Project EYEris - New DAZ Studio Shader and Preset Package *OUT NOW* [Commercial]

Comments

• SickleYieldSickleYield Posts: 7,629
    edited December 1969

Well, I'm going to buy it for the eye use. But see, look how cool it looks. ;)

• IppotamusIppotamus Posts: 1,578
    edited March 2013

A friend and I were just talking about Genesis eyes and some of their hit and miss problems with them.
    So excited to get my hands on these to see if they fix what ails several characters.

Banner day! :)

Post edited by Ippotamus on
  • agent unawaresagent unawares Posts: 3,513
    edited December 1969

The improvement on the grass was amazing.

• DimensionTheoryDimensionTheory Posts: 434
    edited March 2013

Thank you all for the comments!

Here is my quick attempt at a tiger's eye type material, though that would be better aided with some sort of anisotropic highlight. It did help to add that glint to it though, I imagine it would work well for fool's gold and other really rough rock.

Please note that I'm not a geologist :)

TigerEye.jpg
    500 x 650 - 79K
    Post edited by DimensionTheory on
    edited December 1969

Here are some more tiger eye renders to show how the specular flare amount is affecting it (set to 0.5, 1, 2 then 4 which I had to disable limits for).

TE4.jpg
    500 x 650 - 63K
    TE3.jpg
    500 x 650 - 81K
    TE2.jpg
    500 x 650 - 81K
    TE1.jpg
    500 x 650 - 82K
  • IndigoJansonIndigoJanson Posts: 1,100
    edited December 1969

I'm very excited about this... even though I'm only interested in humans right now (this could well convince me otherwise)! I've been having trouble getting consistent results with eyes, and this looks amazing.

• Herald of FireHerald of Fire Posts: 3,504
    edited December 1969

After recently picking up the Interjections set and giving a new lease of life and depth to existing skin textures, eyes and hair is the next hurdle to jump. The Interjections package came with some nice eye reflection maps, but it looks like this package really goes to town providing a more realistic approach. In short, I'm looking forward to it.

What I'm quite curious about is the raytraced reflections. I've tried to do this myself, with mixed results, in order to accurately depict the lighting setup and scenery. In the end I've had to use reflection maps since they tend to work better. Can it be safely assumed that these shaders can pull off what I could not?

edited December 1969

Thank you both for the feedback!

What I'm quite curious about is the raytraced reflections. I've tried to do this myself, with mixed results, in order to accurately depict the lighting setup and scenery. In the end I've had to use reflection maps since they tend to work better. Can it be safely assumed that these shaders can pull off what I could not?

This is what the goal of the shader is. When looking at real eyes you can tell they don't reflect the same way as chrome, they have high contrast reflections with little color. Normal DS reflections cause eyes to reflect the same way as chrome, which is probably why it was hard for you to find the right results. These tone curved reflections are meant to fix that, reflecting only the brightest bits to keep reflections from being overbearing.

The render I did of Toon Amy is a good example, I actually have David and Jasmine standing in front of her so they reflect in her eyes. Normally with the scene lit up you would see them lit up in the reflections, but with the tone curving clipping them to black they appear as silhouettes more closely to how they should.

Reflection maps are nice and I thought about doing some presets with them in this set honestly. With them though you are unable to get the nice detail of eyelash and facial surface reflections, and they tend to lose their effect when animated.

edited December 1969

This is what the goal of the shader is. When looking at real eyes you can tell they don't reflect the same way as chrome, they have high contrast reflections with little color.

YES! That's it exactly.

Yep. This is exciting stuff right here.

• JennKJennK Posts: 834
    edited December 1969

Looks awesome can't wait to try this one out...

• Herald of FireHerald of Fire Posts: 3,504
    edited December 1969

This is what the goal of the shader is. When looking at real eyes you can tell they don't reflect the same way as chrome, they have high contrast reflections with little color. Normal DS reflections cause eyes to reflect the same way as chrome, which is probably why it was hard for you to find the right results. These tone curved reflections are meant to fix that, reflecting only the brightest bits to keep reflections from being overbearing.

The render I did of Toon Amy is a good example, I actually have David and Jasmine standing in front of her so they reflect in her eyes. Normally with the scene lit up you would see them lit up in the reflections, but with the tone curving clipping them to black they appear as silhouettes more closely to how they should.

Reflection maps are nice and I thought about doing some presets with them in this set honestly. With them though you are unable to get the nice detail of eyelash and facial surface reflections, and they tend to lose their effect when animated.
    Okay, I'm sold. It'll be the perfect accompaniment to Interjections.

• agent unawaresagent unawares Posts: 3,513
    edited December 1969

The tiger eyes are pretty great. I especially like the third one from the flare adjustment examples.

• Mustakettu85Mustakettu85 Posts: 2,933
    edited December 1969

This looks awesome!

There's one thing which is not completely clear to me - do you use reflections on the iris per se, or only on the cornea+sclera?

edited December 1969

This looks awesome!

There's one thing which is not completely clear to me - do you use reflections on the iris per se, or only on the cornea+sclera?

Thank you! Reflections are only used on the sclera and cornea (well the tear and lacrimal as well). The Iris is more like a matte materials suspended in a ball of reflective goo :)

• Canary3dCanary3d Posts: 2,004
    edited December 1969

Pretty! Want now! Gimmie gimmie gimmie!

• Roni LoveicyRoni Loveicy Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

I was wondering if you had a release date as of yet?

edited March 2013

Loveicy said:
    I was wondering if you had a release date as of yet?

I'm sorry for the delay, but the release day is today! It's been released as part of March Madness :cheese:

http://www.daz3d.com/project-eyeris/

• magicweavermagicweaver Posts: 244
    edited December 1969

can it be used as a merchant resource? just askin.

