New 2 DAZ. Curious about Hexagon

2»

Comments

• ShawnDriscollShawnDriscoll Posts: 375
    edited December 1969

Thanx for the info.

I am on a PC. W7. 64bit. 2Ghz. 4MbRAM. 500Gb HD. Is that adequate for most work or are we into ROFL mode?

A faster newer computer will not fix the bugs in Hexagon 2.5 unfortunately.

• drcharbonneaudrcharbonneau Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

And what kind of bugs might those be?

edited March 2013

Well...

After doing a great deal of downloading of manuals and tutorial videos on both DAZ, Hex and Blender, I'm seriously wondering what is the advantage of Hex? I looked over the manual and found one thing that I really liked, which was it's ability to perform helices. That would be convenient, although I have more than one program, including my clone, that will do the job. It seems the greatest advantage is compatibility with DAZ and I mostly like the way DAZ handles figures. Blender looks as though it would do anything Hex can, except I have yet to see a way to do a good spring type helix. I messed with screw, but am not fully up to speed with it.

I suppose the question I have now is whether Hex is worth it? Not from the price perspective, but from the perspective of adding another learning curve onto the current ones. Of course I'd like to know more about this alleged bug...

My clone, unlike the software that inspired it, does not have a good list of file formats. The ProE formats are copyrighted, so I don't even use them as its file type, but there are a variety of code packages that include formats like .pov, .raw, .dxf, .3ds and, of course .obj and .igs. So I have other software that will read an iges or object from mine and convert it to .rae or .obj, where the .obj doesn't show up from my own code efforts (sigh).

In all that, what's better? Hex or Blender? I'm understanding how rigging works in both DAZ and Blender. Is Hex going to help me more than Blender?

Post edited by drcharbonneau on
  • RedSquareRedSquare Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Firstly it's too late in the morning for me to try and give chapter & verse. But a quick attempt, ~ Bugs ~ Unfortunately Daz introduced almost as many again bugs when they "improved" Hexagon in its last iteration. However, for most of them we the community have developed work rounds to overcome most of them.

Hex' v Blender very difficult to give a reasoned explanation in the time, but Hexagon is a standalone modeling program which is very intuitive even for the beginner and hides power under the bonnet, which we can access.

Blender is a modeling; UVing: rigging: animation: fluid particle and rendering program. Probably something else I've forgotten: I suppose it depends how quick you want to start modeling. With Hexagon you will quickly learn because of its UI. Blender will take considerable longer to get to grips with due to its UI although they have recently improved it.

So oft to bed I go. :cheese:

edited March 2013

Well...

I'm in no voracious hurry at the moment, so I'll just wait to hear a bit about some of the workarounds and potential pitfalls. Right now my job one is to get through this winter that seems to not be wanting to end. Funny, I sided with the HINODE Japanese scientists who said the sun would enter a quadropole state last May and the surface would go through a cooling phase. Silly me for joining the right camp. Brrrrrrrr!

Post edited by drcharbonneau on
  • ShawnDriscollShawnDriscoll Posts: 375
    edited March 2013

RedSquare,

Are all of our posted work-arounds for Hexagon over the years still on this forum? Or were they all erased when DAZ3D switched to this new BBS software?

Post edited by ShawnDriscoll on
    edited March 2013

Hi Shawn, I'm pretty sure they destroyed them, prats. or if not, they must be lurking gathering dust on a server in a cupboard somewhere.
    :-S

Post edited by RedSquare on
    edited March 2013

@fixmypcmike :red:

or if not, they must be lurking gathering dust on a server in a cupboard somewhere.

Well thank you very much, that has partially restored my faith in human nature. :cheese:

Hex_3.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 472K
    Post edited by RedSquare on