JACK TOMALIN APPRECIATION SOCIETY [JAS III]

Comments

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,501
    edited December 1969

...not exactly. Since I last moved (some almost 15 years ago) rents have become ridiculously expensive where I live even, for studio not much less 1BR flats. I've been fortunate up to now as there maybe 3 rent increases (all very modest) at most at the place where I have lived all these years. Looked at one studio in town recently which was going for 675USD + all utilities (the ad said 625$ and nothing about the extra utility payments) which comes to nearly 800USD a month (not including about 110USD a month for transit to get to and from work). I make about 1,400 after deductions & taxes, which wouldn't leave much for food, never mind 3D stuff. On top of it there is a 40USD non refundable application fee for "screening" purposes (which is nothing more than a scam in these days of the 'Net)

Rents are a bit cheaper in the burbs, but one needs a car to get around out there as transit service (particularly on evenings and weekends) is pretty terrible. Don't care to make my lengthy commute any longer than it already is either. Many of these places though are pretty much "slap dash" affairs with poor insulation, pasteboard thin walls, and baseboard electric heating (with the heating units conveniently located just beneath the non-weatherised windows). Consequently, any "savings" on the rent is greatly offset by high electric bills during the cold rainy season here.

Another issue that has come to light over the years is hooliganism which is actually worse in some of the orbital communities than in the city proper, as most of the gangs were pushed out of the city centre by all the gentrification and development. A night doesn't go by where I don't hear on he news about a gang related shooting or beating in what once was a fairly quiet "bedroom community."

A lot of it all has to do with all the upscale development, gentrification, and speculation going on here in Portland (Oregon). There's also a really annoying trend going on these days called "flipping": where a house (or even apartment block) that has been foreclosed or vacated because of financial stress, is bought only to be turned around for a profit. This tends to inflate housing costs which is further exacerbated locally here due to the Metro area's unique "Urban Growth Limit" that was imposed years ago to prevent "Los Angeles" type sprawl. As many lost their homes during the economic downturn they have turned to renting which has made it a "landlord's market". For example, at one apartment house down the block from me, rents were recently increased by upwards 200USD/month (causing a number of residents to move out).

So, in spite of being steadily employed for the last 17 years with the same employer (earning a decent though definitely not "upscale" living), I could easily find myself homeless because of where the housing market here is heading.

• BC RiceBC Rice Posts: 591
    edited December 1969

Just bought a church, a library and one giant ass foyer. Coming soon to a motion comic near you. Thanks! ;)

edited December 1969

...have all three plus a "kick butt" classy dining/ballroom.

Yep, Swindon Manor is coming together nicely (well except maybe the church, I think the Vicar would have something to say about that). :)

• Daz Jack TomalinDaz Jack Tomalin Posts: 13,071
    edited December 1969

BC Rice said:
    Just bought a church, a library and one giant ass foyer. Coming soon to a motion comic near you. Thanks! ;)

Lol, I think Anderson Hall just got it's new name ;)

Thanks for the support, enjoy.

edited December 1969

Kyoto Kid said:
    ...not exactly. Since I last moved (some almost 15 years ago) rents have become ridiculously expensive where I live even, for studio not much less 1BR flats. I've been fortunate up to now as there maybe 3 rent increases (all very modest) at most at the place where I have lived all these years. Looked at one studio in town recently which was going for 675USD + all utilities (the ad said 625$ and nothing about the extra utility payments) which comes to nearly 800USD a month (not including about 110USD a month for transit to get to and from work). I make about 1,400 after deductions & taxes, which wouldn't leave much for food, never mind 3D stuff. On top of it there is a 40USD non refundable application fee for "screening" purposes (which is nothing more than a scam in these days of the 'Net)

Rents are a bit cheaper in the burbs, but one needs a car to get around out there as transit service (particularly on evenings and weekends) is pretty terrible. Don't care to make my lengthy commute any longer than it already is either. Many of these places though are pretty much "slap dash" affairs with poor insulation, pasteboard thin walls, and baseboard electric heating (with the heating units conveniently located just beneath the non-weatherised windows). Consequently, any "savings" on the rent is greatly offset by high electric bills during the cold rainy season here.

