• Herald of FireHerald of Fire Posts: 3,504
    edited December 1969

Kerya said:
    First a thank you: this is fun! And an extra thank you for adding the possibility to remove the Luxus material settings!
    I do read Readme's/Tutorials - and then I go aroung poking at things ... sometimes the poking does get wrong. LOL

Second, a question: is there a possibility to add lxm and lbm LuxRender materials somehow?

1) Download the LXM file for the material you want to add.
    2) Open the file in a text editor like Notepad and look for the line beginning 'MakeNamedMaterial'
    3) At the end of the text add the line 'NamedMaterial "material_name"' where material_name is the material named listed under "MakeNamedMaterial"
    4) Copy the entire material including the line you added.
    5) Paste it into the Luxrender Extra Settings option in Daz Studio.
    6) Render
  • CzexanaCzexana Posts: 167
    edited December 1969

I think I'm finally getting a handle on glossy translucent and homogenous volumes for skin!

It would be easier if the volume absorption colour was set by using required transmition colour at specified depth (similar to how uberSurface2 does it, and recomended for Lux exporters here) ...

media_skin_SSS_test.jpg
    500 x 500 - 42K
  • Herald of FireHerald of Fire Posts: 3,504
    edited December 1969

Do you mind posting your settings for that image? I'm presently experimenting with all kinds of settings at the moment, but my last few attempts seem to give off multi-coloured patches. It'd be interesting to compare and contrast.

• KeryaKerya Posts: 10,943
    edited December 1969

Kerya said:

1) Download the LXM file for the material you want to add.
    2) Open the file in a text editor like Notepad and look for the line beginning 'MakeNamedMaterial'
    3) At the end of the text add the line 'NamedMaterial "material_name"' where material_name is the material named listed under "MakeNamedMaterial"
    4) Copy the entire material including the line you added.
    5) Paste it into the Luxrender Extra Settings option in Daz Studio.
    6) Render

Thank you very much!
    And thank you for step 6 - made me laugh!

edited December 1969

Do you mind posting your settings for that image? I'm presently experimenting with all kinds of settings at the moment, but my last few attempts seem to give off multi-coloured patches. It'd be interesting to compare and contrast.

Sure - I was going to try tweaking them a bit before posting, but it's a good starting point if others want to play. It is slow and takes a high S/p to clear up as you can see from the stats on the picture.

So here goes:

Glossy translucent settings:
    Diffuse - diffuse map, colour [64 64 64]
    Transmission - diffuse map, colour [255 255 255]
    Specular - specular map, colour [12 16 20]
    U and V roughness - 0.3
    thin layer absorption colour - [3 130 255]
    thin layer depth - 0.02
    multibounce - on
    onesided - on

For the volume, you want to calculate the absorption colour you need to give a specific transmission colour at a specific depth. I had to look in the Lux source (colourdepth material code) to remind myself of the equation, which is A = -ln(T)/d where T is the transmission colour for each of [R G B], d is the depth (in meters!) you want that colour to appear.

This gives large numbers that need to be split into the [R G B] triplet and scale. The scale is max(R,G,B) for A and the [R G B] triplet is found by multiplying the [R G B] values of A by 255/max(R,G,B) of A.

Hope that makes sense. For example, if I want a transmission of [250 50 20] at 5mm (0.005m) I get an A of [2 163 255] and scale of 509, which I rounded to 500.

So, volume settings:
    type - homogeneous
    refractive index - 1.00
    absorption colour - [2 163 255]
    absorption scale - 500
    scattering colour - [250 100 20]
    scattering scale - 340

bump - bump map, 0.0005 amount

Hope this helps.

• Jim_1831252Jim_1831252 Posts: 728
    edited March 2013

Now that I know how to actually convert to Lux materials I'm having a blast! Did a short reviewish thang http://digisprawl.com/blog/unknown-palace/

d13x.jpg
    800 x 511 - 139K
    Post edited by Jim_1831252 on
  • jax_512b7aea09jax_512b7aea09 Posts: 61
    edited December 1969

czexana said:

Sure - I was going to try tweaking them a bit before posting, but it's a good starting point if others want to play. It is slow and takes a high S/p to clear up as you can see from the stats on the picture.