Thanks,
    MW

• ArkathanArkathan Posts: 65
    edited December 1969

>>>Snag!<<<<br /> I've been holding on to my money waiting on this one... to the detriment of the other madnesses.

• cridgitcridgit Posts: 1,757
    edited May 2022

Redacted

Post edited by cridgit on
  • fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,565
    edited December 1969

In the cart as soon as I saw it

• JabbaJabba Posts: 1,458
    edited December 1969

O yeah, lookin' good...

V5 default texture with full eye preset "DTPE-HumanG" applied to it.
    Light source is the DS version dome Skies of Terra "SoTSunny1"

EyePresetTestV5.jpg
    1920 x 590 - 530K
  • JabbaJabba Posts: 1,458
    edited December 1969

cridgit said:
    Hi DT

Will the shaders work in Reality / Lux?

Thanks

They're designed for 3Delight... did a quick render in Lux via Reality, doing the usual (convert cornea & tear to hyper-realistic glass) and it rendered as attached.
    There might be a way to do more tweaking, but in all fairness to product, it's not designed as a one-click setting for Luxrender, but sure is pretty kick-a$$ in 3Delight (the render in the post above).
    RealityEyeTestV5.jpg
    1920 x 590 - 448K
  • cridgitcridgit Posts: 1,757
    edited May 2022

Redacted

Post edited by cridgit on
  • Virtual_WorldVirtual_World Posts: 1,078
    edited December 1969

Fantastic product! I will be acquiring it soon!

edited December 1969

Thanks everyone! I'm happy to have these out and I'm glad you guys are excited for them.

can it be used as a merchant resource? just askin.

Thanks,
    MW

No, this is not a merchant resource. I'd thought about selling it this way, but being new ground for me I'd like to see how this goes before I do those sorts of sets. I'm personally happy with the job I did texturing here, I'd just need some validation of quality before I market the sort to PAs for their own use.

Hi DT

Will the shaders work in Reality / Lux?

Thanks

The actual shader will not as it's a 3Delight shader like mentioned, so there's no way to do the reflection curves or specular flaring in Lux. Though all of the textures should load fine and should work decently out of box (like Jabba kinda showed), or tweaked a bit to make them look their best. Luxus actually gives me the option to distribute packs of DS Lux shaders though, so depending on how adopted that plugin is I may be able to start doing this.

edited December 1969

*YOINK*

Mineminemine.

• theSeatheSea Posts: 18
    edited December 1969

Dimension Theory - That looks really nice!

Some questions...

The displacement is driven by included texture maps or procedural?

Any corneal transmaps included?

Is there any provision for SSS in the sclera? If not, can this be applied to the Eye Surface Material instead of the cornea/sclera on Gen 4 figures to equivalent effect?

New eye morphs are genesis only?

edited March 2013

theSea said:
    Dimension Theory - That looks really nice!

Some questions...

The displacement is driven by included texture maps or procedural?

Any corneal transmaps included?

Is there any provision for SSS in the sclera? If not, can this be applied to the Eye Surface Material instead of the cornea/sclera on Gen 4 figures to equivalent effect?

New eye morphs are genesis only?

Thank you! :)

The displacement is texture based, procedural would be nice but I imagine it would be very complicated to do veins that way.

Cornea transmaps are included and I've gone out of my way to make them look their best, there are 5 maps that include vein opacity (allowing veins to pass into the cornea realistically) as well as a generic one that just fades.

SSS is a limitation at this point, there's no way to do it with the EYEris shader. It's something I've thought, but for now the only way is to use these textures with a different shader that has SSS.

If you are asking whether or not these presets work on Gen 4 figures they do indeed, though Eye Surface isn't taken into account at all. Something you could do (which you may be hinting at) is using the tear materials I've provided on the Eye Surface, though this will not be affected by bumps from any veins. You will also have to copy the material from tear and paste it to eye surface, as I don't believe the preset will apply to it.

The eye morphs are for Genesis only.

• theSeatheSea Posts: 18
    edited December 1969

Thank you! :)

The displacement is texture based, procedural would be nice but I imagine it would be very complicated to do veins that way.

Cornea transmaps are included and I've gone out of my way to make them look their best, there are 5 maps that include vein opacity (allowing veins to pass into the cornea realistically) as well as a generic one that just fades.

Sweet.

SSS is a limitation at this point, there's no way to do it with the EYEris shader. It's something I've thought, but for now the only way is to use these textures with a different shader that has SSS.

Mmmm... that's an issue for me. SSS is one of the things that _sells_ sclera. A lot of light bounces around in there (naturally). and I don't do ambient. Ambient is for lightbulbs :)

If you are asking whether or not these presets work on Gen 4 figures they do indeed, though Eye Surface isn't taken into account at all. Something you could do (which you may be hinting at) is using the tear materials I've provided on the Eye Surface, though this will not be affected by bumps from any veins. You will also have to copy the material from tear and paste it to eye surface, as I don't believe the preset will apply to it.

And then have the shader with the intriguing specular and reflection effects on the eye surface? As the displacement is texture driven I could probably apply this as well - the UV's are not so different (yes I realize there might be scaling issues). Am not afraid of manually applying maps to appropriate channels :)

As this is a custom Shader, have you included a generic 'apply my shader to this surface' preset? I'm pretty sure copy and paste does not work between surfaces with different shaders for about the last 2.5 major studio releases and mat presets can be problematic when applying to surfaces other than those intended.

The eye morphs are for Genesis only.

Noted.

Okay, I realize my workflow is ridiculously specific, so please pardon my questions.. I have to ensure this will be useful to me before I go for it. That notwithstanding, applause for the concept. Always nice to see some quality shader work!