Another issue that has come to light over the years is hooliganism which is actually worse in some of the orbital communities than in the city proper, as most of the gangs were pushed out of the city centre by all the gentrification and development. A night doesn't go by where I don't hear on he news about a gang related shooting or beating in what once was a fairly quiet "bedroom community."

A lot of it all has to do with all the upscale development, gentrification, and speculation going on here in Portland (Oregon). There's also a really annoying trend going on these days called "flipping": where a house (or even apartment block) that has been foreclosed or vacated because of financial stress, is bought only to be turned around for a profit. This tends to inflate housing costs which is further exacerbated locally here due to the Metro area's unique "Urban Growth Limit" that was imposed years ago to prevent "Los Angeles" type sprawl. As many lost their homes during the economic downturn they have turned to renting which has made it a "landlord's market". For example, at one apartment house down the block from me, rents were recently increased by upwards 200USD/month (causing a number of residents to move out).

So, in spite of being steadily employed for the last 17 years with the same employer (earning a decent though definitely not "upscale" living), I could easily find myself homeless because of where the housing market here is heading.

Nasty.

I assume the price increases are bringing in more people, and displacing the rest?

edited September 2012

...yep, effectively attracting the upwardly mobile 20 - 30 something crowd who have marketable college degrees and nice incomes.

Meanwhile the Joe/Jane "average" wage earner is being squeezed out of the market.

Not into dealing with a shared living situation. I have enough "drama" at the day job and on my commute the way it is. "Home" should be a refuge, from stress and petty mind games.

...at least in my book.

Left a second note at a place down the block that has a vacancy (not the aforementioned apartment house in the last post). Right now, getting it would be a bigger prize than winning the Megabucks Lotto.

...eek it's late. Gotta go, as morning comes way too quickly.

Post edited by kyoto kid on
  • SzarkSzark Posts: 10,634
    edited December 1969

Building Invetero and rubble from West Park Legacy

Watering_Hole.jpg
    757 x 1050 - 877K
  • TotteTotte Posts: 13,441
    edited December 1969

Did this one for the RRRR contest, using WestPark and EastPark stuff, so I thought I post it here ;-)

Lost in translation
    (The headmaster said bring your parents for a visit, and exchange student Farouk did)

lost.jpg
    1200 x 1200 - 385K
    edited December 1969

LOL Nice one Totte. Can't tell from here is that mum or dad? She/he looks good for thier age. ;)

edited December 1969

Szark said:
    LOL Nice one Totte. Can't tell from here is that mum or dad? She/he looks good for thier age. ;)

Next time we will bring the RRRR to the commons so everyone can play!
    Been a PC only thing organized by the BWC ;-)

edited December 1969

I can see the PC forum just I don't spend much time in there. I have promised myself to enter more next year and to hang out a little more over there.

edited December 1969

...the PA ketchup sale has been extended through Monday (payday for me) so I now can pick up Invetero. Yay!

edited December 1969

Kyoto Kid said:
    ...the PA ketchup sale has been extended through Monday (payday for me) so I now can pick up Invetero. Yay!

Yay!

Nice renders guys.. Totte, that's a funny render :)

• ReisormocapReisormocap Posts: 146
    edited December 1969

I just wanted to show off my appreciation for the great West Park set. I have really come to enjoy the quality and work that went into the set, and I am using it extensively in an animation project that's in development.

Here is a quick look at how it is being used in a test animation. This is just a still frame to work on lighting and effects, and the final animations will build on what I've learned from experimenting with and tweaking this animation. If there's enough interest, I'll even post the animation.

Zombie_Hallway_Test_001.jpg
    1280 x 720 - 86K
    edited December 1969

...I love the fact the "big" sets are also modular so those of us without monster systems can still work with them. It takes a bit more to position and assemble the individual components than the load the entire set, but that's a very small price to pay.

edited December 1969

I just wanted to show off my appreciation for the great West Park set. I have really come to enjoy the quality and work that went into the set, and I am using it extensively in an animation project that's in development.

Here is a quick look at how it is being used in a test animation. This is just a still frame to work on lighting and effects, and the final animations will build on what I've learned from experimenting with and tweaking this animation. If there's enough interest, I'll even post the animation.