So here goes:

Glossy translucent settings:
    Diffuse - diffuse map, colour [64 64 64]
    Transmission - diffuse map, colour [255 255 255]
    Specular - specular map, colour [12 16 20]
    U and V roughness - 0.3
    thin layer absorption colour - [3 130 255]
    thin layer depth - 0.02
    multibounce - on
    onesided - on

For the volume, you want to calculate the absorption colour you need to give a specific transmission colour at a specific depth. I had to look in the Lux source (colourdepth material code) to remind myself of the equation, which is A = -ln(T)/d where T is the transmission colour for each of [R G B], d is the depth (in meters!) you want that colour to appear.

This gives large numbers that need to be split into the [R G B] triplet and scale. The scale is max(R,G,B) for A and the [R G B] triplet is found by multiplying the [R G B] values of A by 255/max(R,G,B) of A.

Hope that makes sense. For example, if I want a transmission of [250 50 20] at 5mm (0.005m) I get an A of [2 163 255] and scale of 509, which I rounded to 500.

So, volume settings:
    type - homogeneous
    refractive index - 1.00
    absorption colour - [2 163 255]
    absorption scale - 500
    scattering colour - [250 100 20]
    scattering scale - 340

bump - bump map, 0.0005 amount

Hope this helps.

Thanks for posting this; I'm new to this and was lost and in need of a starting point to experiment.

One question.. When I render with these settings on the skin, I get a bunch of warnings in the log:
    [2013-03-17 10:36:26 Warning: 0] Parameter 'backface_multibounce' not used
    [2013-03-17 10:36:26 Warning: 0] Parameter 'backface_index' not used
    [2013-03-17 10:36:26 Warning: 0] Parameter 'backface_uroughness' not used
    [2013-03-17 10:36:26 Warning: 0] Parameter 'backface_vroughness' not used
    [2013-03-17 10:36:26 Warning: 0] Parameter 'backface_d' not used
    [2013-03-17 10:36:26 Warning: 0] Parameter 'backface_Ks' not used
    [2013-03-17 10:36:26 Warning: 0] Parameter 'backface_Ka' not used
    I'm not sure if I should have set something different, or if I should just ignore the warnings.

• InaneGloryInaneGlory Posts: 294
    edited December 1969

Definitely having issues with trans-mapped materials using UberSurface2 translating into Lux. Works right if you strip them back to the default DS Shader.

Couple questions.
    Grouping lights: how can I do this in DS so Lux reads them as a group?

Grouped Mesh Lights: now that you've split up individual material zones into their own unique light, how can I combine them into groups?

IES Data: where can I plug it in?

Luxus Material Translations: Is it possible to see the final results of the auto-translation Luxus is doing?

Thanks, having lots of fun in LuxRender now:-)

• stump3point1stump3point1 Posts: 139
    edited December 1969

They ought to sticky this thread, it's turning into a great resource.

Thank's to all.

edited December 1969

Definitely having issues with trans-mapped materials using UberSurface2 translating into Lux. Works right if you strip them back to the default DS Shader.

Couple questions.
    Grouping lights: how can I do this in DS so Lux reads them as a group?

Grouped Mesh Lights: now that you've split up individual material zones into their own unique light, how can I combine them into groups?

IES Data: where can I plug it in?

Luxus Material Translations: Is it possible to see the final results of the auto-translation Luxus is doing?

Thanks, having lots of fun in LuxRender now:-)

I know LuxRender can handle the trans-maps; reality renders manage to get the settings converted over. I've been trying to compare the output files to figure out what Reality is doing that Luxus isn't. No luck so far :(

• riftwitchriftwitch Posts: 1,404
    edited December 1969

I made the quickest render I could throw together. YT Julie wearing Wilmap's Greek Dress and Mitsu Hair for Genesis, discovering Sannzi's Glass Deer outside of the recently-released Atrium set. I initiated the render through the normal Render pane and it rendered in a normal render window, though you could probably do it in the Luxrender GUI if you wanted.

Lights: I applied the SunSky preset and then rotated the angle. No other changes
    Materials: I got rid of all the Glass Deer's maps, changed the diffuse color to white, and applied the Blue Glass2 preset. No other changes.
    Luxus Settings: All I checked was "Collect Textures" which I always do with Lux. Other than that, it's all out-of-the-box default settings.
    Render Time: 30 minutes with approximately 60 samples per pixel.
    Postwork: None.

This is not an attempt to show off the capabilities of Luxus or Luxrender, and it certainly ain't art, neither. It's just to show what the plug-in can do with minimal, default settings

That's really quite nice. I must be doing something wrong, because I've had a simple render going for several hours now, and it isn't anywhere near done. I did let a render run while I was asleep last night, and it turned out nice, but that was eight hours. And it still didn't look anywhere as nice as the one you posted. Any tips on what I could do to speed things up?

edited December 1969

Mordur said:
    Thanks for posting this; I'm new to this and was lost and in need of a starting point to experiment.

One question.. When I render with these settings on the skin, I get a bunch of warnings in the log:
    I'm not sure if I should have set something different, or if I should just ignore the warnings.

No need to worry about this - glossy translucent surfaces can be defined as one sided or two sided with different settings on either side, controlled with the 'onesided' option, but Luxus always writes these parameters whether they're needed or not. Lux will just ignore them.

edited December 1969

I just tried another render and had bright orange splotches all over it. I changed the sampler from metropolis to lowdiscrepancy and the blotches are not appearing, so I think either metropolis sampler doesn't cope well with homogeneous volume scattering or my settings are wrong.

Might be worth you trying it, anyway.

edited March 2013

riftwitch said:
    That's really quite nice. I must be doing something wrong, because I've had a simple render going for several hours now, and it isn't anywhere near done. I did let a render run while I was asleep last night, and it turned out nice, but that was eight hours. And it still didn't look anywhere as nice as the one you posted. Any tips on what I could do to speed things up?

Grab the Luxball scene here - http://www.luxrender.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=5527&p=94055#p94030 - and familiarize yourself with Lux Materials via the Lux Wiki. It will be MUCH easier to learn on a small scene where your only modifiying one or two surfaces at a time. You will have to create your own lights for it but that is easy. Just make a few primiative planes and use the Universal manipulator to make sure it is pointing towards the luxball.

EDIT:
    I forgot to add, keep the scene small. 500x500 is more then enough to see what your results are cause Lux will render small scenes faster then large scenes.

Post edited by Mattymanx on
  • J the NinjaJ the Ninja Posts: 2
    edited December 1969

riftwitch said:

http://www.luxrender.net/wiki/LuxRender_Render_settings#Speeding_Up_LuxRender

Mordur said:
    Couple questions.
    Grouping lights: how can I do this in DS so Lux reads them as a group? Grouped Mesh Lights: now that you've split up individual material zones into their own unique light, how can I combine them into groups? IES Data: where can I plug it in? Luxus Material Translations: Is it possible to see the final results of the auto-translation Luxus is doing? Thanks, having lots of fun in LuxRender now:-)

I know LuxRender can handle the trans-maps; reality renders manage to get the settings converted over. I've been trying to compare the output files to figure out what Reality is doing that Luxus isn't. No luck so far :(

http://www.luxrender.net/wiki/LuxRender_Materials_Null#Alpha_Maps

• willowfanwillowfan Posts: 238
    edited December 1969

I must say I'm getting great results just letting Luxus do it's thing without tweaking any of the daz shaders. I find it much easier to use than I ever did Reality

seated.jpg
    763 x 1080 - 143K
  • SzarkSzark Posts: 10,634
    edited December 1969

I take back what I said a few pages back. I am finding it hard to find specific tutorails and more info on render setting than the LuxWiki can provide.

I just don't get how to adjust each area lights (two) indepenently inside daz studio and show in the render. Yes I have read changing the gain on one light effects the other and redoes the tone mapping blah blah balh...BUT why is my question, without knowing the why I will never understand the how. Can some kind soul please put me out of my misery and point to where some informative webstites other than forums and LuxWiki...for me that Wiki is a waste of time when it come to what each setting really does. A lot of jargon but nothing of substance to a dunce like me. I have tried numours render setting and came to the conlusion that that is not the problem.

I have managed to get a HDRI and Area light to play nice togther using the Lux UI and adjusting the gain of each but when it came to two area lights well that had me baffled. Not hard yeah I know. ;)

Yeah I definitly need a lux crash course.

edited December 1969

Szark said:
    I take back what I said a few pages back. I am finding it hard to find specific tutorails and more info on render setting than the LuxWiki can provide.