Love it - the lighting really sells it, too.. nice work.

Sure, would love to see the final animation too - so feel free to drop a link in here when its done :)

edited December 1969

Kyoto Kid said:
    ...I love the fact the "big" sets are also modular so those of us without monster systems can still work with them. It takes a bit more to position and assemble the individual components than the load the entire set, but that's a very small price to pay.

It's also rather more work as well.. so nice to hear the extra time spent is appreciated, thanks :)

edited December 1969

Szark said:
    I can see the PC forum just I don't spend much time in there. I have promised myself to enter more next year and to hang out a little more over there.

And you haven't entered the RRRR contest? What a shame!!!!
    edited December 1969

It's also rather more work as well.. so nice to hear the extra time spent is appreciated, thanks :)

It's also useful when you need akward camera angles.
    Only "issue" with it, when you have lights "outside" you can get those light leaks between the segments, even when you load the full set, both in Poser and DS, like a thin bright line in a corner or on a wall. Guess it has to do with the fact that the points are not welded so in certain angles there is a fraction of the surface with no poly in and the Z-Buffer somehow sees the light from outside to pass through.
    edited December 1969

True Totte.. in some cases where it's caused a problem I try and add in just a plane to block it.. but it's not ideal. Not sure what else can be done actually..?

edited December 1969

True Totte.. in some cases where it's caused a problem I try and add in just a plane to block it.. but it's not ideal. Not sure what else can be done actually..?

Yes, thats what I've been doing. Maybe you could have some well places polygons as an optional add on item that covers those areas from the outside? Like a add-on prop?

edited December 1969

Yea, I guess that's the only option really.. hmmmm!

edited December 1969

Sorry for disturbing your circles Mr Archimedes :-)

edited December 1969

Totte said:

Sorry for disturbing your circles Mr Archimedes :-)

:lol:

edited December 1969

Just a though, hmm, isn't there a way (maybe) to set up a polygon to be a light absorber or something similar, maybe the shader gurus knows a way, that would be a really neat solution if it worked ;-)

edited October 2012

I have thought about this for a while and the conclusion I came up with was adding a corner piece to every outside corner and a flat fillet for flat joins making them part of the preloads only.

Being modular we don't really need this when building your own as you can move things in closer, or like I do if a small scene throw the bump maps into the displacement with the negative value at 0 so it only displaces outward. that usually fills the gap. :)

Post edited by Szark on
  • JaderailJaderail Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Just my two cents. I just add a primitive plane and size it to cover the seam on the outside. Fast and easy fix.

• KickAir 8PKickAir 8P Posts: 1,865
    edited December 1969

An entry in the PlatClub's September 13th Inspirations Contest, used Jack's GIS Skyway and Expansion (with the Future Height and FH Expansion textures). DS4.5Pro render, postwork in GIMP. Larger version in my deviantART gallery here.

Home Ground Disadvantage

Home_Ground_Disadvantage_x2000.jpg
    1600 x 2000 - 752K
  • KickAir 8PKickAir 8P Posts: 1,865
    edited December 1969

An Honorable Mention in the PlatClub's 9/20 Inspirations Contest. Again used Jack's GIS Skyway and Expansion (with the Future Height and Expansion textures). DS4.5Pro render, postwork in GIMP. Larger version in my deviantART gallery here.

GiS: History Field Trip

GiS_History_Field_Trip_x2000.jpg
    2000 x 1125 - 909K
  • JOdelJOdel Posts: 6,242
    edited December 1969

Actually, the issue with the light seeping in at join areas *is* a bit problematic. I was building a set from the library components, and it didn't matter whether I crowded them so close that the wall/bookcase edges overlapped and poked through the arch segments, I *still* got a light seep at the join. I finally got rid of it by building a shell of blank planes around it overlapping all the join areas, but when you've got the wall poking through the arch and it still doesn't block the light at the edge, something is weird.

I was using Dreamlight's light set that shipped with Baroque Grandeure. Not the whole set, since I turned off a lot of bits. But a light set is a light set, right?

This discussion has been closed.