I just don't get how to adjust each area lights (two) indepenently inside daz studio and show in the render. Yes I have read changing the gain on one light effects the other and redoes the tone mapping blah blah balh...BUT why is my question, without knowing the why I will never understand the how. Can some kind soul please put me out of my misery and point to where some informative webstites other than forums and LuxWiki...for me that Wiki is a waste of time when it come to what each setting really does. A lot of jargon but nothing of substance to a dunce like me. I have tried numours render setting and came to the conlusion that that is not the problem.

I have managed to get a HDRI and Area light to play nice togther using the Lux UI and adjusting the gain of each but when it came to two area lights well that had me baffled. Not hard yeah I know. ;)

Yeah I definitly need a lux crash course.

I agree about shortcomings of the Lux Wiki.. for example I looked up the 'cloth' material to find out how it works, and the wiki just says, "The model's parameters are too many to expose individually" ... umm ok, that's what a wiki is for isn't it?

*sigh*

Anyways, about your lighting problem. I think it's the same problem I had a number of pages back. Is your Tone Mapping Kernel set to auto linear? If it is, set it to Linear then you can adjust the lights. You can change that either in DS's Render Settings or in the LuxRender GUI.

edited December 1969

czexana said:
    Mordur said:

No need to worry about this - glossy translucent surfaces can be defined as one sided or two sided with different settings on either side, controlled with the 'onesided' option, but Luxus always writes these parameters whether they're needed or not. Lux will just ignore them.
    Thanks. I thought that might be the case, but thought it odd that unused parameters would be passed to the render engine.

edited December 1969

Thanks Mordur I will give that try tomorrow. Liner...yes I have tried Liner and everything was blown out so I will try again making some more adjustments. Thank you.

I will say that yes the wiki does have info that does help amoung the many pages and I have now a little more understanding. Just got to undo what I have learnt in Daz Studio etc. Anyways the basic material part of the wiki is some real help in basic surfaces which does in help to start to learn about what does what.

I read a page on Portals and I wonder if there are still needed.

edited December 1969

Linear works like real world cameras for light adjustment.

If you are having issues, it is best to post the render showing the issue and the settings for the materials.

I once again suggest using the Luxball scene posted here several times so that you are only playing with a small scene with a few materials and dont render huge, just 500x500 or so.

edited December 1969

yep small scene - check
    500 x 300 - check

Linear - still to try properly.

But yeah I get the jist of it now how the Auto and Rienhard linear works now and why. Quite cool when I think about it. :)

edited December 1969

I found this helpful http://www.luxrender.net/wiki/New_User_Tips_and_Tricks especially for some of the render settings.

• GranvilleGranville Posts: 681
    edited March 2013

I find Luxus easier to use than Reality. I was never able to get any good results with it. I think it helps the learning curve to have it integrated into the directly into DS parameters that I already understand. Lux does volumetric light right out of the box. This is easy to set up in Luxus. I have wasted whole months of my life trying to fake this effect in DS4.5, but It works as expected right out of the box with the any surface.

d70.png
    1440 x 900 - 2M
    Post edited by Granville on
    edited March 2013

Mattymanx said:

If you are having issues, it is best to post the render showing the issue and the settings for the materials.

Sorry missed this bit. To be honest I am not having much trouble with the mats and the Wiki helps in that regards it was just I couldn't get my head around the Auto linear thing, I have now though....I think. ;)

I opted for a HDRI and an plane mesh light and using Reinhard and got a nice balance so I will let that render over night. I am using Hybrid/Metro set to Path as it is a simple test scene.

Thanks Mattymanx

Post edited by Szark on
  • MassMinionMassMinion Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Hey,can anyone offer some insight to saving renders..?.......I have saved my scene (FLM) in the default location (daz/temp etc) shut down the PC.........turned everything on the next day and resumed the render no problem....great.

However If I create a new scene,luxrender seems to delete other existing scenes in the temp folder.....even if they have totally different file names?....any existing scene keeps getting replaced with the new scene?............I've saved my last scene in a different location/folder in the hope that I'll manage to finish the render.............is this normal?

This discussion has been closed.